Are there any other Dragon Ball podcasts that are good?

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Are there any other Dragon Ball podcasts that are good?

Post by sangofe » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:48 am

Google lists a few but which others than Kazenshuu are good? If there are any...

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Are there any other Dragon Ball podcasts that are good?

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:23 am

Moving this down into the "Fan-Created Works" section.

One I'd definitely recommend is All Systems Goku, which actually already has a dedicated thread here with some ongoing discussion. In a nutshell (because you can just read more about it there), it's two editors from the video game website Giant Bomb that decided to, after years of general osmosis and then finally being impressed with a DB video game in the form of FIghterZ, sit down and watch the damn show.

What I like about it is how genuine it is. When you have other anime fans coming to the series, there often is some kind of anime-slanted preconception that can get in the way. And you know me: when I'm listening to anyone else who claims to be an expert on the show make any kind of minor error, I'm throwing tables upside down and running out into traffic demanding heads on platters.

(No, I'm really not... though I hope people actually do that to me on my show when I make a passing mistake. Hold me accountable, please.)

So that being said, there really aren't any others that I'd recommend... but also mainly because I'm not listening to them. I realize I'm in an unique position, because... well... look what I have at my disposal. If I want to get viewpoints from the best people, I can just ask them myself, either on the forum or on my OWN damn podcast! :)

I hope you enjoy All Systems Goku for what it is based on my own and others' recommendations.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:41 am

Thanks, man!

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:16 am

VegettoEX wrote:Moving this down into the "Fan-Created Works" section.

One I'd definitely recommend is All Systems Goku, which actually already has a dedicated thread here with some ongoing discussion. In a nutshell (because you can just read more about it there), it's two editors from the video game website Giant Bomb that decided to, after years of general osmosis and then finally being impressed with a DB video game in the form of FIghterZ, sit down and watch the damn show.

What I like about it is how genuine it is. When you have other anime fans coming to the series, there often is some kind of anime-slanted preconception that can get in the way. And you know me: when I'm listening to anyone else who claims to be an expert on the show make any kind of minor error, I'm throwing tables upside down and running out into traffic demanding heads on platters.

(No, I'm really not... though I hope people actually do that to me on my show when I make a passing mistake. Hold me accountable, please.)

So that being said, there really aren't any others that I'd recommend... but also mainly because I'm not listening to them. I realize I'm in an unique position, because... well... look what I have at my disposal. If I want to get viewpoints from the best people, I can just ask them myself, either on the forum or on my OWN damn podcast! :)

I hope you enjoy All Systems Goku for what it is based on my own and others' recommendations.
I wanted to delete my previous post and write a new one. I have listened to the first two now and Wow, it's amazing to listen them genuinely liking the show, hear the comparisons they make, hear their reasoning - - I keep smiling and laughing while listening to this. They were discussing having guests, and I definetely think you should be one, Mike.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:12 pm

Geekdom101 has a series of interviews and commentaries with Kanzenshuu's own Herms that I rather enjoyed, including discussions on specific subjects (the strongest Buu, how Herms got into DB and learned Japanese, debunking a certain rumor around Super, etc.) and a long arc by arc retrospective of the DBZ anime.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:46 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:Geekdom101 has a series of interviews and commentaries with Kanzenshuu's own Herms that I rather enjoyed, including discussions on specific subjects (the strongest Buu, how Herms got into DB and learned Japanese, debunking a certain rumor around Super, etc.) and a long arc by arc retrospective of the DBZ anime.
On his youtube, or as a podcast? Called what if it's a podcast?

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:28 pm

sangofe wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:Geekdom101 has a series of interviews and commentaries with Kanzenshuu's own Herms that I rather enjoyed, including discussions on specific subjects (the strongest Buu, how Herms got into DB and learned Japanese, debunking a certain rumor around Super, etc.) and a long arc by arc retrospective of the DBZ anime.
On his youtube, or as a podcast? Called what if it's a podcast?
On his YouTube, though the content is purely audio. Here's the playlist of the retrospective section:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUwD0tk ... pSghbpPvuw
It's about six and a half hours from start to finish. There are various other miscellaneous videos such as:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GspPU57Waf0 - Herms interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpRNGMYO-wo - Geekdom and Herms talk Dragon Ball Super
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9qmPDrI5g4 - which Majin Buu is the strongest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OwAPRvIXxo - anime vs manga: Super's Champa arc
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.