How to make a fan dub?

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bigray
Beyond Newbie

How to make a fan dub?

Post by bigray » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:12 am

I wanted to make a fan dub for laughs. How can I go about removing the Japanese voices from DBS do I can add my voices with the music score still in tact?

Thanks

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: How to make a fan dub?

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:52 pm

That's not possible. You're gonna have to track down the original songs and place them in the exact same place as they did in the original series, in your video editing software of choice.

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:06 pm

FoolsGil wrote:That's not possible. You're gonna have to track down the original songs and place them in the exact same place as they did in the original series, in your video editing software of choice.
Damn, so people put a lot of work in their videos when fan dubbing. I thought they just did voice overs.

All good, not worth going through all that trouble

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:11 pm

No problem. Happy to help.

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:45 pm

FoolsGil wrote:That's not possible. You're gonna have to track down the original songs and place them in the exact same place as they did in the original series, in your video editing software of choice.
I'm not sure if dbs is different but I was just reading that with movies that are 5.1, there's a high chance that the voices are on that channel and you can just mute it.

Would you know if this will work if I buy the Japanese Blu ray and try it?

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:23 pm

bigray wrote:
I'm not sure if dbs is different but I was just reading that with movies that are 5.1, there's a high chance that the voices are on that channel and you can just mute it.

Would you know if this will work if I buy the Japanese Blu ray and try it?
I couldn't answer that, I don't know anything about 5.1 movies.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:04 pm

AFAIK only Funi's releases have surround sound audio tracks, and even then it only applies to Funi's dubs...and even then they are releases with NO 5.1 audio tracks (everything containing an Ocean dub, as well as all the pre-OB episode singles except for the Ultimate Uncut sets). For dissecting for the purposes of fan dubbing, your best bets would be the DB 4 Movie Pack DVDs, the DBZ Double Feature Blu-Rays, the Blue Brick DVDs for OG DB, the DBZ Season Blu-rays (you could get the Levels if you want to, but they're short lived) (also, the UUC singles have a 5.1 mix that uses different music from the releases starting with the OB's, though their episode range is shorter than even the Levels), the Green Brick DVDs for GT, and for Kai, BOG, Res 'F', Super etc you could just get the Blu-Ray releases (though note that Kai Parts 1-4 might have a different musical score than Kai Seasons 1-2 depending on where you buy those parts, though after that the Parts and Seasons are in sync)
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:49 pm

Danfun64 wrote:AFAIK only Funi's releases have surround sound audio tracks, and even then it only applies to Funi's dubs...and even then they are releases with NO 5.1 audio tracks (everything containing an Ocean dub, as well as all the pre-OB episode singles except for the Ultimate Uncut sets). For dissecting for the purposes of fan dubbing, your best bets would be the DB 4 Movie Pack DVDs, the DBZ Double Feature Blu-Rays, the Blue Brick DVDs for OG DB, the DBZ Season Blu-rays (you could get the Levels if you want to, but they're short lived) (also, the UUC singles have a 5.1 mix that uses different music from the releases starting with the OB's, though their episode range is shorter than even the Levels), the Green Brick DVDs for GT, and for Kai, BOG, Res 'F', Super etc you could just get the Blu-Ray releases (though note that Kai Parts 1-4 might have a different musical score than Kai Seasons 1-2 depending on where you buy those parts, though after that the Parts and Seasons are in sync)
Thank you for the info!

So I guess dubbing Japanese version isn't possible. Might do an earlier version for fun

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:21 am

bigray wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:AFAIK only Funi's releases have surround sound audio tracks, and even then it only applies to Funi's dubs...and even then they are releases with NO 5.1 audio tracks (everything containing an Ocean dub, as well as all the pre-OB episode singles except for the Ultimate Uncut sets). For dissecting for the purposes of fan dubbing, your best bets would be the DB 4 Movie Pack DVDs, the DBZ Double Feature Blu-Rays, the Blue Brick DVDs for OG DB, the DBZ Season Blu-rays (you could get the Levels if you want to, but they're short lived) (also, the UUC singles have a 5.1 mix that uses different music from the releases starting with the OB's, though their episode range is shorter than even the Levels), the Green Brick DVDs for GT, and for Kai, BOG, Res 'F', Super etc you could just get the Blu-Ray releases (though note that Kai Parts 1-4 might have a different musical score than Kai Seasons 1-2 depending on where you buy those parts, though after that the Parts and Seasons are in sync)
Thank you for the info!

So I guess dubbing Japanese version isn't possible. Might do an earlier version for fun
Super only uses the Japanese music though.. so if you removed the center channel from the Funimation releases, it would certainly help by reducing the volume of the dialog..

For Z you'd do the same thing with the English Dialog + Japanese Music tracks, which are 5.1 too.

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:19 pm

LordCrumb wrote:
bigray wrote:
Thank you for the info!

Super only uses the Japanese music though.. so if you removed the center channel from the Funimation releases, it would certainly help by reducing the volume of the dialog..

For Z you'd do the same thing with the English Dialog + Japanese Music tracks, which are 5.1 too.
Sorry I meant that I can't dub one of the newer episodes that hasn't been released by Funimation yet.

Jackdaslayer

Post by Jackdaslayer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:07 am

I made a fan dub of Super Dragonball heroes but after doing 2 episodes, I just cba since the series bored me but hope you like!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZG3-iWCfsU&t=33s

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:08 pm

Jackdaslayer wrote:I made a fan dub of Super Dragonball heroes but after doing 2 episodes, I just cba since the series bored me but hope you like!

Decent but wish Goku and Vegeta's voices weren't just copycats of FUNimation's dub, something original would've been nice.

Jackdaslayer

Post by Jackdaslayer » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:17 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Jackdaslayer wrote:I made a fan dub of Super Dragonball heroes but after doing 2 episodes, I just cba since the series bored me but hope you like!

Decent but wish Goku and Vegeta's voices weren't just copycats of FUNimation's dub, something original would've been nice.

oh that's what i was going for as it's what most people would recognise

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:46 pm

Jackdaslayer wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:

oh that's what i was going for as it's what most people would recognise
Lol that's how I look at it. Basically rate it by how exact it is to the official voice actors.

Never considered someone changing up the voices to be original and enjoying it more than the funi dub