Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis (Updated: 01/22/19)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis (Updated: 01/22/19)

Post by OhHiRenan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:33 pm

I've been wanting to write a series of articles about Dragon Ball for a few years now. Taking inspiration from MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection December and TeamFourStar's DBcember, I wanted to use the holiday season as an excuse to finally bring my passion for the series into written form. Originally, I had wanted to write a series called "42-in-42" where every week I would read and review a volume of the Dragon Ball manga while analyzing how the tankobon format worked in the benefit or detriment of the overall story. As I do review games as part of my career already, and I initially only wanted to publish articles in December, I decided against 42-in-42 and went with "Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis."

Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis is a series of articles that analyzes the Dragon Ball anime as an adaptation of the Dragon Ball manga. Throughout these articles, I discuss what I believe to be the series' core themes and philosophies while reflecting on how the anime adapts Dragon Ball's core events. Of what I have written thus far, I would say that, despite the title, Adaptation Analysis is a traditional analysis of Dragon Ball first and foremost with the adaptation angle serving as a means of discussing the anime and manga in the same breath. At the end of each arc, I analyze which medium best told the arc's story. Where I had originally envisioned seven articles published over the course of December (one for each of the first anime's six adapted arcs + the wedding dress filler,) I ultimately found that the articles were too long. The Red Ribbon Army article ended up being 15,000 words. As a result, I have split the seven articles into 17 entries which will be published every Monday starting December 3, 2018 on https://www.goombastomp.com/.

I'll be updating this post and thread every week with links to the articles themselves. I would love to read any feedback you all may have when the articles themselves start publishing. Until then, see you soon!

---
Hunt for the Dragon Balls arc
Part 1: The Monkey King

Part 2: Wish Upon a Dragon

21st Tenkaichi Budokai arc
Part 3: The Training of Kame Sen'nin

Part 4: Strongest Under the Heavens

Red Ribbon Army arc
Part 5: The Red Ribbon Army

Part 6: The Terror of Muscle Tower

Part 7: General Blue and the Pirate Treasure

Part 8: Taopaipai and Master Karin
Last edited by OhHiRenan on Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 12 times in total.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis (Updates every Monday)

Post by OhHiRenan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:29 pm

Happy Monday, everyone! Part 1 of Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis is finally live. This week, I'm taking a look at the start of the series itself and how the Hunt for the Dragon Balls arc introduces of to Son Goku and the world around him.

Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis Part 1: The Monkey King

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis (Updated: 12/03/18)

Post by OhHiRenan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:26 pm

This week on Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis, the main cast meets a dragon, Oolong gets some new underpants, and Goku's character gets some welcome direction.

Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis Part 2: Wish Upon a Dragon

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis (Updated: 12/10/18)

Post by OhHiRenan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:03 pm

The series heads into its second story arc, and I finally get to discuss what I believe are Dragon Ball's core themes. This, to me, is when I started to feel proud of my write-up. In discussing Dragon Ball's themes, I felt validated in my belief that there is something deeper to the series.

But let me know what you all think! I'd love to see what everyone considers to be DB's thematic backbone.

Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis Part 3: The Training of Kame Sen'nin

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis (Updated: 12/17/18)

Post by OhHiRenan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:39 pm

Happy holidays! This week, I’m tackling the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai in full and closing out the second arc. Before I started my analysis, I ranked the 21st TB as one of the series’ weakest arcs, but it really won me over. It’s easily one of the best story arcs in the entire franchise.

Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis Part 4: Strongest Under the Heavens

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis (Updated: 12/24/18)

Post by OhHiRenan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:07 pm

Happy New Years, everyone! This episode actually went up on Monday, but I couldn't find time to hop on a computer to update this thread. Lateness aside, here's the Red Ribbon Army arc's beginning! In hindsight, I think I was way too harsh on the arc early on. As I kept reading and watching, I grew to love the arc more than I ever have before which will be reflected in later entries. I do still stand by my writings in this first installment, though.

Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis Part 5: The Red Ribbon Army

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis (Updated: 12/31/18)

Post by OhHiRenan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:44 pm

This week on Adaptation Analysis, we're taking a look at Muscle Tower! Going into this portion, I remember not really enjoying it, but I was blown away by its structure. To me, Muscle Tower reads like Toriyama experimenting with the Tenkaichi Budokai format in the style of the first arc. It isn't perfect, but it makes for a fun, action-packed romp with plenty of memorable moments.

Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis Part 6: The Terror of Muscle Tower

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis (Updated: 01/07/19)

Post by OhHiRenan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:21 pm

We had an issue over on the website that ended up deleting all published articles for a bit so I'm just now getting Part 7 up and ready. Apologies for the delay, but hopefully we'll be back on the regular schedule soon enough! Worst case, Part 8 might be a bit late as well, but I'm hoping Part 9 will be ready to go on its expected Monday.

Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis Part 7: General Blue and the Pirate Treasure

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis (Updated: 01/22/19)

Post by OhHiRenan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:52 pm

Not quite back on the Monday schedule yet, but we're coming close! I have high hopes that Part 9 will street us back on the proper course.

That said, this week we're covering my personal favorite stretch of the Red Ribbon Army arc and one of my favorite stretches in all of Dragon Ball period: Goku's battles with Taopaipai and his training with Karin.

Dragon Ball - Adaptation Analysis Part 8: Taopaipai and Master Karin