DragonBall Z: The Room 29 Productions Dub

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

DragonBall Z: The Room 29 Productions Dub

Post by Kaboom » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:18 pm

Okay, I've just come up with a brilliant idea. It will either take off and at least merit some discussion, or will be shot down faster than you can say, "No, Yamcha, they most definitely do not have parachutes," which actually takes a bit of time to say, but you get the point.
  • ** We should make our own dub. **
Yes? No?

I'm just thinking that it would be fun, and... "informative" to, rather than complain and gripe about various English language adaptations, to start a forum/site-wide project where we (try to) make up our own.

No, I'm not talking about the entire series. That's a bit too much. But think about it; we could probably at least do one of the movies, preferably one with a wide cast of characters (like #7 or #13).
  • :arrow: Someone with the movies DragonBox could provide the footage.

:arrow: For dialogue, we'd make up a script based around Monsiuer Simmons' translations, and hold auditions for the voices.

:arrow: Those amongst us with large CD collections would provide the appropriate BGM, and I'm sure we could get a hold of files for sound effects somewhere.

:arrow: If Mike and/or anyone else with such mastery of video editing are willing to participate, then they could handle the more technical stuff, or collaborate on actually putting it together editing-wise.
For those of you who know me, you'd probably be surprised to discover that I'm actually being pretty serious about this. I think it would be a great project which, with a little effort and cooperation all around, could produce something very good, and be an HFIL of a fun thing to do.

Anyone else think this is worth trying?
Last edited by Kaboom on Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:25 pm

I like the idea, and I don't think the technical stuff would be a problem, although... :? does anybody here have any voice acting talent ?

desirecampbell

Re: DragonBall Z: The DaizEX Group Dub

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:26 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
  • ** We should make our own dub. **
That'll show 'em heh heh heh.

I think it'd be fun - but we must have Julian-sensei for narration. Something about his voice is so... senseiesque.

This idea is so awesome I think it only appropriate to say: it makes me feel something resembling joy, I think.
QuantumDestiny wrote:I like the idea, and I don't think the technical stuff would be a problem, although... :? does anybody here have any voice acting talent ?
"Talent", damnit! I knew I'd get cut for some stupid reason. *pout*

-edit-
Well, I was the best actor in my high school. Won awards, and everything.
Last edited by desirecampbell on Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:29 pm

QuantumDestiny wrote:I like the idea, and I don't think the technical stuff would be a problem, although... :? does anybody here have any voice acting talent ?
I've been in a highschool play or two... So long as I don't have to sing (i.e. Movie 8 Kuririn), I'm more than willing to audition.
desirecampbell wrote:I think it'd be fun - but we must have Julian-sensei for narration. Something about his voice is so... senseiesque.
:D *Agreed*
desirecampbell wrote:This idea is so awesome I think it only appropriate to say: it makes me feel something resembling joy, I think.
Um... We'll just go and omit that line. We'd definitely have to include a "LET THAT CHILD ALONE!" in there somewhere, though.
deviantART
[thread]

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:30 pm

I'll help out, Kaboom. I see Julian and Mr. Daimou being worked like slaves. :roll: This project should work with the podcast because from what I understand, the podcast actually leads people to the forum, right?
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:34 pm

Well, I'm not so much worried about the V.A.ing talent of anyone who participates... I'm more worried about the sound quality. I'm sure not everyone has a professional-quality microphone handy. I know I don't.

Dear Mike, if you're reading this... what kind of equipment do you use for the podcast, and is there a somewhat cheap variety that the most of us could pick up at Best Buy or something? Also, are you willing to help out if this gets up and running? Amen.
deviantART
[thread]

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:36 pm

I'm up for it. I just dont have a microphone.

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:37 pm

This is a bad idea, because-

-Internet projects like this never seem to work, especially on forums
+Do we know anyone who can do decent sounding ADR work for free?
&Any decent voice-specific actors out there who'd want to do this?
<People complain about how things are translated etc
$People generally lose motivation even if they think they're "SUPER COOL AWESOME WE WUB JAPAN OMG SIMMONS-SENSEI" enthusiastic
#Varying audio quality. This applies to people with nice super expensive microphones, and shitty webcam ones because "hey man its all i got fuk u", and because you might not be able to mix things properly so you'll have HUGE MUSICand tiny sound effects that sound kinda weak and lame.

8====3And finally, because it's in general a bad idea.

Now, if you're going to continue, then yeah, but I would honestly suggest doing some kind of parody dub. 'Serious' projects like this that lead to 'Serious' results often end in humiliating disaster, assuming they ever get off the ground (hey, check out the Sun Wukong calender thread assuming it didn't get nuked from orbit).

2 cents.
Last edited by Blitzen on Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:39 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Well, I'm not so much worried about the V.A.ing talent of anyone who participates... I'm more worried about the sound quality. I'm sure not everyone has a professional-quality microphone handy. I know I don't.

Dear Mike, if you're reading this... what kind of equipment do you use for the podcast, and is there a somewhat cheap variety that the most of us could pick up at Best Buy or something? Also, are you willing to help out if this gets up and running? Amen.
I think the most important part will be to clean up the sound in post production. Which should be handled by someone who knows what they're doing (ie: not me).

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:42 pm

I'm up for it! (My voice is kinda high though, I guess I can do voices for Dende and such xD)
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

ssjBardock

Post by ssjBardock » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:46 pm

It's kinda redondent, it's been done before wheither good or bad.
It's sorta like the animanga, you watch the origanal.

Second, I will cost money! And also Funi owns the rights to DBZ, you could get sued out of oblivion....

It's a good idea :) But be careful because Funi are jerks :evil:
...visit www.gaiaonline.com it's a cool website.
This website is cool as well! :]

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:46 pm

desirecampbell wrote: I think the most important part will be to clean up the sound in post production. Which should be handled by someone who knows what they're doing (ie: not me).
Even in post production, if the original source of the voice sound choppy and shitty there's going to be very little you can do to bring it all up to the exact same standard, which is important because otherwise its going to disturb folk in their enjoyment.

ssjBardock

Post by ssjBardock » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:47 pm

It's kinda redondent, it's been done before wheither good or bad.
It's sorta like the animanga, you watch the origanal.

Second, I will cost money! And also Funi owns the rights to DBZ, you could get sued out of oblivion....

...visit www.gaiaonline.com it's a cool website.
This website is cool as well! :]

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:48 pm

For sure, I could totally do a killer voice-over! Let me know what I can do.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:49 pm

Blitzen wrote:
desirecampbell wrote: I think the most important part will be to clean up the sound in post production. Which should be handled by someone who knows what they're doing (ie: not me).
Even in post production, if the original source of the voice sound choppy and shitty there's going to be very little you can do to bring it all up to the exact same standard, which is important because otherwise its going to disturb folk in their enjoyment.
True. Audio quality should be a big part of the audition.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:49 pm

Blitzen wrote: Internet projects like this never seem to work, especially on forums
It's nothing huge. We wouldn't be dubbing the entire series or anything. Just an hour-long movie.
Blitzen wrote:Do we know anyone who can do decent sounding ADR work for free?

We've got plenty of people around who make AMVs and stuff, and seem to be pretty decent with sound mixing.
Blitzen wrote: Any decent voice-specific actors out there who'd want to do this?
Members of this forum who can do goofy voices. I never even once suggested hiring "professionals."
Blitzen wrote: People complain about how things are translated etc
People generally lose motivation even if they think they're "SUPER COOL AWESOME WE WUB JAPAN OMG SIMMONS-SENSEI" enthusiastic
I suggested basing the dialogue off of Steve's translations of the original japanese. It's the best reference we have.
Blitzen wrote: And finally, because it's in general a bad idea.
'Sez you. :P

EDIT:
desirecampbell wrote:
Blitzen wrote:
True. Audio quality should be a big part of the audition.
Yeah, that's the only part I'm really worried about. Music, SFX, and the like will be fine, so long as we have CDs and the like. But we'd have to have some way for people to either end up with "decent"-quality recordings or some way to clean it up to a usable degree afterwards.

Now, it's 10:53 PM where I am, and I'm going to bed.
Last edited by Kaboom on Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deviantART
[thread]

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:52 pm

Sounds like fun, unfortunately I don't think Mike, Meri and Julian have the time to help with something like this... but if they want to help, by all means, go ahead! I love the idea of Julian as the narrator. And Mike can do gay Freeza! :roll:

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:53 pm

This is just a fan project, a tribute to DragonBall, so I don't see what's a bad idea about it. XD... Kaboom I want to hear a clip of you soon, as an example audition. Worry about the sound quality and so forth after you have some people to actually speak!

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:53 pm

ssjBardock wrote:It's kinda redondent, it's been done before wheither good or bad.
The entirety of making 'original' productions of preexisting works is *REDUNDANT* anyway but that's not the point, it's not meant to replace the original, nor is it being sold.
Second, I will cost money!
Type learning plz
And also Funi owns the rights to DBZ, you could get sued out of oblivion....

FUNimation wouldn't sue over a fandub that no one is going to watch. They haven't taken up severe arms against the thousands of people downloading subbed and ripped versions of their own products being distroed through bittorrent and IRC all over the world, they won't take issue with this.

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:55 pm

I have a condenser mic and a soundboard. I edit audio and record songs as well (I guess you could say my bedroom is a studio). I'm in!