Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Post by mAcChaos » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:05 am

All this does is make me notice that Vegito's hair isn't swaying in the right direction. :lol:
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

testing223
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by testing223 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:29 am

Fionordequester wrote:I think you're being unfair here. Even if they do look similar, it's not a sin to do that. Heck, Akira did that!
Nah, that's pretty obviously traced/copied!

But most people will ignore it since the quality's pretty good!
I play baseball and work in LA.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:37 am

testing223 wrote:
Fionordequester wrote:I think you're being unfair here. Even if they do look similar, it's not a sin to do that. Heck, Akira did that!
Nah, that's pretty obviously traced/copied!

But most people will ignore it since the quality's pretty good!
No... :roll:. The impact on his cheek is not the same, the right ear is not the same, the left ear is noticeable in one and not the other, the chin is more pointy in one of them, one eye is open in one and not in the other, the mouth is different because of the different impact on the cheek, the shading is different across the face, the hair is different, the speed lines are different...

He probably just took that scene for reference and drew his own.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:44 pm

I could care less if it's traced or not. I may like art but I'm not a critic. Besides the fact Saligir wanted this to happen, and it's nothing to complain about if you're tracing from your own work.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:49 pm

Like others have said it's not that bad if he was inspired from a page originally from the fan manga...It would be worse if they completely ripped of stuff like Jiji's DBAF did with Gohan vs Ice or what ever his name was.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:13 pm

It's just a similar angle, I'm not seeing the 'traced' thing at all. I'm pretty sure we see a punch from an angle like this a handful of times in the anime too (not sure about the manga) without it being a direct copy, so...what's the big deal?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:21 pm

I don't even care if they are tracing themselves or not, but if you aren't willing to admit that the two are way more than similar, then it seems like you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. I mean, the most basic of lines between the two match up almost perfectly; from Cold/Broli's fist/eyes, to the placement of Bardock/Vegetto's head/neck/collarbone.

You don't just free hand another image for reference and end up with the shapes lining up that perfectly. I would almost guarantee that the Vegetto/Broli image was digitally traced over and then altered to represent the required characters and fit the artist's own personal style.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:44 pm

It's just a similar panel. There's no evidence that it was "traced" or what have you. There's so many similar action sequences that you can find in every damn comic out there. People are too quick to try to "expose" things that they don't always use their brains.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:55 pm

Are you honestly saying that I'm not using my brain while actually observing and pointing out pretty much all the lines matching up perfectly while overlayed? Because it lines up perfectly enough that you can fuse the two images into a single picture, with the parts swapped out and still look normal.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:08 pm

The position matches perfectly once we tilt the image. The lines themselves don't, which is why the impact on his cheek is not the same, the right ear is not the same, the left ear is noticeable in one and not the other, the chin is more pointy in one of them, one eye is open in one and not in the other, the mouth is different because of the different impact on the cheek, the shading is different across the face, the hair is different, the speed lines are different... etc.

Like I said, he probably used the panel as a reference (for the position and angle). And then drew his own based on it.
Marco Polo wrote:
rereboy wrote:A similar pose or angle is NOT a ripoff.
That just shows more effectively what I've been saying. We can see the differences in the ears, impact on the cheek, hair, eye, mouth, speed lines, etc, while the position, the angle and the attack is basically the same.
Last edited by rereboy on Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:15 pm

It seems people have different definitions for tracing.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:28 pm

mAcChaos wrote:It seems people have different definitions for tracing.
He definitely used something like that for the angle and position of the fighters. But that's about it. Look at Cold and Broly's left elbow and forearm, how they are not exactly in the same place, despite the fact that their left hand is. Notice how Vegetto's collar bone is pretty much a straight line, while Bardock's is a curved line. Look at Vegetto's/Bardock's right ear, how its more elongated in one of them, how their chin is slightly pointier, how Bardock's stomach is noticeable and Vegetto's not really, how the impact on the cheek varies, changing the mouth of Vegetto/Bardock accordingly. Etc.

Its even possible that he could have matched the position and angle just looking at it and replicating it, but it would be very difficult to do so.

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Post by Malik_DBNA » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:39 pm

I don't care that it was traced (it clearly is) because I like DBM. All doujinshis trace or reference the subject material. Just because not everything is completely identical doesn't mean it wasn't traced.

For example (and a good example of reference work, this doujinsnhi page was clearly inspired by DBZ, but as can be seen, though the posing and flow of the panels are virtually the same, the lines are clearly referenced and not traced:
That particular panel in DBM matches too perfectly, despite MINOR differences (which can be done while the images are being drawn, just to try and through off people), to not be traced. The spacing, lines, flow, and poses are pretty much identical and spot on. I don't like declaring anyone a tracer, but this one is painfully obvious. If you'd like a clear example of extreme tracing (or has he called it, "homages"), check out Nick Simmons' Incarnate

Doesn't bother me though. Merely an observation.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:48 pm

I don't really disagree with you Malik_DBNA, but I was just pointing out that what is probably traced is the position and angle of the fighters. Almost all details besides the position and angle of the fighters were redrawn, I believe, which explains the inconsistencies I pointed out.

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Post by Malik_DBNA » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:14 pm

rereboy wrote:I don't really disagree with you Malik_DBNA, but I was just pointing out that what is probably traced is the position and angle of the fighters. Almost all details besides the position and angle of the fighters were redrawn, I believe, which explains the inconsistencies I pointed out.
Exactly. Most likely, the major lines (arms, head, etc) were traced, and Asura added the details himself

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:52 pm

Which still implies the majority, the important overall lines that make up the panel, were traced though...

The way rereboy was choosing to word himself, especially early on with the rolling of eyes, makes it sound as if he feels nothing in the panels are similar. I don't think anyone who was tossing out the "t" word was saying that the entire panel was copied line for line, it's obviously not seeing how one is of Broli vs. Vegetto and the other Cold vs. Bardock. Broli and Cold at least look nothing like each other, so it'd be impossible to trace Broli and come out with Cold. Those minute little changes being pointing out don't invalidate the tracing claim though.

If I grab a picture of Saiyan Arc Yamcha and trace most of the body as a base, but alter a lot of the drawing to end up with Buu Arc Goku,...well, I still traced the image. That's all that was being said.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:25 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Which still implies the majority, the important overall lines that make up the panel, were traced though...
Actually, no. The majority of the lines are in the details. The position and angle just set the boundaries.

But at this point we are just basically discussing what we think matters most.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:20 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
The way rereboy was choosing to word himself, especially early on with the rolling of eyes, makes it sound as if he feels nothing in the panels are similar. .
I forgot to comment this. Even in that comment you are mentioning, I admit that he probably used that scene as a reference or template or whatever. The focus of my comments was to point out that there was a lot more going on on that panel than simply the re-use of the position and angle of Gogeta Jr's panel. It was practically fully redrawn.

New page:

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:03 pm

Very unfortunate for Bardock. But who knows, maybe now he'll realize how much more powerful he can become and will be able to kill Raichi back in U3.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:09 pm

I personally want Cold to win for once.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/