DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:50 am

HeroR wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:Colour me incorrect on Xenoverse, I guess. Personally, I would put 2 above 1 purely for the lack of bullshit super armour, but if story is the main draw, I think 1 does actually have 2 beat. It felt like they were more creative with their "what-if" scenarios.

As for this latest episode...it was fine. I don't mind that they're moving on to Buu's Fury, the Figlocke was a fun gag, but not sustainable in the long-term. And as for the comments on Super, as a fan of the show, it doesn't bother me. It's hard to really argue with the criticism of Jiren. As I've said elsewhere, it's an idea the show has committed to, and you either like it or you don't.

If you care about TFS' opinions on Super, I think Lani and Kaiser are much better at being critical of it and actually unpacking why something worked or didn't work. Obviously Masako does his reviews as well, but they're kind of a separate thing. Kirran and Grant just seem to dislike it on principle, so if you like the show, then don't put too much stock into what they have to say about it. And they like GT, so who gives a shit what they think anyway :lol:
What principle?

Masako I have mixed feelings about. For the most part, he's a positive and funny person. But when he's salty, it leaks into everything. Like his reviews on Super were noticeably bitter when he learned Freeza was returning to replace Buu and he still blames Goku for the TOP, despite everyone saying that Goku's recklessness was a good thing in the long run. He also goes on the narrative that the Universal Survival Saga is Super's 'last chance', completely ignoring that the Future Trunks Saga had smashing ratings and the Champa Saga before that had very good ratings too. Even funnier, he called the Future Trunks Saga Super's 'last chance'. Like, how many 'last chances' do Super have?
I haven't gotten that vibe from Masako at all. He's been for the most part, extremely positive about the ToP arc. Yeah, he was upset about the Buu thing, but weren't we all? He had the exact same consensus the rest of the fandom had about that, which was:

Freeza return leaked: This is the worst, what have you done Toei, Super is ruined forever.
Episode 95 airs: OMG GIVE ME ALL THE FREEZA.

His reviews skew very positive overall, and his other videos include a lot of deep dives into the new lore. The last one that came out was an in-depth speculation about Belmod for example. It should be pretty obvious he's onboard with the new direction when he's doing in-depth videos about such a (at this point) minor character. And you know, he can still be critical, that's healthy. His last review gave 119 a hammering, as it rightly deserved.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:45 am

Kataphrut wrote:
I haven't gotten that vibe from Masako at all. He's been for the most part, extremely positive about the ToP arc. Yeah, he was upset about the Buu thing, but weren't we all? He had the exact same consensus the rest of the fandom had about that, which was:

Freeza return leaked: This is the worst, what have you done Toei, Super is ruined forever.
Episode 95 airs: OMG GIVE ME ALL THE FREEZA.

His reviews skew very positive overall, and his other videos include a lot of deep dives into the new lore. The last one that came out was an in-depth speculation about Belmod for example. It should be pretty obvious he's onboard with the new direction when he's doing in-depth videos about such a (at this point) minor character. And you know, he can still be critical, that's healthy. His last review gave 119 a hammering, as it rightly deserved.
He was like that early in his review, mostly because he was still butt hurt about how the Future Trunks Saga ended which is where the 'this is Super last chance' kept getting pushed, despite the Future Trunks Saga having great ratings, increased Super's market share, and was generally liked despite everything. And he was extremely mad and bitter about Frieza to the point that it leaked into everything he did, which got extremely annoying. He had at least two videos, one even called 'Toei's Folly' about Buu.

Honestly, I wasn't upset about Freeza. I was very interesting where they would go with this while the rest of the fanbase was acting like babies.

Honestly, a lot of his theory videos comes off as pointless spitballing and it's his weakest content, imo.

119 was easy to hammer and several people did it, so I don't see what makes MasakoX special in that regard.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Asura

Post by Asura » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:46 pm

HeroR wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:Colour me incorrect on Xenoverse, I guess. Personally, I would put 2 above 1 purely for the lack of bullshit super armour, but if story is the main draw, I think 1 does actually have 2 beat. It felt like they were more creative with their "what-if" scenarios.

As for this latest episode...it was fine. I don't mind that they're moving on to Buu's Fury, the Figlocke was a fun gag, but not sustainable in the long-term. And as for the comments on Super, as a fan of the show, it doesn't bother me. It's hard to really argue with the criticism of Jiren. As I've said elsewhere, it's an idea the show has committed to, and you either like it or you don't.

If you care about TFS' opinions on Super, I think Lani and Kaiser are much better at being critical of it and actually unpacking why something worked or didn't work. Obviously Masako does his reviews as well, but they're kind of a separate thing. Kirran and Grant just seem to dislike it on principle, so if you like the show, then don't put too much stock into what they have to say about it. And they like GT, so who gives a shit what they think anyway :lol:
What principle?

Masako I have mixed feelings about. For the most part, he's a positive and funny person. But when he's salty, it leaks into everything. Like his reviews on Super were noticeably bitter when he learned Freeza was returning to replace Buu and he still blames Goku for the TOP, despite everyone saying that Goku's recklessness was a good thing in the long run. He also goes on the narrative that the Universal Survival Saga is Super's 'last chance', completely ignoring that the Future Trunks Saga had smashing ratings and the Champa Saga before that had very good ratings too. Even funnier, he called the Future Trunks Saga Super's 'last chance'. Like, how many 'last chances' do Super have?
Everyone was noticeably bitter when we learned Freeza was replacing Buu, and rightfully so given how horribly they've treated both characters in the past. The ToP is still Goku's fault in the eyes of the other universes, which is why Champa called all the other GoDs before the tournament to aim at U7. Goku's actions leading up to saving at least one universe was more like a happy little accident than anything else, because otherwise it just made Goku look like a terrible person. Super had an awful start and the U6 arc really wasn't all that spectacular, Super was still viewed negatively in the eyes of most people. The reason why he's called the ToP arc "Super's last chance" in the past is because while the Future Trunks arc had some great highs, the way they ended it was horrifically divisive, and for a show that's already had a really rough start and tons of criticism thrown at it, having such a divisive ending like that one would definitely make people give up on the series if this arc was as as shitty as the FT arc ending which made a lot of people give up on Super because of what a huge middle finger it was to a lot of fans.
HeroR wrote:And he was extremely mad and bitter about Frieza to the point that it leaked into everything he did, which got extremely annoying. He had at least two videos, one even called 'Toei's Folly' about Buu.

Honestly, I wasn't upset about Freeza. I was very interesting where they would go with this while the rest of the fanbase was acting like babies.

Honestly, a lot of his theory videos comes off as pointless spitballing and it's his weakest content, imo.
You might not have been upset about Freeza, but just about nearly everyone else was, and for very good reason given how the character was handled in the past. After 94 and 95, the vast majority of us were well on board the Freeza train including Masako, so not sure what your problem is with him there. And there's nothing wrong with talking about Toei's Folly with Buu because that's literally what it is. They don't know what to do with Buu's character and if someone actually thinks Buu has been handled well in Super they're delusional.

While I agree that a lot of his theory videos completely overanalyze things and more often than not miss the mark, they're still interesting takes on the subject.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:00 pm

I wonder why MasakoX is not much participative in stuff TFS does like DBcember, they are a team right? But we often see just Lani, Kaiser and Takahata.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:58 pm

Noah wrote:I wonder why MasakoX is not much participative in stuff TFS does like DBcember, they are a team right? But we often see just Lani, Kaiser and Takahata.
Well, he DOES record his parts from the "Goku's Gonna Show You" video series on their gaming channel, but yeah. Maybe it's because he's more so been at a secondary level on their TFS channels for years now & he's more on his own stuff than the main TFS stuff. TFS is more Lani, Taka, & Kaiser anyways. I'd love to see Masako on the main TFS channels, but I understand why he isn't.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:02 pm

There is a thread for discussing MaskaoX's main channel stuff. Might be a good idea to take further discussion over there instead of sidetracking the DBZA thread.

So, TFS is working on a game now, too. That's pretty cool. I don't know if it's necessarily my thing, but between AnimeFMK, TFS at the Table and that Otak-U Tech thing, I'm pretty happy with a lot of their new content at the moment. Also, as a fan of My Hero Academia, I get a kick out of seeing Justin Brinner pop up in their stuff.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:25 pm

Dragon Ball Origins (DS) is TFS #10 pick for best DB videogame.
https://youtu.be/QGY4fO9Kjf0
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:45 am

Lawrence "MasakoX" Simpson has been incredibly busy with his own material lately, as well as Final Fantasy VII Machinabriged. Combine those with his job, and he just doesn't have a ton of time to contribute. Which sucks, I love him and his stuff, but it is what it is.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:30 pm

Attack of the Saiyans (DS) is TFS #9 pick for their top DB videogames.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:39 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Attack of the Saiyans (DS) is TFS #9 pick for their top DB videogames.
I agree with this position, it was the best DB RPG game I ever played, too bad it never got a sequel :(
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:49 pm

Well, they've spoiled that Fusions is gonna be on the list. I don't know how that was received, and didn't watch their playthrough of it. I'm guessing they enjoyed it? I always thought it was one of the most average Dragon Ball games, borderline boring and bland at some points, with the dialogue being the highlight.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:52 pm

Nuzlocke of Leaf Green is a classic YT series. Don't care for LP's anymore, but I love coming back to that series.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:25 am

Asura wrote:
HeroR wrote:

What principle?

Everyone was noticeably bitter when we learned Freeza was replacing Buu, and rightfully so given how horribly they've treated both characters in the past. The ToP is still Goku's fault in the eyes of the other universes, which is why Champa called all the other GoDs before the tournament to aim at U7. Goku's actions leading up to saving at least one universe was more like a happy little accident than anything else, because otherwise it just made Goku look like a terrible person. Super had an awful start and the U6 arc really wasn't all that spectacular, Super was still viewed negatively in the eyes of most people. The reason why he's called the ToP arc "Super's last chance" in the past is because while the Future Trunks arc had some great highs, the way they ended it was horrifically divisive, and for a show that's already had a really rough start and tons of criticism thrown at it, having such a divisive ending like that one would definitely make people give up on the series if this arc was as as shitty as the FT arc ending which made a lot of people give up on Super because of what a huge middle finger it was to a lot of fans.
HeroR wrote:And he was extremely mad and bitter about Frieza to the point that it leaked into everything he did, which got extremely annoying. He had at least two videos, one even called 'Toei's Folly' about Buu.

You might not have been upset about Freeza, but just about nearly everyone else was, and for very good reason given how the character was handled in the past. After 94 and 95, the vast majority of us were well on board the Freeza train including Masako, so not sure what your problem is with him there. And there's nothing wrong with talking about Toei's Folly with Buu because that's literally what it is. They don't know what to do with Buu's character and if someone actually thinks Buu has been handled well in Super they're delusional.

While I agree that a lot of his theory videos completely overanalyze things and more often than not miss the mark, they're still interesting takes on the subject.
Hell i even remember seeing Jax Blade being mad about it and i rarely see him extremely mad at super. And in my case, i spent days thinking "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU TORIYAMA" after i knew about it .
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:44 am

Asura wrote:

It certainly wasn't everyone since Geekdom and even Rhymestyle was more interested in what was going to happened than mad. Heck, even freaking Zeon was positive since he saw it as a chance to shake up a story arc he saw as boring.

Champa called the other Gods of Destruction because he heard about the Supreme Kai meeting and was asking if they planned to cheat. Nothing about planning against U7 and there is a lot of actions Goku took in Z that makes him looked like a horrible person, so this is standard fare.

There is only so many times you can used the 'last chance' line before it become stupid. According to fans, this is Super's third 'last chance' and the Champa Saga got good overall ratings and viewership, making the Future Trunks 'last chance' statement also stupid. So who are these 'lots of people', the talking heads on the internet? The barely make a minority of Super's fanbase. Especially with 'Super was still viewed negatively in the eyes of most people'. Who is 'most people' here since Super was in the top ten even during the retelling and people in the US are buying the DVDs of the retellings when they could buy the movies for far cheaper. Masako, like a lot of fans, only looks at the vocal fan reaction instead of looking at objective facts. Nothing in Super's history shows it was on its 'last chance' other than fan outcry about plot points they didn't like, especially when Super got stronger with each story arc from sells and ratings, at least until the TOP where general viewership in Japan went down for all anime.

Only the most vocal people were spitting salt about Freeza. I saw a lot of interest in Freeza returning, especially since a lot of fans thought it was dumb he wasn't invited to begin with. Most of the divide among them was over Freeza replacing Buu instead of one of the human characters.

My problem with Masako is that instead of taking a wait and see before reacting, he reacted and acted like an ass. You can be skeptical and still be objective, which Masako wasn't. He let his feelings get the best of him and it leaked into everything, bring down his produce in my eyes. And the 'Toei Folly' is stupid since it wasn't Toei who decided not to used Buu. The Super manga didn't even give Buu a token fight, he was written off almost from the jump.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:57 am

HeroR wrote:
Asura wrote:

It certainly wasn't everyone since Geekdom and even Rhymestyle was more interested in what was going to happened than mad. Heck, even freaking Zeon was positive since he saw it as a chance to shake up a story arc he saw as boring.
Idk, i thought that Zeon simply talked about the potential positives of Freeza coming back, but he was still expecting super to fail because, well, super had already dissapointed him before, that's not being positive about it, he seemed more mixed than anything.

dbgtFO wrote:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:35 pm

dbs fanboy wrote: Idk, i thought that Zeon simply talked about the potential positives of Freeza coming back, but he was still expecting super to fail because, well, super had already dissapointed him before, that's not being positive about it, he seemed more mixed than anything.
Zeon is a naturally negative person who did more or less gave up on Super, and even he was able to be somewhat objective instead of the knee-jerk reaction seen across the internet. Which is what my point is. You can be cynical and expect to be disappointed, but still be objective about the benefits of something and see how things play out before going nuclear.
Kanassa wrote:

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:45 pm

HeroR wrote:
dbs fanboy wrote: Idk, i thought that Zeon simply talked about the potential positives of Freeza coming back, but he was still expecting super to fail because, well, super had already dissapointed him before, that's not being positive about it, he seemed more mixed than anything.
Zeon is a naturally negative person who did more or less gave up on Super, and even he was able to be somewhat objective instead of the knee-jerk reaction seen across the internet. Which is what my point is. You can be cynical and expect to be disappointed, but still be objective about the benefits of something and see how things play out before going nuclear.
Well now i get you.Thought i still kinda understand how Masako reacted, at first Freeza coming back was a thing that a lot of people (myself included) took as the typical stupid speculation from fans (like currently the ones that thought that Freeza would be absorbed) so seeing it being an actual real thing was a new level of annoyance and enough to break the patience of some fans.

dbgtFO wrote:

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:53 pm

HeroR wrote:My problem with Masako is that instead of taking a wait and see before reacting, he reacted and acted like an ass. You can be skeptical and still be objective, which Masako wasn't. He let his feelings get the best of him and it leaked into everything, bring down his produce in my eyes. And the 'Toei Folly' is stupid since it wasn't Toei who decided not to used Buu. The Super manga didn't even give Buu a token fight, he was written off almost from the jump.
So because he has his own opinion that isn’t the same as yours that makes him an ass? What is there to even be objective on? It’s his opinion on Freeza and the handling of Buu’s character. There is no objectivity in an opinion.

This discussion would be much better for the Masako thread I posted instead.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:59 pm

Asura wrote:
So because he has his own opinion that isn’t the same as yours that makes him an ass? What is there to even be objective on? It’s his opinion on Freeza and the handling of Buu’s character. There is no objectivity in an opinion.

This discussion would be much better for the Masako thread I posted instead.
Way to misread my post.

No, my problem wasn't his opinion. My problem is that his opinion leaked into everything, including stuff that had nothing do with Freeza. He was bitter and that bitterness carried into his other videos, which isn't professional, imo. I also don't care for people who make a living off of Youtube who jumped to conclusions instead of voicing their opinion, but take a wait and see approach before passing final judgement.
Kanassa wrote:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:19 pm