DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:21 am

The French dub used the name "Krilin", which probably influenced FUNi somewhat. Can't really remember seeing it anywhere, though - French fans generally didn't discuss the series in English.

I do remember seeing "Satan" used for Piccolo here and there, though. Not knowing much about the series, I thought this "Satan" was a different character, who was also known as "Mr. Satan", and for some reason I managed to connect the name to Cell.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:24 am

Didn't Piccolo have an odd name in the French dub?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:32 am

Chuquita wrote:Didn't Piccolo have an odd name in the French dub?
Yeah, LaResistance was just saying over in the video games forums how he was known as Satan Petit Coeur (Satan Little Heart). Apparently it's never been explained just why he was called this, though.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:19 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:44 am

I always thought of Tien as a kind of "shortening" of the original name. Granted, an "i" was added in.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:05 am

Don't you guys think you're taking the whole name thing a bit too seriously? I mean DBZA is for a parody, who cares what they're called? If you're going to be turned off to a hilarious series just because they use Dub names, well that's just silly.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:08 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:If I’m not mistaken, doesn’t Karin refer to himself by that name only once in the manga to begin with?
Yeah, when he and Goku first meet Goku calls him a sennin, but Karin corrects him, saying he's a senbyou, being a cat rather than a human and all (and now that I'm looking at my manga in better lighting, I'm pretty sure that it is a b and not a p). But in the anime during the Piccolo Daimao arc, when Goku and Yajirobe are climbing the tower, Goku refers to Karin as a sennin; I guess he didn't listen too well.
I think I see what you mean, but I always looked at Kuririn as being the “best” rominization of the name as I always felt it best gets across the name pun (which to me is the deciding factor in picking a Toriyama spelling); Kuri (chestnut) plus rin (Shourin).

The only way I could see Krillin as a viable romanization (via my incredibly warped sense of idiot logic) would be if one looked at it as simply a bizarre word corruption resulting from de-Japan-ifying “Shourin” back to it’s original Mandarin “Shaolin”. Thus you’d wind up with “Kurilin” which in turn could equate to “Krillin”.
I do agree that "Kuririn" is probably the best romanization, because of the name pun. But the way I see it there's nothing wrong with "Krillin", because it's pronounced basically just like the Japanese name (or at least as close as you can get in natural sounding English). And going the other way, if you wanted to write "Krillin" in katakana, you'd spell it ku-ri-ri-n. That's what I mean when I say it's a valid romanization.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:46 am

I found this in TeamFourStar's favorites on youtube and thought it was hilarious

Enjoy- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59kYwi5Ga8s
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

mrkaizoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by mrkaizoku » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:16 am

Herms wrote:Yeah, when he and Goku first meet Goku calls him a sennin, but Karin corrects him, saying he's a senbyou, being a cat rather than a human and all (and now that I'm looking at my manga in better lighting, I'm pretty sure that it is a b and not a p). But in the anime during the Piccolo Daimao arc, when Goku and Yajirobe are climbing the tower, Goku refers to Karin as a sennin; I guess he didn't listen too well.
I just looked it over and it is byou, but it's insanely tiny. That is probably the smallest dakuten I've seen in a while. I'd forgotten just how much I enjoyed Karin until just now. There are so many awesome characters in this part of the manga. I think I'll read the whole Red Ribbon arc again.
母しゃべる「ドッグチーズ」

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:56 am

Herms wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Didn't Piccolo have an odd name in the French dub?
Yeah, LaResistance was just saying over in the video games forums how he was known as Satan Petit Coeur (Satan Little Heart). Apparently it's never been explained just why he was called this, though.
Were I to speculate, I would assume it would be because he was the child of the evil counterpart to Kami/God.

Why they wouldn't just use his given name, I don't know.

They also clearly didn't look ahead to the Cell Saga, which is why when the guy actually named Satan in the series shows up, they cooked up Hercule (I assume based on Hercules).

Funny how what was censorship in the US was a simple naming screw up in France.

Oh, and Kunzait- I told you the Popo thing was the last scene, and was a psycho laugh and eye shot. Which is about all it was. And which you say you liked. Don't blame me if you enhanced it mentally with extra footage :p

On the names-

1. Since when are they using a mix? Krillin? Check. Master Roshi? Check. Tien? Check (so far).

2. It isn't a problem for me, because that's usually the style anyway. Someone mentioned what LK does with Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged. He uses all dub names and bases his voices off of the dub actors, even though he pretty much despises th 4kids treatment of the series. Seeing the names in a fan dub may irk me, but in a parody series all is fair.
VegettoEX wrote:That's a faulty statement to toss out there. I can't make a better movie myself, but Mortal Kombat Annihilation is absolutely terrible and I should be able to say that as much as I want.

Doesn't mean I don't own it, though.
Heh, glad it's not just me.
Last edited by Onikage725 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:28 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:06 pm

All I said was that it was creepy, and then I described the scene. Didn't I play the clip at the same time? Sooo if it didn't live up to your expectations, that's a reflection on whatever mental image you drummed up, not on some exaggeration on my part :p

And yeah, I forgot about the filter. I really ought to remember how to get around that one of these days. That thing is annoying. I hate being censored, especially when it's a non-swear and it keeps me from getting a point across.
Kunzait_83 wrote: I actually don't even think that Mr. Satan was even created by Toriyama yet when they did the French dub of Dragon Ball. I'm pretty sure the story wasn't even anywhere near the Cell saga at all yet in Japan, so it wasn't there for the French dubbers TO look forward to yet, far as I know at least. Making the whole "Satan" business just one of life's little unforeseeable pitfalls.
Interesting. Hindsight is 20/20 they say.
Last edited by Onikage725 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:28 pm

Onikage725 wrote:And yeah, I forgot about the filter. I really ought to remember how to get around that one of these days.
To get around it, insert some closed html tags into the middle of the name, with nothing in between them (so like this: Ti<i></i>en, but with [ ] instead of < >. That way, when your post appears the tags will be invisible, and it will look like you simply wrote the forbidden name. And if that seems to hard to remember, try this: insert some random letter or number into the forbidden name, bold it using the buttons at the top (or underline it or italicise it), then delete the number itself, but leave the tags.
Kunzait_83 wrote:I actually don't even think that Mr. Satan was even created by Toriyama yet when they did the French dub of Dragon Ball. I'm pretty sure the story wasn't even anywhere near the Cell saga at all yet in Japan, so it wasn't there for the French dubbers TO look forward to yet, far as I know at least. Making the whole "Satan" business just one of life's little unforeseeable pitfalls.
What time did the French dub begin?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:37 pm

Just replace one of the letters with the HTML/XML letter code.

I do that for swearfilters. :lol:

Tien: You can tune a Piano, but you can't tuna fish!
Nyuknyuknyuk.

Though mods don't like it when you do that. :lol: I'd only recommend you waste your time doing that for when you really want to write dub names.

I can't help but notice the quality in Episode 3 of TFS Abridged kinda dropped, but the humour is still top notch, hopefully it'll be noticed by Funi actors, like Yu-Gi-Oh abridged was noticed by people like Dan Green.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:07 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:Just replace one of the letters with the HTML/XML letter code.

I do that for swearfilters. :lol:

Tien: You can tune a Piano, but you can't tuna fish!
Nyuknyuknyuk.

Though mods don't like it when you do that. :lol: I'd only recommend you waste your time doing that for when you really want to write dub names.

I can't help but notice the quality in Episode 3 of TFS Abridged kinda dropped, but the humour is still top notch, hopefully it'll be noticed by Funi actors, like Yu-Gi-Oh abridged was noticed by people like Dan Green.
Dang Green noticed YGOTAS? :shock: What's he said about it??

I believe Kyle Hebert has noticed it, on his latest podcast he plugged Masako's podcast.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:38 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Dang Green noticed YGOTAS? :shock: What's he said about it??
He did that "Yu-Gi-Os" thing a good while back. Though, he could have just been asked to say it. (Although, there is no Dan Green. Only Chris Banks. Hurr hurr.) I do know Naruto's English voice actor acknowledged Naruto Abridged due to that "When life's hard, abridge it" snippet I heard a while back. (Hurr, my memory sucks.)

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:04 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:I found this in TeamFourStar's favorites on youtube and thought it was hilarious

Enjoy- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59kYwi5Ga8s
...Why don't I remember this in the English dud? Did I simple blocked it out for my memory like most of my childhood traumas?

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:27 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:Tien: You can tune a Piano, but you can't tuna fish!
TUNA KIKOHO!!

TUNA TAIYOKEN!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLrSepFWEQk
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:48 am

SSJ2bardock wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:Tenshinhan: You can tune a Piano, but you can't tuna fish!
TUNA KIKOHO!!

TUNA TAIYOKEN!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLrSepFWEQk
Man, some of those lines are quality for the In my Pants game.

"I've NEVER felt pressure like this, in my pants."

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:23 pm

New one up, featuring LittleKuriboh!
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]