DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:48 pm

Something I would have liked to have seen in the latest episode was some kind of reference to "HFIL." Goz and Mez's scene woulda been perfect for that :D.

EDIT: I'm not that big on Metal Gear Solid, but I have a feeling I've seen Snake played off they way Princess Snake was played off in this episode. That blunt line of "get in the hot tub" sounds like I've heard it before somewhere else.

Also, I could totally see the non-fighters just chilling at Kame House marathoning Full House. I was almost expecting to hear at least a bit of the show's theme music before it cut to Nappa and Vegeta.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Pain

Post by Pain » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:32 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote: I think he was the first person who pulled it off and made it funny. 89% of the time abridged series on Youtube go something like "LOLOLOL GOKU LIKES DICK AND IS GAY LOLOLOLOL PICCOLO IS A BLACK GUY PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS".
I mostly blame the terrible quality of Abridged Series on really poor editing, and the fact that they are made predominantly by 12-14 year-olds that want internet fame. Y'know, the reason most Youtube videos are terrible. =p
Age stereotypes are just ignorant. There are plenty of younger people who can make quality abridged series and such. You can't judge a person by their age. I'm positive that there are plenty of 21 year olds who make crappy parodies. As for ARDBZ, it is quality. It's just not very hilarious. I'd give it a 6/10 because it only has one funny scene for each episode, like that "mahogany" bit.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:53 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
Lavender Saiyan wrote:Am I the only one who thinks LK is overrated? I mean yes, the guy is hilarious no doubt. But people act like because his Abridged series started the whole trend, that he's some god of comedy who cannot be surpassed.
I think he was the first person who pulled it off and made it funny. 89% of the time abridged series on Youtube go something like "LOLOLOL GOKU LIKES DICK AND IS GAY LOLOLOLOL PICCOLO IS A BLACK GUY PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS".
WeeklyTubeShow's Piccolo/video parodies are about ninety times more hilarious than DBZ abridged and he was working by himself.

They were, at the very least, far more entertaining to someone who is not a DBZ "fan." Most of the people I know who are not into Dragonball or not into more "nerdy" humor like Metal Gear Solid references feel that Abridged is largely hit or miss. I feel that TeamFourStar severely limits their audience in a lot of their humor and references.

Production value-wise, DBZ abridged is unparalleled and for that reason I always anticipate a new episode in earnest.

EDIT: also can someone explain to me the "Mahogany" joke? Painfully unfunny. Is it in reference to something?

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:57 pm

I don't think they really limit their audience, it's an abridged DBZ series for DBZ fans, so in that regard they have a pretty large audience.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Pain

Post by Pain » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:01 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:I don't think they really limit their audience, it's an abridged DBZ series for DBZ fans, so in that regard they have a pretty large audience.
But not all DBZ fans enjoy it to the fullest, like myself. Sausage was right. The series can be a hit or a miss. They only hit once an episode. That's not enough.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:05 pm

To some it might seem better than to other, but what I wa trying to emphasize was that the show is better to fans of the series. He said something like Weeklytubeshow's series was funnier to non-fans of the series and that's because the jokes aren't Dragonball based. Non-fans of the series wont the DBZ abridged is very funny because they won't get half the jokes.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Pain

Post by Pain » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:19 pm

Wait a tic! Didn't Tubeshow say that he wanted to do a voice for the series? He should've done Popo.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:38 pm

Undercooked Sausage wrote: EDIT: also can someone explain to me the "Mahogany" joke? Painfully unfunny. Is it in reference to something?
Its just the fact that he's going on and on about something thats really, in the end, not important at all. It's kind of hard to explain, like most types of humor.

Also, the way this particular type of mahogany is made makes me laugh :lol:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:18 am

SSJ2bardock wrote:Non-fans of the series wont the DBZ abridged is very funny because they won't get half the jokes.
Well fuck those guys. The rest of YouTube has plenty of genericifiedcrap pasted over DBZ footage for them.

As for the episodes, ehhh. I laughed several times (ChiChi = :shock: ) and I'm glad your quality hasn't jumped off a cliff after the first two, but really...it's filler, the fat you cut off your steak so you can get to the tender meaty goodness.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:21 am

And I do love tender meaty goodness, no homo :lol:
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:25 am

Undercooked Sausage wrote:They were, at the very least, far more entertaining to someone who is not a DBZ "fan." Most of the people I know who are not into Dragonball or not into more "nerdy" humor like Metal Gear Solid references feel that Abridged is largely hit or miss. I feel that TeamFourStar severely limits their audience in a lot of their humor and references.
I don't know...I think that most of the kind of jokes you could put in a DBZ parody that would be funny to non-fans would just be the same generic stuff that's been done to death already.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:38 am

Exactly, if you want to have a DBZ abridged series without jokes about DBZ then I think your in the wrong place. You should probably go check out some of this trash.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:48 am

Looking back, I want more hilarious catch phrases like "Stop breaking Kame-House." or "Yes, Goku, I'm a green fucking dinosaur!"
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:48 am

I wouldn't go as far as calling it trash, that's just outright mean.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:53 am

bkev wrote:I wouldn't go as far as calling it trash, that's just outright mean.
Yeah, really. I was chuckling up a storm watching the one from that link. :lol:
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:01 am

bkev wrote:I wouldn't go as far as calling it trash, that's just outright mean.
Personally I don't care if it's mean. I will admit that some of the jokes he has are moderatly funny, but that being said, 90% of his jokes have absolutely nothing to do with Dragonball. As far as a DBZ parody goes, SSJGozar's is terrible.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:12 am

Pain wrote:As for ARDBZ, it is quality. It's just not very hilarious. I'd give it a 6/10 because it only has one funny scene for each episode, like that "mahogany" bit.
I think it's just a matter of personal humor taste. I find myself laughing hysterically through most AR Episodes every time (And I know I'm not alone). But DBZ Abridged unfortunatley, though funny. Does not do that for me.

Also on a side note regarding ARDBZ...Someone mentioned most DBZ parodies include lots of gay jokes. AR's recent Episode just made one regarding Cell wanting to marry Goku. Now if someone said this to me I'd think it'd be terribly unfunny. But I think Gozar was able to pull it off very cleverly with how he went about it and his dialogue.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:18 am

You guys are misunderstanding me though, I didn't say that some of his jokes weren't funny, it's just the context that he's using them in. You'd think a parody would at least have some jokes about the original series it's parodying. The bit about Vegeta getting caught watching Gilmore Girls made me smirk a little, but it was just so out of place.

I think this is why DBZ Abridged has been accepted so well among many of the members here ( as well as actually having a thread dedicated to it, I don't see one of those for ARDBZ :roll: ). If they wanted to, the guys at TFS could just make random "Mystic" Gohan jokes for 10 minutes, but they don't, they go the extra mile to actually follow the episode whille making it humorous.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:22 am

I really think it's more clever that Gozar comes up with his own jokes and applies them in DBZ. I think sometime back he himself said this...

ARDBZ is like a DragonBall sitcom, done in a similar way to Dr. Slump.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:28 am

Lavender Saiyan wrote:I really think it's more clever that Gozar comes up with his own jokes and applies them in DBZ. I think sometime back he himself said this..
He's coming off as a little arrogant by saying that IMO. Anyways I just generally don't like the guy, I tried watching his reviews of the DBZ outside stories and I couldn't stand him.

So I guess what I'm getting at here is, to me, ARDBZ is terrible as a parody. It would be better if he did something on a different show for every episode or something because all he seems to be doing is making fun of the series.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ