DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1391
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:02 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Postby Forgotten Hero » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:32 am

Gozar is ok. I liked that he didn't like the Trunks Special manga thing. It was another perspective I hadn't seen.

Plus his videos are pretty good. But I like TeamFourStar better.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

User avatar
Lavender Saiyan
Regular
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:03 am
Location: New Jersey

Postby Lavender Saiyan » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:33 am

Arrogant by saying it's a STYLE similar to Dr. Slump? He's not saying he's some comedy master like Toriyama. It's like a fusion of the 2 series.

But as far as AR goes, you're entitled to your opinion...I'm not going to go all internet pest on you and be like "ZOMGz u r the wr0ngz0rz" :lol:

But I really wouldn't say he's making fun of the series...He's made it rather clear that he loves DragonBall. AR is more of a way of taking the characters people loves and putting then into weird and wacky situations. Kind of like what Full Metal Panic Fumofuu did.
*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*
*Dodges rocks*

User avatar
SSJ2bardock
I Live Here
Posts: 2590
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:10 am
Location: Chicago

Postby SSJ2bardock » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:37 am

I've already stressed my opinion on ARDBZ enoguh as it is and I don't want to see this thread get turned into "DBZ Abridged vs ARDBZ" so I'll just stop while I'm ahead.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

User avatar
Pain
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1988
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:58 pm
Location: South City
Contact:

Postby Pain » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:38 am

ARDBZ has raw jokes and bends the story in a funny way. DBZA is more like the Simpsons when it first began to air. Not funny at all. And I'm sure that if DBZA did a "Mystic Gohan Joke", it wouldn't be very funny. The series in itself(DBZA) is a "One Hit Each Episode" type of series. There's only one funny scene in each episode.(The mahogany bit for example) ARDBZ and DBZA both make manga references, but only one of them takes the reference and makes it funny. ARDBZ. For example: Freeza's "5 minutes 'till the planet blows" statement , SSJ 3rd grade Trunks' lack of speed, as well as Yamucha being made into a useless character. Now ARDBZ has had some episodes that aren't very good, but it's had more hits and less misses than DBZA's had. DBZA's good point are their jokes that turn out to be funny, no matter how few of them there are. Nice voice acting, but somewhat boring at the same time. :?
Last edited by Pain on Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

User avatar
Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1391
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:02 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Postby Forgotten Hero » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:39 am

Gozar doesn't make anymore fun of the series then TeamFourStar does, they admit to making fun of DBZ. Plus that is what I like about both fan parodies.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

User avatar
Lavender Saiyan
Regular
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:03 am
Location: New Jersey

Postby Lavender Saiyan » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:39 am

LOL, you're a lot more responsible than I am. I wasn't even paying attention to the fact that it could get out of hand.

Back on topic...One thing I'm curious about is how they'll wind up handling the "Over 8/9000" scene...They made it clear in their Over 9000 Subscribers Video that that's not how they'll be handling the scene. So it makes me wonder what they'll do...LOL...Maybe "IT'S OVER 10,000...Didn't see that coming, did ya?"
*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*

*Dodges rocks*

User avatar
SSJ2bardock
I Live Here
Posts: 2590
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:10 am
Location: Chicago

Postby SSJ2bardock » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:44 am

Pain wrote:ARDBZ has raw jokes and bends the story in a funny way. DBZA is more like the Simpsons when it first began to air. Not funny at all. And I'm sure that if DBZA did a "Mystic Gohan Joke", it wouldn't be very funny. The series in itself(DBZA) is a "One Hit Each Episode" type of series. There's only one funny scene in each episode.(The mahogany bit for example) ARDBZ and DBZA both make manga references, but only one of them takes the reference and makes it funny. ARDBZ. For example: Freeza's "5 minutes 'till the planet blows" statement , SSJ 3rd grade Trunks' lack of speed, as well as Yamucha being made into a useless character. Now ARDBZ has had some episodes that aren't very good, but it's had more hits and less misses than DBZA's had. DBZA's good point are their jokes that turn out to be funny, no matter how few of them there are. Nice voice acting, but somewhat boring at the same time. :?


You can't really compare the two series the way you are right now mainly because they have a huge difference in the number of episodes. It's been said before, but I'll say it again: ARDBZ= stupid funny DBZA= smarter funny.

Forgotten Hero wrote:Gozar doesn't make anymore fun of the series then TeamFourStar does, they admit to making fun of DBZ. Plus that is what I like about both fan parodies.


I realize that both series are making fun of DBZ, but the way DBZA does it is so much better IMO. That and about 400 less hours of "Mystic" Gohan jokes, it's a fan term and you don't like it, we get it already. :roll:

-edit- Dammit, I started again, but I'm done now, provided nobody responds to what I just said :?
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

User avatar
Lavender Saiyan
Regular
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:03 am
Location: New Jersey

Postby Lavender Saiyan » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:50 am

ARDBZ= stupid funny DBZA= smarter funny.

Now that's not really a fair thing to say. Just because something is random does not make it stupid. Come on now.

That and about 400 less hours of "Mystic" Gohan jokes, it's a fan term and you don't like it, we get it already.


It hasn't really been about the term it's self since the first joke...It's just a running gag, turning Mystic Gohan into Toei's Kuririn. The scapegoat of the series. Plus I've got to give him credit...He keeps finding ways to make it funny. Come on...

Goku: Vegeta wake up. Even Mystic Gohan's dead.

*Crickets*

Vegeta: HEHEHHEHEHHEHEHEHE

Goku: OK bad example.

That made me laugh so long when I first heard it.
*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*

*Dodges rocks*

User avatar
Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1391
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:02 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Postby Forgotten Hero » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:54 am

I love the fact Mystic gets nipped at. I find it hilarious!

-Yeah, be careful...
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

User avatar
SSJ2bardock
I Live Here
Posts: 2590
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:10 am
Location: Chicago

Postby SSJ2bardock » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:54 am

The mystic Gohan example you gave actually did get me to laugh a little, but what I meant by stupid funny is that it's more like Family Guy where as DBZA is more like Futurama.

I'm curious to know what EX's thoughts on ARDBZ are, I think in the past he's said he hates 99% of DBZ parodies he sees.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

User avatar
Lavender Saiyan
Regular
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:03 am
Location: New Jersey

Postby Lavender Saiyan » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:58 am

I honestly think EX would hate AR, lol.

But I see what you mean with the Family Guy comparison. But I still think stupid is a bad word to use.
*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*

*Dodges rocks*

User avatar
Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1391
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:02 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Postby Forgotten Hero » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:58 am

SSJ2bardock wrote:The mystic Gohan example you gave actually did get me to laugh a little, but what I meant by stupid funny is that it's more like Family Guy where as DBZA is more like Futurama.

I'm curious to know what EX's thoughts on ARDBZ are, I think in the past he's said he hates 99% of DBZ parodies he sees.

DBZ Abridged I find to be more like Aqua Teen or South Park, jokes that are somewhat relevant to the plot of the episode or series.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

User avatar
Pain
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1988
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:58 pm
Location: South City
Contact:

Postby Pain » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:00 am

SSJ2bardock wrote:
Pain wrote:ARDBZ has raw jokes and bends the story in a funny way. DBZA is more like the Simpsons when it first began to air. Not funny at all. And I'm sure that if DBZA did a "Mystic Gohan Joke", it wouldn't be very funny. The series in itself(DBZA) is a "One Hit Each Episode" type of series. There's only one funny scene in each episode.(The mahogany bit for example) ARDBZ and DBZA both make manga references, but only one of them takes the reference and makes it funny. ARDBZ. For example: Freeza's "5 minutes 'till the planet blows" statement , SSJ 3rd grade Trunks' lack of speed, as well as Yamucha being made into a useless character. Now ARDBZ has had some episodes that aren't very good, but it's had more hits and less misses than DBZA's had. DBZA's good point are their jokes that turn out to be funny, no matter how few of them there are. Nice voice acting, but somewhat boring at the same time. :?


You can't really compare the two series the way you are right now mainly because they have a huge difference in the number of episodes. It's been said before, but I'll say it again: ARDBZ= stupid funny DBZA= smarter funny.

Forgotten Hero wrote:Gozar doesn't make anymore fun of the series then TeamFourStar does, they admit to making fun of DBZ. Plus that is what I like about both fan parodies.


I realize that both series are making fun of DBZ, but the way DBZA does it is so much better IMO. That and about 400 less hours of "Mystic" Gohan jokes, it's a fan term and you don't like it, we get it already. :roll:

-edit- Dammit, I started again, but I'm done now, provided nobody responds to what I just said :?


I never said anything about episode numbers. It's just that DBZA is a corny, "smarter funny" series with bad jokes. ARDBZ makes much more use of Dragonball references. DBZA gives you this "Ma...hogany", "The pool of blood used to be red", and such. Corny, corny, corny. I guess I just like stupid funny. Here's my definition of smart funny and dumb funny.

Smart Funny = 1+1=...2! Ahahaha! That was the funniest thing ever!

Dumb Funny=

Goku- Hey! What's up?

Cell- Nothing much. I just got done eating some pussy(He ate a cat).

The last one was a joke from the latest ARDBZ episode.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"

Member #:2148

Post Rank: #33

Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece

Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom



Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

User avatar
Lavender Saiyan
Regular
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:03 am
Location: New Jersey

Postby Lavender Saiyan » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:02 am

LOL, I loved that cat joke. For me the best part was when it cut back and Cell says "Presicely". The delivery was just too good.
*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*

*Dodges rocks*

User avatar
Pain
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1988
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:58 pm
Location: South City
Contact:

Postby Pain » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:03 am

Lavender Saiyan wrote:LOL, I loved that cat joke. For me the best part was when it cut back and Cell says "Presicely". The delivery was just too good.


Yeah, that was pretty funny.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"

Member #:2148

Post Rank: #33

Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece

Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom



Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

User avatar
SSJ2bardock
I Live Here
Posts: 2590
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:10 am
Location: Chicago

Postby SSJ2bardock » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:06 am

Pain wrote:ARDBZ makes much more use of Dragonball references. DBZA gives you this "Ma...hogany", "The pool of blood used to be red", and such. Corny, corny, corny. I guess I just like stupid funny. Here's my definition of smart funny and dumb funny.

Smart Funny = 1+1=...2! Ahahaha! That was the funniest thing ever!

Dumb Funny=

Goku- Hey! What's up?

Cell- Nothing much. I just got done eating some pussy(He ate a cat).

The last one was a joke from the latest ARDBZ episode.


I'm sorry, but the few episodes of ARDBZ that I actually did sit through all the way without going insane had absolutely no Dragonball references in them.

And you only pulled the most off topic jokes in your DBZA examples. As for your your "definition" of smart-funny, I'm guessing your not a fan of the show Scrubs which is smart-funny but still hilarious.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

User avatar
Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1391
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:02 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Postby Forgotten Hero » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:08 am

Pain, you are missing the complete point of the term "abridged."
Abridged doesn't have to use the same plot points as the series being abridged. The point is to change the plot:
"So, did it work?"-Goku (King Yanma's Yama Lock)
"NO!!! He kicked me in the balls and ran!"-Yanma

That is damn funny if you ask me. Those lines are from episode 3 and we see Raditz in episode 4 again, bring closure.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

User avatar
Lavender Saiyan
Regular
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:03 am
Location: New Jersey

Postby Lavender Saiyan » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:08 am

I love Scrubs, but it's pretty darn random. But I have a question...Why does there need to be a ton of actual DB references for it to be funny? It's rather obvious that AR is not an Abridged series.
*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*

*Dodges rocks*

User avatar
Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1391
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:02 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Postby Forgotten Hero » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:10 am

As long as it is funny, I don't care! 8)
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

User avatar
Pain
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1988
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:58 pm
Location: South City
Contact:

Postby Pain » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:13 am

SSJ2bardock wrote:
Pain wrote:ARDBZ makes much more use of Dragonball references. DBZA gives you this "Ma...hogany", "The pool of blood used to be red", and such. Corny, corny, corny. I guess I just like stupid funny. Here's my definition of smart funny and dumb funny.

Smart Funny = 1+1=...2! Ahahaha! That was the funniest thing ever!

Dumb Funny=

Goku- Hey! What's up?

Cell- Nothing much. I just got done eating some pussy(He ate a cat).

The last one was a joke from the latest ARDBZ episode.


I'm sorry, but the few episodes of ARDBZ that I actually did sit through all the way without going insane had absolutely no Dragonball references in them.

And you only pulled the most off topic jokes in your DBZA examples. As for your your "definition" of smart-funny, I'm guessing your not a fan of the show Scrubs which is smart-funny but still hilarious.


Ya see...I've sat through all DBZA episodes. My opinion on the series changed after episode 2. I deemed it corny because it just didn't deliver the way it should have. DBZ has potential to be funny. It just won't use it. It's for that reason, and that reason only that I don't really like the series. And if you had watched the latest episode of ARDBZ, you'd see that it was chucked full of DBZ references(The abandoning Goten joke, for example). :P

Why are we even having this conversation? It's just pointless. This'll tear the forum apart! Ok...maybe not.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"

Member #:2148

Post Rank: #33

Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece

Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom



Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black


Return to “Fan-Created Works”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests