DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Chuquita » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:40 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:TFS posted this on their FaceBook. This is a Toonami version of the Abridged Intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C__wF4v1p0Q
That put such a huge smile on my face. X3
Very well done!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:09 pm

Am I the only one who's gone from laughing hysterically throughout the first episodes to just smile a couple of times during the last couple of episodes? I'm not saying the episodes are bad, but I just don't think my taste of humor is where Abriged is heading.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:45 pm

The kind of humour used has shifted a lot, it went from most nonsense gags to situational humour. Nowadays it's mostly telling the story as normal with a few jokes here and there, so basically it's mostly the same as the main series except shorter and done in a lighter and funnier tone. This of course is my view and opinion, anyone feel free to disagree.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:28 pm

They have gotten a heck of a lot more calculated with their jokes now. I guess you could say the writing's gotten better, but it is a change.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:09 pm

I may be crazy, and I'm sure it wasn't what was intended, but I got a bit of a Stewie Griffin vibe from Freeza in this episode.

Particularly in his "seriously, what is a Super Saiyan?" speech.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:30 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:They have gotten a heck of a lot more calculated with their jokes now. I guess you could say the writing's gotten better, but it is a change.
Maybe I like it less "calculated" if you're right. I dunno about better, I love simple, and gag humor...

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:11 pm

Then again, you can't really have slapstick humour in things like the Freeza Saga, which was pretty dark.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:16 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:I may be crazy, and I'm sure it wasn't what was intended, but I got a bit of a Stewie Griffin vibe from Freeza in this episode.

Particularly in his "seriously, what is a Super Saiyan?" speech.
Well, they both have the archetype of the suave gentlemanly villain who's easy to flip from composed to maniacal.
Hades wrote:Then again, you can't really have slapstick humour in things like the Freeza Saga, which was pretty dark.
I disagree. You can make humour out of practically anything, and make all kinds of it work in numerous contexts.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:12 pm

sangofe wrote:Am I the only one who's gone from laughing hysterically throughout the first episodes to just smile a couple of times during the last couple of episodes? I'm not saying the episodes are bad, but I just don't think my taste of humor is where Abriged is heading.
No, you're not the only one. I think I smiled once during the last episode. The reason for that is pretty much what sangofe wrote above. The older episodes were great though.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:46 pm

The last episode felt a lot like the older episodes to me. I think it's totally cause of Goku returning to the spotlight. Everything he said was funny.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:34 pm

SSJSteve wrote:
sangofe wrote:Am I the only one who's gone from laughing hysterically throughout the first episodes to just smile a couple of times during the last couple of episodes? I'm not saying the episodes are bad, but I just don't think my taste of humor is where Abriged is heading.
No, you're not the only one. I think I smiled once during the last episode. The reason for that is pretty much what sangofe wrote above. The older episodes were great though.
Same. The Vegeta fight wasn't too great either.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:19 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:The last episode felt a lot like the older episodes to me. I think it's totally cause of Goku returning to the spotlight. Everything he said was funny.
I would think it's because Goku is so random; it really looks like he's taking up Nappa's mantle in his ability to make (hilariously derailing) one liners out of nowhere either due to his lack of socialization and childlike bluntness being turned up to 11. This pretty much flies in the face of the running gags and set-ups that we've been seeing more of lately.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:28 am

The show has definitely evolved over time. We've become a little less "gag" focused and are trying to tell the plot in a manner that is both entertaining and humorous. Some people don't like that approach and I understand why, but it was also to circumvent the series growing stale. We didn't want things to just get old, y'know?
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:34 pm

Personally, I don't think you would need to be gut bust laughing at a concept like this to be completely and fully entertained. I like DBZA for what it is and it keeps me entertained for the 10 or so minutes, even more on special occasions when they're released.

The point of an Abridged series is to make the chosen series shorter to a degree where you know everything that happens faster than you would in the normal series. Humor and jokes are an option and even then almost depend entirely on situational humor most of the time which can only go so far and work in the right scenes when applicable.

But hey, who am I to judge something I've personally never worked on? I'm just describing how I feel about this.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:22 pm

Gonstead wrote:Personally, I don't think you would need to be gut bust laughing at a concept like this to be completely and fully entertained. I like DBZA for what it is and it keeps me entertained for the 10 or so minutes, even more on special occasions when they're released.

The point of an Abridged series is to make the chosen series shorter to a degree where you know everything that happens faster than you would in the normal series. Humor and jokes are an option and even then almost depend entirely on situational humor most of the time which can only go so far and work in the right scenes when applicable.

But hey, who am I to judge something I've personally never worked on? I'm just describing how I feel about this.
Agreed. I still find it just as funny and entertaining as when I began watching the series.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:39 pm

TFS has gotten much better during the sagas/episodes as they've been released, in fact, their Freeza arc has been excellent so far.

Hope they don't make use of the "I am Hope, I am Batman" that's been overused too much now and TFS can be very creative, smart and funny.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:10 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:TFS has gotten much better during the sagas/episodes as they've been released, in fact, their Freeza arc has been excellent so far.

Hope they don't make use of the "I am Hope, I am Batman" that's been overused too much now and TFS can be very creative, smart and funny.
Oh, don't worry, we'll come up with something far more creative for the "I am the hope of the universe!" speech.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:33 pm

That's one of the parts I've been looking forward to the most.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:07 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:The show has definitely evolved over time. We've become a little less "gag" focused and are trying to tell the plot in a manner that is both entertaining and humorous. Some people don't like that approach and I understand why, but it was also to circumvent the series growing stale. We didn't want things to just get old, y'know?
For what it's worth, I love this season.

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:10 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:The show has definitely evolved over time. We've become a little less "gag" focused and are trying to tell the plot in a manner that is both entertaining and humorous. Some people don't like that approach and I understand why, but it was also to circumvent the series growing stale. We didn't want things to just get old, y'know?
For what it's worth, I love this season.
That's worth a lot, dude. =3