DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by batistabus » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:12 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:The show has definitely evolved over time. We've become a little less "gag" focused and are trying to tell the plot in a manner that is both entertaining and humorous. Some people don't like that approach and I understand why, but it was also to circumvent the series growing stale. We didn't want things to just get old, y'know?
I'm glad you decided to do it this way. Constant gags are fine for various scene parodies (in the way that WeeklyTubeShow does it), but if the plan is to do every episode sequentially, it'd just become a mess. Especially since each episode (with the exception of a few filler episodes) leads into the next.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:01 am

I prefer this season to the last, in fact this latest episode is probably my favorite so far.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:13 am

Yeah, it was definitely one of the best episodes. It did a good job of summing up a lot of the frustrations I had with Freeza arc Vegeta, the opening scene cracks me up and Freeza's characterization is pretty fantastic. It was pretty much a near perfect handling of the episodes it covered.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

hui43210
Not-So-Newbie

Post by hui43210 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Yaa I feel dbza has improved GREAAAAAAATLY over time not worse. I feel there is just so much more going on rather than simply "god damnit Nappa"

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:29 pm

Not only the audio/voice acting got totally better, but so did the picture quality too, is the source Dragon Box Z?

The first Dragon Ball Z Abridged episodes use Orange Bricks' video quality, which kind of ruined it for me. :?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:19 pm

It's definitely Dragon Box.

A shame you guys couldn't use Kai footage for the Kai abridged parody but you probably already had the DBOX footage already on hand so it's understandable.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:39 am

KaiserNeko wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:TFS has gotten much better during the sagas/episodes as they've been released, in fact, their Freeza arc has been excellent so far.

Hope they don't make use of the "I am Hope, I am Batman" that's been overused too much now and TFS can be very creative, smart and funny.
Oh, don't worry, we'll come up with something far more creative for the "I am the hope of the universe!" speech.
I expect Goku to just say something completely nonsensical
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:22 am

I expect Goku to turn into Superboy Prime (as in the evil one from Countdown to Final Crisis)
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:23 pm

Gonstead wrote:It's definitely Dragon Box.

A shame you guys couldn't use Kai footage for the Kai abridged parody but you probably already had the DBOX footage already on hand so it's understandable.
It'd been better watching DBZKA in 1080p HD or even 720p, but 480p's good plus the video quality is from Dragon Box which is fantastic, though for Kai they should've used Kai footage.

DBZKA Episode 2? :D
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:12 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote: DBZKA Episode 2? :D
I've kind of been speculating that they'll do one at the end of every major arc/saga. DBZKai Abridged 1 was about the Saiyan arc, so Episode 2 might be over Namek/Freeza.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:53 am

Using Kai footage would sort of defeat the purpose of the joke in that it's an abridgement of an abridgement, not an abridged version of the Kai series itself.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:06 pm

I don't think it defeats the purpose at all. The only potential problem I could see with using Kai footage is for when they go beyond Kai, or if they decide to include filler (because everything is canon in DBZA ;) ).

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:47 pm

As a student of comedy (and I mean that literally, I've studied it in college) I think the DBZA team has some of the finest timing I've ever seen. Seriously, their timing is up to South Park standards.

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:56 am

I just realised that TFS had a missed opportunity in Episode 27 for a Bojack Joke with "row row row your boat"

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:42 am

Hades wrote:I just realised that TFS had a missed opportunity in Episode 27 for a Bojack Joke with "row row row your boat"
Ohhh yeah Bojack.

Maybe they realised he wasn't sealed in Kaio's planet but a random star. :P
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:33 am

I wonder if they just dropped the Bojack joke, since we haven't heard from it since the Saiyan arc. Although maybe they'll pick it up again later (definitely potential for a Bojack Abridged). It's better like that, rather than the same running gag being repeated over and over again, to the point that it's not even funny anymore.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:10 pm

Saiga wrote:
Hades wrote:I just realised that TFS had a missed opportunity in Episode 27 for a Bojack Joke with "row row row your boat"
Ohhh yeah Bojack.

Maybe they realised he wasn't sealed in Kaio's planet but a random star. :P
Well, first, we didn't want the song to go on too long. We're a fan of some overly-long jokes, but it was already pushing it's limit as it was.

Secondly, we've always known it was a random star between the planets. We just like the idea of each member of Bojack's crew being in a different planet.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:53 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Well, first, we didn't want the song to go on too long. We're a fan of some overly-long jokes, but it was already pushing it's limit as it was.
Yeah, Family Guy comes to mind.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:02 pm

BTW, will Yamcha ever speak again in-series?

TriforceCaptre
Beyond Newbie

Post by TriforceCaptre » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:11 am

Hades wrote:BTW, will Yamcha ever speak again in-series?
As soon as I read that I pictured him about to speak as No.20 grabs him by the mouth before impaling him. If they can keep the gag going that long it'd be pretty funny :lol: .
"There's ten thousand reasons to survive, but you only needed one to die." -CKY-