DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:38 am

I wanted to refrain from commenting until I watched all three episodes, and not that I have, I can unequivocally say that was the best series of back to back episodes of DBZA since the Vegeta vs Everyone fight in the Saiyan arc.

It's very hard trying to do a parody of an original work while also maintaining the sincerity, melodrama and spectacle needed for those special moments in the story. And I have to say this three parter displayed what an incredible amount of talent you guys have and constructing and harmonious blend of comedy and drama, all the while intertwining your own knowledge and genuine love for Dragon Ball. It's the kind of graceful tact with the storytelling of your abridged series that makes it stand out so much from the rest.

I'm absolutely chuffed to know you guys are covering the Majin Boo arc. And God speed to you guys in that regard, as I can't wait for that.

Well done, TeamFourStar. You guys are simply the best. :thumbup:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:02 am

This is probably the second best one out of the three, with part 2 being my personal fave, that one hit the perfect balance of drama and humor. This got the drama across but things like Yamcha yammering on and on along with Cell's song both should've been cut, they're not funny and go on for WAY too long.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:25 am

coola wrote:
He was fully machine in the original series, so he did not have a soul to go to the afterlife with.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Sebastian
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sebastian » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:26 am

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:59 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
coola wrote:
He was fully machine in the original series, so he did not have a soul to go to the afterlife with.
Eh debatable. Android 8 was wished back no problem in the Buu Saga.

This has been one hell of a ride. Who would ever thought a bunch of guys and a couple of girls making funny 10 minutes shorts of actual animes would reach this point? Not in just 60 episodes in 10 years of a long running flagship franchise, but also expand, become legit in a fashion, actually make hills move...kind of like a bunch of guys who made funny 3 minutes shorts of some FPS videogame almost 15 years ago. Funny how that played out, huh? :thumbup:

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:16 am

I'm really glad they still gave this season some closure for several reasons. The first being the obvious that it was a long time coming, but the second is that a lot of the side characters will get relegated to much smaller roles in the next arc. Kuriren/Yamcha/Tenshinhan are glorified cameos in the Boo arc and because they age up this is the last time we really see them in anything close to their classic appearances.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:06 am

Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:13 am

Danfun64 wrote:
You bet your ass you will.

Probably for DBcember.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:31 am

KaiserNeko wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:
You bet your ass you will.

Probably for DBcember.
Glad to hear it, Trunks! I mean Kaiser! I mean Scott!

Ah, f**k it, you're basically all of the above anyways.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:41 am

Doctor. wrote:Was expecting a jab at the plot hole of Cell's regen but oh well. Good episode, it's nice to see Kuririn and Yamcha treated decently for once. Glad the series is continuing into the arc with the most potential for humor.
One thing they didn't bother to explain was how Cell got back to Earth (somehow learning Goku's IT, which makes little sense to begin with). For the people who are watching DBZA and haven't seen the original (and yes, they do exist) that will be extra confusing.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:49 am

Also, jesus Kaiser, how many versions of Unmei no Hi did you guys do?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:33 pm

EnergizerConvoy wrote:Considering the Buu Saga will continue, somewhere out there. The DBZA haters are getting Aneurysms out of sheer stupidity.
Wow, didn't think they were that stupid, EnergizerConvoy.
sintzu wrote:
DanielSSJ wrote:I have to ask: Do you guys still have plans to abridge Dragon Ball Classic?
Didn't they say they might do the arcs as yearly movies ? maybe I'm remembering it wrong and it was a fan suggestion.
Kaiser suggested doing them as movies during one of the Drunk Souls III streams, if I'm remembering correctly.
Last edited by Scsigs on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

winnersproof

Post by winnersproof » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:34 pm

Absolutely fantastic episode! Great job Kaiser and everyone else at TFS! I've been following the series for 8 years now, so it was really cool to hear callbacks to the first couple of episode's jokes even now. This series and all the other awesome Dragon Ball stuff TFS does is what really got me into the series, and by extension brought me to the Japanese version of the series and Kanzenshuu. 13 year old me had to know what a Makankosappo or a Kienzan was when I heard it in Abridged, so thank you guys so much for setting me on the path to love Dragon Ball as much as I do.
KaiserNeko wrote: Also, you couldnt pay me to make the My Way scene shorter. XD
Any chance we'll get the full version? It was perfect!
VegettoEX wrote:It's completely blown out of proportion by fans who have never actually dealt with seeing Dragon Ball on a week-to-week basis before, are doing so in an era where the social media echo-chamber has never been more effective in regurgitating and parroting their own opinions back at them, have never seen something new for the first time in HD on a monitor six inches from their face, have no understanding of the animation industry, and see no irony at all in complaining about a product they have no legal right to even be watching in the first place.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:07 pm

Not really a fan of this episode, either (except Vegeta's "sorry" and Cell's death, those really worked for me). I feel like there's no reason for DBZA to even exist at this point given the tone of the last few episodes. There are barely even jokes in it anymore, and what few there are, are basically just old running gags among the fandom being repackaged. I swear, half the jokes in the last few episodes feel like they originated on image macros from the 2000s (e.g. Goku is a bad dad, Piccolo acts like a doting parent, Krillin got a good prize at the end of the Cell arc which cancels out his owned count, Krillin is short and timid so he has a big dick, Gohan should have thrown a senzu to Cell and let Goku fight him, etc.), some of which don't even make sense in the context that TFS frames them in (e.g. Gohan's sarcastic "should I let [Cell] go so he'll give me a good fight later?" doesn't make sense because TFS had Goku spare Vegeta because "he's sorry", not because he wanted to fight him). I far prefer the unpolished Season 1 to the bulk of Season 3 (goes downhill after Cell is introduced imo) because it was actually funny and didn't waste time on things like animating offhand comments from Toriyama.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:00 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Also, you couldn't pay me to make the My Way scene shorter. XD
Freaking great! I know you said years back you wanted Cell to be "unique", and while my first thought was "Well good with that", but Cell was always caught between the hedonism of his entire existence and having to keep some villainous poise. Damien Clarke has been running up on that lately. So casting off any notion of dignity and going full ham with him built up to how he would rationalize his own death, and he ran the gamut on that! And frankly I agree that bad guys who stay around for so long get to have a sendoff.

For my part, "Common dominator" is hands down the best Goku verbal flub yet because unlike the Freeza ones it doesn't take you out of the moment for how wrong it is, it flows naturally and then you catch it. Have to give another shout out to Yamcha and Krillin suddenly talking about dying over Vegeta's breakdown, that was the kind of thing I was missing earlier in the episode! Having skipped the stream, even with the "We were angels" drop, those credits were so long and elaborate I took the Buu arc confirmation as a fake-out! Was that intentional or just a happy accident?
RandomGuy96 wrote:Not really a fan of this episode, either (except Vegeta's "sorry" and Cell's death, those really worked for me). I feel like there's no reason for DBZA to even exist at this point given the tone of the last few episodes. There are barely even jokes in it anymore, and what few there are, are basically just old running gags among the fandom being repackaged.
I disagree in the severity, but agree with the sentiment.

Compare it to the Freeza finale for a moment; the sudden escalation and "quick thinking" of Namek's final hour were played to their absurdity, barring some fair points like the Kaio-ken kamehameha (which rode its own joke on the way in anyway). It doesn't mean every joke landed or that Season 3 didn't improve anything (Cell was more distinct from Freeza than Freeza was from Vegeta, that's a big one), but here we have the space pirate overlord and the golden warrior dueling on a vanishing planet... and King Kai is questioning his life choices as Goku ponders Freeza's offer of pizza. But now suddenly we have all of these great musical covers going on the in the background like it's the real thing... and "My Way", "EAT THAT HORSE!", and DRAMATIC FINISH! were the only times I full-out laughed because they felt like the pie-in-face levity where I was allowed to. Half of that is just me tempermentally, though.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:32 pm

I won't say everything is completely perfect, but I think they got as close as humanly possible. Somehow you gave almost all the characters a satisfying ending. Holy shit that Vegeta moment. Honestly this season needed the seriousness, and it worked extremely well imho. Of course a lot of gags return, cause they are running gags and most of them get an ending, or a final reprise as part of this being pretty much an ending. I know the series is basically continuing, but it COULD'VE ended here and that's the way it was written. It makes sense for jokes to return (in a final form, like the Grant joke, Krillin owned counter, Goku being a bad dad). To say that there were almost no jokes is... well, are you sure you got all the jokes? There were a lot of in there still. Maybe not as much as an episode from the Freeza or Saiyan arcs, but those are different arcs and they handled them differently, just like they will handle the Buu arc differently. It's a style and I really like it.

In any case, my god, Kaiser and the rest of your team, thank you so goshdarn much for all your hard work. And to have revealed that you will actually be continuing the series is a blessing! I had already accepted that this was the end, I was already completely okay with that, and then to have you guys reveal you were gonna do it anyway, is amazing! Bless all of you. Hope you don't let the critics take you down, but let them make you stronger, and I hope you get lots of love from your fans! What a ride.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:20 pm

Really bang-on job with this one, and yet another piece in the pile of my "THE SERIES SHOULD'VE ENDED AT CELL" archives :lol: . All of the music was really great, and the middle finger salute is now canon by my official decree.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:17 pm

I got so many chills when I heard Frank Sinatra. Oh my god I was literally listening to that song for a whole week prior watching this episode and It's so tragic and super hilarious that Cell died singing this song. I don't understand all the hate. I really think it is the different generations and age gap of the audience. I also loved that you guys made him sing the whole song! It was also a smart way to summarize Season 3. Hoping for a kai abridged season 3 though hehe.

The middle finger exchange between Trunks and Vegeta made me laugh for sure. So many things I can list that was great.

Yamcha is also so annoying but in a funny way. I'm going to rewatch the whole series now! :mrgreen: :clap:

Each character got their due.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:44 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Android 17 actually mentions a boat when they realize they have to go to Kame house.

Also, you couldnt pay me to make the My Way scene shorter. XD
I also had a problem with Cell song the first time, because everything was kinda serious during the beam clash, i was expecting something more dramatic or "epic" to finish the fight, so the song catch me off guard in the wrong way and i couldn't appreciate it, but when i watched the episode again today, i was prepared for it, and i found it actually funny and I enjoyed Taka performance a lot more.

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:36 pm

Scsigs wrote:
EnergizerConvoy wrote:Considering the Buu Saga will continue, somewhere out there. The DBZA haters are getting Aneurysms out of sheer stupidity.
Wow, didn't think they were that stupid, EnergizerConvoy.
I'll give them 9 Minutes & 18 Seconds.

Also since the Cell games are now over. Lani better make sure this crossover is happening.
https://twitter.com/Lanipator/status/596460509357965312