DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bianju

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Bianju » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:18 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote: How do you get a Two and half men vibe from DBZA?

Not really a similar style and TFS is actuallu funny
I get more of a Seinfeld vibe. :P
What? No. :| Seinfeld is like observational humor. An entire subplot in Seinfeld was about trying to get rid of a shirt or something, or keeping clear of a gang who model themselves after the 8th american president. And Two and a Half Men was about a sociopath, an ineffectual loser and his son, and really bad sex jokes.

DBZA is its own brand of internet humor, bred in the fires in a place where they arent' beholden to corporate execs or commercials. Internet Comedy, and DBZA has a level of goofiness closer to animated western cartoons from Cartoon Network and Comedy Central than live action sitcoms.
If we're going to compare it to anything actually on television, I'd say their writing style is WAY closer to Archer than any modern sitcom. Or Arrested Development. Maybe.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:26 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote: How do you get a Two and half men vibe from DBZA?

I get more of a Seinfeld vibe. :P
What? No. :| Seinfeld is like observational humor. An entire subplot in Seinfeld was about trying to get rid of a shirt or something, or keeping clear of a gang who model themselves after the 8th american president. And Two and a Half Men was about a sociopath, an ineffectual loser and his son, and really bad sex jokes.

DBZA is its own brand of internet humor, bred in the fires in a place where they arent' beholden to corporate execs or commercials. Internet Comedy, and DBZA has a level of goofiness closer to animated western cartoons from Cartoon Network and Comedy Central than live action sitcoms.
Eh, yeah. You're right. Konosuba (like, in general) is Seinfeld. DBZ Abridged is probably more Archer.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:45 pm

simtek34 wrote:Am I the only one who wants the remake footage over the one on the Dragon Boxes for PtEtSS?
The remake looks awful beyond the final Kamehameha scene, plus it's less material to work with.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:20 pm

Bianju wrote: If we're going to compare it to anything actually on television, I'd say their writing style is WAY closer to Archer than any modern sitcom. Or Arrested Development. Maybe.
TekTheNinja wrote: Eh, yeah. You're right. Konosuba (like, in general) is Seinfeld. DBZ Abridged is probably more Archer.
And the creators of Archer, their previous shows were Sealab 2021 and Frisky Dingo, which were on *drumroll* Cartoon Network! Boom Baby! :mrgreen:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:04 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Noah wrote:Do you guys got some inspirations from Two and a Half Men or other american sitcoms in general while doing this parody? Because I find the humor very similar sometimes
How do you get a Two and half men vibe from DBZA?

It wasn't about similarity on genre/style but the way the humor through the dialogue is conducted.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:33 pm

simtek34 wrote:Am I the only one who wants the remake footage over the one on the Dragon Boxes for PtEtSS?
Well the thing is that the remake cuts out like half the plot...so.....
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:06 pm

Hey guys! It seems that YouTube is wanting to remove annotations by May 2 for whatever weird reason. This is an option that will negatively affect many YouTube content creators, because annotations are the only things I know of that you can put anywhere in the video that you want; YouTube WANTS to replace them with End Screens and Cards, but neither of those have all the functionalities that annotations do.

So if you would...

https://www.change.org/p/susan-wojcicki ... k%EF%BB%BF

Please sign the above petition; its toward the senior manager of YouTube herself, as well as one other person. Thank you for your time!
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:26 pm

Fionordequester wrote:Hey guys! It seems that YouTube is wanting to remove annotations by May 2 for whatever weird reason. This is an option that will negatively affect many YouTube content creators, because annotations are the only things I know of that you can put anywhere in the video that you want; YouTube WANTS to replace them with End Screens and Cards, but neither of those have all the functionalities that annotations do.

So if you would...

https://www.change.org/p/susan-wojcicki ... k%EF%BB%BF

Please sign the above petition; its toward the senior manager of YouTube herself, as well as one other person. Thank you for your time!
Tbh annotations suck. And also I don't know if this is the appropriate place for this.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:43 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Tbh annotations suck. And also I don't know if this is the appropriate place for this.
TeamFourStar is a channel of Youtube content creators, so I figured this sort of change would negatively impact them as well as others. As for annotations, how else would I be able to add in supplementary info or correct any mistakes I made? There are no other features that have the functionality that annotations do; not that I'm aware of anyway.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:41 pm

So we have 2 versions of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5EgpeFviJo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWdb7Gu63_0

The latter I prefer....especially for Brock XD.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:42 pm

So...what version of the Pokemon short is better? Personally, I like 1Kids' version a bit better.
By the way, Grant sounds almost exactly like Eric Stewart's Brock/Kaiba voice. Good on him.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:47 pm

I prefer the one on TFS's Channel overall, but the one on 1Kids's Channel has the better ending with Cell in the Master Ball

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:09 pm

Kinda wished Inna did the editing on the first one.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:23 pm

I think the TFS one was miles ahead of the other in terms of both voices and jokes.

Grant's Brock and James were absolutely spot on, especially Brock. I hope he voice acts a semi-important character role in the Buu saga.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:51 pm

Really liked the TFS made one, especially laughed at Cell's reaction to seeing Team Rocket, and the ending with Mewtwo flying by. 'Is that f**king Frieza?!' :lol: So glad I'm not the only one who thought that as a kid. Oh, also noticed that the credits under the video list Kaiser for Meowth, but...unless I blinked and missed it, we didn't even see or hear Meowth, did we? That did sound like him for the narrator though, and that credit I don't see.

As for the other version...ehhhh...no offense meant at all to the other group, but not really feeling that version. It felt a little too try-hard, and most of the jokes were...ehh. Just not for me really. To give it some credit though, I did laugh at it acknowledging most of it being yelling, and the joke about the GS ball (One day...one day...nah!) was pretty great too.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:53 am

Grant's Brock and James were really good!
(How fitting for the resident Pokémon lorax to do voices for the Pokémon crossover. :mrgreen: ).
Also after following Sun and Moon for several months it's so surreal to see the original's character models again.

I dropped Pokémon in early Johto, but the voice they used for Ash was spot on where it was when I left off. (I remember it starting deeper and getting higher as the show progressed.)
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:06 am

I can't stop laughing at Brock going Super Saiyan...it's just too damn funny.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:30 pm

"Is... That f*ckin' Freeza?" made my day :lol:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:38 am

I've got to admit that the Elite 3 version of the crossover produced more laughs from me than the more played-straight TFS version. But mainly because I was already such a big fan of Pokémon 'Bridged and was really, REALLY hoping this whole time for 1Kids' version of Ash to square off against Cell.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:14 pm

My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015