DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Scsigs » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:31 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:
Brikikoz wrote:Maybe it's time to look at a kickstarter for each episode.

It'd work.
That would be... so illegal.
I'm not a law expert so can you explain why?
They're not the licensers of the footage. It would be exactly the same as monetizing the episodes for ads on YouTube. They'd open themselves up for lawsuits by Toei if they did that. Profiting off the footage directly is illegal, hence why Patreon exists as a means for people to donate to them & they have a gaming channel for monetizing videos, in addition to their other channels. Other sources of income are preferable to monetizing the work directly in their case. They're already skirting the line between copyright infringement & fair use, which would fall on their side more often than not because they don't monetize the work as well as parody it, anything like that would be suicide.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:14 pm

Did they do adventures of pudding for the new expansion yet?
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:04 pm

TobyS wrote:Did they do adventures of pudding for the new expansion yet?
Yeah. They did a livestream a few weeks ago. Check their Stream Four Star channel.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:05 pm

Scsigs wrote:
TobyS wrote:Did they do adventures of pudding for the new expansion yet?
Yeah. They did a livestream a few weeks ago. Check their Stream Four Star channel.
Wow that was kinda annoying they just talked about snacks we couldn't taste or even see. And don't even exist in my country. All the while ignoring the dialogue of the game.

Admittedly it's not an Oscar worthy plot but it's more interesting that “wow these doritos are good" (they didn't even tell us the flavour!!)

But I'm sure some of my lack of enjoyment is on me. I've become more anti videogames on the whole so watching people game for a solid hour eating unhealthy food kinda depressed me lol
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:41 am

Scsigs wrote: They're not the licensers of the footage. It would be exactly the same as monetizing the episodes for ads on YouTube. They'd open themselves up for lawsuits by Toei if they did that. Profiting off the footage directly is illegal, hence why Patreon exists as a means for people to donate to them & they have a gaming channel for monetizing videos, in addition to their other channels. Other sources of income are preferable to monetizing the work directly in their case. They're already skirting the line between copyright infringement & fair use, which would fall on their side more often than not because they don't monetize the work as well as parody it, anything like that would be suicide.
Even Patreon is already a stretch since it might not be a direct route of monetizing their activity but it can be seen as an indirect route, especially since they aren't actually creating their own parody from scratch but editing the official footage.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:22 pm

rereboy wrote:Even Patreon is already a stretch since it might not be a direct route of monetizing their activity but it can be seen as an indirect route, especially since they aren't actually creating their own parody from scratch but editing the official footage.
Realistically, though, Patreon is a donation service. A means to donate directly to who you think deserves it. They also use a similar thing on Twitch when they livestream. Tons of people use those methods to fund themselves for their projects, or pay off bills if there's nothing else to do but have more time for the projects. Donations are different than directly monetizing the content. I mean, back when the Mighty No. 9 kickstarter started, Keiji Inafune wanted to make a spiritual successor to Mega Man. That's all most people knew him for. A few years later, after a disastrous lack of PR from him & his company, the game came out. It's as close to classic Mega Man as you can get, just not. Granted, most indie game developers make homages to their favorite classic games, but Mighty No. 9 is similar enough to mega Man that it borders on copyright infringement. Then again, Capcom's since rereleased the first 10 Mega Man games, as well as plan for the X series to do the same, & they seem to be banking off people's renewed interest in the property, as well as new interest, so I don't think they mind.
I get that a new IP is different from an Abridged series, but if crowdfunding can work for one creator, then the other creators funding to pay off their bills isn't too different. Literally all they need for DBZA is time, but more than that, it's far from all they focus on at this point. I think I said it skirts the line, but it's not inherently copyright infringement. It's a sort of gray area, but one where I think the team is on the right side of. I mean, you could also say that any jobs that they had prior to using Patreon funded DBZA. The money that they made from both went to the same purposes for paying the bills and business expenses they may have had. Patreon just gives them wasted time back.
I'm probably not the most qualified person to talk about these things, but from what I've seen & heard, TFS aren't in the wrong for having a Patreon, nor are they the only ones who do what they do & use fan funding to pay bills & expenses to have more free time & resources (which is both technology & manpower) to do what they're doing. I'm sure that if they didn't believe they were in the right, they wouldn't have started the Patreon in the first place, y'know?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:41 pm

Patreon is literally a donation service that you can donate money to any reason. Yeah there may be a slight issue with the reason people are donating is because of their DBZ parodies but still they're not profiting directly from DBZ.

And I'm not an expert on fair use but aren't parodies protected by fair use? I know it's different because they're dubbing over (sometimes modified) existing footage but it's not like they're playing entire episodes. And I can't imagine a parody series is going to deter people from supporting the official release unless they don't care for DBZ outside of DBZA :D

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:32 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Patreon is literally a donation service that you can donate money to any reason. Yeah there may be a slight issue with the reason people are donating is because of their DBZ parodies but still they're not profiting directly from DBZ.

And I'm not an expert on fair use but aren't parodies protected by fair use? I know it's different because they're dubbing over (sometimes modified) existing footage but it's not like they're playing entire episodes. And I can't imagine a parody series is going to deter people from supporting the official release unless they don't care for DBZ outside of DBZA :D
I mean, all they did was build up their audience over the last 10 years, then let that audience support them if they want to. Philip DeFranco did the exact same thing to try to build a news network that gets facts right & doesn't rely entirely on advertising to be funded, which is why a lot of people like him as a person. They're not profiting off of their videos directly (although Phil DOES try to do that because he has the right to), they just let their fans support them to keep doing what they love to do & what they want to do.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:36 pm

Scsigs wrote:
rereboy wrote:Even Patreon is already a stretch since it might not be a direct route of monetizing their activity but it can be seen as an indirect route, especially since they aren't actually creating their own parody from scratch but editing the official footage.
Realistically, though, Patreon is a donation service. A means to donate directly to who you think deserves it. They also use a similar thing on Twitch when they livestream. Tons of people use those methods to fund themselves for their projects, or pay off bills if there's nothing else to do but have more time for the projects. Donations are different than directly monetizing the content. I mean, back when the Mighty No. 9 kickstarter started, Keiji Inafune wanted to make a spiritual successor to Mega Man. That's all most people knew him for. A few years later, after a disastrous lack of PR from him & his company, the game came out. It's as close to classic Mega Man as you can get, just not. Granted, most indie game developers make homages to their favorite classic games, but Mighty No. 9 is similar enough to mega Man that it borders on copyright infringement. Then again, Capcom's since rereleased the first 10 Mega Man games, as well as plan for the X series to do the same, & they seem to be banking off people's renewed interest in the property, as well as new interest, so I don't think they mind.
I get that a new IP is different from an Abridged series, but if crowdfunding can work for one creator, then the other creators funding to pay off their bills isn't too different. Literally all they need for DBZA is time, but more than that, it's far from all they focus on at this point. I think I said it skirts the line, but it's not inherently copyright infringement. It's a sort of gray area, but one where I think the team is on the right side of. I mean, you could also say that any jobs that they had prior to using Patreon funded DBZA. The money that they made from both went to the same purposes for paying the bills and business expenses they may have had. Patreon just gives them wasted time back.
I'm probably not the most qualified person to talk about these things, but from what I've seen & heard, TFS aren't in the wrong for having a Patreon, nor are they the only ones who do what they do & use fan funding to pay bills & expenses to have more free time & resources (which is both technology & manpower) to do what they're doing. I'm sure that if they didn't believe they were in the right, they wouldn't have started the Patreon in the first place, y'know?
I'm not disagreeing with any of that. However, just how far the limits go and what can be seen as simply a subterfuge to do practically the same thing is basically a matter of interpretation. I'm not saying that I think there's a danger in using Patreon, I'm simply saying that even that is not THAT safe if they decide to really interpret things non favorably.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:59 pm

rereboy wrote:[spoiler]
Scsigs wrote:
[/spoiler]

I'm not disagreeing with any of that. However, just how far the limits go and what can be seen as simply a subterfuge to do practically the same thing is basically a matter of interpretation. I'm not saying that I think there's a danger in using Patreon, I'm simply saying that even that is not THAT safe if they decide to really interpret things non favorably.
Yeah, & fair use law IS something that's still being defined as the internet ages, new people come about, cultures clash, & . new interpretations of the law are brought up. The main problems with fair use come from different interpretations of it & copyright infringement, which are slowly being defined as court cases set precedents. There's also the interests of the parties accusing at mind. Toei also comes from Japan; a country that has no discernable fair use laws because, without a major overhaul of their copyright laws, fair use doesn't directly exist, nor could it, in their laws from what I understand. They view TFS' DBZA as a violation of their copyright laws, which it might be, but they're based in America, which is different than Japan in that fair use exists, including parody laws & other precedents that have been set. Patreon really doesn't have to deal with either though, since they're a donation service for consistent crowdfunding as an alternate means of raising funds when not a lot of alternate methods are viable.
And now, TFS are doing the dub of Hells & have started other channels meant to be focused on other kinds of content that they can monetize, all being segregated than their DBZA series, which they do to raise their status so they can draw people to their other channels or Patreon to be able to continue all of what they do, not just DBZA. So, this is why I say they exist in a gray area, but one that's in their favor, since you can't easily say that they use crowdfunding to just do DBZA, since it's more akin to a passion project at this point, which is why Toei wouldn't win, or it at least would be incredibly hard to win, in a lawsuit against them in a US court.
Again, I may not be the best person to speak on this, but it's pretty easy to see even for a layman.
TobyS wrote:Wow that was kinda annoying they just talked about snacks we couldn't taste or even see. And don't even exist in my country. All the while ignoring the dialogue of the game.

Admittedly it's not an Oscar worthy plot but it's more interesting that “wow these doritos are good" (they didn't even tell us the flavour!!)

But I'm sure some of my lack of enjoyment is on me. I've become more anti videogames on the whole so watching people game for a solid hour eating unhealthy food kinda depressed me lol
I should've got back to you a few days ago, sorry.
Yeah, them snacking on various Japanese snacks they got is annoying, but I found some of what they had to say interesting, but it'd be better if I had the same snack crates that they got so I could sample it with them. It also felt like padding, since it takes up 20-30 minutes of a 1.5-hour video, which isn't the reason you're there, but luckily that's skippable if you don't like it.
Yeah, I don't care for the fact that they weren't more invested in the DLC, but I understand why they weren't. They've been let down by the XV duology thus far from what they expected. They don't outright hate the games, but they're simply disappointed with the final products. Some of their criticisms I agree with, but I had more fun with the games because I took advantage of what they had in them because I understood that they're Action RPGs & should be played as such, unlike TFS, who seemed to be under the impression that there weren't stupid challenges up ahead. The games could've been better structured with the experience required with the enemies, as well as have competent ally A.I., but I think some of their disappointment is unjustified.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:30 pm

Oh shit a platinum Nuzlocke, hyped.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:35 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:Oh shit a platinum Nuzlocke, hyped.
Yeah, I got burned out on the whole Nuzlocke thing awhile ago. It just doesn't appeal to me.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:49 pm

I like that Lani used his Vegeta voice in that videogame they made and now I'm really hoping if they make another fighting game it'll be made up of characters from their D&D streams.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:28 pm

Chuquita wrote:I like that Lani used his Vegeta voice in that videogame they made and now I'm really hoping if they make another fighting game it'll be made up of characters from their D&D streams.
They could always add characters in an update or something. Personally, I'd love it if they could port the game to consoles too eventually. Maybe add online support too, but that'd probably cost money & space for servers, which they probably don't have.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:42 am

Chuquita wrote:I like that Lani used his Vegeta voice in that videogame they made and now I'm really hoping if they make another fighting game it'll be made up of characters from their D&D streams.
Oh, i want like a full turn-based RPG with Wake, Ezra and Eloy as the main characters.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:56 am

Jackalope89 wrote:
Yeah, I got burned out on the whole Nuzlocke thing awhile ago. It just doesn't appeal to me.
It’s more fun if you up the levels and randomize the encounters and trainers.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:28 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:
Personally, I just prefer to play an adventure game as intended, even if it's a series like Pokemon.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote: Yeah, I got burned out on the whole Nuzlocke thing awhile ago. It just doesn't appeal to me.
Personally, I just prefer to play an adventure game as intended, even if it's a series like Pokemon.
When you own the game and beaten the game 20+ times there’s nothing wrong with mixing things up.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:58 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
When you own the game and beaten the game 20+ times there’s nothing wrong with mixing things up.
True, but I can only name a handful of games I've beaten more than once or twice, & most of those were to record higher-quality footage than my original playthroughs for YouTube, or to record a playthrough in the first place of a game I've played before. Most Pokemon games, I've only played once to full completion. It's like doing a level 1 run of any of the main Kingdom Hearts games. I get it if you want a more challenging experience, but I'm not gonna do that because I don't care to do so.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:16 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Personally, I just prefer to play an adventure game as intended, even if it's a series like Pokemon.
True, but I can only name a handful of games I've beaten more than once or twice, & most of those were to record higher-quality footage than my original playthroughs for YouTube, or to record a playthrough in the first place of a game I've played before. Most Pokemon games, I've only played once to full completion. It's like doing a level 1 run of any of the main Kingdom Hearts games. I get it if you want a more challenging experience, but I'm not gonna do that because I don't care to do so.
Good for you then.