DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Noah » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:27 pm

FoolsGil wrote:Hopefully after he mentions he's planning to dye his hair. :lol:
Though I think that would be pretty funny, I don't really see the need in connecting Super to Z, but that's up to TFS to decide :)
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:58 pm

omegalucas wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:IBut seriously only 14 episodes of the whole series left??
God damn looks like the Buu Arc is really going to be short then.
I think Kaiser meant 14 episodes of Z to adapt this season. That'll be adapted into 6 Abridged episodes.
If he meant THAT, then I think he misunderstood me. I meant the number of episodes left in ABRIDGED, not the original Z.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:01 pm

Noah wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:Hopefully after he mentions he's planning to dye his hair. :lol:
Though I think that would be pretty funny, I don't really see the need in connecting Super to Z, but that's up to TFS to decide :)
They always do call forwards, though. Bojack was one of the earliest, King Kai saying Goku is gonna be the death of him, Vegeta killing Nappa at a certain time in the episode he did, mentioning Beerus, etc. It'd be a nice connection to their Super clip where Vegeta tells Trunks, "You think you're f*cking smart!?! I've become Super Saiyan Blue & you just die your hair!?! I'll slap your shit, boy!" depending on how they script it.

testing223
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by testing223 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:46 am

sintzu wrote:
testing223 wrote:I'm really looking forward to the rumored original DB abridged being done. No idea how or when that'll be done, some sort of movies? Flashbacks during the Buu saga break?

Watching the full series like that would be a perfect way to get new fans to DB.
Abridged wouldn't work if someone didn't know what the original was and why the jokes were meant to be funny.
Exactly.

Plain DB is, honestly, unwatchable for a modern audience. Even original DBZ is pushing it for a new audience these days. No one cares about Tien or Yamcha except for those who actually put in the effort of looking their backstories.

EVERYONE here has grown up on DBZ to some degree. Therefore, DB itself has some amount of interest because it's characters we care about. A new viewer starting with Raditz has no possible understanding of Piccolo's character at that point, which is a bit of a tragedy because it was one of the better DB arcs.

On its own, Db is pretty lame. And this is from someone who loves it, just admitting the truth.

A lot of DBZAbridged jokes are callbacks to DB and the DB fandom, mostly Piccolo and Tien's tournaments. So already we have some backstory that will add to the overall DBZA humor and lore.

I think having DB abridged with the DBZA style humor will be incredible, and I'm waiting for that to introduce a whole new generation of anime fans to DB with it.
I play baseball and work in LA.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:24 am

testing223 wrote:
Plain DB is, honestly, unwatchable for a modern audience. Even original DBZ is pushing it for a new audience these days. No one cares about Tien or Yamcha except for those who actually put in the effort of looking their backstories.

EVERYONE here has grown up on DBZ to some degree.
The problem is that new viewers will take one look at it and think it isn't good based on it being form the 80's-90's. People expect everything to look "shiny" and "new", and what isn't = bad, ignoaring the important things like plot and animation. Super for example looks shiny and new like everything else but taking a second to look at it closely and compare it to the original will tell you right away that shiny doesn't mean better in any way.

I saw Z first and wish I didn't cause I missed out on what would've been very shocking plot points.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:57 pm

sintzu wrote:I saw Z first and wish I didn't cause I missed out on what would've been very shocking plot points.
You just reminded me of Chris Stuckmann's review of Z, where he brought up the fact that in Z, Goku dies & he says that having him die in the first few episodes was a big risk. Showing that he completely disregarded the fact that Z is a sequel series to DB & that the manga didn't even change the name in between the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai arc & the Saiyan arc. I'm like, "have you NEVER seen DB, or taken into account that it's NOT a prequel series, dude?" Seriously, his critical research failure is just terrible. I also can't take him seriously because he based all of his opinions on Z based on the FUNimation terrible dub alone. Seriously, who DOES that if they're a reviewer who wants to be taken seriously?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:40 pm

Scsigs wrote:He completely disregarded the fact that Z is a sequel series to DB & that the manga didn't even change the name in between the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai arc & the Saiyan arc. I'm like, "have you NEVER seen DB, or taken into account that it's NOT a prequel series, dude?" Seriously, his critical research failure is just terrible. I also can't take him seriously because he based all of his opinions on Z based on the FUNimation terrible dub alone. Seriously, who DOES that if they're a reviewer who wants to be taken seriously?
A lot of the American fans either treat DB like an unimportant prequel or act like it doesn't exsist. That sad thing is, some don't even give it a chance so it makes no sense for them to act that way towards it.

I think DB is the only story that a major part of it (a 3rd I think) is ignoared like that which mostly goes back to the choice of splitting the anime up into 2 parts.

What most don't know is that the split happened so that the show could get extra funding and promotion due to it starting over at ep1, it was never done to disregard what came before.

I got into DB through Z so I don't have an issue with people wanting to start with it but any fan should go back and watch DB at least once.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:05 pm

sintzu wrote:
Scsigs wrote:He completely disregarded the fact that Z is a sequel series to DB & that the manga didn't even change the name in between the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai arc & the Saiyan arc. I'm like, "have you NEVER seen DB, or taken into account that it's NOT a prequel series, dude?" Seriously, his critical research failure is just terrible. I also can't take him seriously because he based all of his opinions on Z based on the FUNimation terrible dub alone. Seriously, who DOES that if they're a reviewer who wants to be taken seriously?
A lot of the American fans either treat DB like an unimportant prequel or act like it doesn't exsist. That sad thing is, some don't even give it a chance so it makes no sense for them to act that way towards it.

I think DB is the only story that a major part of it (a 3rd I think) is ignoared like that which mostly goes back to the choice of splitting the anime up into 2 parts.

What most don't know is that the split happened so that the show could get extra funding and promotion due to it starting over at ep1, it was never done to disregard what came before.

I got into DB through Z so I don't have an issue with people wanting to start with it but any fan should go back and watch DB at least once.
It's weird, though. He acknowledges DB exists & came before, but then he acts like it was a prequel rather than exactly what came before. He completely disregards it, which is completely stupid to do.

Brikikoz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brikikoz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:46 pm

Scsigs wrote: It's weird, though. He acknowledges DB exists & came before, but then he acts like it was a prequel rather than exactly what came before. He completely disregards it, which is completely stupid to do.
Maybe he's like a lot of fans and saw DBZ first and only got interested in vanilla DB years later? That would make it a prequel to him! :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:17 pm

Brikikoz wrote:
Scsigs wrote: It's weird, though. He acknowledges DB exists & came before, but then he acts like it was a prequel rather than exactly what came before. He completely disregards it, which is completely stupid to do.
Maybe he's like a lot of fans and saw DBZ first and only got interested in vanilla DB years later? That would make it a prequel to him! :thumbup:
I see where you're coming from, but that's like saying Star Trek TOS is a prequel to TNG, rather than the series that came directly before it.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:49 pm

Scsigs wrote:I see where you're coming from, but that's like saying Star Trek TOS is a prequel to TNG, rather than the series that came directly before it.
Even that's not quite right, TOS and TNG were written to be separate entities. The stories from Dragon Ball Z were never intended to be separated from the ones that came before.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:59 pm

DanielSSJ wrote:
Scsigs wrote:I see where you're coming from, but that's like saying Star Trek TOS is a prequel to TNG, rather than the series that came directly before it.
Even that's not quite right, TOS and TNG were written to be separate entities. The stories from Dragon Ball Z were never intended to be separated from the ones that came before.
True, but considering that the first few seasons of TNG were paced like, and even directly rip off, older episodes from TOS, that might help that mentality. Plus, considering the first several arcs of Dragon Ball were comedic & lighthearted before becoming progressively more serious, it might help that mentality as well. It's like what GT attempted to do, first be more comedic & lighthearted like DB, then become more serious like Z. It lead to serious mood whiplash at points, but it's what the showrunners wanted to do at the time. Super also tries to combine the comedy of DB with the seriousness of Z, but does it more successfully with leaving comedy to the standalone in-between episodes & having the seriousness be in the main arcs. So, it's just stupid either way.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:38 pm

testing223 wrote:Plain DB is, honestly, unwatchable for a modern audience. Even original DBZ is pushing it for a new audience these days. No one cares about Tien or Yamcha except for those who actually put in the effort of looking their backstories.
Sorry, but you can't state that as a fact. I'm not one of those, I would have no problem in watching again all 153 original Dragon Ball episodes, this first series are really good and the pacing is not unberable as Z, as it's story and added plot points to fill the manga timeslot.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:14 pm

Noah wrote:Sorry, but you can't state that as a fact. I'm not one of those, I would have no problem in watching again all 153 original Dragon Ball episodes, this first series are really good and the pacing is not unberable as Z, as it's story and added plot points to fill the manga timeslot.
Definitely agree. When I was getting into the series, I had to put it on hold around the time that Cell achieved his Perfect Form because of the pacing (I had already gotten the classic Dragon Ball via the manga), but I was able to marathon through all 153 episodes of Dragon Ball without getting bored, filler included.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:25 pm

FUNimation's dubbing has made the OG Dragon Ball series unwatchable from an english side of things. It's even more dated than the japanese audio recorded in the 80s. And that. Is pathetic.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:27 pm

TheAldella wrote:FUNimation's dubbing has made the OG Dragon Ball series unwatchable from an english side of things. It's even more dated than the japanese audio recorded in the 80s. And that. Is pathetic.
The main reason why I hated that Kai only covered the "Z" portion of the series was because it meant that Dragon Ball would be precluded from getting a proper English dub.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:58 am

Probably not related to another but I would prefer to not have DBcember this year and have new episodes instead.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:24 pm

Noah wrote:Probably not related to another but I would prefer to not have DBcember this year and have new episodes instead.
And yet the two couldn't be anymore unrelated. DBcember is them playing games & doing rank videos. And the episodes take a while to put together. That's why they, when they're not delayed for whatever reason, are on a monthly schedule with the show & why the gaming videos come out every day. One's easier to edit than the other.

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:56 pm

Also, edited by completely unrelated people.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:03 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Also, edited by completely unrelated people.
Right, but even if you guys started now, you probably couldn't get more than a few episodes out if you tried to get them out for December, right, or am I way off here?