DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by omegalucas » Tue May 08, 2018 4:11 pm

New video on the channel. Not sure if any is new information we didn't get before, but it's always nice to hear Kaiser talk.

Hope I'm reading too much into that (kinda said with a sad tone) "End of a Saga" bit tho.
Last edited by omegalucas on Tue May 08, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue May 08, 2018 4:16 pm

omegalucas wrote:New video on the channel. Not sure if any is new information we didn't get before, but it's always nice to hear Kaiser talk.

Hope I'm not reading too much into that (kinda said with a sad tone) "End of a Saga" bit tho.
I think you are, considering that bit was just him saying that they're finally getting done with it after so long that it's a relief. I fully expect them to continue into Buu unless they're forced not to.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Brikikoz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brikikoz » Wed May 09, 2018 6:52 pm

I wonder if the DBZA crew has looked into Deepfake tech? I suspect it'll become viable for animation soon and make lip-flap matching a lot easier for abridgers.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat May 12, 2018 12:41 am

Kaiser just released a bit of trivia on twitter:

KaiserNeko wrote:The "Go for Ten" joke has an extra layer beyond the Goten name reference.

孫悟空(そんごくう)/Son Gokū contains the word 空 Kū (Kuu) in it, which-- when spelled with the Kanji, 九, means nine.

Gokū's record was *nine* times, before Chi-Chi wanted him to "go for ten."
Usually, jokes based on puns and names don't work when crossing international waters, but I think not only would a native japanese speaker get this, they'd probably laugh even harder then we ever did when that line comes up.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat May 12, 2018 6:20 pm

I think after Episode 60 we might get another big hiatus, until Movie 9 and finally Boo arc. I think that after all these years they at least will try to finish Z as a whole.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon May 14, 2018 8:05 am

During the DBZA Marathon Stream, Kaiser released another bit of trivia: Future Trunks was originally supposed to die to the Androids in the Special, and Future Bulma would have cloned a new Future Trunks to go back in time. Kaiser was vetoed. :lol:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon May 14, 2018 11:27 am

FoolsGil wrote:During the DBZA Marathon Stream, Kaiser released another bit of trivia: Future Trunks was originally supposed to die to the Androids in the Special, and Future Bulma would have cloned a new Future Trunks to go back in time. Kaiser was vetoed. :lol:
I'm pretty sure that was just a thing he proposed, but was never fully serious about.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon May 14, 2018 7:22 pm

Scsigs wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:During the DBZA Marathon Stream, Kaiser released another bit of trivia: Future Trunks was originally supposed to die to the Androids in the Special, and Future Bulma would have cloned a new Future Trunks to go back in time. Kaiser was vetoed. :lol:
I'm pretty sure that was just a thing he proposed, but was never fully serious about.
It doesn't really matter man. It's trivia, there's nothing to convince anyone on.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon May 14, 2018 11:32 pm

Dang, that marathon really made me remember how talented all of the voice actors who work on DBZ Abridged are. In fact, I think some of them are better suited to the role outside of parody than the official FUNimation cast. Specifically, I'm talking Trunks, No. 17, No.18, No.20, Cell, God, Tenshinhan, and Yamcha. LittleKuriboh stands out as the first good English Freeza, and MosakoX's Goku should be appreciated for introducing dub fans to a much less masculine sounding Goku.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:00 am

Another fun bit of trivia from the Marathon, on episode 35 Goku says "You are most unkind" causing Lani to mention that was a nod to some other thing they may have had the opportunity to do if not for. Of course he's referencing the TFS cameo on Kai Final Chapters English Dub with Fake Goku saying that line to Fake Cell. Episode 35 released in June of 2013 as if to prove even more how long ago Kai Final Chapters English dub was recorded.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue May 15, 2018 2:44 am

If you can only watch one episode with commentary from the guys from that marathon stream, let it be the Fake Namek episode. The episode itself is passable, but Lani and Taka's excited commentary combined with Kaiser's cringe (particularly during a certain live-action cameo) was wonderful.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue May 15, 2018 1:50 pm

batistabus wrote:Dang, that marathon really made me remember how talented all of the voice actors who work on DBZ Abridged are. In fact, I think some of them are better suited to the role outside of parody than the official FUNimation cast. Specifically, I'm talking Trunks, No. 17, No.18, No.20, Cell, God, Tenshinhan, and Yamcha. LittleKuriboh stands out as the first good English Freeza, and MosakoX's Goku should be appreciated for introducing dub fans to a much less masculine sounding Goku.
I mean, they've patterned most of their voices after the FUNi cast, so there's that. Plus, it's a parody. Most of the voices are ones I couldn't see working in an actual serious dub of the show, to be honest. In fact, some of them I couldn't stand being the official voices, like Trunks, 17, Goku, & Kami. To me, Eric Vale sounds a lot more badass than Kaiser in the role, Chuck Huber is a better fit than GanXingba, Sean sounds more badass than Masako does, & I just have a preference for Chris Sabat's Kami, but Remix is still good for the parody. Tien, Yamcha, & 20 I could give or take in either version. Though, Taka & LK knock it out of the park as Cell & Frieza, but I think that's mostly due to the scripting & the fact that they're in a parody that lets them shine. Considering that Taka's just doing a Dameon Clarke impression & LK's best lines come from the fact that he's in a parody, that only confirms that for me. 18 works on her own, though. Amber does a great job.
I mean, I respect the hell out of all of the TFS actors, but I don't think most of them would work for a serious dub of this show. All of their best moments come from the fact that their in an abridged series.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Tue May 15, 2018 3:24 pm

So, is the stream available to watch after it's done?
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue May 15, 2018 5:18 pm

omegalucas wrote:So, is the stream available to watch after it's done?
It's on Twitch for now.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue May 15, 2018 8:16 pm

Scsigs wrote:I mean, they've patterned most of their voices after the FUNi cast, so there's that. Plus, it's a parody. Most of the voices are ones I couldn't see working in an actual serious dub of the show, to be honest. In fact, some of them I couldn't stand being the official voices, like Trunks, 17, Goku, & Kami. To me, Eric Vale sounds a lot more badass than Kaiser in the role, Chuck Huber is a better fit than GanXingba, Sean sounds more badass than Masako does, & I just have a preference for Chris Sabat's Kami, but Remix is still good for the parody. Tien, Yamcha, & 20 I could give or take in either version. Though, Taka & LK knock it out of the park as Cell & Frieza, but I think that's mostly due to the scripting & the fact that they're in a parody that lets them shine. Considering that Taka's just doing a Dameon Clarke impression & LK's best lines come from the fact that he's in a parody, that only confirms that for me. 18 works on her own, though. Amber does a great job.
I mean, I respect the hell out of all of the TFS actors, but I don't think most of them would work for a serious dub of this show. All of their best moments come from the fact that their in an abridged series.
I don't want to get into dub bashing territory here, but I'm less concerned with an arbitrary measure of "badass" in a voice and more concerned with good acting and appropriate casting. Kaiser's Trunks sounds much more authentic, even if you ignore Vale's unbearable raspiness. DBZA's No. 17 & 18 actually sound like youths, and convey "coldness" while avoiding sounding robotic. While Sabat's God has improved, it's still a blatant "old man voice". I think Takahata has so much more charisma than Clarke. I prefer Ayres over LK, but LK was just such a stark improvement over Young. While I'm not a fan of Schemmel as an actor or a person, I do think he's better suited to Goku than MasakoX, even if the direction he's been given is a bit off. Masako lacks intensity for me, but I'm very happy with the direction of his performance and his versatility when voicing Gohan.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue May 15, 2018 9:17 pm

batistabus wrote:I don't want to get into dub bashing territory here, but I'm less concerned with an arbitrary measure of "badass" in a voice and more concerned with good acting and appropriate casting. Kaiser's Trunks sounds much more authentic, even if you ignore Vale's unbearable raspiness. DBZA's No. 17 & 18 actually sound like youths, and convey "coldness" while avoiding sounding robotic. While Sabat's God has improved, it's still a blatant "old man voice". I think Takahata has so much more charisma than Clarke. I prefer Ayres over LK, but LK was just such a stark improvement over Young. While I'm not a fan of Schemmel as an actor or a person, I do think he's better suited to Goku than MasakoX, even if the direction he's been given is a bit off. Masako lacks intensity for me, but I'm very happy with the direction of his performance and his versatility when voicing Gohan.
I still prefer Vale as Trunks, since Kaiser's voice for him sounds like he's trying to alter his voice a lot of the time, while Vale's voice for him sounds like he's comfortable in the voice, 17 & 18 haven't sounded robotic since Z when they let them finally talk more normally int he dubs of GT & the video games, & I don't see how Taka's version is supposed to have charisma, seeing as his Cell's more of a troll than anything & meant to sound scary. Masako's not bad for the parody, like I said, but I can't see him working for a more serious dub. I mean, hell, I can't even stand Nozawa's Goku longterm, even though I respect her as a voice actress. They casted male actors with deeper voices for adult Goku, Gohan, & Goten in the various dubs for a reason.
Don't get me wrong, these actors are all good, but I don't think all of them are better than the official voices, for the most part.

kemuri07
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kemuri07 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:54 am

Scsigs wrote:
batistabus wrote:Dang, that marathon really made me remember how talented all of the voice actors who work on DBZ Abridged are. In fact, I think some of them are better suited to the role outside of parody than the official FUNimation cast. Specifically, I'm talking Trunks, No. 17, No.18, No.20, Cell, God, Tenshinhan, and Yamcha. LittleKuriboh stands out as the first good English Freeza, and MosakoX's Goku should be appreciated for introducing dub fans to a much less masculine sounding Goku.
I mean, they've patterned most of their voices after the FUNi cast, so there's that. Plus, it's a parody. Most of the voices are ones I couldn't see working in an actual serious dub of the show, to be honest. In fact, some of them I couldn't stand being the official voices, like Trunks, 17, Goku, & Kami. To me, Eric Vale sounds a lot more badass than Kaiser in the role, Chuck Huber is a better fit than GanXingba, Sean sounds more badass than Masako does, & I just have a preference for Chris Sabat's Kami, but Remix is still good for the parody. Tien, Yamcha, & 20 I could give or take in either version. Though, Taka & LK knock it out of the park as Cell & Frieza, but I think that's mostly due to the scripting & the fact that they're in a parody that lets them shine. Considering that Taka's just doing a Dameon Clarke impression & LK's best lines come from the fact that he's in a parody, that only confirms that for me. 18 works on her own, though. Amber does a great job.
ehhh...I think TFS deserves a little bit more credit than that. Yeah, DBZA is parody, but for the past couple of years,TFS has been quietly transforming DBZA from a parody into an unofficial remake of the official series, less concerned with simply lampooning inconsistencies of the original funimation dub and more focused on just putting their own spin on specific scenes. Saying "for a parody series," kinda does them a disservice because I think they've been consistantly producing quality for, yeah, 10 years now.

ernesth100
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ernesth100 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:04 am

Tbh. Trunks's abridged voice is the best Trunks voice ever. And don't even get me started on literally about every villain. They always find the perfect VA. Especially for Frieza, Cell, Cooler and the Androids.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu May 17, 2018 11:22 am

Sadly, for me, since Kai, Eric Vale Trunks become very bad, he sounds to guruffy, he sounded great in Z, yet in Kai, he is one of few returning voice actors, who got worse :( And nowadays, if i had to choose my favorite English Trunks, i choose Kaiser take :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:10 pm

coola wrote:If I had to choose my favorite English Trunks, I choose Kaiser take :)
I think Eric Vale still the best ENG Trunks, Kaiser is good doing his impersonation, but sometimes he doesn't do much good
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.