DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:37 pm

Noah wrote:WEN HATCHYACK

Scsigs wrote:You wanna start a thread, or is there already one for that argument?
Yes
Figures Seto Kaiba's adoptive brother would beat me to the punch.
Anyways, bookmarked for the updates.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:04 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:... I'm kind confused why anyone would even take their playthroughs that seriously? Part of the joke with the whole thing is that they *obviously* deflect their own incompetence onto things that don't deserve it.

Although they're all wrong and dumb if they think GT is better than Super.
While that's true, they do seem to genuinely dislike Goten, which I don't quite think is fair

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:31 pm

Noah wrote:WEN HATCHYACK

Should we start a 15 count?

What if they are releasing it at 3:00 PM aka 1500?
Oh, the pun!
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:05 pm

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:11 pm

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:27 pm

That DB Super pop up had me wheezing.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:28 pm

I haven't really found a lot of enjoyment out of a lot of the recent TFS episodes, but I thought this one was pretty fun. Lot of fun humor I think involved, and honestly I think I prefer the vengeful Santa Claus approach rather than the actual vengeful Tuffle idea. All in all, a good episode.

My only real question is why the newer footage was used in contrast to using the original OVA. When comparing it to the other movies and the original TFS series, the old footage seems like it'd fit in much better to the general aesthetic versus the clearly newer Yamumuro version. I know Episode of Bardock is the same way, but that one sticks out too so I'm just a little naturally confused why not use the older version if it were to clearly fit in more? Regardless it's just a tone nitpick and doesn't detract from the actual writing of the episode, just puzzling since I don't personally get why. I'm assuming poor video quality of the original OVA, I guess.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:38 pm

Oh man, I'm really gonna need captions for this one. I couldn't make out half of what Raichi Santa said.
But other than that it was a really nice special. I especially loved the Tarble bit and the "VEGETA YESSSS!" :lol:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:40 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:That DB Super pop up had me wheezing.
You and me both. I was cracking up throughout.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:43 pm

MegaBossMan wrote:I haven't really found a lot of enjoyment out of a lot of the recent TFS episodes, but I thought this one was pretty fun. Lot of fun humor I think involved, and honestly I think I prefer the vengeful Santa Claus approach rather than the actual vengeful Tuffle idea. All in all, a good episode.

My only real question is why the newer footage was used in contrast to using the original OVA. When comparing it to the other movies and the original TFS series, the old footage seems like it'd fit in much better to the general aesthetic versus the clearly newer Yamumuro version. I know Episode of Bardock is the same way, but that one sticks out too so I'm just a little naturally confused why not use the older version if it were to clearly fit in more? Regardless it's just a tone nitpick and doesn't detract from the actual writing of the episode, just puzzling since I don't personally get why. I'm assuming poor video quality of the original OVA, I guess.
Probably because the newer animation's easier to work with than the original & that they could probably access it easier, due to it being in Raging Blast 2's extras, like how Episode of Bardock was on the disc for DBZ for Kinect, due to the main selling point being that you could play as Super Saiyan Bardock in that game. And since Lani had to suffer through RB2, you're damn right that they're gonna use its footage from that game's disc. Also, the original's only on the Japanese Dragon Boxes, so that might be a bit hard to come by. Plus, the animation in the remake's a lot better. I bet Kaiser had an easier time editing this one than he would've the original. Episode of Bardock also never had a version from the 90s, so bringing that up for comparison isn't really a thing that makes sense.
omegalucas wrote:Oh man, I'm really gonna need captions for this one. I couldn't make out half of what Raichi Santa said.
But other than that it was a really nice special. I especially loved the Tarble bit and the "VEGETA YESSSS!" :lol:
The majority of Vegeta's dialogue sounded like when Lani uses his Vegeta voice to make fun of the character on their gaming channel & it was great.

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Scsigs wrote:
MegaBossMan wrote:I haven't really found a lot of enjoyment out of a lot of the recent TFS episodes, but I thought this one was pretty fun. Lot of fun humor I think involved, and honestly I think I prefer the vengeful Santa Claus approach rather than the actual vengeful Tuffle idea. All in all, a good episode.

Probably because the newer animation's easier to work with than the original & that they could probably access it easier, due to it being in Raging Blast 2's extras, like how Episode of Bardock was on the disc for DBZ for Kinect, due to the main selling point being that you could play as Super Saiyan Bardock in that game. And since Lani had to suffer through RB2, you're damn right that they're gonna use its footage from that game's disc. Also, the original's only on the Japanese Dragon Boxes, so that might be a bit hard to come by. Plus, the animation in the remake's a lot better. I bet Kaiser had an easier time editing this one than he would've the original. Episode of Bardock also never had a version from the 90s, so bringing that up for comparison isn't really a thing that makes sense.
I brought up Episode of Bardock as standing out in the way that it's clearly not a Dragon Ball product in the same vein of the original animated run. It stands out because it's clearly a newer product, and that's where I feel my issue lies; if a viewer decided to binge-watch all of TFS's work, and in the run of DBZ episodes they ran into Episode of Bardock, it naturally stands out because it looks nothing like any of the other Dragon Ball work present in their channel. Now, there are instances where that's unavoidable; what other option would you have for a series like Super or the newer Dragon Ball films? But, as of present, those newer products like Episode of Bardock just demonstrate a bit of unfortunate and unavoidable inconsistency in a whole line of work that's marked by older animation. That's why I'm questioning the usage of the newer footage; why use something that does stand out, when you have the option to use something more in line for what viewers are accustomed to? It's somewhat comparable to the use of CGI in those older Star Wars films: the CGI, depending on the person at least, has the ability to take the viewer out of their immersion into their viewing when everything else surrounding it doesn't mesh into it seamlessly. Now, the instance here isn't necessarily bad like what occurred in a film like Star Wars, and quite honestly I'm aware no one reasonably cares because the comedy is designed to be the focus. I just had a constant underlying thought watching the special that pestered throughout, especially since the option of the older animation WAS there. Still, as a whole, it frankly doesn't matter. I understand that the TFS staff clearly had an obvious reason for it, and that outweighs whatever issues I could feasibly have about style consistency.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:15 pm

Loved it. Though I thought Gohan was a good boy deemed by Santa, so why was he pummeled?
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:38 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Loved it. Though I thought Gohan was a good boy deemed by Santa, so why was he pummeled?
I thought of that too. :lol: I guess maybe because he started fighting against Santa's plan? Best guess I've got anyway.

Great special as I expected it would be, wasn't expecting the Santa spin put on it though. Was great seeing the old villains back again actually too, albeit briefly. Especially finally having Freeza and Cooler together in one thing. Got to say though, my favorite part of the video wasn't even one of the jokes - I loved the Tsuru tribute at the end. It hadn't occurred to me, but...this is the first Abridged material put out since her passing, so it fits, and fits all the better given that Bulma has a moment of helping out and kind of saving the day (partially) in this one. It was just also an especially sweet thing to see pop up on Christmas too.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:18 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Loved it. Though I thought Gohan was a good boy deemed by Santa, so why was he pummeled?
I thought of that too. :lol: I guess maybe because he started fighting against Santa's plan? Best guess I've got anyway.

Great special as I expected it would be, wasn't expecting the Santa spin put on it though. Was great seeing the old villains back again actually too, albeit briefly. Especially finally having Freeza and Cooler together in one thing. Got to say though, my favorite part of the video wasn't even one of the jokes - I loved the Tsuru tribute at the end. It hadn't occurred to me, but...this is the first Abridged material put out since her passing, so it fits, and fits all the better given that Bulma has a moment of helping out and kind of saving the day (partially) in this one. It was just also an especially sweet thing to see pop up on Christmas too.
Should have just edited out the parts where he got hit, and then get coaxed into fighting maybe. Would be funny if he just stood on the sides for a while because he didn't have to fight.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:07 pm

That special is amazing. I prefer this kind of off-the-wall humour compared to the main parody, and this had a lot of great lines. Raichi/Hatchiyack as Santa is so perfect.

Too many good lines for me to point out my favourite, though I really liked the boxing day gag.

Anyway, on that GT vs Super discussion - GT sucks and is still better than Super. See, everyone can be happy!
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:38 pm

That was a enjoyable special! Though I thought they would use the old footage to the whole thing, since Kaiser said:

[quote=""Kaiser Neko""]
Noah wrote:Too bad that you guys are not going to use the old footage for this one, really don't like that 2010's remake, oh well.
What makes you think we're not? ;D[/quote]

I didn't expect DBZA to pull a joke on main/minor characters like YGOTAS tends to do :lol:

Also was Tullece voiced by another guy? I also didn't expect Raichi to be Santa :clap:

But why he was beating Gohan? Wasn't he the only good boy on the group? :P
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:03 pm

Didn't Santa show up (outline of him) to cheer on Goku against Tullece... Cheering on an enemy to defeat another enemy? Just put Goku on the naughty list this year?

(They also have Santa say he always got shot at when going to planet Vegeta in Christmas Tree of Might)

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:13 pm

Oh DBZA, so good to have you back!

Loved this special, LittleKuriboh's Freeza is such a treat, especially now we finally get him interacting with his brother. And Gohan's reaction his Christmas present was precious.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:47 pm

TBH it felt kind of short...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:21 pm

That was a hoot. I loved the meta jokes ("space-time continuum" and the Super advert), and especially appreciated the little instrumental piano version of "The Night Santa Went Crazy" during the credits.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!