DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:52 am

I've just realize the Kame Hame Ha has been used three or so times in the real series and yet not once here. :shock:

Anyhow, loved that box scene.

Will LK's role be a recurring one?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:17 am

JulieYBM wrote:I've just realize the Kame Hame Ha has been used three or so times in the real series and yet not once here. :shock:
Unfortunately, we haven't found a place to use it yet. We actually have a deleted scene of the first time coming.
JulieYBM wrote:Will LK's role be a recurring one?
Yep!
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:57 am

"CLOTHES BEAM!!!"

I love abridged Piccolo.

All the video game references and German Goz & Mez had me in stitches too.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:59 am

The ending with the bit about the moon was fucking hilarious, otherwise it doesn't touch the second episode, which is definitely the crowning achievement of the series thus far.

I still think the whole "Krillin Owned" thing is embarassingly stupid, I was hoping I could make 2008 the first year I could traverse the internet without seeing the word "owned" in such a context but I guess I'm a dreamer.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:25 am

KaiserNeko wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Will LK's role be a recurring one?
Yep!
Ratings, ratings, ratings!

I still think Princess Snake and her henchwomen sounded just like LK, though...hmmm....
She/Her
bisexual milf

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:26 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:58 pm

Honestly, I can understand why the counter is sticking around.

1) We all know Kuririn has gotten bitch slapped, punted around and just plain whooped all over the place. Bringing this up in a humorous light isn't necessarily a bad thing. After all, this IS supposed to be making fun of things that occur in the series.

2) If they dropped the counter, it would seem really inconsistent and pointless to have even brought it up in the first place.

Call me easily amused, but I really found this episode to be funny as hell. I actually did enjoy Goz and Mez scene, Piccolo continues to have some of the best lines in the show, Popo still scares the crap out of me, and the Metal Gear Solid and Donkey Kong references were priceless.

Btw Kaiser, the recap portion (with LK's joke aside) where we hear the narrator and Goku explaining every bit of detail that's going on, was that a jab at the official dub's usual handling of the recaps? Or am I looking too much into it? :p

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:32 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Well... I was all set to almost give up on this newest episode being anything all that great; the "Goz" & "Mez" Pump you Up! bit just wasn't doing it for me. The Popo stuff was alright… but then… then… Princess Snake came up on a mother fucking MGS Codec and started talking in full on David Hayter-mode.

Fucking. Win. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And it just got better from there, from Donkey Kong Gohan, to Pac-Man Goku, the MGS Cardboard Box, and Abridged Piccolo continuing to be the single funniest goddamn thing about this whole enterprise. Even subtle shit like the de-powering sound effect from Super Mario Bros. when Gohan reverts back to normal. All capped off with that awesome bit about the moon and Nappa’s “Are we there yet?”

The first half of episode 4 was horribly lame, but the second half beyond made up for it. I haven’t had a laugh that good at any anime fan parody of any kind since… well, ever.

It’s weird… every time DBZ Abridged looks like it’s just gonna deteriorate into another dumb, unfunny fan parody making fun of the same stupid, inane shit everyone else has for god knows how long (does the world really need MORE “lolz! Kirllin iz the suxors!” jokes?)… something utterly fucking brilliant comes up and sucks me back in again.

It’s uneven as hell… but the good parts definitely outweigh the bad by miles. Can’t wait till we get to the big throwdown with the Saibaimen, Nappa, and Vegeta. :D
I'll agree that the first part of the episode was a little slow and not as packed as the second half, but we wanted to do SOMETHING with Goz and Mez and making a reference to the old SNL Hanz and Franz skit was our favorite choice. Not everyone was going to like it, we knew, but we did enjoy giving them something fun to work with.

We do hope that people will enjoy our (ab)use of Krillin. We don't hate the character, nor do we entirely intend to provocate the use of "Owning" anymore than we already have, but we NEEDED a whipping boy and Krillin' was really the only one we could use consistently.

It's not a matter of hating on the character, it's a matter of playing up the EXTREMES of the character. In this case, it's the fact that he never, ever gets a break until much later on in the series. Where he scores a hot wife, a kid, and finally grows his hair out. Doesn't get any taller, though... No taller...

And yes, the Saiyan landing is going to be a lot of fun for all of us.
Tsukento wrote:Btw Kaiser, the recap portion (with LK's joke aside) where we hear the narrator and Goku explaining every bit of detail that's going on, was that a jab at the official dub's usual handling of the recaps? Or am I looking too much into it? :p
Just a little. xD He'll be there from time to time, but he's really there for transitional purposes.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:54 pm

Ah, I see. XD

I figured it seemed similar to FUNi's way of just retelling what happened in every scene with every bit of detail mentioned as much as possible despite the original presenting a more "look and see what happened last week" approach to the recaps.

Oh yeah, also gotta say I enjoyed Goku's yell trailing off right as the intro started and picking right back up after the intro finished.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:05 pm

KaiserNeko wrote: I'll agree that the first part of the episode was a little slow and not as packed as the second half, but we wanted to do SOMETHING with Goz and Mez and making a reference to the old SNL Hanz and Franz skit was our favorite choice. Not everyone was going to like it, we knew, but we did enjoy giving them something fun to work with.
It didn't even register with me that that was what you were referencing, I thought it was more of an Arnold Schwarzenegger thing, but now that I know this it makes it that much more hilarious.

"And now its time............ TO POMP YOU OP!" :lol:
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:35 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:50 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Oh don’t misunderstand me! All in all it was a great episode. I’m not trying to be extra harsh or anything… I’m just always blunt and up front about what I think about pretty much everything. It’s one of my less charming personality traits. :P
Oh, don't worry, I just like using moments like these to help flesh out some of the designing process is all. You made it obvious you enjoy our work, I just wanted to touch on some things you'd incidentally brought up.

I'm somebody who doesn't mind talking about his work. Though, no spoilers. We already have a blood pact in place for anyone who leaks spoilers. There are spears involved.

LSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by LSSJ4 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:06 pm

Bravo TFS, you guys did it again. This became my favorite episode( Ep.2 now goes to second place).

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:12 pm

I loved this ep, tho to be honest my favorite is still the first (I don't know why, it just is).

I feel like the last two eps were a little less interesting than the first two, but I blame that on source material. We're in filler-central now, and this part of the series was just a padded out holdover until the Saiya-jin conflict.

I liked the Goz and Mez thing at first, but the scene seemed to drag on a little bit too much. Everything else I thought was pretty cool. Interesting shift on Popo from "creepy" to "badass."

I also find the "owned" count to be appropriate, because the series does it too. Just like how Lani has Kuwabara being the brunt of many jokes in YYHA, or LK using Joey's underdog-ness and Bakura's constant obscurity in YGO!A.

@Kunzait- I don't see their usage like the jokes you were referencing. It seems more like the same thing Toei did with the character.

Movie 1- Shows up to help, gets pissed on.
Movie 2- Gets chased around by a geezer with a machine gun arm, later joins in for the team attack and is the only one to get bitch-slapped.
Movie 6- Has the comedic moments around breaking Coola's robots (as opposed to Gohan and Piccolo).
Movie 7- head burned, has to be doused with snow.
Movie 9- Karaoke!
Movie 11- Not so much comedic, but he did get OHKO'd, and came back to almost eat a double Kamehameha from the kids.

Edit: Inexcusable misspelling of "two" as "too."
Last edited by Onikage725 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Masako-kun
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masako-kun » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:16 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I've just realize the Kame Hame Ha has been used three or so times in the real series and yet not once here. :shock:
You have no idea how much I'm longing for a chance to do it. v_v

Being Goku is fantastic cos I get to do the Kamehameha. Not to mention all the foley...the Kamehameha would make it PERFECT.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:18 pm

Onikage725 wrote:I feel like the last too eps were a little less interesting than the first too, but I blame that on source material. We're in filler-central now, and this part of the series was just a padded out holdover until the Saiya-jin conflict.
This is what I've been trying to express in my other posts, but the way you put it just sounded way better than the way I did :lol:
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:39 pm

Masako-kun wrote:
You have no idea how much I'm longing for a chance to do it. v_v

Being Goku is fantastic cos I get to do the Kamehameha. Not to mention all the foley...the Kamehameha would make it PERFECT.
The beam struggle is a must!

You could always do a video just a few simple 'practice' recordings for your YT page.

Dang it, I wanna hear you say Kaiô-Ken!
She/Her
bisexual milf

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:20 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:
Onikage725 wrote:I feel like the last too eps were a little less interesting than the first too, but I blame that on source material. We're in filler-central now, and this part of the series was just a padded out holdover until the Saiya-jin conflict.
This is what I've been trying to express in my other posts, but the way you put it just sounded way better than the way I did :lol:
Heh, well I got where you were coming from and I agree. It isn't there fault. This is the part of the series that passed by very quickly in the manga, but in the anime we get Gohan on the high seas and hanging out with Robo from Chrono Trigger and befriending (and/or harassing) dinosaurs and what-not.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:24 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:57 pm

Do you go searching for these things, then? Because honestly I've never seen this sort of thing.
She/Her
bisexual milf