DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:21 pm

Number 6:

Goku vs Kid Boo

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:17 pm

I've been surprised throughout this list, and this one especially so.

I would submit that the reason that Goku vs. Kid Buu isn't a widely-shared favorite, at least for some people, is that the technical skill behind it doesn't compensate for how poor a climax it is for the Buu saga as a story. They mention in the video that they consider the return to a lone martial artist facing an opponent as welcome after all the group fights and fusions (though the Buu saga isn't exactly lacking in mono e mono battles), but IMO, it's divorced from what the saga had been building to. Goku himself even argues against the idea that he should be the one to stop Buu earlier in the story, and all the development and expectation was that it would be other characters to have that honor until very late in the story. At the end of the day, I can't say I care all that much how nicely animated and choreographed Goku's fight with Kid Buu is; it doesn't offset the frustration I feel that this shouldn't be Goku's fight to begin with.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:14 am

zDBZ wrote:I've been surprised throughout this list, and this one especially so.

I would submit that the reason that Goku vs. Kid Buu isn't a widely-shared favorite, at least for some people, is that the technical skill behind it doesn't compensate for how poor a climax it is for the Buu saga as a story. They mention in the video that they consider the return to a lone martial artist facing an opponent as welcome after all the group fights and fusions (though the Buu saga isn't exactly lacking in mono e mono battles), but IMO, it's divorced from what the saga had been building to. Goku himself even argues against the idea that he should be the one to stop Buu earlier in the story, and all the development and expectation was that it would be other characters to have that honor until very late in the story. At the end of the day, I can't say I care all that much how nicely animated and choreographed Goku's fight with Kid Buu is; it doesn't offset the frustration I feel that this shouldn't be Goku's fight to begin with.
That's everybody's frustration with the Buu arc. I'm surprised not only is this fight on the list but ranked so high since TFS have been big on the whole "screw Goku, the next generation should have taken over in Buu" thing. But you know, upon rewatching the arc recently, I've come to realise just how bad it gets in the middle when they're mucking around with fusion, and Ultimate Gohan and Super Buu. All that stuff is just a mess, I can appreciate the simplicity and clearer stakes once Goku and Vegeta take over again. Everything is more cohesive, and the fight against Kid Buu beats out anything else in the arc by a long shot.

What's the top 5 going to be? Goku vs Piccolo is a given, presumably Goku vs Vegeta as well unless already having the Majin fight precludes it (which would be a mistake). Goku vs Freeza and Gohan vs Cell are iconic, but the fights themselves aren't that great. There's got to be a Super entry on there since Kirran piked out, most likely Goku, Freeza and 17 vs Jiren, but they also hinted there'd be another movie? Can't think of any movie fight that makes the top 5 best fights in Dragon Ball apart from maybe Goku vs Beerus. That's six I listed so at least one will miss out. Be interested to see the final list.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:10 pm

I'm guessing the next five will be, in no particular order:

Goku versus Piccolo

Goku versus Vegeta

Goku versus Freeza

Goku versus Beerus

Gohan versus Cell

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:10 pm

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:47 pm

I am so glad they went with the movie version and not the TV version. An admittedly strong ending did not make up for what a dragged out mess the TV version of that fight was... and they didn't even include Goku's frustration at how he was fighting with borrowed strength, apart from as a quick side-comment after the battle was over! But then that basically just sums up the Super Beerus arc in general; Dragging out scenes from the movie while adding nothing and actually removing what substance was already there... After all this time I still stand by it being the worst arc in Super. Shiny Freeza might have had some of the worst animation ever, but at least they weren't actively removing story from it.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:31 pm

I feel like Goku vs. Cell would warrant a mention

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:02 pm

Kataphrut wrote:
zDBZ wrote:I've been surprised throughout this list, and this one especially so.

That's everybody's frustration with the Buu arc. I'm surprised not only is this fight on the list but ranked so high since TFS have been big on the whole "screw Goku, the next generation should have taken over in Buu" thing. But you know, upon rewatching the arc recently, I've come to realise just how bad it gets in the middle when they're mucking around with fusion, and Ultimate Gohan and Super Buu. All that stuff is just a mess, I can appreciate the simplicity and clearer stakes once Goku and Vegeta take over again. Everything is more cohesive, and the fight against Kid Buu beats out anything else in the arc by a long shot.
YMMV, but I don't find the middle of the Buu saga any more muddled than the middle of the Cell saga, or when Goku, Gohan, and the Earthlings were all engaged in separate training leading up to the fight with the saiyans. Any final payoff that made use of the different ideas in play during the story's middle, be it fusion, Ultimate Gohan, or both in tandem, would have yielded an exciting fight and been more organic to the plot up to that point IMO.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:57 pm

jcogginsa wrote:I feel like Goku vs. Cell would warrant a mention
I think it's leagues better than Gohan versus Cell, but I think they'll ultimately go with the Gohan fight over Goku due to SSJ2, Goku's sacrifice, and the Father-Son Kamehameha.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:39 am

OhHiRenan wrote:
I think it's leagues better than Gohan versus Cell, but I think they'll ultimately go with the Gohan fight over Goku due to SSJ2, Goku's sacrifice, and the Father-Son Kamehameha.

I think a fight where about 50% of it consists of a motionless beam struggle is pushing it to be considered one of the best.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:26 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
OhHiRenan wrote:

I think a fight where about 50% of it consists of a motionless beam struggle is pushing it to be considered one of the best.
That was one chapter/episode. Hardly "50% of the fight".

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:06 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:
Really, Goku vs Cell was the only fight in the Cell games I liked. Gohan vs Cell was a pretty underwhelming battle from both a visual perspective and narrative
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:53 pm

Kanassa wrote:
OhHiRenan wrote:
Really, Goku vs Cell was the only fight in the Cell games I liked. Gohan vs Cell was a pretty underwhelming battle from both a visual perspective and narrative
I don’t disagree. I think Goku versus Cell is easily the better fight by a country mile, but I definitely see them picking Gohan versus Cell regardless.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:14 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
OhHiRenan wrote: I think it's leagues better than Gohan versus Cell, but I think they'll ultimately go with the Gohan fight over Goku due to SSJ2, Goku's sacrifice, and the Father-Son Kamehameha.
I don’t disagree. I think Goku versus Cell is easily the better fight by a country mile, but I definitely see them picking Gohan versus Cell regardless.
Welp, it's Goku vs Cell

Also, they mention that Hit VS Goku ROund 2 ain't making the list despite how Lani wanted it to

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:29 pm

Number 4:

Goku vs Cell

EDIT: Agh! Kanassa beat me to it! :P

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:54 pm

Kanassa wrote:
OhHiRenan wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Really, Goku vs Cell was the only fight in the Cell games I liked. Gohan vs Cell was a pretty underwhelming battle from both a visual perspective and narrative
Welp, it's Goku vs Cell

Also, they mention that Hit VS Goku ROund 2 ain't making the list despite how Lani wanted it to
Daaaamn, I’m surprised but pleased haha

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:12 pm

Get dunked on, expectations!
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:19 am

KaiserNeko wrote:Get dunked on, expectations!
Do you dunk expectations like you dunk Gokus?

Kanassa wrote:

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:38 am

Kanassa wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:Get dunked on, expectations!
Do you dunk expectations like you dunk Gokus?
I am a 16 player, so yes.

Yes I fuggin' do.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:22 pm

Kanassa wrote: