DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:18 pm

-DBZA Episode 59-

Funnier episode than the last one.
This one has the biggest plothole of the entire franchise.

Cell can only regenerate because of the core in his head and Goku destroyed his upper part with his kamehameha. He's not like Majin Buu.

No head = No core = No regeneration = Cell is dead = Goku won

Goku: How did you-
Cell: You weren't here for this, but Piccolo's cells.
Piccolo: Okay, I am...90% sure I can't do that.

Yes, you can't Piccolo. Yes, you can't. :lol: :lol:

Goku: Oh Gohan, you're just being insincere.
Piccolo: Insecure, and no he's not, he's 11 years old!

Yup, he's not a teen. Missed opportunity to make fun of the "Teen Gohan" term in video games for Cell arc Gohan.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:30 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:-DBZA Episode 59-

Cell can only regenerate because of the core in his head and Goku destroyed his upper part with his kamehameha. He's not like Majin Buu.

Yup, he's not a teen. Missed opportunity to make fun of the "Teen Gohan" term in video games for Cell arc Gohan.
They already covered "Teen" Gohan in episode 55. And yeah, Cell regrowing his head is BS.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:32 pm

dragonballhero wrote:
Scsigs wrote:If anyone else has watched the TFS Gaming videos when they play certain parts of the story that they haven't covered yet in DBZ games, it's pretty obvious what they might to for scripting their episodes. Mainly the ones from last DBcember.
It's still funny to see acted out, though.
How do you mean exactly? You mean up to the Majin Buu arc or into Super?
Pretty sure they've done both, but I definitely meant at least for Majin Buu.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:49 pm

Here's the thing. Cell getting blown apart IS a plothole, but it's a plothole in the original anime, & manga I'm assuming, too. It's a Toriyama original that they couldn't slip by, especially if they reused that information, which they did because it's a cool shot. Don't blame TFS, blame Toriyama. If anything, they only brought more attention to the, already there, plothole because they pointed it out with Piccolo & Goku through trying to lampshade it.

As for Gohan, he's NOT EVEN 11! He's actually 9! He started off the series at 4, then had a year of training with Piccolo, then the 3 years training for the androids, then another year in the Time Chamber. Physically & mentally, he's 9 years old, but started to mature quicker than Goku did.
In all complete honesty, the whole thing about 9-year-old Gohan being called "Teen Gohan" in the games can be handwaved as him, physically, staying the same until he reached 14 or 15, where he started to mature more so he looks the way he does in the Buu arc. That's why they call them "growth spurts," for people that mature a lot in so little time. Hence "Teen Gohan"...even though "Adult Gohan" is actually his teenage self, but even that can be handwaved, since Saiyans stay, physically, the same until they're really old, in which case they age more.
It's a bit of a plothole, but only in that the number's off by 2 years. Even then, if you rewatch the Trunks bits of their let's play of DBZ: Sagas, Grant references that by saying "I've been a teen since I was 11 years old, Trunks," obviously meaning Gohan, meaning that no one on the writing staff for DBZA knew that that was incorrect to leave in.
It's a fact that was brought up by someone in the "Kai: The Final Chapters" English dub forum, since the Narrator says he's 16 at the start of it, which takes place 7 years after the Cell Games.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:29 pm

Scsigs wrote:
dragonballhero wrote:
Scsigs wrote:If anyone else has watched the TFS Gaming videos when they play certain parts of the story that they haven't covered yet in DBZ games, it's pretty obvious what they might to for scripting their episodes. Mainly the ones from last DBcember.
It's still funny to see acted out, though.
How do you mean exactly? You mean up to the Majin Buu arc or into Super?
Pretty sure they've done both, but I definitely meant at least for Majin Buu.
Could I get some examples?

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:43 pm

Scsigs wrote:As for Gohan, he's NOT EVEN 11! He's actually 9! He started off the series at 4, then had a year of training with Piccolo, then the 3 years training for the androids, then another year in the Time Chamber.
No. Started the series at 4, had a year of training with Piccolo (so 5), then went to Namek, came back to Earth, waited 9 months to use the Namekian Dragon Balls twice, waited another year for Goku to return and Trunks to show up (and is therefore 6/7), then 3 years training for the Androids (9/10), and the year in the Room of Spirit and Time (10/11). He can be 10 or 11, but definitely not 9.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:06 pm

Since it hasn't been posted. Kaiser touched on the effects of TFS and the Goku is a bad dad thing on twitter.
https://twitter.com/KaiserNeko/status/8 ... 2940315648
Anyway, I think the recent string of dislike for DBZA is maybe people are just having their humor evolve. It has been nearly a decade now, and what you found funny then might not be as funny now. I've found myself enjoying YGOTAS more lately then DBZA, I don't think that's any show of the writing quality (Thou YGO S4 has a lot more jokes to be made then this part of DBZ), just that my sense of humor right now is preferable to YGOTAS.

I for one prefer TFS's modern writing, less focus on memes and catchphrases, focusing on what makes the characters endeering, YGOTAS did the same a few years back and it brought some fresh air to the show. I can tell the TFS crew wanted to do the same and make their show focus more on the cast as opposed to overused jokes.

As for the episode, Grant stole the show again. "Yeah F&*K Goku".
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:09 pm

Scsigs wrote:Here's the thing. Cell getting blown apart IS a plothole, but it's a plothole in the original anime, & manga I'm assuming, too. It's a Toriyama original that they couldn't slip by, especially if they reused that information, which they did because it's a cool shot. Don't blame TFS, blame Toriyama. If anything, they only brought more attention to the, already there, plothole because they pointed it out with Piccolo & Goku through trying to lampshade it.

As for Gohan, he's NOT EVEN 11! He's actually 9! He started off the series at 4, then had a year of training with Piccolo, then the 3 years training for the androids, then another year in the Time Chamber. Physically & mentally, he's 9 years old, but started to mature quicker than Goku did.
In all complete honesty, the whole thing about 9-year-old Gohan being called "Teen Gohan" in the games can be handwaved as him, physically, staying the same until he reached 14 or 15, where he started to mature more so he looks the way he does in the Buu arc. That's why they call them "growth spurts," for people that mature a lot in so little time. Hence "Teen Gohan"...even though "Adult Gohan" is actually his teenage self, but even that can be handwaved, since Saiyans stay, physically, the same until they're really old, in which case they age more.
It's a bit of a plothole, but only in that the number's off by 2 years. Even then, if you rewatch the Trunks bits of their let's play of DBZ: Sagas, Grant references that by saying "I've been a teen since I was 11 years old, Trunks," obviously meaning Gohan, meaning that no one on the writing staff for DBZA knew that that was incorrect to leave in.
It's a fact that was brought up by someone in the "Kai: The Final Chapters" English dub forum, since the Narrator says he's 16 at the start of it, which takes place 7 years after the Cell Games.
You missed the almost two years between Freeza's defeat and Goku's return from Yardrat. Depending on when his birthday fell, he'd be physically eleven and legally ten, or physically ten and legally nine. The Dragon Ball Z anime assumes he'd be 10/11 while the manga seems to go with 9/10 option, since they refer to him as "sixteen year-old son Gohan" at the start of the Majin Boo arc, seven years later. The anime also keeps in this line, despite deciding that he's ten(or eleven), confusing the issue.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:55 pm

DanielSSJ wrote:You missed the almost two years between Freeza's defeat and Goku's return from Yardrat. Depending on when his birthday fell, he'd be physically eleven and legally ten, or physically ten and legally nine. The Dragon Ball Z anime assumes he'd be 10/11 while the manga seems to go with 9/10 option, since they refer to him as "sixteen year-old son Gohan" at the start of the Majin Boo arc, seven years later. The anime also keeps in this line, despite deciding that he's ten(or eleven), confusing the issue.
Right. Forgot about that. So, physically, he's a year older than he's said to be on Earth, seeing as the year in the Time Chamber aged him a year. He's still counted as 9, though, so yeah.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:30 am

That thing on twitter opened a whole can of worms. On the one hand, there were people who don't like TFS's reliance of common fandom jokes inserted into their canon which, because of its popularity, could be responsible for spreading misconceptions amongst the fanbase. And on the other hand, there were people who didn't like how S3 of DBZA is much more grounded in the original series, making it seem a bit more like a comedic retelling than a parody.

And while they're all fair criticisms, it's practically impossible for TFS to please both of those crowds at once. They want completely different things. And I personally don't think a parody is obligated to represent itself in a specific way or even true to the spirit of the original, even if I think TFS actually succeeds in that.

It's like hating DBZA has now become the 'cool' thing to do.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:09 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:That thing on twitter opened a whole can of worms. On the one hand, there were people who don't like TFS's reliance of common fandom jokes inserted into their canon which, because of its popularity, could be responsible for spreading misconceptions amongst the fanbase. And on the other hand, there were people who didn't like how S3 of DBZA is much more grounded in the original series, making it seem a bit more like a comedic retelling than a parody.

And while they're all fair criticisms, it's practically impossible for TFS to please both of those crowds at once. They want completely different things. And I personally don't think a parody is obligated to represent itself in a specific way or even true to the spirit of the original, even if I think TFS actually succeeds in that.

Ever look on the DBZ Kai TV Tropes pages' Trivia section? Before I added the subline about it not being a bad thing bad, some asshole put that their version of the Cell Games parody recap in TFC was, obviously, "thrown in" (as in improvised) & said "and it clearly shows" showing that that person completely missed the point of it entirely of them doing it & implied that it was a bad thing. Then there's the Kai dub forums, where it's been a very divided subject amongst Kai dub fans for some reason, when it should've been a moment of joy for all in the fandom.
The main point of contention is seemingly that it was because of their constant throwing in of memes & references to not only the old dub, but their own show as well in the whole thing. I really don't know what anyone over there expected from TFS voicing that scene, when the first preview itself had Lani saying "his coolness is over 9000!" in his Vegeta voice during the damn thing. Guess I haven't been jaded by reference humor & have a more nuanced opinion of it in that I try to dissect the reasoning & the context behind the reference rather than the fact that it IS a reference.
For instance, Family Guy brings up references for the sake of having reference humor in their episodes, at least in the more recent seasons, to the point where they copy sequences verbatim from where they pull them in long, boring, sequences of anti-humor. In comparison, Rick & Morty makes a TON of references to Pop Culture, yet a lot of them are hilarious because of the pacing & situations they appear in.
Their version of the scene was something I found hilarious because it's FUNi poking fun at themselves, the fandom, etc, & they got the perfect choices to script & dub the scene. I really have no idea why people hate their version other than, "I hate reference humor because it's lazy as shit (regardless of context) & these guys should do better (despite it being their bread & butter & what abridged series shows are MEANT to do)." It's exactly what you'd expect. Nothing more, nothing less.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:55 am

Scsigs wrote:
MozillaVulpix wrote:That thing on twitter opened a whole can of worms. On the one hand, there were people who don't like TFS's reliance of common fandom jokes inserted into their canon which, because of its popularity, could be responsible for spreading misconceptions amongst the fanbase. And on the other hand, there were people who didn't like how S3 of DBZA is much more grounded in the original series, making it seem a bit more like a comedic retelling than a parody.

Ever look on the DBZ Kai TV Tropes pages' Trivia section? Before I added the subline about it not being a bad thing bad, some asshole put that their version of the Cell Games parody recap in TFC was, obviously, "thrown in" (as in improvised) & said "and it clearly shows" showing that that person completely missed the point of it entirely of them doing it & implied that it was a bad thing. Then there's the Kai dub forums, where it's been a very divided subject amongst Kai dub fans for some reason, when it should've been a moment of joy for all in the fandom.
The main point of contention is seemingly that it was because of their constant throwing in of memes & references to not only the old dub, but their own show as well in the whole thing. I really don't know what anyone over there expected from TFS voicing that scene, when the first preview itself had Lani saying "his coolness is over 9000!" in his Vegeta voice during the damn thing. Guess I haven't been jaded by reference humor & have a more nuanced opinion of it in that I try to dissect the reasoning & the context behind the reference rather than the fact that it IS a reference.
For instance, Family Guy brings up references for the sake of having reference humor in their episodes, at least in the more recent seasons, to the point where they copy sequences verbatim from where they pull them in long, boring, sequences of anti-humor. In comparison, Rick & Morty makes a TON of references to Pop Culture, yet a lot of them are hilarious because of the pacing & situations they appear in.
Their version of the scene was something I found hilarious because it's FUNi poking fun at themselves, the fandom, etc, & they got the perfect choices to script & dub the scene. I really have no idea why people hate their version other than, "I hate reference humor because it's lazy as shit (regardless of context) & these guys should do better (despite it being their bread & butter & what abridged series shows are MEANT to do)." It's exactly what you'd expect. Nothing more, nothing less.
I wasn't referring to their scene in Kai (honestly, I kind of forgot all about that). This critique is directed at the DBZA episodes themselves.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

testing223
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by testing223 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:11 am

What did Satan say to Goku when called up?

Can't wait for the Cell saga to end so we can get some original DB episodes abridged to bring the series full circle for new viewers.

Also this ep was great, also the head=core debate has gone on for 10 years and people need to accept it was either a Toriyama screwup or the "core" was actually in the body as a whole after all. I mean, the core=head plothole happens a SECOND time after the kamikaze attack, so at that point it's kind of obvious the head thing isn't a factor anymore for tension and drama.
I play baseball and work in LA.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:17 am

Well, it sounds like we as a fandom have become fucking pricks. Took 9 years, not bad, not bad at all.

I hope all this flows off a duck's back, because as I see it until N-words start being dropped, there is no reason to apologize for anything. Any callback, any joke, any fucking interpretation. Yeah, Goku was written as a terrible father. Freeza Saga Abridged really pushed that. Own up to it, and if anyone bitches about it, respectfully tell them in the nicest way possible to shut the fuck up and to use their typing fingers for something else.
testing223 wrote:What did Satan say to Goku when called up?
Diarrhea.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:58 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote:I wasn't referring to their scene in Kai (honestly, I kind of forgot all about that). This critique is directed at the DBZA episodes themselves.
Yeah, but that was my personal feelings towards it & the most recent thing I could think of.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:29 pm

Scsigs wrote:

Here's the thing. Cell getting blown apart IS a plothole, but it's a plothole in the original anime, & manga I'm assuming, too. It's a Toriyama original that they couldn't slip by, especially if they reused that information, which they did because it's a cool shot. Don't blame TFS, blame Toriyama. If anything, they only brought more attention to the, already there, plothole because they pointed it out with Piccolo & Goku through trying to lampshade it.
I thought it was obvious, but yeah I was blaming Toriyama and thus why I said "The biggest plothole of the franchise."
It wouldn't make sense I blame TFS for that, but oh well it also doesn't make sense I have to explicitly clarify this and here I am.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

testing223
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by testing223 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:30 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
Diarrhea.
Thanks for that.
I play baseball and work in LA.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:54 pm

testing223 wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:
Diarrhea.
Thanks for that.

On youtube, thankfully, now you can just turn on the subtitles for their latest videos. They are accurate.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:45 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Scsigs wrote:

I thought it was obvious, but yeah I was blaming Toriyama and thus why I said "The biggest plothole of the franchise."
It wouldn't make sense I blame TFS for that, but oh well it also doesn't make sense I have to explicitly clarify this and here I am.
Didn't see that sentence.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Piccolo was a bad guy who in this continuity wanted to use Gohan to conquer the world, I think he'd be actually hypocritical if he was in his heroic mode and THEN pulled something like what Goku's doing now.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):