DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:46 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
Yeah. I did see what you did there. Now go back to your hipster mobile. Bye. :wave:
*Drives to Super Kami Guru cave*

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:49 pm

I also see no problem with parodies helping people to get back into shows they enjoy. I always had plans to rewatch DB/Z/GT, movies and specials back in 2009, but I really got into in 2012 when I was following DBZA Season 2 finale.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:01 pm

MR.Mark wrote:Sorry if it makes me sound elitist, we're all passionate fans in our own ways and I guess this is my passionate response.

I just don't think DBZA should be enjoyed to a point where it even comes close to being seen as a version of the series. I obviously can't stop some people liking it that much though, carry on.

*to the hipster mobile*

Also note that I said the idea rubs me the wrong way, no need to say bite me, you pretentious prick. (see what I did there?)
Dbzfan94 wrote:I don't think you're using the word hipster right in this case. Either way I've seen more TFS fans that refuse to watch Z and stick to Abridged compared to those who watched the actual series because of Abridged, but I see your point.
All he had said that DBZA just rekindled his interest into the franchise, not that it superseded the source in his mind.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:04 pm

DanielSSJ wrote: All he had said that DBZA just rekindled his interest into the franchise, not that it superseded the source in his mind.
I know, I was just making the point that, in my experience, that's what tends to happen.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:25 pm

I don't think there's necessarily a problem with preferring DBZA over the original series. It has two major advantages in that it's not hampered by filler and the writers know the full story ahead of time so they have more freedom to plan things out. So long as you give the original a fair go and respect the fact that it came first and DBZA is ultimately a parody of that, it's no huge issue to like the latter more.

I only think it's really a problem when the original work gets diminished, or people start crediting TFS with inspiring creative decisions in the actual show. Like, whenever there's a joke in a Dragon Ball thing these days, you get people making comparisons to DBZA as if that show invented comedy in Dragon Ball. There was that clip of Freeza talking about Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan in the English dub that blew up on Twitter because of that. Many who saw that seemed to assume from either the delivery or the tone of the joke that it had to have been inspired by the parody. "Oh, they're doing jokes now? Must be because of TFS." Leaving aside that a) most of those jokes are adapted straight from the original Japanese version and b) Funimation's writers and actors are perfectly capable of translating comedy without peaking over TFS's shoulder, as the Resurrection F movie dub should attest. Maybe there's a bit more meta-humour in the new stuff that could look like it's taking inspiration from a parody, but that's more likely a product of how old the franchise is now. They can look back and laugh at a few of the old tropes.

The Popo eyes in that one Super episode are a different story though. No way was that a coincidence...

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:56 am

MR.Mark wrote:Sorry if it makes me sound elitist, we're all passionate fans in our own ways and I guess this is my passionate response.

I just don't think DBZA should be enjoyed to a point where it even comes close to being seen as a version of the series. I obviously can't stop some people liking it that much though, carry on.

*to the hipster mobile*

Also note that I said the idea rubs me the wrong way, no need to say bite me, you pretentious prick. (see what I did there?)
You REALLY have no idea what a hipster is, considering what I think you're trying to say here.
Here's the thing...
DanielSSJ wrote:All he had said that DBZA just rekindled his interest into the franchise, not that it superseded the source in his mind.
THIS is what I was talking about. Abridged hasn't superseded the original Z as the definitive version of the series for me. I see it as it's always been intended, a fan-based parody; a reboot of the series for fans by fans if you will. I unabashedly love the Abridged series for taking a hard stab at both the original storytelling & other things in the franchise that never feels patronizing to DBZ fans because the people who make the show love & respect the franchise, unlike some OTHER parody shows (*cough*TeenTitansGo*cough*). The original's great entertainment. The parody's good for making fun of the stupider parts of that entertainment. It helped revitalize my interest in the franchise after being away from it for a while & then I watched Kai & got back into it & also became the dub analyzer I am today as well. So, yeah.
Also, I said "bite me" because I don't care if anyone hates Abridged, or doesn't believe that it can help someone get into the original source material, that's horseshit just said to discredit TFS anyways. By the way I'm not being elitist. I think someone accused me of that somewhere. If I were being an elitist, you'd know it, trust me.
Kataphrut wrote:The Popo eyes in that one Super episode are a different story though. No way was that a coincidence...
6th rule of Popo's training, man. Don't break his stuff. Yeah, you can't convince me that that wasn't inspired by them, it's just TOO coincidental.
Kataphrut wrote:I only think it's really a problem when the original work gets diminished, or people start crediting TFS with inspiring creative decisions in the actual show. Like, whenever there's a joke in a Dragon Ball thing these days, you get people making comparisons to DBZA as if that show invented comedy in Dragon Ball. There was that clip of Freeza talking about Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan in the English dub that blew up on Twitter because of that. Many who saw that seemed to assume from either the delivery or the tone of the joke that it had to have been inspired by the parody. "Oh, they're doing jokes now? Must be because of TFS." Leaving aside that a) most of those jokes are adapted straight from the original Japanese version and b) Funimation's writers and actors are perfectly capable of translating comedy without peaking over TFS's shoulder, as the Resurrection F movie dub should attest. Maybe there's a bit more meta-humour in the new stuff that could look like it's taking inspiration from a parody, but that's more likely a product of how old the franchise is now. They can look back and laugh at a few of the old tropes.
Well, I mean, it's hard not to draw comparisons between a parody by fans & a show that's written & actively acknowledged some of the complaints in the fandom, like Goku having a job at various points being a thing Western fans have complained about for years, & the embarrassing animation mistakes being fixed, though that one would've impacted sales of the home releases I'm betting. I'm betting some of the episode writers are fans of Z themselves & have been active in the fandom for years, so they influence some things into the scripts &/or storyboards every so often. Personally, I've never seen anything TFS-level in terms of the humor, so I have NO idea where your claims of people doing that are coming from, if they're even legitimate. I've seen either you or someone else say the same shit somewhere else & I've never encountered the things you're talking about.
HOWEVER, there's something else I need to address that isn't humor-related with Super. Goku's character. He's always been naive, but not downright stupid & he's always loved a good fight & having a good time, but never when it's when anyone's lives are in danger, or when he didn't think other people couldn't handle it. This is a thing that makes parts of Super when it comes to Goku, for me, that makes it feel like they're writing parody Goku rather than canonical Goku. Yeah, Toriyama said he'd always intended for Goku to be a bit more selfish, but there's a difference between being selfish & being braindead stupid & callous to other people. Goku feels more like parody Goku than canon Goku. Even in the Android & Buu Sagas, he wasn't as he is in Super. It just feels like a different character altogether. I'm not saying they're taking from TFS in this area, but it's hard not to make comparisons like I am.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:12 am

Scsigs wrote: You REALLY have no idea what a hipster is, considering what I think you're trying to say here.
English is a very versatile language, words that mean one thing at one point mean something completely different even ten years later. Been like that before the word 'hipster.' was ever uttered, and will be like that long after 'hipster' falls out of the english language for being old timey. You may not agree, but the term has been greatly expanded on from its humble beginnings.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:29 pm

I think it's a good I apparently have no idea, Doesn't sound like a good thing.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:42 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
Scsigs wrote: You REALLY have no idea what a hipster is, considering what I think you're trying to say here.
English is a very versatile language, words that mean one thing at one point mean something completely different even ten years later. Been like that before the word 'hipster.' was ever uttered, and will be like that long after 'hipster' falls out of the english language for being old timey. You may not agree, but the term has been greatly expanded on from its humble beginnings.
Define what YOU think it is, because I doubt it's one of the definitions of the word.
The definitions include:
1. a usually young person who is trendy, stylish, or progressive in an unconventional way; someone who is hip.
2. a person, especially during the 1950s and 1960s, characterized by a particularly strong sense of alienation from most established social activities and relationships; a beatnik or hippie.
3. a performer or admirer of jazz, especially swing; a hepcat.
4. a person who is unusually aware of and interested in new and unconventional patterns (as in jazz or fashion)
Source: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/hipster & https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hipster

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:07 pm

Scsigs wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:
Define what YOU think it is, because I doubt it's one of the definitions of the word.

Hipsters are a really REALLY arrogant group of people. They reject more mainstream tastes, norms, etc for the alternative tastes, but what sets them apart within that alternative interest, is that they believe themselves to be the end all-be all of that particular thing and anyone who has a different opinion get a front seat to their arrogance.

Brikikoz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brikikoz » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:06 pm

I'm pretty hipster. :D

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:10 pm

Saying your a hipster is way to mainstream.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:33 pm

FoolsGil wrote:Hipsters are a really REALLY arrogant group of people. They reject more mainstream tastes, norms, etc for the alternative tastes, but what sets them apart within that alternative interest, is that they believe themselves to be the end all-be all of that particular thing and anyone who has a different opinion get a front seat to their arrogance.
Not me, though, so don't call me one.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:43 pm

Brikikoz wrote:I'm pretty hipster. :D
No, you're not.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:20 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
Hipsters are a really REALLY arrogant group of people. They reject more mainstream tastes, norms, etc for the alternative tastes, but what sets them apart within that alternative interest, is that they believe themselves to be the end all-be all of that particular thing and anyone who has a different opinion get a front seat to their arrogance.
I think what you're trying to say is that the dictionary can give the definition, but not necessarily the connotation.

Which in this case, you're right.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Brikikoz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brikikoz » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:18 am

Noah wrote:
Brikikoz wrote:I'm pretty hipster. :D
No, you're not.
Yes. :D

Asura

Post by Asura » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:16 am

So uh, to change the topic...

Anyone else prefer MasakoX's Goku from the much earlier episodes? I feel like he's way too high pitched now, and he was closer to being an English version of Nozawa.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:42 am

Asura wrote:So uh, to change the topic...

Anyone else prefer MasakoX's Goku from the much earlier episodes? I feel like he's way too high pitched now, and he was closer to being an English version of Nozawa.
In terms of being an English equivalent to Nozawa, I don't think he's ever been that at all. He does a more high-pitched voice than his natural speaking voice, yeah, but it's too nasally & still too manly to be a Nozawa impersonation. Plus I can actually stand to listen to it for extended periods of time unlike than Nozawa's shrill Goku voice, but that's just me.
As for him being closer back then, his Goku voice has definitely gone up a bit in pitch, but it's the same exact voice he's always done. It's like saying Sean Schemmel's Goku voice has become more high-pitched. In one sense, you're right, but the tone hasn't changed, just his inflections. Plus both of their acting skills have gotten much better over the years.
That's just my impression of them, though.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:06 am

Honestly, not at all. No disrespect to Masako, but I feel like back in the earlier episodes, he was one of the weaker performers on the show. Nowadays, he's improved leaps and bounds and has a really good grasp of Goku's voice. Goku in general feels like a more well-realised character from season 3 onwards.

The tone of voice has gotten wackier, but it's a more confident portrayal at the same time.

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:16 am

I kinda get what you mean. His early voice is nice. Its still nice now but its more higher energy now I guess?