DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:38 am

What? SSJ4 Broly is on Extreme Butouten? WTF
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:41 am

The top 24 DB games list of TFS is laughable and doesn't have any kind of credibility to it.

But Super Butoden 2 was decent in its day. It's just that no 16-32 bit era db game managed to age well, because they weren't *really* good. It wasn't until the PS2 era where the *actually good* db games began to appear.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:02 am

TobyS wrote:There was one bit where Masako managed to do serious Son. IIrc he told Cell “Cell, your gonna die” when he saved Ten and Piccolo.

Edit: yeah
https://youtu.be/4qbHfE-NdHg
That was still humorous delivery, but a better tone. It's still to high pitched imo. TFS does great voice work no doubt but a lot of there actors wouldn't be able to transition over to a serious dub of DB, the voices would be a miscast.

I hope my opinions havin't hurt anyone's feelings though, I honestly think there all talented folks.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:43 pm

Since they said they're only one doing one game a franchise (I.E. Budokai 1, 2, 3,) I wonder if Xenoverse 2 will just be excluded from the list completely in favor of XV1. I liked XV1 a lot better myself so I hope this is the case!

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:48 pm

Asura wrote:Since they said they're only one doing one game a franchise (I.E. Budokai 1, 2, 3,) I wonder if Xenoverse 2 will just be excluded from the list completely in favor of XV1. I liked XV1 a lot better myself so I hope this is the case!
XV1 has no chance of beating XV2 on this list.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:35 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Asura wrote:Since they said they're only one doing one game a franchise (I.E. Budokai 1, 2, 3,) I wonder if Xenoverse 2 will just be excluded from the list completely in favor of XV1. I liked XV1 a lot better myself so I hope this is the case!
Well, I mean, it's really subjective as to which one is better. Personally, I think they're on the same level, just in different ways.
Xenoverse definitely has a better story, but the controls are lacking. Plus, goddamn super armor on the bosses during said story, plus awful difficulty spikes & times where it seems like the bosses flat-out cheat, requiring you to either train to get stronger, or cheese them through cheap tactics.
Xenoverse 2 feels more like Budokai 2; a half-step that tweaks some of the controls & visuals for the better, but isn't as great as it could've been. Plus, the story suffers from being mostly rehashed from the first game, only this time Trunks looks like a complete screw-up. There are some good improvements, like a more expansive hub world, flight in said hub world (though not available from the start for some reason), no super armor on bosses, the clothing options being improved, gathering things rather than paying for them through the Buu kids, & the fact that, if you played the first game, when you import your first game character, their moves also transfer, giving you a good moveset from the start.

Both have the same problems, however. Character customization is pretty limited compared to other RPGs, the voice acting in the English dub suffers from pacing & directional problems, as well as the fact that the mouths don't match the English words at all because they're synced to the Japanese, since they didn't have the cutscenes to dub over at all. Now, while I don't know if Budokai 1 was dubbed with the cutscenes, but it was either that, or the mouthes were reanimated to fit the English audio. It's bad because other RPGs, like Kingdom Hearts & Final Fantasy XV were dubbed with the cutscenes available to the dub team with most, if not all, of the mouthes reanimated to the dub dialogue. The controls & learning curve are also in need of improvements. 2 made some good leaps forwards, but it's far from perfect. I also would like them to make the story mode more insane with the concept they have. They have time travel, alternate universes & timelines, time patrolers, etc, all in the setting of Dragon Ball, & they waste it by not having much creativity in the writers room. You can't tell me that you can't get a great video game story with that set up & those elements. I'd also have the players unlock moves during the story as opposed to just the skill shops or PQs, like Budokai 2 & 3 had.

Truth be told, I wouldn't rank either game on a favorite DB games list. Hell, no game has surpassed the last 2 main Budokai games for me. I really hope Xenoverse 3 kicks it up a notch with its story & combat elements. How TFS will rank the games, I don't know, but if they don't include them in the ranking, or put them at low points on the scale, I wouldn't be surprised.
(Sorry to get all reviewer-y there. Both games just have a lot right, but so much wrong, or can be improved upon).
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:02 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Well, I mean, it's really subjective as to which one is better. Personally, I think they're on the same level, just in different ways.
Ii wasn't talking about how I think of the games. Personally, the two Xenoverse games are my favorite Dragon ball games of all time. But from watching TFS's playthroughs, I can say without a doubt that they'd rank 2 over 1. Though, I still expect Xenoverse overall to not even get past the number 10 spot.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:05 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Kanassa wrote: XV1 has no chance of beating XV2 on this list.
Ii wasn't talking about how I think of the games. Personally, the two Xenoverse games are my favorite Dragon ball games of all time. But from watching TFS's playthroughs, I can say without a doubt that they'd rank 2 over 1. Though, I still expect Xenoverse overall to not even get past the number 10 spot.
And as I was saying, they'd probably rank them mostly the same level, if not the same level. 2 feels more like an expansion pack to the first game, so I don't know.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:12 pm

Kanassa wrote:
I think it has a great chance, in fact I would be surprised if XV2 beat XV1 on this list. They've made it pretty well known that they don't like Xenoverse 2 all that much, but they seemed to enjoy XV1 when it came out, and XV1 was absolutely revolutionary in terms of Dragon Ball games, it was the first of its kind, something no one had ever seen before and something that everyone had only dreamed of before. XV1 had its fair share of problems and XV2 does improve on some of those things, but XV2 just felt like a very mediocre expansion pack. I don't like the direction they took with the combat in XV2 with the addition of stamina breaks. It's just not a fun mechanic at all and the entirety of the gameplay centers around guard breaking your opponent so that they can just sit there helpless while you wail on them. In addition, the story is lackluster and Toki Toki city, while being a lot smaller and more limited, was a lot nicer and cozier than this new gigantic map that's rather unneeded because you can't even load a huge amount of people into the same lobby at once, meaning there's just a vast amount of emptiness.

If nothing else alone, XV1 will make the list over XV2 because of how much of a revolutionary game it was at the time that has now changed how we view DBZ games.
Kanassa wrote:But from watching TFS's playthroughs, I can say without a doubt that they'd rank 2 over 1.
Uh, are you sure you've watched the right playthroughs? Because Lani has said before that it's pretty obvious they don't like Xenoverse 2 that much and that they got pretty bored with it pretty fast. They definitely don't dislike it per se, but it seems like they find it disappointing and boring. I'm pretty sure at the end of the playthrough or in one of the DLC videos that Lani said he has no interest in playing the game again except to check out the DLC.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:05 pm

If Budokai 3/Tenkaichi 3 are not top #1 I'll be pissed :x
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:44 pm

Noah wrote:If Budokai 3/Tenkaichi 3 are not top #1 I'll be pissed :x
Only Kirran really loves Tenkaichi 3 the most out of all of them. It's as Lani has said multiple times by now; it's a good toybox, but it's a shallow game. Budokai 3 does everything Tenkaichi doesn't. Tenkaichi 3 has a decent story mode, but it's not really a great fighting game. It's part of the reason I don't like Xenoverse 1 & 2 a lot. It takes more from the Tenkaichi series than Budokai, which is weird because it's made by Dimps.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:23 am

I think in later videos they kind of walked back the Xenoverse 2 hatred a bit. At the very least, they acknowledged it was an improvement over Xenoverse 1, just not enough of an improvement, which is fair enough. Plus, I think it just wasn't what they wanted in a game. Again, that's subjective which is fair enough.

I don't doubt Xenoverse 2 will make it in. I mean if Final Bout can make it in, there's really no excuse.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:27 am

Scsigs wrote:Tenkaichi 3 has a decent story mode, but it's not really a great fighting game.
Decent story mode? Sorry, but I think you never played BT3 at all :lol:

Its Story Mode is god damn awful, too rushed and they took the custom option we had in Tenkaichi 2 Story Mode, but the fighting controls improved a lot and it's one of the best and fast pacing Z games I ever played.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:14 pm

Noah wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Tenkaichi 3 has a decent story mode, but it's not really a great fighting game.
Decent story mode? Sorry, but I think you never played BT3 at all :lol:

Its Story Mode is god damn awful, too rushed and they took the custom option we had in Tenkaichi 2 Story Mode, but the fighting controls improved a lot and it's one of the best and fast pacing Z games I ever played.
Oh, trust me, I played it years ago when it came out for the Wii. Why I say the story mode was decent is because it had a wide variety of levels based on the anime & manga, as well as the first 13 DBZ movies. And, don't get me wrong, I said "decent," not "fantastic." Few Dragon Ball games have a truly great story mode. Most of the time, it's either decent, or disappointing. And the combat is a system I can get used to, but I don't like.
I've had these opinions since I first played the game & watching TFS' let's play of the game just reminded me of them.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:42 pm

[spoiler]Why do i get the feeling that if TFS ever covers the Universe Survival tournament, Saonel and Pirina will act like Borg drones from Star Trek? They literally absorbed a huge portion of their race...so...

Also, I'd like to see how they handle the scene where Piccolo sees Kami and Nail[/spoiler]
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:43 pm

Danfun64 wrote:[spoiler]Why do I get the feeling that if TFS ever covers the Universe Survival tournament, Saonel and Pirina will act like Borg drones from Star Trek?[/spoiler]
Are you kidding? I would be glad if they at least finish all Z and the movies, DB would be a bonus such as GT Super too, but that's too far away in the future...
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:42 pm

Kataphrut wrote:I think in later videos they kind of walked back the Xenoverse 2 hatred a bit. At the very least, they acknowledged it was an improvement over Xenoverse 1, just not enough of an improvement, which is fair enough. Plus, I think it just wasn't what they wanted in a game. Again, that's subjective which is fair enough.

I don't doubt Xenoverse 2 will make it in. I mean if Final Bout can make it in, there's really no excuse.
After the latest video, I'm changing my prediction. Xenoverse 2 won't make it in, but Hero Colosseum will. I can't even be mad about the Xenoverse saltiness anymore, because that Nuzlocke playthrough is so much fun.

Speaking of salt, Kirran's reaction to the Godtube thing, man :lol:

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:58 pm

Kataphrut wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:I think in later videos they kind of walked back the Xenoverse 2 hatred a bit. At the very least, they acknowledged it was an improvement over Xenoverse 1, just not enough of an improvement, which is fair enough. Plus, I think it just wasn't what they wanted in a game. Again, that's subjective which is fair enough.

After the latest video, I'm changing my prediction. Xenoverse 2 won't make it in, but Hero Colosseum will. I can't even be mad about the Xenoverse saltiness anymore, because that Nuzlocke playthrough is so much fun.

Speaking of salt, Kirran's reaction to the Godtube thing, man :lol:
Yeah, I was wondering if he forgot about Gowasu watching it way back in the Future Trunks Arc or something. Because, talk about triggered. :wtf:

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:29 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
Kataphrut wrote: Speaking of salt, Kirran's reaction to the Godtube thing, man :lol:
Yeah, I was wondering if he forgot about Gowasu watching it way back in the Future Trunks Arc or something. Because, talk about triggered. :wtf:
Probably. He hates Super, I think he was just projecting his dislike onto that. To be honest, it was mainly funny because Lani was there to bounce off it (I lost it at "like, favourite and pray"). Salt makes good seasoning, but too much of it on it's own is just painful.

I don't think I've even heard any Dragon Ball Youtubers call themselves "Godtubers."

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:56 pm

Kataphrut wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:
Kataphrut wrote: Speaking of salt, Kirran's reaction to the Godtube thing, man :lol:
Probably. He hates Super, I think he was just projecting his dislike onto that. To be honest, it was mainly funny because Lani was there to bounce off it (I lost it at "like, favourite and pray"). Salt makes good seasoning, but too much of it on it's own is just painful.

I don't think I've even heard any Dragon Ball Youtubers call themselves "Godtubers."
Same. Then again, I don't follow that many. DBZA, obviously. Geekdom, Rhymestyle, and Blackenfist about round it out. Oh, and Masako on his personal channel. Not once have I heard any of them call themselves "Godtubers".