DragonBall GT Revised [fanfic]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Re: DragonBall GT: Revised

Post by Maphisto86 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:19 am

Ah Goten, another character that got shirked in the *gulp* "real" GT. I thought the relationship between him and Valese/Paresu was kinda cute but you really did it A LOT better in your version.

P.S. Is it Valese or Paresu? I never got the 101 on where those two names came from and which is the genuine one. Oh and how close in appearance is your version of the character to the "real" one Kaboom? She looks different from her "real" counterpart in the great ensemble picture you did.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:01 am

Gotta say, I love your redesign of Pan. :D

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:15 am

Maphisto86 wrote:P.S. Is it Valese or Paresu? I never got the 101 on where those two names came from and which is the genuine one.
I'm not sure either. I've heard a few different romanizations for her name and didn't really like any of them, so I did something I don't often do and went with her dub-name.
Oh and how close in appearance is your version of the character to the "real" one Kaboom? She looks different from her "real" counterpart in the great ensemble picture you did.
Not much is similar between my Valese and the original except her name. She's one of the characters I've overhauled the most (not like she was particularly major in GT, or anything).
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:19 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Maphisto86 wrote:P.S. Is it Valese or Paresu? I never got the 101 on where those two names came from and which is the genuine one.
I'm not sure either. I've heard a few different romanizations for her name and didn't really like any of them, so I did something I don't often do and went with her dub-name.
Oh and how close in appearance is your version of the character to the "real" one Kaboom? She looks different from her "real" counterpart in the great ensemble picture you did.
Not much is similar between my Valese and the original except her name. She's one of the characters I've overhauled the most (not like she was particularly major in GT, or anything).
Well either way she is a much more three dimensional character then her "real" counterpart that's for sure! :) I find it strange that her "canon" name confounds me because so many of the more prominent characters in Dragonball also have multiple romanizations of their name; for example, Goku - Gokuh, Vegeta - Bejita, etc. I geuss because one is a romaniztion and the other is a westernized name. I am sure "Valese" was out prior to Funimation's dub of GT but I digress. Still not quite sure what her name is also because I never watched GT completely and only saw one or two scenes of her and Goten together.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:13 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Her name is Palace. It's paresu (パレス) in Japanese, which approximates the English word "palace" exactly, a la Torankusu -> Trunks, Seru -> Cell, etc. The pun is that Goten's name is a homophone for another word, goten (御殿), which means... "palace."

I swear I've explained this to you specifically before, but maybe I'm thinking of someone else.
-Rachel

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:45 pm

TripleRach wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:
Her name is Palace. It's paresu (パレス) in Japanese, which approximates the English word "palace" exactly, a la Torankusu -> Trunks, Seru -> Cell, etc. The pun is that Goten's name is a homophone for another word, goten (御殿), which means... "palace."

I swear I've explained this to you specifically before, but maybe I'm thinking of someone else.
I don't remember ever having her name explained to me, although I figured out a long time ago that "Paresu" is likely the japanese romanization of "palace" but I was not 100% certain. However every time I used to use this name I would get an opinion that it was wrong. Go figure . . . probably dub fans on other forums. :roll: Personally I am of the opinion that the Japanese names usually take prominence over any "westernized" or dub variant. Don't know what Valese means and frankly that is the only change of her character that I don't agree with in this fic. Other than that, SSJ Kaboom's changes to GT characters are welcome.
Last edited by Maphisto86 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:11 am

Ah, oh well. Valese has been featured pretty prominently already, so I think going and changing her name would be a bit too big of a retcon to make at this point.

Besides, my version is so different from her GT self in so many ways, that she might as well be a completely different character anyway. :lol:
deviantART
[thread]

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:10 am

Maphisto86 wrote:Don't know what Valese means
Her brother is Ekson.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:50 am

Rocketman wrote:
Her brother is Ekson.
:?: :?: :?: :| :oops: :| Hm?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:49 pm

TripleRach wrote:Her name is Palace. It's paresu (パレス) in Japanese, which approximates the English word "palace" exactly, a la Torankusu -> Trunks, Seru -> Cell, etc. The pun is that Goten's name is a homophone for another word, goten (御殿), which means... "palace."

I think she was called "Paris" in the Blue Water Dub, which is close I guess, but as you say Palace makes a ton more sense.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:18 pm

So now I feel kinda bad about not using the name "Palace," even though it really grates on me. Like, hypocritical because I insist upon using the "correct" names for everyone else. :/
I could use 'Paris,' but... that brings up connotations of a certain celebrity bimbo, and I wouldn't do my character such a disservice.

Maybe I could come up with some romanization that sounds more like a name. Like... Parise? Or Palice? Something like that? I kinda like 'Palice,' actually.

If I'm gonna rehaul her name like this, I have to decide on something soon. Because she's gonna feature prominently into the chapter after next.

EDIT: Okay, I've decided. Her name within GTR will be 'Palice!' It's extremely similarly-spelled and pronounced essentially the same way as the pun-word, yet manages to invoke the sound and feel of an actual name, 'Alice,' in the process! Double-whammy!
deviantART
[thread]

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:41 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:EDIT:'Palice!' It's extremely similarly-spelled and pronounced essentially the same way as the pun-word, yet manages to invoke the sound and feel of an actual name
Police!
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:47 pm

Maphisto86 wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
Her brother is Ekson.
:?: :?: :?: :| :oops: :| Hm?
Ekson-Valese.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:12 am

Rocketman wrote:
Her brother is Ekson.
Maphisto86 wrote: :?: :?: :?: :| :oops: :| Hm?
Rocketman wrote:Ekson-Valese.
:roll: Oh Rocketman . . . you enviro-political agitator you. :P

Glad you stayed with the usual regimine SSJ Kaboom. In the end I guess it is not a big deal but if you are going to avoid dub names as a matter of principle I think this is wise.
Last edited by Maphisto86 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:33 am

Maphisto86 wrote:Glad you stayed with the usual regimen SSJ Kaboom. In the end I guess it is not a big deal but if you are going to avoid dub names as a matter of principle I think this is wise.
Yeah, same here. Consistency is important.

Anyway...

SON GOTEN

Alignment: Neutral Good
Race: Half-human, half-Saiyan
Battle Power: ~15,000,000
Transformations: Super Saiyan
Home: Mt. Paozu, boarding in Satan City
Family: Son Goku (Father), ChiChi (Mother), Mr. Satan (Father-in-Law), Son Gohan (Brother), Videl (Sister-in-Law), Pan (Neice), Gosan (Nephew)
Goals: To eventually settle down with "Miss Right."

Techniques:
  • Kamehameha - Like most of the Saiyan side of his family, Goten is able to pull off the Kamehameha quite easily. But due to his non-combat-focused lifestyle, he hasn't developed much of a repertoire of his own beyond that and the basics. You never know what the future may bring, though...
  • Fusion - Goten and Trunks haven't performed the Fusion Dance in a long time, but they could probably still pull it off if the need were to arise. With how Trunks and Goten have matured in both mind and body over the years, one has to wonder what Gotenks would be like as a result...
Bio: Goten has moved out from home to live and attend college (largely on a Capsule Corp. scholarship) in Satan City, and has adjusted quite well to city life. He's somewhat of a chick magnet, as much from his looks and physique as his benevolent, charming, and more-than-slightly goofy personality.

Goten trained every so often throughout his teenage years, and still does, though far less frequently. His Super Saiyan power at the onset of the series is a mere fraction of what his father and brother can dish out, though certainly nothing to scoff at.

Goten fights in a freestyle manner influenced by both the Turtle School style learned from his family as well as improvised street fighting. His moves and tactics are usually more concerned with looking cool than having any serious strategic value.

------

Hooray, took long enough. I had trouble producing a half-decent sketch of Goten. Even after I managed to produce something, it took a lot of cleanup in Photoshop before I colored it. >_<

But there's more than a bio this time. I've got some nifty additional 'concept art.'

Here's the original sketch version.

This is the asteroid field in which, at some point in the future, the 'Grand Tour Four' will have a funky-fresh face-off against a certain groovy trio.
deviantART
[thread]

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:41 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:This is the asteroid field in which, at some point in the future, the 'Grand Tour Four' will have a funky-fresh face-off against a certain groovy trio.
Oh no! We will be doomed! DOOOOOMED! :shock:

Loving the character portraits you're making for these, especially this one featuring Goten both SSJ and normal. I am curious as to how his "street smart" style of fighting came about and what it will be like.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:48 am

Just a quick note: I replaced the pic of Goku from his bio on the previous page with a new one that doesn't look like donkey-butt. Here's a handy link for you lazy types.

So what should I post next while I finish up the next chapter(s)? I'd like to avoid more bios until then, since the one or two I have in mind go with the story. How about an excerpt from the chapter? Or notes of some kind? Or maybe some Power Levels? :twisted:
deviantART
[thread]

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:49 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:Just a quick note: I replaced the pic of Goku from his bio on the previous page with a new one that doesn't look like donkey-butt. Here's a handy link for you lazy types.
The first pic was not half bad but you can tell the new Goku picture has smoother lines than previously.
SSj Kaboom wrote:So what should I post next while I finish up the next chapter(s)? I'd like to avoid more bios until then, since the one or two I have in mind go with the story. How about an excerpt from the chapter? Or notes of some kind? Or maybe some Power Levels? :twisted:
Hmmmm . . . well we all know how contriversal and bullsh** ridden power levels can be after the Freeza saga. Well you mention battle power in the bios but I doubt you will to a bio for each and every character mentioned (r. . . rr.. right? :shock: ), so why not post a few. I am actually more interested in any concept notes or ideas you had (so long as they don't spoil future chapters that is).

Post away sir! Post away!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:37 pm

May as well introduce battle powers and what if any role they play...

Yay, new Gokû art!!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:37 pm

May as well introduce battle powers and what if any role they play...
Well, to be honest, they don't really play much of a role besides helping me keep track of things (having battle power lists for parts of the series can serve as summaries, in a way) and for my own amusement.

I think I'll end up having to post ONE more character bio before the next big update. Because when I say big, I mean BIG, so it's taking more time to finish up than I expected. Any picks for which character?
deviantART
[thread]