DragonBall GT Revised [fanfic]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ree
Regular

Re: DragonBall GT Revised [fanfic]

Post by Ree » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:33 pm

I can't wait for Broly's appearance! I hope its better than BioBroly!
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:19 pm

Hey, I don't know if this is a "spoilery" question, but are you thinking about giving Oob Kaioken? I figure he would get more mileage aout of it than Pan would, since he can't exactly go Super Saiyan or anything.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:33 am

Awww... And here I was all happy that some new update is here...

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:32 pm

Ree wrote:I can't wait for Broly's appearance! I hope its better than BioBroly!
Well, it'd be hard for me to make it any worse.
DanielSSJ wrote:Hey, I don't know if this is a "spoilery" question, but are you thinking about giving Oob Kaioken? I figure he would get more mileage aout of it than Pan would, since he can't exactly go Super Saiyan or anything.
Nah, Pan's getting it as part of her character and power growth process. Oob is already plenty over-powered without it, and he'll be even more so after merging with Boo.
Tzigi wrote:Awww... And here I was all happy that some new update is here...
...Stay tuned.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:25 pm

Kaboom wrote:
DanielSSJ wrote:Hey, I don't know if this is a "spoilery" question, but are you thinking about giving Oob Kaioken? I figure he would get more mileage aout of it than Pan would, since he can't exactly go Super Saiyan or anything.
Nah, Pan's getting it as part of her character and power growth process. Oob is already plenty over-powered without it, and he'll be even more so after merging with Boo.
What's your reasoning for him not having it? Just can't learn it? Or do you believe Kaio-ken just draws out dormant power, and Oob will realize his own dormant power without that?

I think I remember you saying before that's how you viewed the Kaio-ken, and it's why it can't be stacked with Super Saiyan or Ultimate Gohan (now that would be broken).
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:57 pm

Kaboom wrote: Nah, Pan's getting it as part of her character and power growth process. Oob is already plenty over-powered without it, and he'll be even more so after merging with Boo.
Fair enough. Based on that, how powerful is Oob at this point? I'd assume he's at least on par with Kid Boo.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:33 pm

Saiga wrote:What's your reasoning for him not having it? Just can't learn it? Or do you believe Kaio-ken just draws out dormant power, and Oob will realize his own dormant power without that? I think I remember you saying before that's how you viewed the Kaio-ken, and it's why it can't be stacked with Super Saiyan or Ultimate Gohan (now that would be broken).
From an "I'm the writer" angle, it's because I want Pan to have it exclusively, and she'll actually have need of it during future crises while Oob won't.

From an in-universe angle... I think the Kaio-Ken is such a tricky technique that it's limited to those with a certain special "protagonist prodigy" quality to them, which Pan inherited from Goku. Also, I think the inherent stress of learning and using it may require a tougher than normal body. Pan's got that covered from being part-Saiyan, but Oob's a regular human (for now) despite his power.

But really, it all kind of circles around to "Pan needs it, Oob doesn't."
DanielSSJ wrote:Fair enough. Based on that, how powerful is Oob at this point? I'd assume he's at least on par with Kid Boo.
More or less. I think that because Oob's already got that set amount of power laying dormant, it wouldn't take all that relatively long to bring it out through training. After that his power would increase much more gradually. In the flashback scene from Chapter 2's rewrite, Oob had already "unlocked" so much power after a year or so that he was having issues controlling it.
deviantART
[thread]

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:56 pm

The problem I have with that is it would mean characters like Gohan and Boo should be able to learn it (Boo could copy even the Kai Kai from seeing it) and then they'd be totally broken. Related it to hidden power should cover both of those in some way.

edit: And really if Pan's not even a Super Saiyan yet, she must be less of a prodigy than the other half breeds.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:32 am

Saiga wrote:The problem I have with that is it would mean characters like Gohan and Boo should be able to learn it (Boo could copy even the Kai Kai from seeing it) and then they'd be totally broken. Related it to hidden power should cover both of those in some way.
edit: And really if Pan's not even a Super Saiyan yet, she must be less of a prodigy than the other half breeds.
Well, as the author I guess I'll declare that Gohan just doesn't have the drive to learn something like that unless he would really, really have to, and with the way his power now works in GTR (as I'll eventually go into detail about), it probably wouldn't even work well for him anyway. As for Boo... Uh... next question.

When it comes to Pan's potential, the reasoning for her not already a Super Saiyan is two-fold. First, she wasn't one in GT, and I'm trying to build on what GT did wherever I think possible and worthwhile instead of just ditching it. Second, the way I'm doing that is by making it something she has to work for. That gives her something to build a character growth around, and as an added bonus I'm not contributing to the cheapening of Super Saiyan (with her, anyway). As for in-universe reasons, it could be a combination of a) Gohan's power being all rearranged when Pan was conceived, and b) Pan being only quarter-Saiyan, with more diluted blood than Goten or Trunks working against how much of a naturally-gifted prodigy she otherwise is. Besides, Gohan's half-Saiyan too, and Super Saiyan didn't come easily to him either. I wanted Pan to take after him in that way.
deviantART
[thread]

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:00 pm

Hey, I was wondering. In your backstory of the Black Star Dragon Balls and in Chapter 4, you mention stuff like the movie villains and Goku's fight with them. How do you fit those instances into the main storyline of DBZ? Or is it a case of "don't think about it to hard"?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:12 pm

DanielSSJ wrote:Hey, I was wondering. In your backstory of the Black Star Dragon Balls and in Chapter 4, you mention stuff like the movie villains and Goku's fight with them. How do you fit those instances into the main storyline of DBZ? Or is it a case of "don't think about it to hard"?
The offhand mention of movie villains during Chapter 4 (from when Oob was reminiscing, right?) was just meant to be extra flavor. But it's going away and being replaced with something more broad and vague in the rewrite of that scene.

As for Slug... to a certain extent, all of Cataclysm is meant to be just a side-story too, kind of like the DBZ movies are to the series, and the in-depth explanation in GTR Chapter 8 will be simplified too. But even if those events happened exactly that way on Namek centuries ago, that doesn't necessarily mean Slug made his way to Earth like in Movie 4, y'know?
deviantART
[thread]

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:41 pm

Kaboom wrote:
DanielSSJ wrote:Hey, I was wondering. In your backstory of the Black Star Dragon Balls and in Chapter 4, you mention stuff like the movie villains and Goku's fight with them. How do you fit those instances into the main storyline of DBZ? Or is it a case of "don't think about it to hard"?
The offhand mention of movie villains during Chapter 4 (from when Oob was reminiscing, right?) was just meant to be extra flavor. But it's going away and being replaced with something more broad and vague in the rewrite of that scene.

As for Slug... to a certain extent, all of Cataclysm is meant to be just a side-story too, kind of like the DBZ movies are to the series, and the in-depth explanation in GTR Chapter 8 will be simplified too. But even if those events happened exactly that way on Namek centuries ago, that doesn't necessarily mean Slug made his way to Earth like in Movie 4, y'know?
Okay fair enough. I get headaches just thinking about most of the DBZ movies. And not just because they don't fit in the official continuity. coughBioBrolycough

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:28 pm

Haha. You know, Kaboom, getting caught up on just how far behind you are makes me feel better that it took me so long to finish Saga 6 of my Altered History series. I mean, at least that's actually finished now. :P
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:08 pm

Holy crap, Xyex is making posts!

Heh, yeah, it is taking a long time. But GTR is my baby project and I'm not planning to give up on it. If I ever do give up you'll all know it, because the overwhelming shame will cause me to just disappear from the internet altogether.
deviantART
[thread]

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:49 pm

I know. Shocking, isn't it? Hopefully this time I'll stick around for more than a couple months bfeore vanishing again.

Oh, and by the way, you still haven't done any of the AH art work I asked for, like, eight years ago. :P
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Good point.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:55 pm

Xyex wrote:Oh, and by the way, you still haven't done any of the AH art work I asked for, like, eight years ago. :P
Oh shoot, I knew there was something I'd been perpetually forgetting to do for the past half a decade. But look on the bright side — I'm that much less sucky at drawing now.
deviantART
[thread]

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:48 am

Kaboom wrote:
Xyex wrote:Oh, and by the way, you still haven't done any of the AH art work I asked for, like, eight years ago. :P
Oh shoot, I knew there was something I'd been perpetually forgetting to do for the past half a decade. But look on the bright side — I'm that much less sucky at drawing now.
That's only a bright side if there's an actual finished product. :p

And now for a question that is *gasp* actually on topic (and pardon me if this has been asked before, but I'm too lazy to read through the entire thread). Is GTR going to (continue to) ignore BoG, RoF, and Super? I'd imagine at this point it'd be nearly impossible to work those in, especially the SSG stuff.
<Xyex> Good point.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:13 pm

Xyex wrote:That's only a bright side if there's an actual finished product. :p
Well, I'll get back to you about that sometime soon.
Xyex wrote:And now for a question that is *gasp* actually on topic (and pardon me if this has been asked before, but I'm too lazy to read through the entire thread). Is GTR going to (continue to) ignore BoG, RoF, and Super? I'd imagine at this point it'd be nearly impossible to work those in, especially the SSG stuff.
You imagine correctly. I can and plan to easily work in some of the smaller details and precedents that the new stuff has set (like Kaio restoring his planet, for example). But something major and game-changing like Super Saiyan God? No way I can work that into a story I've already had mostly planned out for years now. It's already tricky enough to come up with good reasons for any of the badguys to be a challenge.

So in GTR's continuity, Beerus decided to sleep in for a few more decades. Then when Sorbet, Tagoma, and Shisami came to Earth, they had the misfortune of running into Vegeta, who was not away training with Whis at the time. Then Whis somehow managed to shoo Champa away or something, I dunno.
deviantART
[thread]

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Fri May 05, 2017 6:17 pm

Things have been fairly quiet on the GT Revised front! How's the story going, Kaboom, if you don't mind my asking? I very much miss the updates and new chapters!