DragonBall GT Revised [fanfic]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Re: DragonBall GT Revised [fanfic]

Post by CaBrPi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:10 pm

Wow, even Dende can beat up Raditz. :lol:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:10 pm

Getting your dormant power unlocked by the Grand Elder certainly helps. I wonder how many people forget that happened to Dende. Heck, even considering he's a non-combat-oriented Dragon type, when you look at how strong Kuririn and Gohan got from it I almost feel like a PL of "only" 5000 is lowballing Dende.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:22 pm

Oh, definitely. I just think it's hilarious.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:46 pm

Eh... you've got to have dormant power for it to be unlocked. I think 5,000 is too high for Dende, since he's not a fighting type and was probably like a 2 beforehand. His power getting unlocked was healy crap, I would be entirely unsurprised if he didn't get any stronger.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:31 pm

Who says dormant power is solely linked to fighting ability? Ki can be used for many, many things in the Dragon World. He can still have his ki increased to further his other abilities as a prodigy of the Dragon Clan, while still having fighting skill be nonexistent.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:15 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Who says dormant power is solely linked to fighting ability? Ki can be used for many, many things in the Dragon World. He can still have his ki increased to further his other abilities as a prodigy of the Dragon Clan, while still having fighting skill be nonexistent.
It's not just skill but power. Even if you're not a fighter a battle power of 5,000 makes you incredibly strong, just not next to the protagonists. Even if he doesn't ever use it for fighting, it doesn't change that he'd walk all over a great deal of strong fighters in the universe.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:20 pm

Goku considered Mr. Satan stronger than Dende. He would rather fuse with Satan, his reasoning being "Dende's not a warrior".
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:03 pm

Not that I'm ungrateful for my project getting some attention, but... is there really a need to nitpick about this? :problem:
deviantART
[thread]

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:49 am

Kaboom wrote:is there really a need to nitpick about this?
I've read your announcement with the Bio of Dende and while I'm not much of a power level person, the first thing that sprung to my mind was precisely: he's that much stronger then Raditz?
Other then that, I'm happy that you're continuing this. Take all your time and then provide us with great content :)

By the way, in GTR, are the trousers of SSJ4 organic?

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:13 am

Kaboom wrote:Not that I'm ungrateful for my project getting some attention, but... is there really a need to nitpick about this? :problem:
Actually, yeah, there is. You gave Dende a battle power of 5,000, someone expressed surprise(?), then you started talking about it, and said you were if anything low-balling him because he got his dormant power unlocked. I just pointed out that Goku pretty heavily implied he was weaker than a regular human. He concludes that it's better to fuse with Satan than Dende because:

Chapter: 502 (DBZ 308), P13.6
Context: Goku contemplates who to merge with
Goku: “De-Dende’s not a warrior…”
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:38 pm

The elder Kaioshin got weaker as a result of his fusion with a non-combatant.

Well, sorta.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:56 pm

CaBrPi wrote:The elder Kaioshin got weaker as a result of his fusion with a non-combatant.
Well, sorta.
Yeah, that's the angle I kind of see it from. Goku didn't say, "Dende's too weak to help," he said "Dende's not a fighter." Even if Dende's stronger than Mr. Satan in terms of battle power, his body is vastly different from Goku's and not built for combat, which would probably hurt more than help in a Fusion. Heck, Goku's probably even recalling how weak the Old Kaioshin got from fusing with a non-combatant. Meanwhile, Mr. Satan's weak as piss in comparison, but at least got a similar build and physiology to Goku.

So I see what you guys are getting at, but I really don't see a need to change anything. Dende will never "fight" anyone in GTR anyway, so it's not really going to change anything.
Tzigi wrote:By the way, in GTR, are the trousers of SSJ4 organic?
Nope. :wink:
deviantART
[thread]

MDSTSSJ
Regular

Post by MDSTSSJ » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:08 pm

Kaboom wrote:Not that I'm ungrateful for my project getting some attention, but... is there really a need to nitpick about this? :problem:
Everyone in this community we want that you GT Revised remain still as good as it is. Is completely normal for someone to discuss about something that does not fit at all for some. :thumbup:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:56 am

Well, wish I could say I was posting with a new chapter and what-not at long last, but unfortunately, some new deeply personal, soul-shattering even, things have gotten in the way, and I may not be able to finally put it all together for quite some time. I hope that Dende bio is enough to hold you guys over for the time being.

...PSYCHE.

GT Revised Chapter 1 (Redux) - "Let The Good Times Roll"
[ Read/Download ]

At way too freakin' long last, we have the first of several near-total rewrites of GT Revised's earliest chapters, with a new title to boot. In this new digitally-enhanced definitive HD version of Chapter 1, we've added a little more backstory elements for our protagonists, plus imported some content from the next couple chapters, to bring you a more meaty and worthwhile reading experience (and in one or two ways, even set things up for GTR's epilogue).

Despite all that was done, the chapter clocks in at "only" 14 pages, which is actually only half of what new chapters tend to be nowadays. Like I mentioned, I'm waiting to upload these rewrites to FanFiction.Net until they're all done rather than one at a time, so any new readers who don't have the Kanzenshuu-exclusive behind-the-scenes scoops don't end up confused. So for now, you can both read and download the PDF version via SkyDr- er, OneDrive there, and it looks better that way anyhoo.

I finished writing the chapter... geez, almost 2 weeks ago now, but of course I wanted to whip up some extra content to go along with it, to hopefully at least in part make up for the obscenely long wait this time around. We've got 2 big things for now, and a few smaller things coming in the next few days/weeks/eons. First off, we've got a big piece of artwork, showing the line-ups present for the 31st Tenka'ichi Budokai, with which the story opens.
(Click for the full image.)
The coloring on that isn't as interesting as I wanted it to be. See, I originally colored the thing with markers, and it turned out pretty damn good, but my printer decided to be a butt and mess up the colors when I tried to scan it in. Re-coloring it in Photoshop seemed like less of a hassle than figuring out how to get the scanner to accurately preserve the colors. I may still do the latter (perhaps re-coloring it anyway) and replace this version with the new one. Maybe. Probably not. I think I'll at least do something to make the background more interesting than solid red.

Either way, one of the smaller things in the pipeline is a small set of bios for the three unlucky regular human schmoes I made up to be easily beaten by the heroes in the tournament. A surprising amount of care and effort went into developing them, despite them only being mentioned in the chapter. I'm going to work in small actual appearances for them within the next few rewritten chapters still taking place at the tournament (with dialogue and everything!). Otherwise it'd seem like such a waste, y'know?

And speaking of bios, here we go...

SON GOKU

Alias: “Kakarrot”
Race: Saiyan (Honorary Earthling)
Battle Power: ~120,000,000
Alignment: Neutral Good
Home: Mt. Paozu, Earth
Occupation: Full-time martial arts master, part-time livestock rancher.
Family: Chichi (wife), Son Gohan (son), Son Goten (son), Videl (daughter-in-law), Mr. Satan (brother-in-law), Pan (granddaughter), Son Gosan (grandson)
Goals: To grow stronger and seek out other strong people to test himself against.
Techniques: Kamehame-Ha, Spirit Bomb, Kaio-Ken, Instant Movement, Dragon Fist

Bio: In an ever-changing Dragon Ball world, Son Goku is a comforting and reliable constant. No matter how much the people, places, and powers that surround him grow and change, or how much stronger Goku himself becomes, he remains a simple-minded and lovable guy who always seeks to improve himself and see the best in others.

In the nearly 20 years since Majin Boo's defeat, Goku has almost broken his record for consecutive years spent alive and on Earth. 9 years ago he went to live with Oob's family on their island home, but after about a year returned to stay with Chichi on Mt. Paozu, soon before Gohan and his own new family moved out. Despite the occasional distance between them all, Goku still teaches both Oob and Pan as his valued martial arts students, and he and Chichi make a living by maintaining a humble little livestock ranch on their property as well as coasting on leftover Tenka'ichi Budokai prize money from years past.

--------------

Well, there you have it. That's what I've got for now. Chapter 2R is mostly planned-out, and Chapter 18 is already halfway-done. Hopefully now that this extended funk is over, I can regain some momentum and crank both of those out within the next month or so.

Enjoy!
deviantART
[thread]

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:06 pm

I love that bio for Goku Kaboom, its so genuine.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:00 pm

As long ago promised to nobody, it's the character bio you've all been waiting for!

BROLI
Race: Saiyan (Honorary Fraggle)
Power: Maximum.
Alignment: Unbalanced.
Home: His fanboys' fantasies.
Occupation: Monster Devil, comic relief character, Gogeta's bitch.
Family: Paragus (father, dead), Fiddlehead (mother, even more dead)
Goals: SMASH PUNY KAKARROT
Techniques: PUNCH KAKARROT, CLOTHESLINE KAKARROT, THROW KAKARROT, BLAST KAKARROT

Y'all remember the infamous and soon-to-be-"improved" Chapter 7, or have you finally managed to stop the nightmares by forgetting it?

Also... you guys did notice I posted a "new" chapter about a month ago, right...?
deviantART
[thread]

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:56 pm

I sir am offended. Broly is tragic soul and a poet full of deep and profound thoughts that he loves to share with us all. Shame on you for insulting such a gentle giant.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:57 pm

Goku, Neutral Good? Oh please, Chaotic Neutral at best.

Anyway, the Broly bio offends me. Gogeta's bitch? Why wank him and place him on such a high pedestal? He's Goku's bitch at best.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:59 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:Anyway, the Broly bio offends me. Gogeta's bitch? Why wank him and place him on such a high pedestal? He's Goku's bitch at best.
Preeeeettttyyy sure that's meant as a crack at how often the video game openings kept pitting Broly against Gogeta, rather than something serious. But I could be wrong.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:10 pm

Yep. Fandom commentary, not power commentary.
deviantART
[thread]