DragonBall GT Revised [fanfic]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: DragonBall GT: Revised

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:44 pm

TripleRach wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:
Maphisto86 wrote:P.S. Is it Valese or Paresu? I never got the 101 on where those two names came from and which is the genuine one.
I'm not sure either. I've heard a few different romanizations for her name and didn't really like any of them, so I did something I don't often do and went with her dub-name.
Her name is Palace. It's paresu (パレス) in Japanese, which approximates the English word "palace" exactly, a la Torankusu -> Trunks, Seru -> Cell, etc. The pun is that Goten's name is a homophone for another word, goten (御殿), which means... "palace."

I swear I've explained this to you specifically before, but maybe I'm thinking of someone else.
I thought Paresu approximates to Paris which is a common girls name eg. Paris Hilton which may have been the inspiration for the character.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:28 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
TripleRach wrote:Her name is Palace. It's paresu (パレス) in Japanese, which approximates the English word "palace" exactly, a la Torankusu -> Trunks, Seru -> Cell, etc. The pun is that Goten's name is a homophone for another word, goten (御殿), which means... "palace."

I swear I've explained this to you specifically before, but maybe I'm thinking of someone else.
I thought Paresu approximates to Paris which is a common girls name eg. Paris Hilton which may have been the inspiration for the character.
No, that would be Parisu (パリス). The city is Pari (パリ), like the French pronunciation, incidentally.

And I'm not sure Paris is really a very common name, at least for girls. There are a lot of men with that name, though, and the most famous example is probably the Trojan prince. Paris Hilton may be more famous than him in recent years, but in 1996 when GT was on the air? No one knew her back then.
-Rachel

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:36 pm

TripleRach wrote:Paris Hilton may be more famous than him in recent years, but in 1996 when GT was on the air? No one knew her back then.
But unfortunately, people know her now. And the potential for association with little miss money-for-nothing is the exact reason why I never even considered using that almost-accurate romanization for the character.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:22 am

TripleRach wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
TripleRach wrote:Her name is Palace. It's paresu (パレス) in Japanese, which approximates the English word "palace" exactly, a la Torankusu -> Trunks, Seru -> Cell, etc. The pun is that Goten's name is a homophone for another word, goten (御殿), which means... "palace."

No, that would be Parisu (パリス). The city is Pari (パリ), like the French pronunciation, incidentally.

And I'm not sure Paris is really a very common name, at least for girls. There are a lot of men with that name, though, and the most famous example is probably the Trojan prince. Paris Hilton may be more famous than him in recent years, but in 1996 when GT was on the air? No one knew her back then.
Sorry I got confused with another character in an anime who's japanese name was Parisu which got translated to Paris.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:05 am

Kaboom wrote:
TripleRach wrote:Paris Hilton may be more famous than him in recent years, but in 1996 when GT was on the air? No one knew her back then.
But unfortunately, people know her now. And the potential for association with little miss money-for-nothing is the exact reason why I never even considered using that almost-accurate romanization for the character.
I guessed as much considering the names are similar but Palace is a good name anyway for a Dragonball character and she is already likeable.

Anyway as for a new biography posting . . . that is a hard choice. Maybe Mr. Satan as a timely tribute to the late, great Daisuke Gouri. Of course there are many others like Trunks, Vegeta, Chi-Chi, Bulma, etc. A secondary choice would be someone else who was introduced early in the story. Looking forward to the next chapter and the climax of the "Ancient Namek" arc.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:11 am

Okay, time for another Character Bio, in the belated but loving memory of Daisuke Gori...

MR. SATAN
  • Alignment: Lawful Good
    Alias: "Mark"
    Race: Human
    Battle Power: 9
    Home: Satan City
    Family: Videl (daughter), Son Gohan (son-in-law), Pan (granddaughter), Gosan (grandson), Mr. Boo (pupil, "brother")
    Goals: To retire with a bang and pass on the championship to somebody worthy.
    Techniques: Satan Miracle Special Ultra Super Megaton Punch (a.k.a. Satan Miracle Beautiful Super Awesome Punch)

Bio: Ever the lovable and proud goof, Mr. Satan has kept the title of World Champion for a while now. He and Mr. Boo cleared the 29th and 30th Tenkaichi Budokais as they had the few before. But Mr. Satan had been looking to retire, yet wasn't willing to let the title pass on to any of the usual posers who have been challenging him for all these years.

So when he heard that Goku and company would be participating in the 31st, ol' Mark planned for this to be his last hurrah, and let one of the 'real' martial artists take his place as the new champ. However, the unexpected earthquake caused by Xuelong's summoning brought things to a quick and impromptu end. Mr. Satan should consider himself lucky, though; he was thus spared from having to fight Vegeta...
-----------

I, uh... would really like to post something else to go along with this. But it's kind of late and I'm at a loss, so I'll leave it at just this for now. If I stumble across something tomorrow while I'm writing, I'll post it.
deviantART
[thread]

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:39 am

Good bio Kaboom, looking forward to more. :P

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:13 am

Huzzah! Something new! It's . . . a bio. :| Err . . . I mean AWESOME!!!! 8) :wink:

Thanks for doing Mr. Satan's bio. Even without his fro, the champ never looked so good. *sniff*

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:42 am

Maphisto86 wrote:Huzzah! Something new! It's . . . a bio. :| Err . . . I mean AWESOME!!!! 8) :wink:
Heheh. I apologize for the relative lack of real content. But it's only because the next actual update, chapter(s) included, is a big, multi-faceted work in the making. Trust me, the wait will be over soon, and I guarantee it'll be worth it.
deviantART
[thread]

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:51 am

Kaboom wrote:
Maphisto86 wrote:Huzzah! Something new! It's . . . a bio. :| Err . . . I mean AWESOME!!!! 8) :wink:
Heheh. I apologize for the relative lack of real content. But it's only because the next actual update, chapter(s) included, is a big, multi-faceted work in the making. Trust me, the wait will be over soon, and I guarantee it'll be worth it.
I was just playing! I look forward to any and all artwork including these bio portraits. *sniff* Still haven't gotten over Daisuki Gouri's passing but I am glad you put up Mr. Satan's bio as a small but appreciated gesture :cry: . What even better . . . the champ is still fro-less in your GT. :D

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:10 pm

Hey folks. Things are coming along amazingly. There should be some sort of update within the next few days. I won't spoil it.

What I have come to do now, though, is ask for some help. For "research" for the current chapter, I'm watching DBZ episode 37. In particular, I'm trying to hear and transcribe what Popo says in Namekian to launch Kami's ship and send it to Jupiter. But through a combination of the JP audio track being in old mono and Popo being generally hard to understand, I can't make out what he's saying.

Stupid DB Wikia has a list, but it must all be dub-inspired or something, because whatever Popo says to launch the ship in the original certainly sounds nothing like "Dorigelop crafca."

Anyone have any insight? Better ears than me? An already-made list on hand? A character will be using this same phrase in the chapter, and I'd rather not have to just guess if I don't have to.

And as I've typed this up, something just came to me. If Popo used the same phrase in DragonBall Kai, it might be clearer and easier to make out with the newer, better-quality audio.

EDIT: So I got my answer in the chat. Apparently it was "Tofuru kuppa goroppungo." Now to try and figure out what part of that means "Jupiter" so I should substitute something else...
deviantART
[thread]

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:24 pm

...why would Namekian have a word for Jupiter?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:27 pm

Rocketman wrote:...why would Namekian have a word for Jupiter?
Yeah, I eventually came to that same conclusion. My best guess would be that one of the words just means "fifth planet" or something instead.
deviantART
[thread]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:16 pm

Is there an update coming tonight? Maybe. Might it be tomorrow night instead? Perhaps. Might it be two updates, one tonight and the other tomorrow or maybe Monday? Possibly.

Is Kaboom just trying to stall and draw attention back to the thread in anticipation of something big? ...Probably.
deviantART
[thread]

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:20 pm

Wait a tick!

...I thought #14 was already up?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:46 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Wait a tick!
Nay.

Take into consideration what day it was when I made that tweet, and its possible relationship to what's possibly the most often linked-to-when-you're-expecting-something-else internet item on the planet.
deviantART
[thread]

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:56 pm

Kaboom wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Wait a tick!
Nay.
Take into consideration what day it was when I made that tweet, and its possible relationship to what's possibly the most often linked-to-when-you're-expecting-something-else internet item on the planet.
I never did click the link so I guess I didn't know it was a Rick Roll.

I'm in the chat right now so I can see about talkin' the problem over with you in a bit.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:11 pm

Well, ladies and gentlemen, the update is finally here! I proudly present the latest addition to DragonBall GT: Revised! Behold, Chapter... Eight?

What is this madness?!
deviantART
[thread]

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:01 am

... What is this madness?
Oh, hey, plot! :D :D :D

[spoilers?]
Totally digging how you took the explanation for the evil dragons and tied it into the Black Stars, Kaboom!
XD tea :D
But of course, that begs the question: Are those awesome Namek chapters going the way of the Nappa? Ur... *recalls the Super17 saga* of the Raditz?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:19 am

Alrighty, folks. Are you ready for this? It's the moment that all twelve of you loyal readers have been waiting for. Long in coming, it's the "end-of-the-damn-Namek-story" update extravaganza!

I've got a whole crap-ton of stuff to post, painstakingly created and compiled over... oh, Dende only knows how long. There's so much that I've had to divide the update into three separate portions over THREE separate posts! I'm gonna post the first one immediately, so feel free to start indulging yourself and even commenting in the meantime while I'm slapping together the other two. Okay? Here we go!
PART ONE: STORY CONTENT
I'm sure some of you were possibly-maybe a little confused as to where all of the Namek mini-arc chapters went. Well, I'm going to keep myself in denial and assume that some of you might not have actually figured out that I developed special plans for it. What ARE those special plans, you ask in order to humor me? Well, I'm glad you asked! Seriously, thank you for asking!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present, now split off as its own separate side-story:
"DragonBall GT Revised: Cataclysm"
Mad props to Jacob (Yuugi's Black Magician) for inspiration for the name!
... And for you lazy types, here's a handy link straight to its new and final chapter! In the story's thrilling conclusion, the very planet shakes and is torn apart, almost as much from the after-effects of the Black Star Dragon Balls as the massive-scale battle that is unfolding within its capitol city! Will Slug get his just desserts from the Saiyans in the end? What will become of Shio and the Elders? Will the planet survive, much less anyone on it? What part does some dumb Zooga Bird play? It's all come down to this!

... What? You say that's not enough? You say the internet hates you and you hate it back? You say you want some handy, simple, offline way to read this story on your computer or mobile reader device of choice because you love it so much? FINE! Twist my arm, why don't you?!
There! I hope you're happy, jerks!

Now you just sit there and think about what you've done while I slap together the art-centric Part Two!
deviantART
[thread]