DragonBall GT Revised [fanfic]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Re: DragonBall GT Revised [fanfic]

Post by Kaboom » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:56 pm

Well, sorry to disappoint you guys, but aside from the possibly red eyes, Super Saiyan 4's general look in GTR will remain the same. Not only is it pretty iconic, but I also really, really like it. Thanks for the feedback anyway. Anxiously awaiting Saiga, CaBrPi, and SSJ YUSUKE's reactions to their prizes.

I don't have time right now, but I'll be posting the Koum sketches later tonight.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:14 pm

Kaboom wrote:Well, sorry to disappoint you guys, but aside from the possibly red eyes, Super Saiyan 4's general look in GTR will remain the same. Not only is it pretty iconic, but I also really, really like it. Thanks for the feedback anyway. Anxiously awaiting Saiga, CaBrPi, and SSJ YUSUKE's reactions to their prizes.

I don't have time right now, but I'll be posting the Koum sketches later tonight.
Would you mind experimenting with a SSJ4 with brown fur and red eyes? I think it would look interesting.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:00 pm

I think the SSJ4 looks fine. Red tail on red fur would look kind of boring anyway.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:27 pm

Insertclevername wrote:I think the SSJ4 looks fine. Red tail on red fur would look kind of boring anyway.
It annoys me honestly, but it's not my fanfiction.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:36 pm

I thought SSJ4 could have been designed better but overall I don't mind the design (aside from the magical pants). :)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:54 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:Would you mind experimenting with a SSJ4 with brown fur and red eyes? I think it would look interesting.
To be honest, not really. I've fiddled with the idea before, and it ended up just looking like a humanoid Oozaru, when it's meant to be more a combination of that and Super Saiyan.

I might end up coloring the tail a more dark reddish-brown instead of just brown, but my marker choices for SSj4 Vegeta here were a bit too limited for that. I also wonder if instead of straight-up red or yellow eyes, a mix of both for a more deep orange (like the aura) would work...
Maphisto86 wrote:I thought SSJ4 could have been designed better but overall I don't mind the design (aside from the magical pants). :)
I think I've mentioned it before, but I've figured out ways to write around the "magical pants" conundrum for GTR. :wink:

Anyways, here we go with this final batch of Koum art.

First off, I doodled some characters from Koum's past just for the purpose of this post. Here's King Mace and a younger Zatar, during their "glory days" working for Freeza. On that note, here's Mace getting all King Vegeta up 'n hurr and wearing Freeza armor which I'd imagine he would have done at some point. Then on a less manic and evil note, we've got the much-more-benevolent King Cinna and Queen Tarra, Regano and Prika's parents. Based on how youthful they ended up looking (and me not wanting to draw the Koumian royal garb AGAIN), you could probably assume these are of them in their younger days, before they were actually King and Queen.

There, those are done with. Now on to ye olde conceptual etchings.

{Old concept sketches for Regano} - First up is the "lovely princess." The page in the top left is the oldest design doodles I could find for Regano, possibly the oldest, period. I first thought up the general idea for him — that of a dashing young alien prince who wants Pan's hand in marriage in exchange for a Dragon Ball — something like 7-8 years ago, back when GTR as a personal project was still just a sparkle in my eye (depressing to think how long it's taken to get to that part in the story). If there was anything older than these, or anything transitional between that and the near-final look for his hair an' junk, then I couldn't find it.

Once his general look was decided upon, he never changed all that much. What DID change was the weapon he'd use. It started out being just a generic giant anime-hero sword, and transitioned through things like pikes and spears before I settled on something like a cross between a Japanese Naginata and the famous Vulcan "Lirpa." Kind of wish I'd come up with a name for the thing. Also included in the bottom middle spot is a cute little "what if" I doodled up at some point.

{Old concept sketches for Pan using the Kaio-Ken} - Yeah, I had this in mind for a LONG time, too. Our "knight in shining armor" who comes along to save the "princess. I'm not sure if the obviously oldest sketch in the top left was part of any planning for Koum, or just something I arbitrarily scribbled.

{Old concept sketches for Zatar} - Next we've got the "wicked royal stepmother grand visier" who ends up jealous of the young princess and plots his downfall for his own power-hungry ends. The headband-like markings on his forehead in the left page must mean it's from way back before I finalized the appearance of Koumians, like with the prior Regano page. Otherwise, his look didn't change much, aside from his beard getting longer and his muscular form ending up somewhat taller and lankier.

And yes, it's a total coincidence that his name is as similar to Aladdin's "Jafar" as their roles in their respective stories. :P

{Old concept sketches for Orris} - Now we come to the "fairy godmother guardian father figure" character who gives the young princess the power and confidence he needs to overcome his hurdles. In my original notes and plans, there was just an entry for one generic "Captain of the Guard" character who would discover Zatar's machinations too late to do anything about it. Similarly, Prika was thought up as a means for the bad guys to have Regano under their thumb, and Silva the nursemaid/caretaker subsequently was created to go along with Prika. I came up with the idea for Silva to also be Orris' wife, as well as for them to be trying for a kid of their own, practically last-minute.

Anyway, "Orris" didn't take long at all to design once I thought him up (nor did Prika and Silva), and his look changed very little. I'm not sure... did I ever come up with and post a more "final" look for his armor...?

{Old concept sketches for Quint} - Here we have the "demonic multi-headed dragon" which the wicked stepmother jerk vizier unleashes upon the heroes. Quint was something and someone else whom I thought up relatively late in the planning stages for Koum, only tentatively having a "pirate captain" in my notes for literally years. Once I started thinking more about Koum's setting and themes, and soon figured out I wanted to have Regano fight outnumbered against some sort of team, I eventually came up with the idea for clones. The rest just kind of flowed out of my brain from there.

Here's Another sheet for Quint, consisting of a rough height chart (adjusted for how big Bulk REALLY ended up), as well as something horrifying that I didn't want to draw but the perverts in the chat room forced me to anyway.

That about does it, I think! I'm still working things out for both the early-chapter rewrites and the eventual Chapter 18. The latter of which is a bit of a mess right now, but should end up really cool if I can work out the details. Both a new adaptation of another pretty cool GT villain (like I did with Redgic), and an opportunity for Piccolo to be badass as a preview for all his badassery that will come down the line in the Baby arc.
deviantART
[thread]

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am

Kaboom wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:Would you mind experimenting with a SSJ4 with brown fur and red eyes? I think it would look interesting.
To be honest, not really. I've fiddled with the idea before, and it ended up just looking like a humanoid Oozaru, when it's meant to be more a combination of that and Super Saiyan.

I might end up coloring the tail a more dark reddish-brown instead of just brown, but my marker choices for SSj4 Vegeta here were a bit too limited for that. I also wonder if instead of straight-up red or yellow eyes, a mix of both for a more deep orange (like the aura) would work...
Aw but if you took the brown fur and red eyes and just gave that a SSJ aura it would be an Oozaru mixed with the SSJ. Still your fanfic, your choice. Just throwin it out there.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:41 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
Kaboom wrote:

Aw but if you took the brown fur and red eyes and just gave that a SSJ aura it would be an Oozaru mixed with the SSJ. Still your fanfic, your choice. Just throwin it out there.
I'm quite satisfied with SSJ4, but if I choose an alternative I'd go with gold fur and black hair.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:56 am

Ooh, I picked a good time to come back from my short break.

The Nyresa artwork looks good. :thumbup: For some reason, I had a feeling that'd be the Dragon you chose. Where does the name come from?

And I didn't even notice the red-eyes/brown tail in Super Saiyan 4 until it was pointed out... I loved the tail wagging of Goku and Vegeta though. :lol:
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:12 am

Saiga wrote:The Nyresa artwork looks good. :thumbup: For some reason, I had a feeling that'd be the Dragon you chose. Where does the name come from?
It's a jumbled-up pun on the word "siren."

"Siren" (original word) --> "sa-i-re-n" (broken up as katakana syllables) --> "n-i-re-sa" (rearranged) --> "Nyresa" (pretty'd back up)

Which all in all MIGHT give you some hints as to her design motif and planned powers. ;)
deviantART
[thread]

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:15 am

Kaboom wrote:
Which all in all MIGHT give you some hints as to her design motif and planned powers. ;)
:think: SEWS?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:53 pm

Love it, Kaboom. Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you- finally got an internet connection at home earlier this evening.

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:19 am

So, whens the next chapter coming?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:08 pm

SSJ YUSUKE wrote:So, whens the next chapter coming?
ASAP. Life has been getting in the way lately.
deviantART
[thread]

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:45 pm

Kaboom wrote:
Don't set any dates, they never work out. Don't even say asap.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:45 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
Kaboom wrote:
Don't set any dates, they never work out. Don't even say asap.
Just ask George R. R. Martin.

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Post by Dr. Machismo » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:48 pm

So this is basically the same as Dragonball GT, except revised to remove any plotholes and inconsistencies?
The world's greatest.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:54 pm

Dr. Machismo wrote:So this is basically the same as Dragonball GT, except revised to remove any plotholes and inconsistencies?
I'd classify it more as a re-visioning of it. Some changes were made and some new characters and plots were added that don't necessarily "correct" anything but do make the story richer. It's still primarily the same story, just imagine if Kaboom was in charge of the story in 1996.

Well, not as a nine year old but you get the picture.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Post by Dr. Machismo » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:41 pm

Oh, then this is just not for me then. My problems with Dragonball GT isn't mainly the execution ... it's basically the main premise of it (the Shadow Dragons are undeniably a great concept, although they were executed poorly in GT)
Last edited by Dr. Machismo on Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
The world's greatest.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:25 am

GTR's unofficial tagline is "GT, minus the suck." It has and will continue to have the same broader plots, but with the details refined to both fit better as a follow-up to the original manga as well as make more sense within itself. So if you're looking for something more drastic, where the characters and events are totally different to the point where it's not really GT anymore... yeah, probably not for you.

Anyway, having the thread bumped was a good mental kick in the butt, and my writing pace has picked back up again. Hopefully I can keep the momentum going and get this mofo finished soon.

In the meanwhile, anyone have any bonus content they'd like to see me fill the gaps with? Anyone maybe have ideas for another mini contest where the winner gets a spoilery drawing?
deviantART
[thread]