DragonBall GT Revised [fanfic]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Re: DragonBall GT Revised [fanfic]

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:13 am

Can't wait dude, this fanfic is amazing.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:23 pm

Do a Dende profile. :D

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:40 pm

I think it's more than just GT minus the suck, because I am one of the people who think GT's premise is really really shitty as well as the execution. And yet, I really enjoy GTR.

AND I don't even particularly like fanfics either. So I think it's worth giving it a read before you decide anything.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Post by Dr. Machismo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:56 am

Some ideas though:
-Make Goku Jr's personality more like Goku's when he Goku was a kid in Dragonball.
-Don't make Pan some short, seemingly unfit lady as a grandmother like how she did a the end of GT. Make her height and physique be the same as Chi-Chi's (The old lady in this fanart would be good for an older Pan):
And don't go 100 years after Omega Shenron's defeat, but just make Pan in her 70s-80s.
The world's greatest.

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:21 pm

I somehow doubt Goku Jr. will be making more than a cameo appearance, and that won't be for another few hundred years. :P

And Kaboom's portrayal of Pan is already leagues better than it was in the series.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:58 pm

CaBrPi wrote:And Kaboom's portrayal of Pan is already leagues better than it was in the series.
Agreed, and this is coming from someone that actually likes her attitude in the series as it was. :P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:43 pm

Hate to double post, but it's been over a week since the last one, and I actually have something to add here other than banter for once, as I actually just got done re-reading the earlier parts of this yesterday, and then the last three chapters that I hadn't read yet this morning. I've had them on hand forever now but hadn't read them yet; I am a bad, bad fanfic follower. :cry:

Anyway, I really enjoyed the Koum arc. It was a fun little diversion from the established-from-GT stuff, and it gave some good focus to Pan, who still remains one of my favorite characters. It was also good to see that you can handle original stuff in your fanfiction as well as the re-writing GT stuff, Kaboom - not that I had any doubts, mind you, but it still flowed even better than I expected, so double kudos to you.

So now I eagerly await the next chapter. That I will hopefully read sooner rather than many months down the line like I did this last time...
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Revolution
Beyond Newbie

Post by Revolution » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:17 pm

I absolutely love this!! It really makes me feel like I'm reading a DragonBall story and not the drivel that came with the standard GT! You can tell that you really know your stuff! Well done!
Frieza?! .. You fool!!!!!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:48 am

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I'm really sorry it's (again) gone so long without an update, but in addition to life getting in the way (a lot of projects to be done at home, plus now I have a job that takes up a good chunk of my week), these early-chapter rewrites are proving more challenging than I expected. Even though only a few chapters will be drastically changed, there's a lot of more subtle under-the-hood details that are ending up a headache to keep track of. I hope to crank out the "re-revised" chapter one within the next few weeks, but if the others look like they'll take even half as long as this first one is, then I may try to put out the next "back on Earth" filler chapter before them.

In the meanwhile, the suggestion box is still open for any side-material you guys might want to see to fill the gaps. Character designs sketches, bios, and what-not. Maybe sketchy drawings of characters or events we've already seen? Anything you think you'd like to see that I could easily whip up in a single afternoon at most (or perhaps even have already and only need to scan) and wouldn't be too spoilery. Do I remember reading a request for a Dende character profile?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:54 am

Yup! That was me. I'd really like to see more profiles for the minor characters, like Chi-Chi, Bulma, Dende, Mr. Popo, etc. Mostly to see them in your art style, but also to see how you'd rank Chi-Chi, Dende, etc., in terms of power levels.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:51 pm

So what's happening?
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:52 am

I don't mean to bump since this is on the second page, but now I noticed I never put in the request I wanted to when I first read Kaboom's last post. >.<

I was curious about Erasa and Sharpner's designs, if you've done GT ones for them. Love me some high school era characters.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:11 pm

It's just so cruel... I see the thread bumped and I'm immediately hoping for a new post by Kaboom. And.. nothing.
/unhappiness

My request would be to see a manga-style drawing of all the three sets of Dragon Balls together with their respective dragons :) I know it's only slightly GTR-related but I'd like to know how to show the difference between red and black stars in a manga (i.e. black and white) drawing.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:04 pm

Update Update Update Update Update Update Update Update Update Update Update Update (I don't mean chapter...just some news)

We could use one.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:58 am

Tzigi wrote:It's just so cruel... I see the thread bumped and I'm immediately hoping for a new post by Kaboom. And.. nothing.
/unhappiness
Aha sorry, I really didn't think of that before I posted.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:30 pm

Well this is awkward. Now the last post will be from me and potentially disappoint other people.

Anyway, to give a progress update... I haven't abandoned the fanfic or anything. Never. But life's been getting in the way of writing, really. Personal problems, work, good ol' fashioned writer's block, more work, getting in over my head with the early-chapter rewrites... Might sound like excuses, but that's the gist of it.

I'm hoping to have at least one new chapter finished and wrapped up with a shiny bow for Christmas, but now I've probably jinxed it.

I'll try to at least take on all the aforementioned art requests.
deviantART
[thread]

Revolution
Beyond Newbie

Post by Revolution » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:40 pm

Kaboom wrote:Well this is awkward. Now the last post will be from me and potentially disappoint other people.

Anyway, to give a progress update... I haven't abandoned the fanfic or anything. Never. But life's been getting in the way of writing, really. Personal problems, work, good ol' fashioned writer's block, more work, getting in over my head with the early-chapter rewrites... Might sound like excuses, but that's the gist of it.

I'm hoping to have at least one new chapter finished and wrapped up with a shiny bow for Christmas, but now I've probably jinxed it.

I'll try to at least take on all the aforementioned art requests.

Your vtake on GT is pretty awesome so.. you take your time I say! It'll be worth the wait! :)
Frieza?! .. You fool!!!!!

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:47 am

There hasn't been any activity on this thread for a while so I'll just bump this up.
By the way this may seem delayed but I loved that Rildo drawing you did.
Whether we will ever get to that part of the story anytime soon is in doubt, but take as much time as you need to.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:57 pm

Hate to bump either but it is worth checking into this thread every once and awhile. I still enjoy reading over Kaboom's author notes while re-reading chapters of this awesome fan fiction. As much as it pains the Dragon Ball fan inside me I can fully appreciate the writer's block and the whole life getting in the way. It is inevitable but I hope this story can eventually be completed. :D Though it is ambitious if covering the whole series. :crazy: Still rooting for this fan fiction dear author no matter how long it takes! :thumbup:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:08 pm

... So, then.

DENDE

Alignment: Neutral Good
Race: Namekian (Dragon-type)
Battle Power: ~5,000
Home: Planet Earth (Originally from Old Planet Namek)
Occupation: God of Planet Earth, keeper of Earth's Dragon Balls.
Family: Piccolo and 99% of the population of New Planet Namek ("Brothers")
Goals: To be a benevolent and wise caretaker of Planet Earth.

BIOGRAPHY:

Young Dende first met our heroes during their escapade to Planet Namek after Vegeta and Nappa's invasion of Earth. Despite his very young age and lack of fighting skills, Dende's knowledge, courage, and of course his healing abilities were all invaluable to his new friends in their efforts to steal away Namek's Dragon Balls from the wicked Freeza. Dende was killed by Freeza shortly before facing off against Son Goku, but thanks to the Dragon Balls Dende was revived along with all of Freeza and his troop's other victims as part of a plan to evacuate the planet. After the crisis was over, Dende and his fellow Namekians remained on Earth for some time, until a new Namek was created for them.

A few years later, when Earth was terrorized by the monstrous Cell, Dende was brought back at the request of Goku after Earth's prior god re-merged with Piccolo, leaving the job open. Dende adapted to the position quite quickly and admirably, and as a prodigy of the Dragon Clan, he was able to restore the inert Earth Dragon Balls. Ever since then, Dende has remained a faithful and responsible god for Earth, and is always ready to help his powerful friends in any way he can during a crisis.

--------
There we go, that's your Dende character bio. Not much to say about him... yet. He'll do some important things later on in GTR, and some things will also happen TO him, but to go into any detail would be spoilery. His role in the rewrites are going to be tweaked somewhat, as well. Speaking of which...

After I-don't-even-wanna-think-about-it many long months, GTR Revised "Chapter One Redux" is finally complete. It measures in at "only" 14 pages, about half of most later ones. Even with the changes I've made, there's only so much I can add or embellish to something that was originally so freakin' short. Not that chapter length in itself is the priority, of course, but adding a little more "meat" to these bare-bones early chapters (especially chapter one, here) was one of the goals.

As for WHY such a relatively short chapter took so long, you guys totally 100% deserve a freakin' explanation. I started GTR literally years ago. At least five years now. In the time since I've started, a LOT of my plans have changed. There's some stuff in these early chapters that are no longer a thing and are useless and better off removed. There's some things in later chapters that could stand being alluded to and hinted at. I've also had to make a lot of decisions in terms of consistent names, titles, formats, and general style. Every time I figured something out, two more things it affected would pop up. See where I'm going with this? It was less about writing THIS chapter specifically, and more about making sure I had everything necessary for the chapters AFTER it sorted out.

But that's all done now. I've made all the necessary decisions and have solid plans for the remaining rewrites from here on out. To reiterate, only the first five or so chapters will see mega-drastic changes and likely be rewritten entirely. The remaining Volume 1 chapters and a few here and there in Volume 2 will have things tweaked, have scenes removed and/or replaced, and stuff like that. The full-rewrites will take time to pull off, but the changes to later chapters should be a breeze. Also, I've decided I'm not going to post the rewrite chapters to FanFiction.net until they're ALL done (or at least the Vol 1 chapters are), for the sake of consistency. If any new readers come along, they'd be mega-confused by what's changed in Chapter 1 clashing with other chapters. So for the time being, I might just put the rewrites on Google docs or something for online reading, while of course providing PDFs for offline.

That said, I'm not gonna post this just-completed "new" chapter just yet. Even though I've explained what the problem was, I've made y'all wait too damn long to post JUST a short rewrite. Fortunately, that's not all I've got up my sleeves. Chapter 18, another fun side-story set (partially) back on Earth, has also been in the works for most of this time, and I aim to also get it finished up within the next few weeks. Then I'll post both chapters at once, along with all the usual smattering of bonus goodies, around the end of the month.

IF, however, in another week or two I can tell that won't happen (and it will be obvious to me if it can't), then I won't wait. I'll get "Chapter 1R" published mid-month (for Valentine's Day, maybe?), and maybe whip up one or two extra art pieces to make it more worth it.

So that's it. Fingers crossed, let's see if I can grind off the rust and get this project going at full steam again.
deviantART
[thread]