So has Freeza become "The Joker" of the Dragonball franchise

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Toxin45
Regular

Re: So has Freeza become "The Joker" of the Dragonball franchise

Post by Toxin45 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:41 pm

sintzu wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:
Weejus wrote:Just reading that sentence made me wince. Prefacing this by saying that Freeza is potentially my favourite character, I sincerely hope this is not the case. I don't want Freeza to become an active part of Goku's life because I don't see further conflict between the two benefiting the overall narrative in any way.
It will because the upcoming movie is about the Saiyans.
Which in itself doesn't benefit the overall narrative of DB. I wish they'd hurry up and give us the full picture of what this movie is going to be about as I'm woriied it'll be like RF where it doesn't add anything new or interesting to the lore. We will have waited nearly 4 years for it by the time December comes around and it's clearly taking priority over new concepts so I really hope it's as deep and interesting as the people working on it mad it out to be.
Well it will it is after the tournament of power with a new villain and will focus on the history of the Saiyans and Frieza.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon May 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Toxin45 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Toxin45 wrote: It will because the upcoming movie is about the Saiyans.
Which in itself doesn't benefit the overall narrative of DB. I wish they'd hurry up and give us the full picture of what this movie is going to be about as I'm woriied it'll be like RF where it doesn't add anything new or interesting to the lore. We will have waited nearly 4 years for it by the time December comes around and it's clearly taking priority over new concepts so I really hope it's as deep and interesting as the people working on it mad it out to be.
Well it will it is after the tournament of power with a new villain and will focus on the history of the Saiyans and Frieza.
I'm saying does DB need another saiyan focused story with all the new concepts it's introduced.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:49 pm

sintzu wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
I'm saying does DB need another saiyan focused story with all the new concepts it's introduced.
New concepts like multiverse travel goku dosen't have a personal connection to most of the universes dude besides we could see universe 11 and planet salada of universe 6. What would be the point of goku and the others traveling the multiverse I could only see universe 6 and 11 with 2 wanting goku and the gang to go there cause of a tuffle and yardart while universe 6 has the Saiyans,hit,namekians,and frost.Also what would be the point of going to universe 4? Universe 10's Zamasu had focus on the future trunks arc and that was when gowasu was important.

Kefla
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kefla » Fri May 18, 2018 1:34 am

Goku pretty much needs Frieza, how long before they share a joke together.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 18, 2018 5:36 am

Kefla wrote:Goku pretty much needs Frieza, how long before they share a joke together.
Killing Joke reference?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:49 pm

Honestly to me it's seemed like Freeza has always been "the villain". His presence stretched pretty much across the whole story, even backwards. He was part of the reason Goku got sent to Earth, he's mentioned in Movie 3, his return is what leads into the Cell arc, he got given a brother who appeared in two movies. In Movie 12 they have him front and centre as the leader of all the villains escaping from hell, he was given a son in Neko Majin. And most people already considered him the main villain of DBZ to begin with; if you asked some random person below the age of 34 "Who is the bad guy in DBZ?' you would probably get "Freeza" as an answer if they ever watched the series .

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat May 26, 2018 10:01 pm

ringworm128 wrote:Honestly to me it's seemed like Freeza has always been "the villain". His presence stretched pretty much across the whole story, even backwards. He was part of the reason Goku got sent to Earth, he's mentioned in Movie 3, his return is what leads into the Cell arc, he got given a brother who appeared in two movies. In Movie 12 they have him front and centre as the leader of all the villains escaping from hell, he was given a son in Neko Majin. And most people already considered him the main villain of DBZ to begin with; if you asked some random person below the age of 34 "Who is the bad guy in DBZ?' you would probably get "Freeza" as an answer if they ever watched the series .
Then super happen and appeared in two arcs one of which was a retelling and the other was when he was a token evil teamate.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat May 26, 2018 10:08 pm

Well yeah. As I stated he's always been the recurring villain of the series so it makes sense that when Toei decided to bring back a major villain for their BOG sequel they chose Freeza instead of Cell or Buu.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:19 pm

ringworm128 wrote:Well yeah. As I stated he's always been the recurring villain of the series so it makes sense that when Toei decided to bring back a major villain for their BOG sequel they chose Freeza instead of Cell or Buu.
Yeah and him showing again in the tournament of power as the only villain was unique to say the least. Also poor cell

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:30 pm

Toxin45 wrote:
ringworm128 wrote:Well yeah. As I stated he's always been the recurring villain of the series so it makes sense that when Toei decided to bring back a major villain for their BOG sequel they chose Freeza instead of Cell or Buu.
Yeah and him showing again in the tournament of power as the only villain was unique to say the least. Also poor cell
There's really no way Cell could have returned without it seeming forced. Freeza had an army of possibly billions of loyal men, with many high ranking elites. It makes sense someone would want to bring him back. With Cell how would he even come back?

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:56 pm

ringworm128 wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:
There's really no way Cell could have returned without it seeming forced. Freeza had an army of possibly billions of loyal men, with many high ranking elites. It makes sense someone would want to bring him back. With Cell how would he even come back?
Good point.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 27, 2018 6:12 am

ringworm128 wrote:Honestly to me it's seemed like Freeza has always been "the villain". His presence stretched pretty much across the whole story, even backwards. He was part of the reason Goku got sent to Earth, he's mentioned in Movie 3, his return is what leads into the Cell arc, he got given a brother who appeared in two movies. In Movie 12 they have him front and centre as the leader of all the villains escaping from hell, he was given a son in Neko Majin. And most people already considered him the main villain of DBZ to begin with; if you asked some random person below the age of 34 "Who is the bad guy in DBZ?' you would probably get "Freeza" as an answer if they ever watched the series .
I don't know why anyone would consider him the main villain. He's A villain, but DB has never had a main villain. If the answer to people on the streets is Freeza, then either they've never watched the show, and if they did, they don't get it. DB has a series of big bads, that's it.

In all the examples you give of times Freeza is brought back, he is easily squashed. Trunks kills him like he's nothing. In movie 12, Gohan defeats him even more easily.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:55 am

ABED wrote:
I don't know why anyone would consider him the main villain. He's A villain, but DB has never had a main villain. If the answer to people on the streets is Freeza, then either they've never watched the show, and if they did, they don't get it. DB has a series of big bads, that's it.

In all the examples you give of times Freeza is brought back, he is easily squashed. Trunks kills him like he's nothing. In movie 12, Gohan defeats him even more easily.
Now he appears in dragon ball super so yeah he is the villain of the franchise dude. Bsacisly he wasn't as easily beaten in ressurection f and it's retelling in super and later shows up in the universal survival arc where he alongside goku,vegeta,Gohan,and android 17 against toppo,dysprosium,and Jiren after which goku and Frieza elimate Jiren at the end with Frieza getting his life back and rebuilding his empire he mastered his golden form and trained mentally. Since he was the main villain twice that tecnically makes the main villain of the entire franchise.