Lack of females characters in Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bruma rabu
Regular

Re: Lack of females characters in Dragon Ball

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:04 pm

ABED wrote:I get your point, I'm saying there is a reason to learn to fight. Even if Goku defeated Piccolo, he BARELY survived both encounters. Also, given the world they live in and just there immediate surroundings on Mt. Paoz, it is a good idea to teach Gohan how to defend himself. Then there's the positive benefits of a healthy body. There's no downside in teaching him martial arts. He can do both. Instead, Chichi's reaction is one of the reasons I don't like her - it's exaggerated to the point of caricature.

I don't know what your last sentence means. It's logically incoherent. If Mr. Satan couldn't return how was he kept in the story?
Was working while I typed that. What I ment was Toriyama could of easily keep him out completely after the cell arc. He didn't have to return.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:50 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
ABED wrote:I get your point, I'm saying there is a reason to learn to fight. Even if Goku defeated Piccolo, he BARELY survived both encounters. Also, given the world they live in and just there immediate surroundings on Mt. Paoz, it is a good idea to teach Gohan how to defend himself. Then there's the positive benefits of a healthy body. There's no downside in teaching him martial arts. He can do both. Instead, Chichi's reaction is one of the reasons I don't like her - it's exaggerated to the point of caricature.

I don't know what your last sentence means. It's logically incoherent. If Mr. Satan couldn't return how was he kept in the story?
Was working while I typed that. What I ment was Toriyama could of easily keep him out completely after the cell arc. He didn't have to return.
But he did, so what's your point? He could've kept him out of the story but he didn't because he felt there was more to do with the character and he was right. He did A LOT more with Mr. Satan. I'm not sure what you're trying to point out.

Anyway, can we get back to the female characters?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:47 pm

ABED wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:

But he did, so what's your point? He could've kept him out of the story but he didn't because he felt there was more to do with the character and he was right. He did A LOT more with Mr. Satan. I'm not sure what you're trying to point out.

Anyway, can we get back to the female characters?
That y'all wanted to get rid of 18 cause she's just Kuririn wife.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:49 pm

Bruma rabu wrote: That y'all wanted to get rid of 18 cause she's just Kuririn wife.
Literally no one said that.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:58 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote: That y'all wanted to get rid of 18 cause she's just Kuririn wife.
Literally no one said that.
ABED wrote:If you have nothing else to do for them, then write them out.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:05 pm

Stating Toriyama shouldn’t have kept a character he had no idea what to do with other than being a wife=/= wanting to get rid of a character on the basis that she is another character’s wife.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Stating Toriyama shouldn’t have kept a character he had no idea what to do with other than being a wife=/= wanting to get rid of a character on the basis that she is another character’s wife.
This. The obvious inference from my statement is that either Toriyama gives her something to do or he writes her out. At no point did I write or even imply that he should write a female character out of his story BECAUSE she is a wife.

As little as it is, giving Tenshinhan's moment to 18 would've been preferable.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:15 pm

It seemd to me like y'all didn't like the fact that Toriyama had left her as only kururin wife. And I interpret that as it would of been better to just not use her at all than to make her just his wife.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:16 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:It seemd to me like y'all didn't like the fact that Toriyama had left her as only kururin wife. And I interpret that as it would of been better to just not use her at all than to make her just his wife.
Just being the operative word. I'm not against her being Kuririn's wife. What I don't like is that being the extent of her involvement. Granted, she played a role in the tournament, but nothing else after that beyond cannon fodder.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:23 pm

ABED wrote:. Granted, she played a role in the tournament, but nothing else after that beyond cannon fodder.
And she doesn’t even come to collect her cash in the main timeline. It was just an excuse to keep Mr.Satan the planet’s champion.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:23 pm

ABED wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:It seemd to me like y'all didn't like the fact that Toriyama had left her as only kururin wife. And I interpret that as it would of been better to just not use her at all than to make her just his wife.
Just being the operative word. I'm not against her being Kuririn's wife. What I don't like is that being the extent of her involvement. Granted, she played a role in the tournament, but nothing else after that beyond cannon fodder.
What's wrong with that?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:26 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
ABED wrote:
What's wrong with that?
Making a female character a reward “or a waifu” for a male character is tired, cliche writing?

She can be Kurilin’s wife and her own character. Her entire function post-Cell is “Well Kurilin is a nice guy and deserves a wife so here’s a female for him”

This has kind of been mine (and I think Abed’s) point in regards to the topic of this thread. Dragon Ball doesn’t need MORE female characters it needs to do BETTER

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:32 pm

Bingo.

While I wish Lunch had been given an actual ending, writing her out was the right idea. Toriyama wasn't doing anything with her, so why keep her around?

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:44 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:
ABED wrote: Just being the operative word. I'm not against her being Kuririn's wife. What I don't like is that being the extent of her involvement. Granted, she played a role in the tournament, but nothing else after that beyond cannon fodder.
What's wrong with that?
Making a female character a reward “or a waifu” for a male character is tired, cliche writing?

She can be Kurilin’s wife and her own character. Her entire function post-Cell is “Well Kurilin is a nice guy and deserves a wife so here’s a female for him”

This has kind of been mine (and I think Abed’s) point in regards to the topic of this thread. Dragon Ball doesn’t need MORE female characters it needs to do BETTER
Maybe it's cause I just can't objectify women like that but I think the series does enough with her to show that she more than just kururin wife. She's a stoic woman with a no nonsense attiduted that loves the family she and kururin built together. She participated in a tournament and won after that she help save her entire reality.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:50 pm

She doesn't win the tournament. She agrees to let a liar win in order to make money, but we never see her collect. I don't see her doing much beyond being Kuririn's wife. How does she help save the world beyond be one of the millions that give Goku her energy for the Genki Dama?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:56 pm

#18 is always good for some gags or the random battle.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:59 pm

ABED wrote:She doesn't win the tournament. She agrees to let a liar win in order to make money, but we never see her collect. I don't see her doing much beyond being Kuririn's wife. How does she help save the world beyond be one of the millions that give Goku her energy for the Genki Dama?
You're right she didnt win but she got a lot more money for coming in second. Knowing how she is, she got her money. She fought in the tournament of power and made it pretty far in it. She had some pretty cool moments in that arc looking back. Her fight with ribrianne was real good. I think this is pretty good considering she not even a central character.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:11 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
ABED wrote:She doesn't win the tournament. She agrees to let a liar win in order to make money, but we never see her collect. I don't see her doing much beyond being Kuririn's wife. How does she help save the world beyond be one of the millions that give Goku her energy for the Genki Dama?
You're right she didnt win but she got a lot more money for coming in second. Knowing how she is, she got her money. She fought in the tournament of power and made it pretty far in it. She had some pretty cool moments in that arc looking back. Her fight with ribrianne was real good. I think this is pretty good considering she not even a central character.
She probably did, but apparently it wasn't a story important enough to follow up on in any way.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:19 pm

ABED wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:
She probably did, but apparently it wasn't a story important enough to follow up on in any way.
Yeah considering what was happening during all that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:29 pm

Which proves that she doesn't do anything important.