Does Goku give you the warm feels?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Does Goku give you the warm feels?

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:57 pm

Possible phrasing issue :lol:

Anyway by this I mean does he have that same special power on you that he has on his friends? That special power being his charming personality, and how you somehow just got to love the guy. Even if he does really stupid or selfish things, somehow everyone falls for him. Bulma, Oolong, Krillin, Late Vegeta, Piccolo, and several others get mad at Goku, but them succumb to his charm. He has this weird charm to him kinda like the one you might feel when you're around some really old person who deeply cares for you (Like a grandmother). Goku kinda brings smiles to peoples faces just from his laid back personality and laughter. I'm not sure if I've really seen this kind of case before. You could point out at times where he could have just prevented dangers or threats from happening, but then his happy go lucky aura just rubs off on some. Kinda like his friends, some of us just let go of things Goku should have really done, and just accept the man child for who he is.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: Does Goku give you the warm feels?

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:08 pm

I wouldn't say he gives me ''warm feels'' :P BUT! He's the one cartoon character that If I could bring to life and actually get to talk to him I would. It's hard to put this into words without sounding silly, but Goku was a father figure in my life.(Hard to imagine right? a cartoon character...a father figure?) But it's true. and again as silly as it sounds I would love to live in the real Dragonball world. I'd just chill out around Master Roshi's all day. haha
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:44 pm

*Points to her avatar.* Many warm feelings. Gokû triple-whammied in BOG (that light blue sweatsuit, all the desu, and adorable ssjg mode's looks.) Cute/charming character. I don't know how he could possibly top himself in F, but I want to see him try.

So hoping for some silly antics early on between him and his classmate. X3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lumos

Post by Lumos » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:29 pm

Kind of in the sense that I think he's a reassuring presence within the show. The world certainly feels a hell'uva lot safer with him around, even if the man himself might not agree!
The Eleventh Doctor wrote:The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things or make them unimportant.
Homer Simpson wrote:'STEALING! How could you? Why do you think I took you to see all those Police Academy movies, FOR FUN? I DIDN'T HEAR ANYONE LAUGHING, DID YOU?'

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:29 pm

Yeah. I love Goku. :P His hilariously unintentional insensitive attitude, as well as his warm and gentle nature and constantly forgiving attitude makes him a perfect uncle. If only he had social skills, he'd be the perfect husband. :lol:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:57 pm

He's not my favorite character - *points to avatar* :P - but I'd be lying if Goku's charm wasn't totally still there. There's just something about the guy you gotta love, even when he does something stupid or you side with everyone else about how exasperating he would be to deal with. It's the same way in any debate about his character, at least for me. At the end of the day, Goku is...Goku.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:12 pm

not trying to change the subject but did it make everyone happy when Goku went to go get his drivers licence? that was such a great moment. I could sit around and laugh about that forever.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:18 pm

Kid Goku, yes, not so much adult Goku.

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:37 pm

That's what makes Goku such a great character. He's unconventional due to his Saiyan nature (His love to fight) but cares for the planet due to his up bringing (wants to protect it). I think a part of his charm is how brutally honest he is at all times. e.g admitting that he can't beat Cell while acting laid back to not get anyone worried, admitting sparing Vegeta was wrong and admitting Gohan is a better person than him. Top that with his simple minded nature and you have the icing on the cake for an irresistible charm.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:22 am

Yes, absolutely. That's the reason people love the character and the reason he always remains relevant in people's minds, you just can not help but like him.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:05 am

Does heartburn count?

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:40 pm

Honestly? Yeah. Dude has a draw to him, heck the guy was my hero when I was a kid and first watching the show! These days he stands as a reminder, even if crud is going off the rails, you can keep smiling.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Ashelia
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ashelia » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:51 pm

I'm 50/50. When I start to think beyond how totes adorbs he is I get a bit angry as his oblivious demeanor and seemingly outright refusal to think beyond the next fight is frustrating. But in the end he's like a puppy, no matter what he does wrong you can't stay mad at him for too long even if you should.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:04 pm

Rocketman wrote:Does heartburn count?
Oh, you... :)

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:47 pm

Yes he does, he's my favorite fictional character. It's because he's so unique in his approach to enemies and his cheerful nature. He let Vegeta live so he can fight him again, like, who in their right mind would do that? The fact that he loves the challenge and treats it like a game makes him even more unique. He's just Goku, that's who he is.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:39 pm

Goku is a bigger shithead than the Greek Gods. It makes him interesting to watch, but it certainly doesn't make him wuvable.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:56 pm

Rocketman wrote:Goku is a bigger shithead than the Greek Gods. It makes him interesting to watch, but it certainly doesn't make him wuvable.
Which Greek God does Goku remind you of the most?

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:11 pm

Goku made me approach certain things in life differently. Accept every challenge (to a degree lol). Failure means you have to step your game up and try again. Work hard to compete with the "elites". I mean you can hear stuff like this pretty much anywhere, but from him it stuck with me. He'd be a good gym buddy for sure lol.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:33 am

samuraix123 wrote:I wouldn't say he gives me ''warm feels'' :P BUT! He's the one cartoon character that If I could bring to life and actually get to talk to him I would. It's hard to put this into words without sounding silly, but Goku was a father figure in my life.(Hard to imagine right? a cartoon character...a father figure?) But it's true. and again as silly as it sounds I would love to live in the real Dragonball world. I'd just chill out around Master Roshi's all day. haha
I feel the same way. My father was never there for me and passed away while I was still a teen. In fiction, I found Goku as a father figure of sorts and got me into training and lifting weights.

Weights are my passion along with drawing, thanks to Goku again for his cool look. I love drawing Goku.

But yeah, I've been in the gym since I was 16, now I'm 20. DBZ and Goku does that to people it seems.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:23 am

He sure does.

There's something about his personality. His perseverance. He'll take on any challenge, he'll smile in the face of defeat... and yet he finds a way to succeed no matter what. He always finds a way. That's inspiring. Remember in life to go that extra 10% nobody else is willing to go... it doesn't mean you won't suffer hardships but you'll be that much more likely to succeed. Having someone like that in real life would be great. A friend you can always count on, someone that makes you feel like everything will work out somehow. Not just through his actions but his demeanor. This is why he is my favorite character.