Dragonball Evolution - SPOILERS Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

tarrin4ever

Post by tarrin4ever » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:45 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:
Also, was the story steeped in a sort of mystical world like Dragonball, or were they already alluding to the sci-fi elements that would eventually have been revealed in DBZ?
I answered your first question in the other thread.

As for this, the story occurs in our world.

During the opening monologue, there's a crystal clear shot of South America.

What a way to start the movie.

They left plenty of room for Sci-Fi elements though.
Thanks Greg. I left my rage fueled response back in the other thread. I'd move it over here, but by the time I do that it'll probably get a response anyway. I'll try and keep it all over here from now on.

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:46 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:
In the movie, Chatku crosses his arms over his chest in an X, then holds his hands at his chest to charge it up. Seeing as we're in a spoiler thread, I don't mind posting to the link.
And did you know Kame Hame Ha can be used to resuscitate people? Yes, Roshi fires a Kame Hame Ha into Goku's chest to revive him.
When this happens, I'll be the guy in the theater yelling like the stereotypical African American.

"Get up Goku! Get up Goku! Get the fuck up! That old turtle fool gonna blast a hole in yo ass!........ Oh what the fuck, that shit ain't supposed to heal yo ass, you should be a dead motherfucker!"

No, really though, this movie is going to make me shed tears of sadness.:cry:

.....I'm not racist either, I'm 50% African American, not like that really matters since someone can be racist towards their own race, but I felt it was necessary to point that out before anyone tells me that I discriminate other races. I am sexist though. I love women! They're quite sexy.

Someone post links to any ending clips if you find any.
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:47 pm

Yes they call it ki from the opening moments. The concept of bending air is a slipshod explanation they make to help non fans understand the kind of things it can do. It's not something to dwell on.

Cypher
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cypher » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:48 pm

Good, perhaps I WON'T vomit throughout the movie then.
Perhaps.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:49 pm

Cypher wrote:Good, perhaps I WON'T vomit throughout the movie then.
Perhaps.
Now imagine that is DBE's way of explaining what Ki is, like Phantom Menace tried explaining what "The Force" is.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:50 pm

So what, it's more like movie-Ki kinda imitates the elements? Not that it IS the elements themselves?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Cypher
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cypher » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:52 pm

Fuck, even saying the Kamehameha is the result of midichlorians is better than 'airbending' (which seems to remind me of some kids' show?)

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:55 pm

Krakabeast wrote:When this happens, I'll be the guy in the theater yelling like the stereotypical African American.
Speaking of which, how long was Ernie Hudson in this film?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:56 pm

Or controls the elements maybe?

People always rag on Star Wars episode I for ruining the Force, but it doesn't really. All he said was there are these things present in all living things that are a natural part of life and connect you to the Force. They don't create it, that's ridiculous. How would tiny cells produce enough energy to fire lightning or lift X-wings into the air?

I mean, robots don't have ki in Dragon Ball. Why? Because they're not alive. So you need living cells to have ki, I guess? So why is it such a problem that you need a specific kind of cell to be Force sensitive??

Edit:
Cypher wrote:Fuck, even saying the Kamehameha is the result of midichlorians is better than 'airbending' (which seems to remind me of some kids' show?)
What's wrong with airbending? It's using your ki to control the air. Goku even did it in a filler if you think about it (blew the ogre out of the wrestling ring in Hell).

Cypher
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cypher » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:01 pm

Well, I certainly see your point about the fact that, through manipulating your ki, you can move the air; it's just the buzzword 'airbending' sounds a bit corny to me...I'm not too bothered though, just picking for the sake of it to be honest ^^' I still have to see the movie before I have an actual opinion, I'm just going from what I hear.

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:01 pm

Bussani wrote:Goku even did it in a filler if you think about it (blew the ogre out of the wrestling ring in Hell).
I believe that was just Goku using his ridiculous strength to create a wind to blow the oni away. No ki involved.

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:04 pm

Bussani wrote:I mean, robots don't have ki in Dragon Ball. Why? Because they're not alive. So you need living cells to have ki, I guess?
Sigma Force? Dragon Ball GT? Didn't they use ki? I mean, not like it really matters. :)
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:12 pm

Krakabeast wrote:Sigma Force?
They were described as "Machine Mutants." Leads me to believe Dr. Myu's experiments were possibly the opposite in concept of Dr. Gero's. Instead of creating artificial sources for ki, he worked on ways to embed or allow machines to channel natural ki.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:12 pm

Tsukento wrote:
omegacwa wrote:Who the fuck cares. Honestly...

would you have preferred Kamayamayah! Hmmm, would you? Or how about KamiHamiHeh!

Saying it the way the English dub of the anime said it is fine, as long as it isn't the ocean dub.
That's...pretty damn stupid, if you ask me. Saying it incorrect is fine, as long as it's not one dub's incorrect way?

What?

The difference in KA MAY HA MAY HA and KA MEH HA MEH HA is almost negligible. I have posted clips in other threads proving this, with Masako Nozawa and Sean Schemmel side by side saying it practically the same. I am not going to do it again.

Now, saying KAMAYA MAYAH! Is just flat out wrong. That's what I meant, get it.... :?

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:35 pm

Speaking of which, how long was Ernie Hudson in this film?
Winston had a nice chunk of film. He did a cool job with the role just uh...I was left wondering what/who the fuck he was supposed to be. Either my ears deceived me when I thought they called him something other than Mutaito, or they just said it reeeeeeally oddly.

I have to go do grownup things now but I'll just say this, if you're a DB fan, it's practically your duty to go see the movie.

"Bu...Wha...You just said-"

I know what I said. It's a terrible film. See it, decide whether it's as bad as I've described and form your own opinion.

Regardless of what I thought of it I was excited as fuck to see it. It's something I never thought possible. And while it was still terrible, I made sure not to go into it with any assumptions good or bad. And came out the same person I went in. It was just one interpretation of a story we all know very well and it doesn't detract anything from the original.

I just wish movie tickets weren't equivalent to 17-damn-dollars over here.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:36 pm

Brad Redfield wrote:
Bussani wrote:Goku even did it in a filler if you think about it (blew the ogre out of the wrestling ring in Hell).
I believe that was just Goku using his ridiculous strength to create a wind to blow the oni away. No ki involved.
Yeah, that makes way more sense. [/sarcasm]

It ki can lift rocks, make water flow up and send people flying, it can move air.
Krakabeast wrote:
Bussani wrote:I mean, robots don't have ki in Dragon Ball. Why? Because they're not alive. So you need living cells to have ki, I guess?
Sigma Force? Dragon Ball GT? Didn't they use ki? I mean, not like it really matters. :)
Meh, GT. Machine Mutants were different I suppose. #16 clearly didn't have ki though and it's pretty much agreed on in the fandom that he wouldn't be able to sense ki without a built in scouter.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:38 pm

#17 and #18 apparently had Ki in GT.

I don't think I have to say much more about how legitimate GT is.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:45 pm

Tsukento wrote:#17 and #18 apparently had Ki in GT.

I don't think I have to say much more about how legitimate GT is.
#17 and #18 were built from a human base. If anything they're cyborgs, not robots. We don't know if they actually have ki or not -- they may have it but it's too weak to notice, since they never use it.

How Trunks recognized any ki #17 would have is the real question.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:15 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:They were described as "Machine Mutants." Leads me to believe Dr. Myu's experiments were possibly the opposite in concept of Dr. Gero's. Instead of creating artificial sources for ki, he worked on ways to embed or allow machines to channel natural ki.
Rild had sensible ki (Goku saying his ki was greater than Buu's and all), and he was a Machine Mutant. So apparently they have ki, or at least some of them do.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:17 am

The Machine Mutants could be bio-mechanical. Which would make sense considering how Baby merges with people.