Dragonball Evolution - SPOILERS Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:45 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Bussani wrote:Technically it's also the Pilaf arc at the same time.
Yeah, but Goku 'kills' Piccolo about 10 minutes later, so it's the Piccolo arc moreso to me ;p

-Corey
Doesn't this just indicate that manga Piccolo > movie Piccolo?

Like I said, everything seems toned down in order to make it 'more realistic' and all fit into a single movie.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:45 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:Hmm, since they have done away with the other arcs, is it strange that he is not on Silver Age Superman level yet?
Call me crazy, but I don't think Vegeta or Freeza are going to come after Goku with a 'Plasma Glock.' It just seemed off that Goku has just finished learning the Macarena...err, Kamehameha, is about to face off against an evil the world hasn't seen in 2000 years and...he's near death from a simple (plasma) gunshot. It just made me go, "Wow, he's our only hope, huh? We're really fucked."

Then, 9 minutes later (literally) he's killing Piccolo with little or no effort. It's just bad pacing.
Doesn't this just indicate that manga Piccolo > movie Piccolo?
No, it indicates that Mai's plasma gun > movie Piccolo ;p

-Corey
Last edited by MajinVejitaXV on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:46 pm

omegacwa wrote:But wouldn't bullets be more dangerous than Ki? This is a topic that deserves it's own topic.
They should, but people forget that stopping a bullet is a Big Deal. Even if the bullet itself stops cold at your skin, all the energy it carries would be transferred into you. That's why 'bulletproof' vests can still leave you with a nasty bruise and cracked ribs.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:49 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:It just seemed off that Goku has just finished learning the Macarena...err, Kamehameha, is about to face off against an evil the world hasn't seen in 2000 years and...he's near death from a simple (plasma) gunshot.
Manga Goku was near-death from being hit with a rock, then killed Piccolo in one shot. :P

E: Dammit, Quote =/= Edit.
Last edited by Rocketman on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:50 pm

Call me crazy, but I don't think Vegeta or Freeza are going to come after Goku with a 'Plasma Glock.'
To be fair, Freeza's henchmen of arbitrary ambiguity, at least, had those hand cannon-things attached to their arms :)

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:56 pm

Tatsunoboshi Horoko wrote:
Call me crazy, but I don't think Vegeta or Freeza are going to come after Goku with a 'Plasma Glock.'
To be fair, Freeza's henchmen of arbitrary ambiguity, at least, had those hand cannon-things attached to their arms :)
Right, if we have a sequel and one of Freeza’s henchmen start blasting with one of the Ki/Plasma Desert Eagles and Chatku is hit and is seriously injured would everyone become so upset then?
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:04 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Tatsunoboshi Horoko wrote:
Right, if we have a sequel and one of Freeza’s henchmen start blasting with one of the Ki/Plasma Desert Eagles and Chatku is hit and is seriously injured would everyone become so upset then?
Probably. But they'd say, "But in the manga those guns were useless!" Which is true. But in the manga a lot more had happened and the characters were ridiculously strong. DBE seems to be working to it's own power scale, which I expected.

It would still be lame to see Goku get taken down by the same trick twice, of course.

Out of curiosity, how does Goku get shot? Was he taken by surprise? Shot in the back? How did it happen?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:11 pm

Bussani wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Tatsunoboshi Horoko wrote: To be fair, Freeza's henchmen of arbitrary ambiguity, at least, had those hand cannon-things attached to their arms :)
Probably. But they'd say, "But in the manga those guns were useless!" Which is true. But in the manga a lot more had happened and the characters were ridiculously strong. DBE seems to be working to it's own power scale, which I expected.

It would still be lame to see Goku get taken down by the same trick twice, of course.

Out of curiosity, how does Goku get shot? Was he taken by surprise? Shot in the back? How did it happen?

After Chatku realizes he took down the wrong Chi-Chi, he looks over at Mai (in Chi-Chi form) who raises her laser-gun, tells him "Wrong one." and shoots him from a couple feet away. He gets hit in the chest/stomach region.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:12 pm

Bussani wrote: Edit: In fact, why doesn't Roshi just blow up the moon? Then there would be no eclipse to worry about.
Honestly this would be so badass if they did this in the movie.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:18 pm

Bussani wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Tatsunoboshi Horoko wrote: To be fair, Freeza's henchmen of arbitrary ambiguity, at least, had those hand cannon-things attached to their arms :)

I was just attempting to demonstrate that it is possible for a handgun type weapon in the Dragonverse to harm godlike Ki manipulators.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:22 pm

Chuquita wrote:After Chatku realizes he took down the wrong Chi-Chi, he looks over at Mai (in Chi-Chi form) who raises her laser-gun, tells him "Wrong one." and shoots him from a couple feet away. He gets hit in the chest/stomach region.
Guess he needs to work on his reflexes more. Like I said, the movie is obviously working to a different set of physics. Being able to use ki and being skilled at martial arts != can dodge bullets/plasma bolts at close range apparently.

I'll bet Master Roshi would have dodged, but he has more experience even if Goku has potentially more power.

Edit:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:I was just attempting to demonstrate that it is possible for a handgun type weapon in the Dragonverse to harm godlike Ki manipulators.
I wasn't disagreeing with you there. Although...do we ever see those guns actually harm anyone? I don't seem to remember them ever doing anything useful.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:27 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:I was just attempting to demonstrate that it is possible for a handgun type weapon in the Dragonverse to harm godlike Ki manipulators.
And it's never worked in Dragon Ball.

-Goku gets shot and it's the equivalent of having a rock thrown at him. The kid has taken an AXE TO THE HEAD and merely caused the axe to break.
-Roshi's been shot by Lunch and Bulma. He's fine in the next scene.
-Kuririn too.
-Raditz caught a bullet shot at him with no problem.
-Gohan has captured bullets fired at him and caught them with no problem.

The only time a human made weapon has worked has been Yajirobe's sword and Trunks' sword. Yajirobe managed to cut the tail off of Vegeta as he's caught off guard, and only merely wound his back due to him having lost a great deal of energy. Trunks cut Freeza to pieces, but that's attributed to his own power, whereas Yajirobe's a normal human.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:30 pm

Tsukento wrote:The only time a human made weapon has worked has been Yajirobe's sword and Trunks' sword. Yajirobe managed to cut the tail off of Vegeta as he's caught off guard, and only merely wound his back due to him having lost a great deal of energy. Trunks cut Freeza to pieces, but that's attributed to his own power, whereas Yajirobe's a normal human.
Sword fighting is martial arts. I think that Ki could be applied to swords.

Not guns though. Unless it had a sword on the end of it.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:33 pm

Tsukento wrote:

-Goku gets shot and it's the equivalent of having a rock thrown at him. The kid has taken an AXE TO THE HEAD and merely caused the axe to break.
-Kuririn too.

The only time a human made weapon has worked has been Yajirobe's sword and Trunks' sword. Yajirobe managed to cut the tail off of Vegeta as he's caught off guard, and only merely wound his back due to him having lost a great deal of energy. Trunks cut Freeza to pieces, but that's attributed to his own power, whereas Yajirobe's a normal human.
While I agree with you, I again point out that the movie is trying to be more realistic. Not saying that's a good thing, but yeah.

Secondly, Lunch's bullets were gags. Like I said, why not have Goku Nyoi'bo himself to the moon too if we're going to take the manga so literally?

Third, by the time characters are catching bullets with so much ease we're into Dragon Ball Z. Goku did deflect Red Ribbon Army bullets with Nyoi'bo though. But as Herms pointed out, Blue seems to think he can hurt Goku at close range with a rifle.

And finally, Yajirobe a 'normal' human? He was a match for Goku after the 22nd Budokai! That's hardly normal.

Edit: I'd say manga Yajirobe is far more skilled than movie Goku.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:35 pm

Bussani wrote:And finally, Yajirobe a 'normal' human? He was a match for Goku after the 22nd Budokai! That's hardly normal.

Normal in the sense that he can't fly or use Ki-based attacks. :p

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:47 pm

Tsukento wrote:
Bussani wrote:And finally, Yajirobe a 'normal' human? He was a match for Goku after the 22nd Budokai! That's hardly normal.

Normal in the sense that he can't fly or use Ki-based attacks. :p
That's fair enough. Although Yajirobe, being a skilled swordsman, is probably putting his ki behind his sword strikes as well. Using standard shounen anime/manga logic, anyway.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:53 pm

Tsukento wrote:

-Kuririn too.

Okay, let me put it this way, what if one of Freeza’s goons showed up on earth with their Ki blaster thingie right after Kakarrot defeated Piccolo Daimaô and he got hurt. Would someone have a problem with that?

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:07 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:Okay, let me put it this way, what if one of Freeza’s goons showed up on earth with their Ki blaster thingie right after Kakarrot defeated Piccolo Daimaô and he got hurt. Would someone have a problem with that?
Considering Freeza's henchmen were responsible for the death of Bardock's team? It's believable.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:46 pm

Bussani wrote:But as Herms pointed out, Blue seems to think he can hurt Goku at close range with a rifle.
Bulma and Goku thought so too. Goku credited that rat that distracted Blue with saving his life. And then there was White's Powered Gun again, which knocked Goku clean out in one hit.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:Spider-Man 3 is at least the worst movie ever due to a complete lack of pacing, reasoning, and things happen "just because". The "emo" bits were actually the GOOD parts of the movie, because the effect on Peter is actually fairly similar to what it's supposed to be, and it was one of the few times you actually saw that Peter actually is a GEEK(beyond the first, what, ten minutes of the first movie?).

It's a horrible film. While maybe not the worst of all time, it's pretty low. I can't imagine Evolution being worse than Spider-Man 3.
Spider-Man 3
Theatrical Performance
Total US Gross $336,530,303
International Gross $554,341,323
Worldwide Gross $890,871,626
Home Market Performance
US DVD Sales: $123,868,139

DB:E wishes it can be half as "horrible" as Spider-Man 3.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.