Timeline evaluation

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Timeline evaluation

Post by Herms » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:41 am

----Notice:This old thread is part of my series of guides. To avoid necro-posting, please post any comments you have in the sticky thread for my guides, rather than here. Thanks!----

I started this awhile ago, and never got around to finishing it until now (well, I still haven’t technically finished it). The Daizenshuu 7 timeline is pretty well known among fans, but just how reliable is this thing? Just what is it basing these dates on? That’s what I decided to find out, by comparing what it says to what’s said in the manga (or anime, as it were). I ended up finding a few mistakes, or entries that could have been phrased better, but overall the thing is pretty reliable, though there often doesn’t seem to be much logic behind what it does and doesn’t accept from the anime; it's primarily based on the manga. So once I’ve finished with this, I’m going to try and correct the errors is this timeline, to create a rebuilt timeline, better than it was before, stronger, faster. Something like that, anyway. So I’m going to go page by page and evaluate each entry. [A] will mark things taken from the anime, and [?] marks things that I can’t figure out.

The Pre-era: A Universe in Chaos
Over 100 million years ago: Kaio’s planet is confirmed to have existed.
This comes from the words of the oni who guides Goku to the Serpent Road. He says that Enma Daio is the only person to have reached Kaio’s planet in 100 million years. This means that Kaio’s planet must have been around for at least 100 million years, inasmuch as you wouldn’t say “Joe Pete is the only person to have scaled the Eiffel Tower in 100 million years”. This entry is often totally garbled in versions of the timeline you see online, so that it says that 100 million years ago is when the first Kaioshin is confirmed to exist or some such thing.
About 75 million years ago: The Elder Kaioshin (the Kaioshin of 15 generations ago) is sealed into the Z Sword by someone.
The date of Elder Kaioshin’s imprisonment is unspecified in the series, although it was clearly far before the current East Kaoishin’s time. It’s possible that this date of 75 million years ago was settled on because Elder Kaioshin says he is from 15 generations ago, and East Kaioshin is at least 5 million years old. That is, if East Kaioshin has been around for 5 million years, than a single Kaioshin generation must be at least that long, and so if you multiply 5 million by 15, you get 75 million. So that's their approximation for when Elder Kaioshin was sealed away.
About 5 million years ago: The wizard Bibidi creates Majin Boo. Several years later, hundreds of planets have been destroyed by Boo. Out of the 5 Kaioshins, 4 are killed by Boo. The wizard Bibidi carries the ball which Boo is sealed in to Earth. The East Kaioshin defeats Bibidi. Boo’s ball is left as it is on Earth.
According to Kaioshin and Kibito, Boo’s ball came to Earth when Earthlings were first learning to walk on two legs. It’s currently thought that in the real world, humans branched off from chimpanzees 5-7 million years ago, which may be where this date comes from. This of course assumes that the development of life on Earth in DB world occurred on the same timescale as in the real world.
Tens of thousands of years ago: Annin (Taijou Roukun) begins managing the Furnace of Eight Divinations, placed at the Mountain of Five Elements, which serves as the boundary between this world and the afterlife.
[A]
This is the first of several entries in the timeline that are taken from anime-only stuff like filler and the movies. In the filler arc at the end of the original DB series, Annin tells Goku that she has been managing the Furnace of Eight Divinations for tens of thousands of years. This prompts Goku to say that she’s an old lady, which makes her furiously angry, and she then attacks Goku.
4,237 Before Age: The Demon Clansmen who are the ancestors of Garlic Jr. and his men immigrate from Planet Makyo to Earth.
[A]
In the Garlic Jr. filler arc, Planet Makyo is said to pass by Earth once every 5,000 years, and so this date is exactly 5,000 years before Age 763, when the Garlic Junior arc is set. This is the first of a few dates set in “Before Age”, the DB calendar equivalent of a BC date (zen in Japanese, which is simply “Before”, but I changed it to “Before Age” to make it easier to understand).
739 Before Age: Jadoushin became the Serpent Princess and set up along the Serpent Road.
[A]
This is exactly 1,500 years before Age 761, when Goku meets the Serpent Princess. In that filler episode, the Serpent Princess eventually reveals that her true identity is Jadoushin, a spirit who has haunted the Serpent Road for 1,500 years. The name "Jadoushin" means “God of the Serpent Road”: ja=serpent, dou=road[/i], shin=god. The Serpent Road itself is usually called hebi no michi in Japanese, jadou being an alternate reading for these kanji.
Around 239 Before Age: The appearance of the Super Saiyan, considered a legend among the Saiyans. He made the universe tremble with destruction and slaughter.
This is 1,001 years before Goku becomes a Super Saiyan on Planet Namek, in Age 762. This entry comes from the fact that the legend of the Super Saiyan says that one will appear every 1,000 years.

The Birth of God and the Prosperity of the Saiyans
Around Age 250: Uranai Baba begins divining.
[?]
This is exactly 500 years before when Goku first meets Uranai Baba, in Age 750. But other than that, I’m not sure where this date comes from. I’m pretty sure nothing is said in the manga about Uranai Baba divining for 500 years. I hear there's some filler scene where she says that, but I've still not confirmed this. Note that this puts Uranai Baba as being at least 180 years older than her younger brother, Kame-sennin. I suppose this could be because their parents were/are immortal.
Age 261: Enma Daio goes to Kaio’s planet along the Serpent Road. At this time he meets the Serpent Princess, who lived midway along the road, and she falls in love with him.
[A]
This is 500 years before Goku meets the Serpent Princess, in Age 761. In that episode, the Serpent Princess says that Goku is the first man to have stopped by since Enma was there, 500 years ago.
Age 261: A weather anomaly occurs on Planet Namek, and the child of Katatz escapes. He crash lands on Earth.
This is 501 years before Bulma and co. set off for Planet Namek. In the series, the date of the weather anomaly is never specified, other than several mentions that it was "long ago". Piccolo Daimao's initial rampage was about 300 years ago (more on this later), so by extension the child of Katatz must have come to Earth even sooner. Daizenshuu 4 refers to the disaster as "300-400 years ago", but apparently the daizenshuu staff later settled on 500 years ago as its exact date.
Age 430: Kame-sennin is born
Kame-sennin’s birth year was reconfirmed in the Super Exciting Guide-Character Volume’s character data, which was supervised by Toriyama. If you’re surprised Kame-sennin is so old, remember that Karin tells Goku that Kame-sennin climbed Karin Tower “about 300 years back”. This birth year makes Kame-sennin 319 when he first appears.
Age 431: The child of Katatz begins being pupil of the Earth’s God.
[?]
I’m not too sure of the significance of this one. It is 170 years after the child of Katatz lands on Earth, and 30 years before he becomes the new God.
Age 448: In the middle of his training under Mutaito, Kame-sennin (age 18) falls in love with Fan-Fan.
[A]
This comes from the filler arc showing Goku’s training under Mister Popo. In one episode, he goes back and meets an 18 year old Kame-sennin, who’s in love with a girl named Fan-Fan. This date comes from simply adding 18 years to Kame-sennin’s birth year.
Age 459: Tao Pai Pai is born
This date makes Tao Pai Pai 291 when he first appears, despite him still looking middle-aged. This does however make sense when you consider that he’s the younger brother of Tsuru-sennin, who’s around the same age as Kame-sennin. The Bouken Special was the first source to use 291 as Tao Pai Pai's age.
Age 461: Garlic of the Demon Clan rises up against God, but is defeated.
[A]
This comes from DBZ movie 1, where Garlic is said to have rebelled 300 years ago. This date is exactly 300 years before Age 761, when DBZ movie 1 is set.
Age 461: The child of Katatz becomes the Earth’s God. At the same time, Piccolo Daimao is born from the evil heart the child of Katatz detached from himself. Mutaito seals Piccolo Daimao in an electric rice cooker with the Mafuuba, and dies.
In the series, all that’s revealed about the date of Daimao’s rampage is that it was centuries ago, and that Kame-sennin and Tsuru-sennin were young at the time. Since Kame-sennin is a little over 300, it makes sense for it to be around this time, 292 years before Daimao’s release. It seems that the exact date here was taken from the date of Garlic’s uprising, and assuming that Garlic’s defeat, the child of Katatz becoming the Earth's new God, Daimao’s birth, and Daimao’s imprisonment all happened in the same year. Man, what a sucky year that must have been for the people on Earth.
Age 474: Dabra has an underling investigate the Earth.
This comes from during Goku’s fight with Yakon. Babidi is amazed at Goku having a power of 3,000 kiri, and Dabra says that there was nobody on Earth this powerful back when he had the planet investigated, 300 years ago. Accordingly, this date is exactly 300 before the Boo arc. Something often overlooked or glossed over, including in the Viz translation and fan translations of the timeline, is that Dabra speaks of the Earth having been "investigated", implying that he himself wasn't the one who did it. According, the timeline speaks of an underling of Dabra doing the investigation.
Circa Age 550: The primitive Saiyans drift to Planet Plant on mysterious spaceships.
[A]
This is the first of several entries based on the back-story for the Saiyans developed in the anime filler, the OVA, and later GT, where the Saiyans are depicted as invaders of Planet Plant who wipe out the native Tsufuru race and rename the world as “Planet Vegeta”. All of these dates were reused for the timeline in GT Perfect Files volume 1. The basic idea for this back-story was thought up by Toriyama, who drew a memo to the anime staff depicting the Tsufuru, their technology (including the scouter, which Toriyama writes that the Saiyans took from them), and the caveman-like primitive Saiyans. In this memo he also explains about the Tsufuru being smaller than the Saiyans due to the planet’s high gravity, and about how the Saiyans wiped out the Tsufuru. The memo also refers to Planet Vegeta as “Planet Plant” (which is crossed out in red pen, with “Planet Vegeta” written over it). The only part of the back-story absent from the memo is the idea of the Saiyans being alien invaders to Planet Plant/Vegeta (this element of the story is also missing from the DBZ filler episode, but present in the OVA and GT).

If the Saiyans were caveman-like at this point, where did they get spaceships? Presumably they stole them. In his Super Exciting Guide-Character Volume interview, Toriyama says that the Saiyans were a savage race who from time immemorial attacked planets, stealing their goods. It’s worth pointing out that since Japanese has no real plural form, it’s ambiguous whether this entry says the Saiyans arrived on a mysterious ship or several mysterious ships. In the OVA we see the Saiyans meeting the Tsufuru near a single giant spaceship, while in GT the Saiyans are shown arriving in many ships, which look just like the standard “Attack Balls” we see them using in the series. This entry puts the Saiyans as arriving on Plant 200 years before the series starts, but 789 years after the appearance of the legendary Super Saiyan. So going by this, the Saiyans’ raiding lifestyle and fearsome reputation go back to long before they set up base on Planet Plant/Vegeta.
Age 553: Kame-sennin begins his collection of dirty magazines around this time.
[?]
Not sure about this one, but I'm pretty sure it’s not based on anything from the manga. This is exactly 200 years before the 22nd Tenkaichi Budoukai and the revival of Piccolo Daimao, so I’m wondering if there’s some filler scene from around that point in the anime where Kame-sennin says he’s been collecting dirty magazines for 200 years.
Circa Age 650: Kame-sennin picks up the 3-star ball from the bottom of the sea.
This comes from when Bulma and Goku first meet Kame-sennin. When Bulma notices that Kame-sennin has the 3-Star Ball, he says that he picked it up off the ocean floor “about 100 years back”. This quote also shows that the last person who used the dragonballs, the guy who became a king, used them over 100 years ago.
Age 650
May 7th: The first Tenkaichi Budoukai opens
This comes from calculating backwards from the date of the 21st Tenkaichi Budoukai (Age 750) and the fact that until the 21st TB, the tournament was held once every 5 years. 20x5=100, so the first TB was 100 years before the 21st.

The date of every Tenkaichi Budoukai being May 7th comes from the Piccolo Daimao arc, where Piccolo Daimao gives his televised speech declaring May 9th to be a holiday celebrating his ascending to the world throne. This speech is two days after the 22nd Tenkaichi Budoukai, so that tournament would have therefore been on May 7th. I guess it’s a bit of a stretch to assume that because the tournament was held on that particular date that one year, then it therefore was and is always held on that date. However, Daizenshuu 4 does say the Tenkaichi Budoukai is held on May 7th each year, and anyway, almost all the exact dates in the timeline are ultimately based on the Tenkaichi Budoukai being on May 7th. Without that cornerstone date, we’re just left with a bunch of raw data from the series about events happening a certain number of days or months after or before each other, with nothing concrete to hook it all to in order to create an easily understandable timeline. So I think it’s a justifiable assumption, if only for convenience's sake.
Age 658: Grandpa Son Gohan is born.
I’m thinking this is completely new information, not based on anything from the manga or anime. This makes Gohan 79 when he finds baby Goku. This goes against the Bouken Special's age for Gohan, which puts him at 102 around when he fights Goku in the year 750.
Age 662: The Earth’s God talks about his personal history to Mister Popo.
When Popo and Bulma are investigating God’s spaceship, Popo says that 100 years ago, God told him the story of his life. Thus, this is 100 years before Age 762, when Bulma and Popo check out the spaceship.
Age 698: Toninjinka is born
This is based on the Bouken Special, which places Toninjinka's age as 51. The Bouken Special has many character profiles that state peoples' ages. It’s not explicitly said Toriyama came up with this information, but I think it's a safe bet. Perhaps Toriyama thought up background information like this for characters as he was drawing the series and just never had a way or reason to use it in the series itself (“I can turn people into carrots with my touch! And, as it happens, I was born in 698! Ho-ha!”).
Age 715: Pilaf the Great is born
Another entry based on the Bouken Special. It says Pilaf is 38; if we assume they're talking about during the Piccolo Daimao story arc (which was the current storyline when the book came out) then this fits. This makes Pilaf 34 when he first appears.
Circa Age 720~730: On Planet Plant, the Saiyans unite and start a revolt. They rush into all-out war with the Tsufuru. The Saiyan overwhelm the Tsufuru. The Tsufuru scientist Dr. Raichi dies. The Saiyan extermination weapon, Hatred Amplification Device Hatchi-Hyakku is launched into space. The Tsufuru are wiped out. The Saiyans take complete control of Planet Plant, and change its name to Planet Vegeta. At the same time, they absorb Tsufuru technology, such as the scouter. The Saiyans begin setting out into space. The Saiyans hit upon the idea of having other aliens sponsor their wars.
[A]
This is more anime back-story for the Saiyans. Most of this is taken either from the TV filler (which first depicts the Saiyan/Tsufuru war) and the OVA (which features Dr. Raichi and Hatchi-Hyakku as villains). I believe the exact dates provided for all these events is new information. The GT Perfect Files timeline reuses this entry, except it refers to the creation of Baby, rather than Dr. Raichi and Hatchi-Hyakku.
Age 722: General Blue of the Red Ribbon Army is born.
Another Bouken Special age. This makes Blue 28 when he appears in the story.
Age 730: Tao Pai Pai sets up an independent business as an assassin.
This comes from when Tao Pai Pai tells Commander Red that since he’s celebrating his 20th year as an assassin, he’s halving all his prices. The RR Army arc is in Age 750, and so this is 20 years before. The term used here for setting up an independent business, datsu-sara, literally means to escape from one’s life as a salaryman (by starting an independent business). Toriyama mentions in the Bouken Special Q&A that Tao Pai Pai was a salaryman/office worker before becoming an assassin.
Circa Age 731: The Saiyans team up with Freeza and begin a universal land shark business. King Vegeta takes a queen.
[A]
While this doesn’t directly refer to any of the Tsufuru/Saiyan stuff, since it is set one year after the end of the Saiyan/Tsufuru war, I’m guessing it’s still based on all that anime back-story. This means that the Saiyans were only teamed up with Freeza for 6 years before he destroyed Planet Vegeta (short fuse, that guy). Why is all this stuff set so close in time to the series? One reason is that in the OVA and GT, it’s Vegeta’s father, King Vegeta, who leads the Saiyans against the Tsufuru, so that puts a limit on how far back this stuff can be. Some people say this contradicts the DBZ episode with Kaio’s flashback on Saiyan history, where he says these things happened “long ago” (mukashi). However, “long ago” is a relative term. In the Cell arc, when Goku proposes to train in the Room of Spirit and Time, God-fused Piccolo says that Goku didn’t last a month when he trained in there “long ago” (mukashi), and that would have only been 14 years ago.

Pretty sure the bit about King Vegeta marrying his queen is just based on Vegeta being born next year. The thought process would be that any self-respecting king would want to produce an heir as soon as possible, so the year before Vegeta’s birth must be when King Vegeta married.

Warriors Uttering their First Cry
Age 732: Vegeta is born
Vegeta’s official birth year, which has been reconfirmed in the SEG-Character Volume. This makes Vegeta 30 when he battles Goku. I believe the Bardock special is the earliest thing to depict Vegeta as several years older than Goku, showing him as already a young kid when Goku is born.
Age 733: Bulma, Yamcha, and Tenshinhan are born
More official birth years. This makes Bulma 16 when she first appears, which is how old she says she is in the series. Yamcha and Tenshinhan's ages are taken from the Bouken Special.
Age 733
May 8th: The current king takes the throne.
[A?]
Taken from the fact that in the anime, the King is shown celebrating his 20th year on the throne the day Daimao attacks, on May 8th, 753. The idea that the King has been reigning for 20 years might be another thing Toriyama came up with for the anime, since Daizensuu 7’s bio for the King doesn’t list it in the anime part of the bio.
Circa Age 735: The Saiyans’ animosity towards Freeza begins to strengthen. On Planet Vegeta, there are repeated instances of civil unrest among the Saiyans.
[A?]
More Saiyan back-story. I think the idea of there being civil unrest among the Saiyans may come from the filler episode where Tenshinhan and co. are mentally sent into the past, and see a ruined city on Planet Vegeta (?), where there appears to have been some sort of war.
Age 736: Kuririn is born
Kuririn’s official birth year. This makes him 13 when he first appears. At the 21st TB he's shocked to learn that Goku is only 12, since he had believed Goku to be older than him.
Age 737: Kakarot (Son Goku) is born.
Goku’s official birth year, making him 12 at the start of the series (he mistakenly thinks he’s 14, before learning how to actually count).
Age 737: Planet Vegeta gains control of Planet Kanassa and Planet Meat. King Vegeta starts a revolt against Freeza, but it ends in failure.
[A]
This comes from the Bardock special and a TV filler scene showing King Vegeta’s revolt against Freeza. Although it’s worth noting that even in the manga, Freeza talks about fighting with “the king” (who’s never named in the manga) when he attacked Planet Vegeta.
Age 737: Freeza commences a war against the Saiyans. Goku’s father Bardock dies in battle. Planet Vegeta is annihilated by Freeza. Kakarot escapes from Planet Vegeta, and arrives on Earth.
This is all from the manga/anime, of course. Goku being born the year Planet Vegeta is destroyed isn’t specified in the manga; instead, it's the Bardock special that first introduces the idea. While this date means that Planet Vegeta was destroyed 25 years ago during the battle with Freeza, in the manga Freeza says that he destroyed Planet Vegeta 30 years ago. Freeza has to be wrong, since Goku being 12 at the start of the series is established in the manga, meaning Goku is only 25 at that point, and it’s nonsensical for Goku to have been born 5 years after Planet Vegeta was destroyed.
Age 737: Gyuumao’s daughter Chi Chi is born.

Chi Chi’s official birth year.
Age 737: Chi Chi’s mother dies from an illness.
[A]
Chi Chi’s mother dying from an illness in mentioned in the filler arc at the end of DB. Some of the online translations of this timeline mistakenly say that Goku’s mother dies of an illness, which wouldn’t make much sense, what with Planet Vegeta being destroyed earlier.
Age 737, June~August: Kakarot is found by the old man Son Gohan, who names him “Son Goku”.
[?]
I’m not sure why it says Gohan found Goku in June-August. However, at the 21st Tenkaichi Budoukai, which is in 750, Goku says that he is 12 years old. Since Goku was born in 737, he should turn 13 in 750. So assuming Goku isn’t miscounting again, if he says he’s 12, it would mean that his actual birthday is later in the year than May 7th, when the TB is. So if Goku was born on Planet Vegeta sometime after May 7th, 737, it’d make sense for him to arrive on Earth sometime in June or later, depending on how long the trip took. So that may be why they say Gohan found him sometime in June through August. Or maybe it’s just that the scene with Grandpa Gohan at the end of the Barduck TV special looks like it’s set during summer.
Age 738: The baby Goku takes a strong blow to the head. His ferocious personality that is characteristic of the Saiyans at once changes to a cheerful one.
I don’t think there’s anything in the series to specify that Goku was a year old when he hit his head, but it was said to be when he was still a baby.
Age 739: Gyuumao goes on a picnic, taking the baby Chi Chi with him. While out, a fire spirit falls on the Mountain of Refreshing Scenery, where Gyuumao’s castle is, and the mountain becomes covered in flames. Afterwards, the name of the Mountain of Refreshing Scenery is changed to Mt. Fry-pan.
This is all taken from Oolong’s explanation of the history of Mt. Fry-Pan. Oolong says in the series that the mountain caught fire 10 years ago. In Viz’s translation, they change a narration to say that Gyuumao and Chi Chi have been forced out of their castle “for months now”, which I guess is still technically true (years consisting of months and all). Note that this means that Chi Chi was only 2 at the time, so she probably would have never had any memories of actually living in the castle.
Age 740: Oolong is born.
This makes Oolong 9 when he first appears, and 13 during the 22nd TB/Daimao arcs. This is another age taken from the Bouken Special. Though his perverseness makes it easy to forget that he’s so young, Oolong does refer to himself as a piglet early on, and says that the 16-year old Bulma is older than he is.
Age 740]Kuririn enters Oorin Temple as a pupil.
This means Kuririn entered Oorin Temple when he was 4. When he first appears (in 749), he says that he spent 8 years training at Oorin Temple. That would mean he left the temple in 748, leaving a year’s gap between then and his first appearance. I guess it took him a year to reach Kame-sennin’s island.
Age 747: Yamcha and Puar meet
I believe this is new information. It means Yamcha and Puar had known each other for 2 years when they first appear, and met when Yamcha was 14 and Puar was 7 (Puar’s bio says he was born in 740, the same year as Oolong). I think though that this might be based on the fact that Puar graduated from the shape-shifting kindergarten, and presumably he met Yamcha after that. I suppose 7 would be a reasonable age to graduate kindergarten.
Age 748: The immortal phoenix which Kame-sennin kept as a pet dies of food poisoning. Umigame becomes lost while out gathering mushrooms in the mountain.
When Umigame meets Bulma and Goku (next year, in 749), he says that he has been lost for a year. The immortal phoenix dying this year is probably because Umigame knew that it had died (while Kame-sennin had forgotten), so that must have happened before Umigame got lost, but still fairly recently.

Click here to jump down to the post with the rest of the timeline.
Last edited by Herms on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:28 am

Wow, quite the 2900th post spectacular! Anyway, thanks a ton for doing this little doodaddly of a project! I've always wanted one of these multi (canonical) source timelines to refer to, from someone I can trust translated everything properly.

The only suggestion I have is that it would be cool if in each quote, instead of just making the quote, make the author the guidebook the info was taken from or first printed in. That may be a bit more work, but most of it will just be "Daizenshuu 7 wrote:"... right?

Thanks! And awesome job!!

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:04 am

It's amazing how much your posts have taught me about Dragon Ball. Thanks for that! :)
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:09 am

WOW, only 6 years, huh? :shock:

Also, the whole idea of the spaceships being stolen by the saiyajins makes a lot more sense; as that always bugged me how in they appeared in the filler wearing caveman clothes while emerging from a spaceship. (Though, this is Dragon Ball, where flying cars and dinosaurs co-habit, so I guess nothing's beyond the stretch of imagination).

Wait, does this mean that there's still an actual, real saiyajin homeworld out there that Freeza didn't know about? Since "Planet Vegeta" wasn't the original Planet Vegeta.

That bit about Toninjinka made me laugh. :lol:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:18 am

Huh, I always thought the Saiyajin and Tsufuru both inhabited Planet Plant, thanks to that filler. It does make more sense that they were alien invaders.

Thanks as always, Herms!

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:25 am

Edit: I've incorporated my later posts into this one for convenience's sake. Sardines.

DragonBall

Age 749:
During all of April: Bulma attends West City high school
[?]
Not sure what this is based on. Maybe just the Japanese school system schedule?
A certain month and day: Bulma discovers the 2-star ball in her house’s basement.
Bulma never specifies just when she found her first dragonball.
August 22nd: Bulma discovers the 5-star ball in North Valley
In chapter 1, Bulma tells Goku that she found the 5-Star Ball ten days ago (this line drops out in the Viz translation). So this is 10 days before September 1st, the date Bulma meets Goku.
September 1st: Goku and Bulma meet. Bulma is in the middle of summer vacation. She identifies Goku’s keepsake of his grandfather as being the 4-star ball.
The beginning! OK, first off, why is the month given as September? Because after the search for the DBs wraps up, Goku trains for 8 months before entering the 21st Tenkaichi Budoukai. The Tenkaichi Budoukai is on May 7th, so eight months earlier would be in September of the previous year. So you end up with the DB search ending sometime around September 7th, so you just backtrack from there using the passages of time that are mentioned to get the date that Goku and Bulma meet. Picking the date the DB search ends is a bit arbitrary, since presumably Goku didn’t train for exactly 8 months to the day. I wonder if they intentionally set things up so that the beginning of the story would also occur at the beginning of a month? Not mentioned in the timeline is that Bulma and Goku camp out during the night.
September 2nd: In the morning, Goku and Bulma meet Kame-sennin, and receive the 3-star ball.
This is the next day after Goku and Bulma meet, following the manga, which shows them camp for the night after they and get up in the morning.
September 5th: Goku takes care of Oolong. He and Bulma receive the 6-star ball from Grandma Paozu.
Narration in the fourth chapter says that 3 days pass between Bulma and Goku’s meeting with Kame-sennin and their arrival in Oolong’s village. Incidentally, Grandma Paozu is referred to by name in the original, but never called by name in the Viz translation.
September 6th: Goku meets Yamcha
[?]
Near as I can tell nothing in the manga indicates how much time passes between them recruiting Oolong and meeting Yamcha.
September 9th: Goku defeats Yamcha.
This is a mistake. In the series, Goku meets Yamcha, Yamcha attacks again that night, and then comes attacking once again on the next morning, at which point Goku defeats him. So if Goku met Yamcha on the 6th, then he should defeat him on the 7th, not the 9th. Presumably what happened is that this entry on Yamcha got mixed up with the September 9th entries during some point of the timeline-writing process, due to them being right next to each other.
September 9th: In the morning, Kame-sennin wipes out the fire of Mt. Fry-pan with a “Kamehameha”. Bulma discovers the 7-star ball in the rubble of Gyuumao’s castle. In the afternoon, the Mushroom City gang “Rabbit Gang” are punished by Goku. The 2~7-star balls are stolen by Pilaf and his gang. At night, with all the dragonballs present, Shenlong appears. Goku destroys Castle Pilaf after looking at the full moon and becoming an Oozaru.
I’m pretty sure there’s some bit of narration that says that Bulma and co. arrive at Mt. Fry-pan 2 days after Yamcha’s defeat, but I kind of forgot to write that down. Anyway, from Mt. Fry-pan to Pilaf, the only night scene that’s shown is the one at the end, when Pilaf summons Shenlong, so it’s reasonable to say that that was all one day, although a busy one to be sure. This is the only place I know of that the Rabbit Gang's town is given a name ("Mushroom City").
September 10th: Goku and Kuririn become pupils of Kame-sennin.
The day after Oozaru Goku’s rampage. This would also be the day Goku parts ways with Bulma and co, and the day Goku and Kuririn hunt for the stone, when everyone but Goku eats blowfish for dinner.
September 11th: Kame-sennin, Kuririn, and Lunch are bedridden by food poisoning they got from the blowfish they ate the previous day.
This comes from the chapter ending narration from the stone-hunting chapter. The narration says everyone was out for 3 days, so just to be clear this should probably say September 11-13th, although since it gets the day they’d start training again right, I guess it doesn’t really matter.
September 14th: Goku and Kuririn’s training begins at 4:30 in the morning. They devote themselves to training for the next eight months.
The series says that the Tenkaichi Budoukai is 8 months away when Goku and Kuririn start training. Since the dragonballs are revived by that time this is a bit of a plothole, but maybe the dragonballs regenerated earlier than normal because Oolong’s wish was so minor?
October 2nd: The second semester begins at West City high school.
Back in the second chapter, Bulma said that she had 30 days of vacation left. That was on September 1st, so this would be when school starts up again. In Japan, the spring semester is seen as the start of the academic year, which is why this fall semester is referred to as the second semester.

Age 750
April 6th: The volume of the training shells which Goku and Kuririn wear on their back is increased to 40 kilos.
The scenes where Goku and Kuririn freak out Kame-sennin with their strength, and he ups the weight of their shells, are said to be about a month before the tournament.

A Grand Soaring Era

Still in Age 750
April 18th: The Red Ribbon Army’s Silver Platoon begins its hunt for the dragonballs.
In the chapter where Goku first meets the Red Ribbon Army, one of Silver’s underlings says that they’ve been searching for that one dragonball for some amount of time, but I didn’t write it down. I’d assume the date here matches it, meaning they were searching for about 3 weeks before Goku showed up. Note that it’s not known how long the RR itself had been searching for the dragonballs, just Silver’s group.
May 6th: Goku and the others set out from Kame House in order to enter the Tenkaichi Budoukai.
May 7th: The 21st Tenkaichi Budoukai is held. Jacky Chun is the champion, and Goku is the runner-up.
In the series, everyone sets out the day before the tournament, which takes only a single day.
May 7th: Goku and Pilaf contest with the Red Ribbon Army for the 6-star ball. The Red Ribbon Army obtains the 6-star ball in Pilaf’s secret base in the desert. The Red Ribbon Army continues on to obtain the 5-star ball. Goku and Chi Chi reunite at Gyuumao’s village.
[A]
This is all taken from RR Army arc filler. I’ve seen barely any of the anime version of the RR arc, so I can’t say how well setting them all in a single day works. Going by the manga, this is the day Brown Corp finds their dragonball (7-Star Ball?), since on the 8th Silver says he found it the day before.
May 8th: The Red Ribbon Army’s main northern base Muscle Tower is wiped out by Goku.
In the manga, Goku is shown setting off from the TB grounds at night, and at the start of the next chapter it is morning, at which point he runs across Silver and co. So this all fits the manga version of things, but I’m not sure about the anime.
May 9th: Bulma finishes repairing Goku’s Dragon Radar at 11:02 AM. Goku and General Blue have an offensive and defensive battle at Penguin Village. General Blue is repelled by Arale-chan. General Blue is killed by Tao Pai Pai. Goku is beaten by Tao Pai Pai in a battle at the Karin Holy Land. Goku begins to climb Karin Tower.
After destroying Muscle Tower, Goku spends the night at Jingle Village and sets off for West City the next day, so this fits. From that point to when Goku climbs Karin Tower, there’s no night shown, so it does all seems to be a single day.

When Goku reunites with Bulma on this date, Bulma says that tomorrow is Sunday (in Viz she says tomorrow is Saturday, presumably due to differences between the Japanese and American school systems). This means that the 21st TB was held on a Thursday, and Goku takes out Muscle Tower on Friday. He then reunites with Bulma, beats Blue, and is beaten by Tao Pai Pai on this Saturday, reaches the top of Karin Tower on Sunday, and gets the Super Holy Water and takes out Tao Pai Pai and the Red Ribbon Army on Tuesday.
May 10th: Summer vacation begins at Penguin Village’s Village High School. In the early morning, Goku finishes his climb of Karin Tower. He begins his training of trying to steal the Super Holy Water from Karin-sama.
In the Dr. Slump crossover chapter, Arale and co. discuss their summer vacation starting. Goku is shown sleeping on Karin Tower and reaching the top in the morning.
May 12th: Goku snatches the Super Holy Water from Karin-sama on his third day of training. Goku defeats Tao Pai Pai and wipes out Red Ribbon Army Headquarters. At Uranai Baba’s palace, Goku is reunited with his deceased adoptive parent Son Gohan.
Karin says Goku managed to get the Super Holy Water in only 3 days (as compared to Kame-sennin’s 3 years). All these events are shown to be the same day in the manga (no nights or pauses in the story or anything).
Sometime in July: Namu’s village enters its rainy season.
I think this refers to one of the villagers in Namu’s flashback to his village (when Jacky Chun is reading his mind) saying that the rainy season won’t be for another 2 months. That was in May, so the rainy season would be now. In some of the online translations of the timeline, it incorrectly describes Namu’s village as being on Namek (?!).
Age 750~753 : Goku sets out on a journey to train. At Chao’s village, he puts down Kinkaku and Ginkaku. He meets Chin Taiken, and confronts Tenron in a match. Goku passes through the Demon Realm Gate in the Kres Kingdom and has a showdown with Shura. Goku meets Tenshinhan when he takes cares of Inoshikachou.
[A]
All of this is from the anime filler arc of Goku’s training for the 22nd TB.

Age 753
May 5th: Goku and Konkichi meet. Goku sets out for the Tenkaichi Budoukai grounds on Papaya Island.
[A]
Another one from the same filler arc. I’ve never seen any of these episodes, so I don’t know if it establishes itself as taking place two days before the 22nd TB.
May 7th: The 22nd Tenkaichi Budoukai is held. Tenshinhan is the champion, and Goku is the runner-up. Piccolo Daimao appears.
This fits the manga, but not the anime, where the 22nd TB is shown as taking place over a number of days. It’s interesting that they’d do this when they included all that other anime stuff before. It must be because the date of Daimao’s TV speech is set in stone.
May 8th: At King Castle, the current king holds a memorial ceremony for the 20th year of his reign.
On the 7th, in the series Goku leaves the TB grounds, gets beaten by Tambourine, and then it’s shown to be nighttime at the TB grounds. Then when Goku wakes up, it’s daytime again, meaning that this day is when Goku meets Yajirobe and ends up being beaten by Daimao. Kame-sennin and Chaozu die, Daimao gets his youth and kills Shenlong, and then attacks King Castle. Goku and Yajirobe then reach the top of Karin Tower during the night, and Goku drinks the Super God Water.

The King celebrating his 20th year of rule is taken from the anime. Frankly, I’m not sure why it’s worth mentioning over all of the above events.
May 9th: Goku defeats Piccolo Daimao. Ma Junior is born. Goku goes to Kami’s temple, and from this day on receives training from Kami for the next 3 years.
Goku is shown finally overcoming the effects of the Super God Water in the morning of the next day (Karin says he was suffering for 6 hours, so it seems Goku drank the SGW around midnight). It’s also in the morning that Tenshinhan finally perfects the Mafuuba. Then Piccolo gives his TV speech announcing that each year on this day he’ll destroy one of the world’s 43 regions. During the speech, he says that the date is May 9th.

Age 756
May 7th: The 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai is held. The 18 year old Goku gets engaged to his opponent Chi Chi in the middle of the match. Goku shined in winning his first Tenkaichi Budoukai championship. The runner-up was Ma Junior.
All this just from the series, and from the TB being always on May 7th. Notice that it describes Goku as being 18 years old, when he turns 19 in 756. More support for the idea that Goku's birthday is sometime after May 7th.
May 7th: Goku and Chi Chi hold their wedding ceremony at Mt. Fry-pan. During that time, Gyuumao’s castle catches fire, and the two of them set out to find the Bashosen in order to put out the flames.
May 8th: Chi Chi trains as a bride under Grandma Hakkake. Goku and Chi Chi obtain the Bashosen, but learn that the flames on Gyuumao’s castle are special ones from the Furnace of Eight Divinations, and they head off to the Mountain of Five Elements. At the Furnace of Eight Divinations on the Mountain of Five Elements, Goku reunites with his grandpa Son Gohan. Goku puts out the flames of the Furnace of Eight Divinations.
[A]
This is all from the Mt. Fry-Pan filler arc at the end of the original DB series. It’s been a really long time since I saw it, so I’m not sure how this matches up with the events of those episodes.

Age 757
Sometime in May: Gohan is born.
757 is Gohan’s official birth year. Gohan being born in May could refer to the filler episode before the Cell Games (which were in May) where Gohan celebrates his birthday, although I believe in that episode Gohan actually says that it’s not his birthday, and Chi Chi just wants to celebrate it because Gohan got a year older in the Room of Spirit and Time (though this still wouldn’t rule out his birthday being during some other time in May). It may also be based on the fact that at the start of the Buu arc, the narrator says that Gohan is 16, though since the Buu arc is in 774, Gohan should turn 17 that year. So him still being 16 would mean that his birthday is later in the year then when he first goes to Orange Star High School, which is in April.
Age 759~760: Goku is interviewed by Weekly Shounen Jump.
[?]
This one’s always been a puzzle. However, picture 108 in Daizenshuu 1 (an image of Goku holding Raditz-era Gohan) is described (in the image index in the back) as being drawn for “a feature called Jump Hero Biographies”. This Jump Hero Biographies came out in the same issue of Jump as chapter 230, when the story was in the middle of the battle with Vegeta. I think that maybe this Jump Hero Biographies feature could have included an “interview” with Goku, possibly set before Raditz’s arrival, since setting it right where the story was at the time would have been kind of weird (“So Goku, what are you up to these days?” “Well, right now I’m in the middle of a fight to the death with that Vegeta guy over there”), but set after Gohan’s birth (since young Gohan’s shown in the image). That’s just my theory though.

First Contact

Age 761
Goku confronts Garlic Jr. and his men after they kidnap Gohan.
[A]
This comes from DBZ movie 1, which is set a little while before Raditz’a arrival. There are some small contradictions between the movie and the timeline of the series (Kuririn meeting Gohan during the course of the movie, but not knowing about him they day Raditz arrives). Though I guess you could argue that since it doesn’t mention all the events of DBZ movie 1, then the contradictory parts simply didn’t happen in this timeline or something. Anyway, DBZ movie 1 and 5 are the only movies to be featured on the timeline. Why those two? Well, DBZ movie 1 is probably included because of the Garlic Jr. filler arc, which the timeline also includes, since it includes all the major filler arcs. DBZ movie 5 might be simply because of the Barduck special connection, since the events of the special are included in the timeline.
October 12th: Raditz invades Earth. Goku dies. Vegeta and Nappa depart for Earth. On the way there they destroy Planet Aria, and then enter cold sleep.
So it lists October 12th as when Goku dies, and November 3rd as when Vegeta and Nappa come to Earth. This means that a full year and three weeks pass between Raditz and Vegeta+Nappa’s arrival. This is a mistake. Now, it’s not a mistake because this leaves Goku dead for longer than a year, as Greg Werner says in his translation of the timeline. The limit of only being able to bring back those who died in the last year is only mentioned once, in connection with bringing back large numbers of people who all died from the same cause (like all those killed by Vegeta or Freeza and his men). Nothing is ever said about this limit applying to reviving a single person. After Kaio hears Kami explain about this one-year limit in regards to large groups of people, Kaio doesn’t hesitate to ask Tenshinhan and co. to wait another year before being wished back. If the year limit applied to reviving individuals, Kaio would effectively be asking them to give up ever coming back to life. So anyway, there’s no contradiction here.

The problem is that the narration says Goku reaches Kaio’s planet after 6 months of running on the Serpent Road, at which point Kaio says that Vegeta and Nappa will arrive in 158 days. That means that there was only about 11 months and 8 days between Goku’s death and Vegeta and Nappa’s arrival, so these dates don’t work. Interestingly, as TripleRach has noted, these dates would work perfectly if they were switched around, so that Goku died on November 3rd,, 761, and Vegeta and Nappa arrive on October 12th, 762.

The thing about Vegeta and Nappa destroying Planet Arlia on the way to Earth is taken from the anime.
Some month and day: Gohan begins training under Piccolo. After falling into some underground ruins, Gohan meets an old-model robot, who he becomes dear to. Yamcha takes a part-time job as a baseball player. Gripped by homesickness, Gohan flees from his training. However, he meets Pigero and his fellow orphans, and his courage returns.
[A]
This is all taken from the anime filler of everyone’s training, though the idea of Yamcha working as a baseball player was Toriyama’s idea. “Some month and day” is misleading, at least as far as the manga goes, since Gohan is shown beginning his wilderness survival training on the same day as Goku’s death.

Age 762
Sometime in March: Krillin, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Chaozu, and Yajirobe commence their training and Kami’s temple.
[A?]
In the manga, the narration says that after Yajirobe starts rounding everyone up the day after Goku’s death, Tenshinhan and the others were found right away and began training at Kami’s palace. So manga-wise at least, saying they didn’t start training until 5 months later is baseless. This may fit the anime though.
April 29th: Goku arrives at Kaio Planet from the Serpent Road.
The narration says that Goku reaches Kaio’s planet after running for 6 months, so this fits if October 12th is used as the starting date. However, at this point Kaio says that the Saiyans will arrive in 158 days (5 months and 8 days), but like I said before, this timeline has the Saiyans arriving on November 3, 7 months later, which is too long. Using October 12th as the date of Goku’s death, it would be more accurate for the Saiyans to arrive sometime around September 20th. However, if making a better timeline, I’d personally prefer to use November 3rd as the date of Vegeta and Nappa’s arrival, but then work backwards from that to determine a new date for Goku’s death, making it sometime around November 25th. This way we only have to change the dates of Goku’s death and his arrival at Kaio’s, whereas if we change the date for Vegeta and Nappa’s arrival, we have to change all the dates for the Namek/Freeza arc, all the way up to when Trunks arrives. Also, using November 3rd as the date of Vegeta and Nappa’s arrival puts the battle with Freeza near to Christmas, and a short side manga by Toriyama shows the characters from around the fight with Ginyu and Freeza all celebrating Christmas.
May 9th: Goku catches Bubbles. After that, he begins his training of hitting the super-fast Gregory with a hammer.
Around May 23rd: Goku succeeds in hitting Gregory with a hammer.
[A-ish]
Gregory is of course unique to the anime (though Toriyama created him for the filler). In the manga, the narration says that Goku succeeds in catching Bubbles after 40 days, at which point 118 days remain before the Saiyans’ arrival. The anime splits this 40 day period up between Goku catching Bubbles and Goku bonking Gregory with the hammer. So in the anime, it says that Goku catches Bubbles after 3 weeks, then when he catches Gregory Kaio says 118 days are left. Again, these dates don’t work with the Saiyans arriving on November 3rd. If 118 days remain on around May 23rd, then the Saiyans should arrive around September 23rd.
Sometime in May: Krillin, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and Chaozu go on a trip through time. They are completely defeated in their battle with the two Saiya-jin they meet there. Realizing their inexperience, they resolve to train further.
[A]
This is taken from the anime. I don’t know if the date of May matches what is said in the episode about the time (5 months before the Saiyans arrive, 7 months after Goku’s death).
November 2nd: Goku completes his training and returns to life.
Goku being revived the day before the Saiyans arrive fits the manga. According to Kame-sennin, they weren’t expecting the Saiyans for another month, which fits them arriving after 11 months and 8 days or so.
November 3: Vegeta and Nappa arrive on Earth. Goku, Gohan, Krillin, Piccolo, battle Vegeta and Nappa. Piccolo, Tenshinhan, Chaozu, and Yamcha die. An ultra-miniature insect-type spy robot harvests cells from Goku and the others to be used for Cell.
It matches the manga for the whole fight with Vegeta and Nappa to take place on a single day. The thing about the spy-robot is from Cell’s explanation of himself to Piccolo, where he says Cells from Goku, Piccolo, and Vegeta were harvested during the fight with Vegeta. Incidentally, the manga says that Vegeta and Nappa arrive at 11:43 AM, and reach Gohan and Piccolo at 12:20 PM. Then they fight for awhile, and then wait three hours for Goku to show up. This means Goku showed up sometime after 3:20 PM.
November 4th: Goku and the others are hospitalized in West City hospital.
The narration in the manga says “the next day” when it shows Goku and co. in the hospital.
November 7th: Gohan and Krillin’s treatment ends.
Kuririn says on the 4th that he and Gohan only have to stay for three days, since their injuries are much lighter than Goku’s (the doctor said Goku wouldn’t be healed for 4 months). Karin also says at this time that there will be new senzu ready in one month.
November 9th: The remodeling of Kami’s spaceship is completed.
After checking out Kami’s ship on the 4th, Bulma says that it can be remodeled in 5 days.

A Life Burning in Space

Still in Age 762
November 14th: The Namekian language translation operation is completed. Gohan, Krillin, and Bulma set out for Planet Namek.
On the 4th, Bulma says that though the ship remodeling will only take 5 days, the language translation won’t be done for 10 days, 5 days after the remodeling ends. So she says that they’ll leave once that’s finished, 10 days later.
November 21st: Vegeta returns to Planet Freeza No.79.
December 13th: Vegeta’s injuries are healed. He immediately sets off for Planet Namek.
The narration says that he reaches the planet 18 days after he left Earth. In the manga (and anime too I think) his medical treatment seems to end not very long after he gets there, so why does the timeline have it as taking over three weeks? We know that Vegeta reached Planet Namek on the same day Bulma and co. did, December 18th. The assumption here seems to be that Vegeta’s ship is as fast as Ginyu and co.’s ships, which were capable of reaching Planet Namek in 5 days starting from Planet Freeza No.79. If Vegeta’s ship was that fast, since he’s shown leaving immediately after being healed, that would leave a 22 day discrepancy: Bulma and co. leave Earth 11 days after Vegeta does and take 34 days to get there, so they take 45 days to reach Namek total, whereas Vegeta takes only 23 (18 to Planet Freeza and 5 to Namek), yet they reach there at almost exactly the same time. So that’s why the timeline has Vegeta’s healing take 22 days, to correct the discrepancy. However, I personally think it’d be easier to just say that Vegeta’s ship was much slower than Ginyu and co.’s. Ginyu and co. are higher up on the food chain in Freeza’s organization after all, so it would make sense for them to be given better ships than him.
December 18th: Vegeta, Kui, as well as Bulma and the others all land on Planet Namek out almost exactly the same time. Goku sets off for Planet Namek. Krillin sets off for Saichourou’s house under Dende’s guidance. Piccolo, Tenshinhan, Chaozu, and Yamcha arrive on Kaio Planet and commence training. Goku’s spaceship is endangered when it is captured by the gravity of Star αHZ. Goku unleashes a Kamehameha outside the ship, and the recoil gets him out of danger.

The narration says they reach Namek 34 days after leaving Earth, so this is 34 days after November 14th. Telling when time passes on Planet Namek can be hard, since there’s no night. Everyone up to Bulma and co. arriving on Namek to Goku talking with Kaio seems to be set on the same day (which means Goku reaches 50g on his first day of training!). Goku leaves 2 hours after Bulma contacts Kame-sennin. It’s said that he’ll reach Namek in 6 days, so that gives a limit to how much time can pass between now and then. This day is also when Vegeta kills Dodoria.
December 19th: While in the middle of capturing Planet Yardrat, the Ginyu Special-Squad depart from Planet Freeza No.79 to Planet Namek under Freeza’s orders.
Freeza orders Ginyu and co. to come to Namek on this day. It’s said that they’ll arrive in 5 days. Since Goku was going to arrive on Namek in 6 days, and he ends up arriving shortly after Ginyu and co., this means that a day has passed since Goku left. The transition between days seems to come when the scene switches back to Namek after Goku’s conversation with Kaio. This is the day Vegeta is beaten by Zarbon. Zarbon takes Vegeta to receive medical treatment, which is when the scene switches to the next day.
December 20: After being beaten by Zarbon, Vegeta makes a full recovery. Krillin sets out again for Saichourou’s house, taking Gohan with him. Zarbon is defeated and killed while fighting Vegeta a second time.
The transition to this day is marked by the narration explaining about how there’s no night on Namek (naturally, ne). Kuririn arrives at Saichourou’s on this day. He then makes it back to Bulma in no time, Vegeta kills Zarbon and takes Kuririn’s dragonball, and Gohan outwits Vegeta. As Vegeta sits on his pile of dragonballs and decides he can do nothing but wait, another jump ahead in time occurs. The narration says that 2 days pass, and the scene switches to Goku training in space (placing this scene on the 22nd); in Viz, the narration box saying “2 days later” is changed to say “meanwhile”, giving it quite the opposite meaning. During this scene on the 22nd, Goku is training at 100g and almost kills himself training, but recovers with a senzu. The narrator says that only 3 senzu are left.
December 23rd: Goku completes his training in his spaceship.
From that last part with Goku training, the narration says that another day passes (making it the 23rd), and Goku realizes that the training doesn’t wear him out anymore, so he stops, deciding to spend his final day resting.
December 24th: Goku lands on Planet Namek. The Ginyu Special-Squad is wiped out. Piccolo returns to life. Krillin dies. Goku becomes a Super Saiya-jin and defeats Freeza. Planet Namek is annihilated.
After the scene gets back to Namek, Freeza says that Zarbon has been gone for 4 days (placing this on the 24th, if Zarbon was killed on the 20th). Gohan and Kuririn reach Saichourou’s house, and then all the craziness with Ginyu and then Freeza breaks out. After Goku is wounded in the battle with Ginyu, Vegeta says that Goku will take 40-50 minutes to heal. That means that everyone from then until Goku being healed, including the summoning of Polunga, Piccolo’s revival, and the battle with Freeza up to Vegeta’s defeat, all took 40-50 minutes.

Going by this timeline, Goku fights Ginyu and Freeza on Christmas Eve. A short (5 panels) side manga by Toriyama shows the characters celebrating Christmas in various ways, all exactly where they would be during this point in the Namek/Freeza arc. I think that side manga is why all the Namek/Freeza stuff is set in later December, or at least one of the reasons.

Age 763
May 3rd: Krillin and Yamcha are revived.
September 10th: Tenshinhan and Chaozu are revived. Having taken refuge on Earth, the Namekians migrate to New Planet Namek.
This comes from the Namekian dragonballs taking 130 days to recharge. Kuririn and Yamcha are revived 130 days after Freeza’s defeat, and then Tenshinhan and Chaozu are revived 130 days later. This is all said in narration. From this point, the narration says that it’s about a year before Trunks appears.
Sometime in October: Planet Makyo approaches Earth for the first time in 5,000 years. The revived Garlic Jr. confronts Gohan and the others.
[A]
This is from the Garlic Jr. filler arc of course. Placing it in October would mean that it takes place very shortly after Tenshinhan and Chaozu’s revival. Was anything said about this in these episodes? It’s been a long time since I’ve seen them (I suppose I could have researched the anime portion of this evaluation a little better…).
Sometime or another: Cell arrives in this era by time machine, and goes underground. Freeza’s restructuring surgery is completed.
Cell is said to come from the future a year before Trunks did, four years before the androids appear, which places it in this year.

Age 764
Sometime in August: Goku returns to Earth. Trunks defeats Freeza and his father, who had arrived on Earth.
The narration says that “about a year” passes between the Namekians leaving Earth and Trunks’ arrival (Viz ambiguously phrases this narration so that it could be interpreted as meaning that a year passed between Freeza’s defeat and Trunks’ arrival). Since the Namekians leave on September 10th of the previous year, this would make Trunks appear about 11 months later.

I don't think the note on Freeza's reconstruction being finished is based on anything. It would mean that Freeza took at least 8 months after his surgery was completed before getting to Earth.
Age 764~767: Coola invades Earth and battles Goku.
[A]
This makes DBZ move 5 the second and last movie to be included on the timeline. I’m not really sure why it was included. Perhaps because of the Barduck connection? At any rate, while there are some contradictions between the events of the movie and the main series timeline (Goku not having control of Super Saiyan and whatnot), this would be the timeframe that the movie would occur in, between Goku’s return to Earth and the appearance of the androids.

Record of a Fierce Battle that Surpassed Time

Still in Age 764
Vegeta commences his special training in the gravity control room in order to become a Super Saiyan. Bulma begins to fall in love with him. Goku and Piccolo go to training school to obtain their air car licenses.
[A-ish]
While Vegeta’s gravity training is shown briefly in the manga, the rest of this is from filler.

Age 766
Trunks (chibi) is born this year.
Trunks’ official birth year, for both versions of him. Trunks is said to be 8 during the 25th TB in 774, which matches this.

Age 767
Goten is born this year
Goten’s official birth year, confirmed by the fact that he’s said to be 7 years old during the 25th TB, in 774. Though many people assume that Goten was conceived during the 9 days leading up to the Cell Games, for him to be born in 767, he would have to have been conceived by no later than March, while the Cell Games were in May (though I suppose that, as a half-alien hybrid, Goten’s gestation time could have been shorter than 9 months). All the narrator actually says when Goten is introduced is that he was left behind “before the battle with Cell”, which I guess means before the day the androids and Cell appeared.
May 7th: The 24th Tenkaichi Budoukai is held. Mister Satan is the champion of the adult division, while Videl is the children’s division champion.
The tournament announcer says during the 25th TB arc that the 24th TB occurred 7 years ago, placing it in this year. That Mister Satan was the adult champion was established by Videl, and the fact that Videl was the children’s champion was mentioned by the announcer right before Videl’s match with Spopovitch. As I’ve said before, May 7th is the standard date of the Tenkaichi Budoukai.

Some people think there’s a contradiction between the 24th TB being only 5 days before the androids appear, and Cell calling the Tenkaichi Budoukai a thing of the past, and thinking that Trunks wouldn’t know about it, but I think this would really only show that the TB no longer exists in Cell and Trunks’ futures. Cell came from over 20 years in the future, and has been living underground for the last 4 years, so he’d have no way of knowing that the tournament had just taken place. Trunks would also be not too familiar with what’s going on in the present world. When Mister Satan first appears, he is described as the “world grappling champion”, and when Videl tells Gohan about the Tenkaichi Budoukai, she describes it as a “tournament to decide the world grappling champion”, supporting the idea that Satan had already won the TB by the time he first appears.
May 12th: The artificial humans appear. Right after that, Cell appears in the afternoon. Piccolo merges with the Earth’s Kami. Goku passes out from his contagious disease. Krillin and Trunks (teenager) destroy the young form of the Cell that existed in this era.
This is the date that Trunks tells Goku the androids will appear on, in three year’s time. Everyone gathers at 9:30, and the androids appear at 10:17.
May 15th: Goku recovers from his contagious disease with the medicine that Trunks brought from the future. Vegeta and Trunks enter the Room of Spirit and Time.
After Cell appears, the narration says 3 days pass before Goku wakes up, even though Trunks had thought it would take 10 days.
May 16th: Cell evolves into his second stage, and then into his perfect form. Switching with Vegata and Trunks, Goku and Gohan enter the Room of Spirit and Time.
The narration says “almost a full day” passes between Vegeta and Trunks entering the Room of Spirit and Time and when No.17 and co. show up at Kame House.
May 17th: The opening of the Cell Games is broadcast to the entire world. Goku and Gohan emerge from the Room of Spirit and Time. Piccolo enters the Room of Spirit and Time.
The narration says that Cell's TV broadcast announcing the Cell Games came “the next day” after Cell reached his perfect form. Goku and Gohan emerge from the Room of Spirit and Time 3 hours short of a full day, according to Mister Popo. On this day, Piccolo tells Goku about the training order for the Room of Spirit and Time: Piccolo will go in first (on that same day, the 17th), then Vegeta the next day (on the 18th), and then finally Trunks (on the 19th).
May 18th: Switching with Piccolo, Vegeta once again enters the Room of Spirit and Time. Gohan visits Lime’s village, and stops the evil acts of Bourbon and his men.
[A]
I already explained about the Room of Spirit and Time training order. Gohan visiting Lime’s village is from the pre-Cell Games filler episode. I don’t know if that episode is explicitly set on the day after the Cell Games announcement, but it does happen before Cell blows up the Royal Defense Force, so it’s either on this day or the 17th (or I guess it could happen earlier on the 19th). The episode with Gohan’s birthday isn’t included in the timeline, but since it happened after the Lime episode but before the destruction of the Royal Defense Force, it had to have happened on either this day or early on the 19th.
May 19th: Goku and his family go hiking. Around noon, the Royal Defense Force is wiped out by Cell. Dende takes on the position of the Earth’s new Kami. Switching with Vegeta, Trunks enters the Room of Spirit and Time.
Right before the radio announcement of the Royal Defense Force’s attack on Cell, Chi Chi comments about nobody wanting to work if they’re just going to die in 7 days. That means that this happens two days after the announcement of the Cell Games, placing it here.
May 20th: Trunks comes out from the Room of Spirit and Time.
This is following the Room of Spirit and Time training order that Piccolo explained on the 17th. Trunks would have entered the Room of Spirit and Time on the 19th, after Vegeta left.
May 26th: The Cell Games begin at exactly noon. Goku dies again, and Gohan defeats Cell.
In the tankoubon release of the manga (and therefore Viz’s translation), the date of the Cell Games is given as “M 17th”. However, for the kanzenban release, it was changed to May 26th, matching this timeline. It’s not clear just what month “M” would be (must be the month they distribute high-tech gizmos), but since Trunks said the androids would appear on May 12th, if you add up all the numbers of days that are said to pass, it places the Cell Games on May 26th.
May 27th: A memorial service is held for Goku. Trunks (teenager) returns to the future.
After the Cell Games, Trunks says that he will return to the future the next day. No memorial service for Goku is explicitly mentioned in the manga, but everyone is shown wearing mourning clothes when they see Trunks off.
May~June: Goku goes to the Dai-Kaio Planet and meets the Dai-Kaio. The “North Kaio Done Gone and Died”-Commemoration Strongest in the Afterlife Tournament” is held. Goku and Paikuhan clash in the finals. The baby Trunks takes his first steps. “Urgent Special Broadcast!! All About Mister Satan, the Super Genius Strongest Grappler on Earth, who Save Humanity” is broadcast on television.
[A]
The “'North Kaio Done Gone and Died'-Commemoration Strongest in the Afterlife Tournament" is the full name of the Anoyo-ichi Budoukai/Strongest in the Afterlife Tournament. It being set from May to June is in reference to Goku dying in later May. Trunks’ first steps and the Mister Satan special are from filler episodes from after the Cell Games.

The Next Generation [do these people have a thing for Star Trek or something?]
Age 770
Krillin and No.18 get married.

Age 771
Marron is born.
The idea here seems to be that people always have children immediately after they get married (just look at Vegeta being born the year after King Vegeta weds, and Gohan being born a year after Goku and Chi Chi hook up). So if Marron was born in 771 (making her 3 in the Buu arc, about what she looks), then by this logic Kuririn and No.18 must have been married the year before.

Age 773
Kaioshin and Kibito come to Earth to search for Majin Buu’s ball, which was left there in the Before Age era.
I don’t think there’s anything from the series that indicates just when Kaioshin and Kibito came to Earth. I do wonder what they would have done in the year between their arrival and the tournament.

Age 774
March 28th: Gohan completes the first part of the enrollment process at Orange Star High School. The Golden Warrior is seen by the people of Satan City for the first time.
On Gohan’s first day of school (April 7th), Erasa tells him that the Golden Warrior was seen 3 time in the last 10 days, and Gohan thinks to himself that the first two times where when he came to Satan City to enroll. So this is 10 days before April 7th.
April 7th: Gohan in enrolled as a sophomore at Orange Star High School, and attends his first day of class, and meets Videl. On his way home from school, Gohan stops by Bulma’s house at around 3:00 PM, and at 5:12 PM he receives the completed transformation suits. Great Saiyaman appears in the city for the first time.
This date comes from the fact that Gohan starts school about a month before the 25th TB, which is on May 7th (I told you almost all the exact dates in this timeline are derived from the TB). Bulma says the transformation suit will be ready in about 2 hours, which is where the 3:00-5:12 thing comes from, though I don’t remember if those actual times were specified in the manga. This night would be when Gohan practices his Great Saiyaman poses for 2 hours.
April 8th: Videl uncovers the Great Saiyaman’s identity.
This fits the manga, where Videl takes all of 9 seconds to unmask Gohan, but not the anime, where several days seem to pass before Videl proves his identity. On the day Gohan is unmasked, one of his classmate says that a new hero appeared yesterday (named “the Great Tireman”), so manga-wise there is definitely only a day between the Great Saiyaman’s debut and Videl’s unmasking. On this day, Videl says that the 25th TB is a month away. Gohan asks Goten to help him train tomorrow.
April 9th: Gohan teaches Videl Bukujutsu. The South Kaio observes Goku’s training.
Gohan and Goten are shown starting their training the day after Videl pressures Gohan to enter the TB, and Videl shows up soon after. The scene with South Kaio observing Goku’s training in Heaven under North Kaio is also today. Videl learns to float by the end of this day (Goten is already zooming around).
April 10th: Vegeta is surprised to learn that his son Trunks (chibi) can already become a Super Saiya-jin.
This is also the day that Videl shows up with short hair, after Gohan told her the previous day that long hair would be a disadvantage in a fight.
April 20th: Videl masters Bukujutsu.
The narration (which is apparently by Gohan) says Videl masters Bukujutsu ten days after she shows up with short hair. Gohan and Goten start training for real after this.
May 7th: The 25th Tenkaichi Budoukai opens. Goku returns to this world for a single day. Majin Buu appears. In order to defeat Buu, Vegeta explodes and dies. The wizard Babidi is killed by Buu. Goku transforms into a Super Saiya-jin 3, uses up his power, and returns to the afterlife earlier than planned. The Elder Kaioshin is released from being sealed in the Z Sword, and begins the ritual to draw out Gohan’s power.

May 8th: Piccolo, Gotenks, and Gohan are absorbed by Buu. Humanity is exterminated through Buu’s power. Goku returns to life in exchange for the Elder Kaioshin’s life. Vegeta returns to the world for one day. The Earth is annihilated by the evil Buu. The Earth is restored by Porunga’s power. Vegeta, Elder Kaioshin, and the rest come back to life. Goku wipes Buu out with the Super Genki Dama collected from the genki of all humanity.
May 7th is of course the standard date of the TB. The timeline is mistaken to put the Elder Kaioshin’s release on the same day as the 25th TB and Buu’s revival. In the manga, after Goku reunites with Gohan in the Kaioshin Realm, the narration says that a day passes (by which time Buu has already destroyed 80% of the world’s population and cities). It’s at this point that the Elder Kaioshin is released, making it the 8th (this is also when Gotenks is formed for the first time). He says that his power-up of Gohan will take 25 hours (5 hours for the funky dance, and 20 for the sitting portion; Elder Kaioshin later says that Gohan’s power-up is taking longer than a normal one, apparently because of Gohan’s massive dormant power). This means that Gohan’s power-up is finished on the 9th, which is therefore when the final battle with Buu takes place. Buu builds his house before the first jump to the next day, so that was on the 7th. It’s unclear when the shift to the final day is, but I think it’s around when Satan is shown reading Buu “A Dog of Flanders”. So the sequence of events for the Buu arc goes like this:

May 7th: 25th Tenkaichi Budoukai, attack on Babidi’s ship, Buu’s revival, Vegeta dies, Gohan is taken to the Kaioshin Realm and draws out the Z Sword, Goku and Piccolo start teaching Fusion to Goten and Trunks, SSJ3 Goku vs. Majin Buu, Buu kills Babidi and builds his house, Goku returns to the afterlife, Goku goes to the Kaioshin Realm and reunites with Gohan

May 8th: Buu has destroyed 80% of the Earth’s population and cities. The Elder Kaioshin is released and begins Gohan’s power-up, Buu meets the little blind boy, Goten and Trunks fuse into Gotenks for the first time, Mister Satan is sent to fight Buu and ends up living with him, Goten and Trunks form SSJ Gotenks

May 9th: Buu befriends the dog Bee, the evil gunmen shoot Bee and Satan, Evil Buu is born, Evil Buu fights Gotenks, Gohan’s power-up is complete, Evil Buu absorbs Gotenks and Piccolo and beats Gohan, Vegetto fights Evil Buu, Buu reverts into Pure Buu, and Goku destroys Pure Buu with a Genki-Dama.
September 7th: The people of Earth’s memories of Majin Buu are erased by Shenron.
After Bulma and co. use the dragonballs to revive those killed by Vegeta at the tournament, Dende says that if only one wish is used (and since the wish was to revive a large group of people, it counts for two wishes), then the dragonballs will revive in only four months time, and the remaining wish can be used then. That was on May 7th, so four months later gets you September 7th.
Age 778
May 7th: The 26th Tenkaichi Budoukai opens. Mister Satan is the champion, and Mister Buu is the runner-up.

Age 781
May 7th: The 27th Tenkaichi Budoukai is held. The champion is Mister Satan, and Mister Buu is the runner-up.
We learn from the last two chapters of the manga that two other TBs were held in the 10 year period between Buu’s defeat and when Goku meets Uub, since he meets Uub at the 28th TB. Nothing is said about just when these tournaments were though. This would put four years between the 25th and 26th TB, three years between the 26th and 27th TB, and another three years between the 27th and 28th TB, which seems a reasonable way to space them out. The note on Satan winning both these tournaments and Buu being the runner-up comes from the second-to-last manga chapter, where Satan tells Buu to “follow the plan from the last few tournaments”, and purposefully lose to Satan in the final round. In the last chapter, Goku says that Buu used his magic to fix the match-up lottery so that Satan and Buu wouldn’t fight until the finals, and Satan wouldn’t get put up against anyone too strong. By the time of the 28th TB though, Satan has the position of “Super Champion”, and only has to fight the winner of the tournament, sort of like a boss in a fighting game.
Age 779
Pan is born in this year.

Age 780
Bra is born in this year.
(OK, so I’m skipping around a bit here)

While Pan’s birth year has been consistently given as 779, Bra has two different ones. Here and in the GT Perfect Files timeline, it’s given as 780, making her a year younger than Pan. But in her Daizenshuu 7 bio (in the same book as this timeline, as it were), it says she was born in 778, making her a year older than Pan.

Age 784
May 7th: The 28th Tenkaichi Budoukai opens. Goku sets out on a journey, taking Uub with him.
This is 10 years after the Buu arc of course.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
SSj_Rambo wrote:The only suggestion I have is that it would be cool if in each quote, instead of just making the quote, make the author the guidebook the info was taken from or first printed in. That may be a bit more work, but most of it will just be "Daizenshuu 7 wrote:"... right?
Well, every single quote is from Daizenshuu 7's timeline. Unless you mean that I should use the "so-and-so wrote" feature to mark which items are based on the manga, or the anime, or are new information, but that's what the evaluation is for.
Chuquita wrote:Wait, does this mean that there's still an actual, real saiyajin homeworld out there that Freeza didn't know about? Since "Planet Vegeta" wasn't the original Planet Vegeta.
Yeah, presumably. The first GT Perfect Files book has a little box talking about that, saying that "Planet Saiya" (as they call it) must still be out there somewhere.
Last edited by Herms on Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:36 am

A "Planet Saiya".....that's such an interesting mysterious tidbit. X3
Thank you.

Also, Chi-Chi's mother dying of an illness must've made the Jinzoningen arc that much more painful for her when Goku fell ill with that virus. :(
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:46 am

Now on to the events of the actual series:

DragonBall

Age 749:
During all of April: Bulma enters West City high school
[?]
Not sure what this is based on. Maybe just the Japanese school system schedule?
A certain month and day: Bulma discovers the 2-star ball in her house’s basement.
Bulma never specifies just when she found her first dragonball.
August 22nd: Bulma discovers the 5-star ball in North Valley
In chapter 1, Bulma tells Goku that she found the 5-Star Ball ten days ago (this line drops out in the Viz translation). So this is 10 days before September 1st, the date Bulma meets Goku.
September 1st: Goku and Bulma meet. Bulma is in the middle of summer vacation. She identifies Goku’s keepsake of his grandfather as being the 4-star ball.
The beginning! OK, first off, why is the month given as September? Because after the search for the DBs wraps up, Goku trains for 8 months before entering the 21st Tenkaichi Budoukai. The Tenkaichi Budoukai is on May 7th, so eight months earlier would be in September of the previous year. So you end up with the DB search ending sometime around September 7th, so you just backtrack from there using the passages of time that are mentioned to get the date that Goku and Bulma meet. Picking the date the DB search ends is a bit arbitrary, since presumably Goku didn’t train for exactly 8 months to the day. I wonder if they intentionally set things up so that the beginning of the story would also occur at the beginning of a month? Not mentioned in the timeline is that Bulma and Goku camp at during the night.
September 2nd: In the morning, Goku and Bulma meet Kame-sennin, and receive the 3-star ball.
This is the next day after Goku and Bulma met, following the manga, which shows them camp for the night after they meet, and get up in the morning.
September 5th: Goku takes care of Oolong. He and Bulma receive the 6-star ball from Grandma Paozu.
Narration in the fourth chapter says that 3 days pass between Bulma and Goku’s meeting with Kame-sennin and their arrival in Oolong’s village. Incidentally, Grandma Paozu is referred to by name in the original, but never called by name in the Viz translation.
September 6th: Goku meets Yamcha
[?]
I don’t remember if it says a day passes between them recruiting Oolong and meeting Yamcha.
September 9th: Goku defeats Yamcha.
This is a mistake. In the series, Goku meets Yamcha, Yamcha attacks again that night, and then comes attacking once again on the next morning, at which point Goku defeats him. So if Goku met Yamcha on the 6th, then he should defeat him on the 7th, not the 9th.
September 9th: In the morning, Kame-sennin wipes out the fire of Mt. Fry-pan with a “Kamehameha”. Bulma discovers the 7-star ball in the rubble of Gyuumao’s castle. In the afternoon, the Mushroom City gang “Rabbit Gang” are punished by Goku. The 2~7-star balls are stolen by Pilaf and his gang. At night, with all the dragonballs present, Shenron appears. Goku destroys Castle Pilaf after looking at the full moon and becoming an Oozaru.
I’m pretty sure there’s some bit of narration that says that Bulma and co. arrive at Mt. Fry-pan 2 days after Yamcha’s defeat, but I kind of forgot to write that down. Anyway, from Mt. Fry-pan to Pilaf, the only night scene that’s shown is the one at the end, when Pilaf summons Shenlong, so it’s reasonable to say that that was all one day, although a busy one to be sure. This is the only place I know of that the Rabbit Gang's town is given a name ("Mushroom City").
September 10th: Goku and Krillin become pupils of Kame-sennin.
The day after Oozaru Goku’s rampage. This would also be the day Goku parts ways with Bulma and co, and the day Goku and Kuririn hunt for the stone, and everyone but Goku eats blowfish for dinner.
September 11th: Kame-sennin, Krillin, and Lunch are bedridden by food poisoning they got from the blowfish they ate the previous day.
This comes from the chapter ending narration from the stone-hunting chapter. The narration says everyone was out for 3 days, so just to be clear this should probably say September 11-13th, although since it gets the day they’d start training again right, I guess it doesn’t really matter.
September 14th: Goku and Krillin’s training begins at 4:30 in the morning. They devote themselves to training for the next eight months.
The series says that the Tenkaichi Budoukai is 8 months away when Goku and Kuririn start training. Since the dragonballs are revived by that time this is a bit of a plothole, but maybe the dragonballs regenerated earlier than normal because Oolong’s wish was so minor?
October 2nd: The second semester begins at West City high school.
Back in the second chapter, Bulma said that she had 30 days of vacation left. That was on September 1st, so this would be when school starts up again. In Japan, the spring semester is seen as the start of the academic year, which is why this fall semester is referred to as the second semester.

Age 750
April 6th: The volume of the training shells which Goku and Krillin wear on their back is increased to 40 kilos.
The scenes with Goku and Kuririn freaking out Kame-sennin with their strength, and he ups the weight of their shells, are said to be about a month before the tournament.
Last edited by Herms on Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:55 am

Herms wrote:
Around Age 250: Uranai Baba begins divining.
[?]
This is exactly 500 years before when Goku first meets Uranai Baba, in Age 750. But other than that, I’m not sure where this date comes from. I’m pretty sure nothing is said in the manga about Uranai Baba divining for 500 years. Is there some filler scene where she says that? Note that this puts Uranai Baba as being at least 180 years older than her younger brother, Kame-sennin. I suppose this could be because their parents are immortal.
Not sure about the manga, but I definately recall it being said in the anime, and finding it odd that Muten Roshi and his sister had such a large age gap.
Herms wrote:
Age 747: Yamcha and Puar meet
I believe this is new information. It means Yamcha and Puar had known each other for 2 years when they first appear, and met when Yamcha was 14 and Puar was 7 (Puar’s bio says he was born in 740, the same year as Oolong). I think though that this might be based on the fact that Puar graduated from the shape-shifting kindergarten, and presumably he met Yamcha after that. I suppose 7 would be a reasonable age to graduate kindergarten.
And I'm sure I've heard that too, Yamcha was all like "... How long have you known me?" when Puar is like "Whut? Stop being shy around girls? What about infinite money or something?"

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:59 am

Chuquita wrote:
Wait, does this mean that there's still an actual, real saiyajin homeworld out there that Freeza didn't know about? Since "Planet Vegeta" wasn't the original Planet Vegeta.

That bit about Toninjinka made me laugh. :lol:
If the sayans took Planet Plant as their homeworld than maybe their original homeworld had something wrong.

Maybe the same thing or a similar thing that happened to planet Namek happened to Planet Saya, and the sayans that invaded Planet Plant are the survivors and thats why they took so long to conquer the planet. They were few, but grew in numbers with the years gone by.

I mean, knowing the sayans maybe they turned their homeworld uninhabitable due to their constant fighting and destrution.

The same thing didn`t happened to planet Plant because by then they had evolved somewhat and were more carefull with their planet and because they didn`t stay as long in Planet Plant as in their former homeworld.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:25 am

They probably all moved to Planet Plant because the high gravity would make them STROOOONGGEEEEER.

I was saying in the IRC the other day, I wonder if Roshi and Baba's parents are related to the afterlife somehow. It might explain how Baba has so much authority there, being able to bring people back to life for a day n all. I know it's a rule of the afterlife, but what makes Baba so involved?

Well, she is a witch. Their parents could have been anything for all we know.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:31 am

SaiyamanMS wrote:Not sure about the manga, but I definately recall it being said in the anime, and finding it odd that Muten Roshi and his sister had such a large age gap.
A-ha! Thanks for the information. I'm pretty sure there was no such line in the manga.

A Grand Soaring Era

Still in Age 750
April 18th: The Red Ribbon Army’s Silver Platoon begins its hunt for the dragonballs.
In the chapter where Goku first meets the Red Ribbon Army, one of Silver’s underlings says that they’ve been searching for that one dragonball for some amount of time, but I didn’t write it down. I’d assume the date here matches it, meaning they were searching for about 3 weeks before Goku showed up. Note that it’s not known how long the RR itself had been searching for the dragonballs, just Silver’s group.
May 6th: Goku and the others set out from Kame House in order to enter the Tenkaichi Budoukai.
May 7th: The 21st Tenkaichi Budoukai is held. Jacky Chun is the champion, and Goku is the runner-up.
In the series, everyone sets out the day before the tournament, which takes only a single day.
May 7th: Goku and Pilaf contest with the Red Ribbon Army for the 6-star ball. The Red Ribbon Army obtains the 6-star ball in Pilaf’s secret base in the desert. The Red Ribbon Army continues on to obtain the 5-star ball. Goku and Chi Chi reunite at Gyuumao’s village.
[A]
This is all taken from RR Army arc filler. I’ve seen barely any of the anime version of the RR arc, so I can’t say how well setting them all in a single day works. Going by the manga, this is the day Brown Corp finds their dragonball (7-Star Ball?), since on the 8th Silver says he found it the day before.
May 8th: The Red Ribbon Army’s main northern base Muscle Tower is wiped out by Goku.
In the manga, Goku is shown setting off from the TB grounds at night, and at the start of the next chapter it is morning, at which point he runs across Silver and co. So this all fits the manga version of things, but I’m not sure about the anime.
May 9th: Bulma finishes repairing Goku’s Dragon Radar at 11:02 AM. Goku and General Blue have an offensive and defensive battle at Penguin Village. General Blue is repelled by Arale-chan. General Blue is killed by Tao Pai Pai. Goku is beaten by Tao Pai Pai in a battle at the Karin Holy Land. Goku begins to climb Karin Tower.
After destroying Muscle Tower, Goku spends the night at Jingle Village and sets off for West City the next day, so this fits. From that point to when Goku climbs Karin Tower, there’s no night shown, so it does all seems to be a single day.

When Goku reunites with Bulma on this date, Bulma says that tomorrow is Sunday (in Viz she says tomorrow is Saturday, presumably due to differences between the Japanese and American school systems). This means that the 21st TB was held on a Thursday, and Goku takes out Muscle Tower on Friday. He then reunites with Bulma, beats Blue, and is beaten by Tao Pai Pai on this Saturday, reaches the top of Karin Tower on Sunday, and gets the Super Holy Water and takes out Tao Pai Pai and the Red Ribbon Army on Tuesday.
May 10th: Summer vacation begins at Penguin Village’s Village High School. In the early morning, Goku finishes his climb of Karin Tower. He begins his training of trying to steal the Super Holy Water from Karin-sama.
In the Dr. Slump crossover chapter, Arale and co. discuss their summer vacation starting. Goku is shown sleeping on Karin Tower and reaching the top in the morning.
May 12th: Goku snatches the Super Holy Water from Karin-sama on his third day of training. Goku defeats Tao Pai Pai and wipes out Red Ribbon Army Headquarters. At Uranai Baba’s palace, Goku is reunited with his deceased adoptive parent Son Gohan.
Karin says Goku managed to get the Super Holy Water in only 3 days (as compared to Kame-sennin’s 3 years). All these events are shown to be the same day in the manga (no nights or pauses in the story or anything).
Sometime in July: Namu’s village enters its rainy season.
I think this refers to one of the villagers in Namu’s flashback to his village (when Jacky Chun is reading his mind) saying that the rainy season won’t be for another 2 months. That was in May, so the rainy season would be now. In some of the online translations of the timeline, it incorrectly describes Namu’s village as being on Namek (?!).
Age 750~753 : Goku sets out on a journey to train. At Chao’s village, he puts down Kinkaku and Ginkaku. He meets Chin Taiken, and confronts Tenron in a match. Goku passes through the Demon Realm Gate in the Kres Kingdom and has a showdown with Shura. Goku meets Tenshinhan when he takes cares of Inoshikachou.
[A]
All of this is from the anime filler arc of Goku’s training for the 22nd TB.

Age 753
May 5th: Goku and Konkichi meet. Goku sets out for the Tenkaichi Budoukai grounds on Papaya Island.
[A]
Another one from the same filler arc. I’ve never seen any of these episodes, so I don’t know if it establishes itself as taking place two days before the 22nd TB.
May 7th: The 22nd Tenkaichi Budoukai is held. Tenshinhan is the champion, and Goku is the runner-up. Piccolo Daimao appears.
This fits the manga, but not the anime, where the 22nd TB is shown as taking place over a number of days. It’s interesting that they’d do this when they included all that other anime stuff before. It must be because the date of Daimao’s TV speech is set in stone.
May 8th: At King Castle, the current king holds a memorial ceremony for the 20th year of his reign.
On the 7th, in the series Goku leaves the TB grounds, gets beaten by Tambourine, and then it’s shown to be nighttime at the TB grounds. Then when Goku wakes up, it’s daytime again, meaning that this day is when Goku meets Yajirobe and ends up being beaten by Daimao. Kame-sennin and Chaozu die, Daimao gets his youth and kills Shenlong, and then attacks King Castle. Goku and Yajirobe then reach the top of Karin Tower during the night, and Goku drinks the Super God Water.

The King celebrating his 20th year of rule is taken from the anime. Frankly, I’m not sure why it’s worth mentioning over all of the above events.
May 9th: Goku defeats Piccolo Daimao. Ma Junior is born. Goku goes to Kami’s temple, and from this day on receives training from Kami for the next 3 years.
Goku is shown finally overcoming the effects of the Super God Water in the morning of the next day (Karin says he was suffering for 6 hours, so it seems Goku drank the SGW around midnight). It’s also in the morning that Tenshinhan finally perfects the Mafuuba. Then Piccolo gives his TV speech announcing that each year on this day he’ll destroy one of the world’s 43 regions. During the speech, he says that the date is May 9th.

Age 756
May 7th: The 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai is held. The 18 year old Goku gets engaged to his opponent Chi Chi in the middle of the match. Goku shined in winning his first Tenkaichi Budoukai championship. The runner-up was Ma Junior.
All this just from the series, and from the TB being always on May 7th. Notice that it describes Goku as being 18 years old, when he turns 19 in 756. More support for the idea that Goku's birthday is sometime after May 7th.
May 7th: Goku and Chi Chi hold their wedding ceremony at Mt. Fry-pan. During that time, Gyuumao’s castle catches fire, and the two of them set out to find the Bashosen in order to put out the flames.
May 8th: Chi Chi trains as a bride under Grandma Hakkake. Goku and Chi Chi obtain the Bashosen, but learn that the flames on Gyuumao’s castle are special ones from the Furnace of Eight Divinations, and they head off to the Mountain of Five Elements. At the Furnace of Eight Divinations on the Mountain of Five Elements, Goku reunites with his grandpa Son Gohan. Goku puts out the flames of the Furnace of Eight Divinations.
[A]
This is all from the Mt. Fry-Pan filler arc at the end of the original DB series. It’s been a really long time since I saw it, so I’m not sure how this matches up with the events of those episodes.

Age 757
Sometime in May: Gohan is born.
757 is Gohan’s official birth year. Gohan being born in May could refer to the filler episode before the Cell Games (which were in May) where Gohan celebrates his birthday, although I believe in that episode Gohan actually says that it’s not his birthday, and Chi Chi just wants to celebrate it because Gohan got a year older in the Room of Spirit and Time (though this still wouldn’t rule out his birthday being during some other time in May). It may also be based on the fact that at the start of the Buu arc, the narrator says that Gohan is 16, though since the Buu arc is in 774, Gohan should turn 17 that year. So him still being 16 would mean that his birthday is later in the year then when he first goes to Orange Star High School, which is in April.
Age 759~760: Goku is interviewed by Weekly Shounen Jump.
[?]
This one’s always been a puzzle. However, picture 108 in Daizenshuu 1 (an image of Goku holding Raditz-era Gohan) is described (in the image index in the back) as being drawn for “a feature called Jump Hero Biographies”. This Jump Hero Biographies came out in the same issue of Jump as chapter 230, when the story was in the middle of the battle with Vegeta. I think that maybe this Jump Hero Biographies feature could have included an “interview” with Goku, possibly set before Raditz’s arrival, since setting it right where the story was at the time would have been kind of weird (“So Goku, what are you up to these days?” “Well, right now I’m in the middle of a fight to the death with that Vegeta guy over there”), but set after Gohan’s birth (since young Gohan’s shown in the image). That’s just my theory though.
Last edited by Herms on Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:31 am

If the sayans took Planet Plant as their homeworld than maybe their original homeworld had something wrong.
Wasn't something said somewhere (anime, I think?) that the last Super Saiya-jin couldn't control his power and blew up the world he was on? Could be what happened to Saiya~

Though, personally, I still prefer the idea that the Saiya-jins were native to Plant and 'grew up' with the Tuffles.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:37 am

Herms wrote: Yeah, presumably. The first GT Perfect Files book has a little box talking about that, saying that "Planet Saiya" (as they call it) must still be out there somewhere.
Wait... So with that in mind, is it possible that some saiyans stayed behind? There could still be Saiyans out there?

I can feel the giggling anticipation of fanfiction writers everywhere.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:43 am

I can feel the giggling anticipation of fanfiction writers everywhere.
Been done before already. XD Just search for The Return on FFnet~
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:56 am

Wait, wasn't the Strongest Under the Heavens Tournament two days? Or was the scene where the group is show eating dinner filler? When Krillin sees his old monk bullies from Oran?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:59 am

B wrote:Wait, wasn't the Strongest Under the Heavens Tournament two days? Or was the scene where the group is show eating dinner filler? When Krillin sees his old monk bullies from Oran?
Kuririn saw the bullies at the preliminaries. The dinner in between and everything was filler. The tournament happened all in one go in the manga.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:04 am

First Contact

Age 761
Goku confronts Garlic Jr. and his men after they kidnap Gohan.
[A]
This comes from DBZ movie 1, which is set a little while before Raditz’a arrival. There are some small contradictions between the movie and the timeline of the series (Kuririn meeting Gohan during the course of the movie, but not knowing about him they day Raditz arrives). Though I guess you could argue that since it doesn’t mention all the events of DBZ movie 1, then the contradictory parts simply didn’t happen in this timeline or something. Anyway, DBZ movie 1 and 5 are the only movies to be featured on the timeline. Why those two? Well, DBZ movie 1 is probably included because of the Garlic Jr. filler arc, which the timeline also includes, since it includes all the major filler arcs. DBZ movie 5 might be simply because of the Barduck special connection, since the events of the special are included in the timeline.
October 12th: Raditz invades Earth. Goku dies. Vegeta and Nappa depart for Earth. On the way there they destroy Planet Aria, and then enter cold sleep.
So it lists October 12th as when Goku dies, and November 3rd as when Vegeta and Nappa come to Earth. This means that a full year and three weeks pass between Raditz and Vegeta+Nappa’s arrival. This is a mistake. Now, it’s not a mistake because this leaves Goku dead for longer than a year, as Greg Werner says in his translation of the timeline. The limit of only being able to bring back those who died in the last year is only mentioned once, in connection with bringing back large numbers of people who all died from the same cause (like all those killed by Vegeta or Freeza and his men). Nothing is ever said about this limit applying to reviving a single person. After Kaio hears Kami explain about this one-year limit in regards to large groups of people, Kaio doesn’t hesitate to ask Tenshinhan and co. to wait another year before being wished back. If the year limit applied to reviving individuals, Kaio would effectively be asking them to give up ever coming back to life. So anyway, there’s no contradiction here.

The problem is that the narration says Goku reaches Kaio’s planet after 6 months of running on the Serpent Road, at which point Kaio says that Vegeta and Nappa will arrive in 158 days. That means that there was only about 11 months and 8 days between Goku’s death and Vegeta and Nappa’s arrival, so these dates don’t work. Interestingly, as TripleRach has noted, these dates would work perfectly if they were switched around, so that Goku died on November 3rd,, 761, and Vegeta and Nappa arrive on October 12th, 762.

The thing about Vegeta and Nappa destroying Planet Arlia on the way to Earth is taken from the anime.
Some month and day: Gohan begins training under Piccolo. After falling into some underground ruins, Gohan meets an old-model robot, who he becomes dear to. Yamcha takes a part-time job as a baseball player. Gripped by homesickness, Gohan flees from his training. However, he meets Pigero and his fellow orphans, and his courage returns.
[A]
This is all taken from the anime filler of everyone’s training, though the idea of Yamcha working as a baseball player was Toriyama’s idea. “Some month and day” is misleading, at least as far as the manga goes, since Gohan is shown beginning his wilderness survival training on the same day as Goku’s death.

Age 762
Sometime in March: Krillin, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Chaozu, and Yajirobe commence their training and Kami’s temple.
[A?]
In the manga, the narration says that after Yajirobe starts rounding everyone up the day after Goku’s death, Tenshinhan and the others were found right away and began training at Kami’s palace. So manga-wise at least, saying they didn’t start training until 5 months later is baseless. This may fit the anime though.
April 29th: Goku arrives at Kaio Planet from the Serpent Road.
The narration says that Goku reaches Kaio’s planet after running for 6 months, so this fits if October 12th is used as the starting date. However, at this point Kaio says that the Saiyans will arrive in 158 days (5 months and 8 days), but like I said before, this timeline has the Saiyans arriving on November 3, 7 months later, which is too long. Using October 12th as the date of Goku’s death, it would be more accurate for the Saiyans to arrive sometime around September 20th. However, if making a better timeline, I’d personally prefer to use November 3rd as the date of Vegeta and Nappa’s arrival, but then work backwards from that to determine a new date for Goku’s death, making it sometime around November 25th. This way we only have to change the dates of Goku’s death and his arrival at Kaio’s, whereas if we change the date for Vegeta and Nappa’s arrival, we have to change all the dates for the Namek/Freeza arc, all the way up to when Trunks arrives. Also, using November 3rd as the date of Vegeta and Nappa’s arrival puts the battle with Freeza near to Christmas, and a short side manga by Toriyama shows the characters from around the fight with Ginyu and Freeza all celebrating Christmas.
May 9th: Goku catches Bubbles. After that, he begins his training of hitting the super-fast Gregory with a hammer.
Around May 23rd: Goku succeeds in hitting Gregory with a hammer.
[A-ish]
Gregory is of course unique to the anime (though Toriyama created him for the filler). In the manga, the narration says that Goku succeeds in catching Bubbles after 40 days, at which point 118 days remain before the Saiyans’ arrival. The anime splits this 40 day period up between Goku catching Bubbles and Goku bonking Gregory with the hammer. So in the anime, it says that Goku catches Bubbles after 3 weeks, then when he catches Gregory Kaio says 118 days are left. Again, these dates don’t work with the Saiyans arriving on November 3rd. If 118 days remain on around May 23rd, then the Saiyans should arrive around September 23rd.
Sometime in May: Krillin, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and Chaozu go on a trip through time. They are completely defeated in their battle with the two Saiya-jin they meet there. Realizing their inexperience, they resolve to train further.
[A]
This is taken from the anime. I don’t know if the date of May matches what is said in the episode about the time (5 months before the Saiyans arrive, 7 months after Goku’s death).
November 2nd: Goku completes his training and returns to life.
Goku being revived the day before the Saiyans arrive fits the manga. According to Kame-sennin, they weren’t expecting the Saiyans for another month, which fits them arriving after 11 months and 8 days or so.
November 3: Vegeta and Nappa arrive on Earth. Goku, Gohan, Krillin, Piccolo, battle Vegeta and Nappa. Piccolo, Tenshinhan, Chaozu, and Yamcha die. An ultra-miniature insect-type spy robot harvests cells from Goku and the others to be used for Cell.
It matches the manga for the whole fight with Vegeta and Nappa to take place on a single day. The thing about the spy-robot is from Cell’s explanation of himself to Piccolo, where he says Cells from Goku, Piccolo, and Vegeta were harvested during the fight with Vegeta. Incidentally, the manga says that Vegeta and Nappa arrive at 11:43 AM, and reach Gohan and Piccolo at 12:20 PM. Then they fight for awhile, and then wait three hours for Goku to show up. This means Goku showed up sometime after 3:20 PM.
November 4th: Goku and the others are hospitalized in West City hospital.
The narration in the manga says “the next day” when it shows Goku and co. in the hospital.
November 7th: Gohan and Krillin’s treatment ends.
Kuririn says on the 4th that he and Gohan only have to stay for three days, since their injuries are much lighter than Goku’s (the doctor said Goku wouldn’t be healed for 4 months). Karin also says at this time that there will be new senzu ready in one month.
November 9th: The remodeling of Kami’s spaceship is completed.
After checking out Kami’s ship on the 4th, Bulma says that it can be remodeled in 5 days.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:25 am

(Forgive me father, for I have double-posted)
Bussani wrote:
B wrote:Wait, wasn't the Strongest Under the Heavens Tournament two days? Or was the scene where the group is show eating dinner filler? When Krillin sees his old monk bullies from Oran?
Kuririn saw the bullies at the preliminaries. The dinner in between and everything was filler. The tournament happened all in one go in the manga.
Yeah, the 21-23rd Tenkaichi Budoukais are all a single day in the manga, but shown as being several days in the anime. Anyone know how many days exactly, though?

A Life Burning in Space

Still in Age 762
November 14th: The Namekian language translation operation is completed. Gohan, Krillin, and Bulma set out for Planet Namek.
On the 4th, Bulma says that though the ship remodeling will only take 5 days, the language translation won’t be done for 10 days, 5 days after the remodeling ends. So she says that they’ll leave once that’s finished, 10 days later.
November 21st: Vegeta returns to Planet Freeza No.79.
December 13th: Vegeta’s injuries are healed. He immediately sets off for Planet Namek.
The narration says that he reaches the planet 18 days after he left Earth. In the manga (and anime too I think) his medical treatment seems to end not very long after he gets there, so why does the timeline have it as taking over three weeks? We know that Vegeta reached Planet Namek on the same day Bulma and co. did, December 18th. The assumption here seems to be that Vegeta’s ship is as fast as Ginyu and co.’s ships, which were capable of reaching Planet Namek in 5 days starting from Planet Freeza No.79. If Vegeta’s ship was that fast, since he’s shown leaving immediately after being healed, that would leave a 22 day discrepancy: Bulma and co. leave Earth 11 days after Vegeta does and take 34 days to get there, so they take 45 days to reach Namek total, whereas Vegeta takes only 23 (18 to Planet Freeza and 5 to Namek), yet they reach there at almost exactly the same time. So that’s why the timeline has Vegeta’s healing take 22 days, to correct the discrepancy. However, I personally think it’d be easier to just say that Vegeta’s ship was much slower than Ginyu and co.’s. Ginyu and co. are higher up on the food chain in Freeza’s organization after all, so it would make sense for them to be given better ships than him.
December 18th: Vegeta, Kui, as well as Bulma and the others all land on Planet Namek out almost exactly the same time. Goku sets off for Planet Namek. Krillin sets off for Saichourou’s house under Dende’s guidance. Piccolo, Tenshinhan, Chaozu, and Yamcha arrive on Kaio Planet and commence training. Goku’s spaceship is endangered when it is captured by the gravity of Star αHZ. Goku unleashes a Kamehameha outside the ship, and the recoil gets him out of danger.

The narration says they reach Namek 34 days after leaving Earth, so this is 34 days after November 14th. Telling when time passes on Planet Namek can be hard, since there’s no night. Everyone up to Bulma and co. arriving on Namek to Goku talking with Kaio seems to be set on the same day (which means Goku reaches 50g on his first day of training!). Goku leaves 2 hours after Bulma contacts Kame-sennin. It’s said that he’ll reach Namek in 6 days, so that gives a limit to how much time can pass between now and then. This day is also when Vegeta kills Dodoria.
December 19th: While in the middle of capturing Planet Yardrat, the Ginyu Special-Squad depart from Planet Freeza No.79 to Planet Namek under Freeza’s orders.
Freeza orders Ginyu and co. to come to Namek on this day. It’s said that they’ll arrive in 5 days. Since Goku was going to arrive on Namek in 6 days, and he ends up arriving shortly after Ginyu and co., this means that a day has passed since Goku left. The transition between days seems to come when the scene switches back to Namek after Goku’s conversation with Kaio. This is the day Vegeta is beaten by Zarbon. Zarbon takes Vegeta to receive medical treatment, which is when the scene switches to the next day.
December 20: After being beaten by Zarbon, Vegeta makes a full recovery. Krillin sets out again for Saichourou’s house, taking Gohan with him. Zarbon is defeated and killed while fighting Vegeta a second time.
The transition to this day is marked by the narration explaining about how there’s no night on Namek (naturally, ne). Kuririn arrives at Saichourou’s on this day. He then makes it back to Bulma in no time, Vegeta kills Zarbon and takes Kuririn’s dragonball, and Gohan outwits Vegeta. As Vegeta sits on his pile of dragonballs and decides he can do nothing but wait, another jump ahead in time occurs. The narration says that 2 days pass, and the scene switches to Goku training in space (placing this scene on the 22nd); in Viz, the narration box saying “2 days later” is changed to say “meanwhile”, giving it quite the opposite meaning. During this scene on the 22nd, Goku is training at 100g and almost kills himself training, but recovers with a senzu. The narrator says that only 3 senzu are left.
December 23rd: Goku completes his training in his spaceship.
From that last part with Goku training, the narration says that another day passes (making it the 23rd), and Goku realizes that the training doesn’t wear him out anymore, so he stops, deciding to spend his final day resting.
December 24th: Goku lands on Planet Namek. The Ginyu Special-Squad is wiped out. Piccolo returns to life. Krillin dies. Goku becomes a Super Saiya-jin and defeats Freeza. Planet Namek is annihilated.
After the scene gets back to Namek, Freeza says that Zarbon has been gone for 4 days (placing this on the 24th, if Zarbon was killed on the 20th). Gohan and Kuririn reach Saichourou’s house, and then all the craziness with Ginyu and then Freeza breaks out. After Goku is wounded in the battle with Ginyu, Vegeta says that Goku will take 40-50 minutes to heal. That means that everyone from then until Goku being healed, including the summoning of Polunga, Piccolo’s revival, and the battle with Freeza up to Vegeta’s defeat, all took 40-50 minutes.

Going by this timeline, Goku fights Ginyu and Freeza on Christmas Eve. A short (5 panels) side manga by Toriyama shows the characters celebrating Christmas in various ways, all exactly where they would be during this point in the Namek/Freeza arc. I think that side manga is why all the Namek/Freeza stuff is set in later December, or at least one of the reasons.

Age 763
May 3rd: Krillin and Yamcha are revived.
September 10th: Tenshinhan and Chaozu are revived. Having taken refuge on Earth, the Namekians migrate to New Planet Namek.
This comes from the Namekian dragonballs taking 130 days to recharge. Kuririn and Yamcha are revived 130 days after Freeza’s defeat, and then Tenshinhan and Chaozu are revived 130 days later. This is all said in narration. From this point, the narration says that it’s about a year before Trunks appears.
Sometime in October: Planet Makyo approaches Earth for the first time in 5,000 years. The revived Garlic Jr. confronts Gohan and the others.
[A]
This is from the Garlic Jr. filler arc of course. Placing it in October would mean that it takes place very shortly after Tenshinhan and Chaozu’s revival. Was anything said about this in these episodes? It’s been a long time since I’ve seen them (I suppose I could have researched the anime portion of this evaluation a little better…).
Sometime or another: Cell arrives in this era by time machine, and goes underground. Freeza’s restructuring surgery is completed.
Cell is said to come from the future a year before Trunks did, four years before the androids appear, which places it in this year.

Age 764
Sometime in August: Goku returns to Earth. Trunks defeats Freeza and his father, who had arrived on Earth.
The narration says that “about a year” passes between the Namekians leaving Earth and Trunks’ arrival (Viz ambiguously phrases this narration so that it could be interpreted as meaning that a year passed between Freeza’s defeat and Trunks’ arrival). Since the Namekians leave on September 10th of the previous year, this would make Trunks appear about 11 months later.

I don't think the note on Freeza's reconstruction being finished is based on anything. It would mean that Freeza took at least 8 months after his surgery was completed before getting to Earth.
Age 764~767: Coola invades Earth and battles Goku.
[A]
This makes DBZ move 5 the second and last movie to be included on the timeline. I’m not really sure why it was included. Perhaps because of the Barduck connection? At any rate, while there are some contradictions between the events of the movie and the main series timeline (Goku not having control of Super Saiyan and whatnot), this would be the timeframe that the movie would occur in, between Goku’s return to Earth and the appearance of the androids.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:10 pm

Chuquita wrote:

Oh ****! We. Need. New. Specials. Now!!

*Goes to plan fan fiction*
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf