The "Death" of Dragon Ball...!!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:50 pm

ultimateemail5000 wrote:If GT was still going now, or lasted longer then 64 episodes, that's when I would say this show is dead.
GT got canceled because of low ratings. But if it was good enough to be still going strong on TV after THIRTEEN YEARS, I'd hardly call that a bad thing.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:18 pm

I suppose it could die in other parts of the world someday, but not Japan.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:34 pm

Dragonball will live as long as Goku and company put smiles on the faces of readers and anime viewers alike.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:44 pm

It will die when the sun explodes and kills us all.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Bardock No Sensei

Post by Bardock No Sensei » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:04 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Personally, for me, there will never be a "death" for Dragon Ball. As long as I, and other fans, still remember it, it will long live on even after the death of Akira Toriyama. Of course I'll be sad if Toriyama dies, of course I'll be sad if the voice actors die and a little worried if they bring new ones in and they aren't so good. But for me, Dragon Ball is an everlasting series.
I agree my computer is full of music and pictures of DragonBall, is not like they'll al get erased. :)

Xell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xell » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:10 pm

This may sound a bit corny, but I'm going to take a quote from One Piece:

"When do you think people die? When they are shot through the heart by the bullet of a pistol? No. When they are ravaged by an incurable disease? No. When they drink a soup made from a poisonous mushroom!? No! It's when... they are forgotten."

Dragonball will never die. Not even if Toriyama dies.

It will only die if it's forgotten.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:59 pm

When Toriyama dies, or Masako Nozawa dies. Toriyama's talents will be lost forever along with any other Dragonball knowledge/information he's kept from us. Then the death of Nozawa would be the end of Goku, or our main protagonist. Who else can pull off Goku's voice and attitude? No one!
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:35 am

Forgotten Hero wrote:When Toriyama dies, or Masako Nozawa dies. Toriyama's talents will be lost forever along with any other Dragonball knowledge/information he's kept from us. Then the death of Nozawa would be the end of Goku, or our main protagonist. Who else can pull off Goku's voice and attitude? No one!
There's always a possibility they'll remake Dragon Ball in 20 years with a complete different cast.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:52 am

Forgotten Hero wrote: Who else can pull off Goku's voice and attitude? No one!
That's not true. People say the same about Heath Ledger and the Joker - but there have been Jokers before, and there will be Jokers in the future. And maybe they'll be even better. Actors are just actors, not the character.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:35 am

The Time Traveller wrote:
Forgotten Hero wrote:When Toriyama dies, or Masako Nozawa dies. Toriyama's talents will be lost forever along with any other Dragonball knowledge/information he's kept from us. Then the death of Nozawa would be the end of Goku, or our main protagonist. Who else can pull off Goku's voice and attitude? No one!
There's always a possibility they'll remake Dragon Ball in 20 years with a complete different cast.
Sure, but then the nostalgia is completely lost. I'd watch it, but I know I would never enjoy it the same way. It is the same situation as how people feel about the Funimation's dub. It's an all new cast, it came out years after GT ended, and yet most of us, Daizex peeps, hate it. Whatever the reasons are for hating the Funi dub, that's how I would probably feel about a remake of DBZ 20 years from now. So, frankly, to me DBZ will be dead when one of those two die, Toriyama and Nozawa.
JAPPO wrote:
Forgotten Hero wrote: Who else can pull off Goku's voice and attitude? No one!
That's not true. People say the same about Heath Ledger and the Joker - but there have been Jokers before, and there will be Jokers in the future. And maybe they'll be even better. Actors are just actors, not the character.
It is true. Joker is a bad comparison since he's never had a single distinguish and consistent actor of any kind. True there will be more Jokers in the future, but there has only been one Goku, Nozawa. She has been Goku since 1986. It is now 2009 and she is still Goku, so how could there be someone be Goku? People aren't happy with Sean Schemmel, or any other actor. She is irreplaceable.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:41 am

I hate that Goku's voice.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:16 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:I hate that Goku's voice.
Schemmel? or Nozawa?!!
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:29 pm

Forgotten Hero wrote:It is true. Joker is a bad comparison since he's never had a single distinguish and consistent actor of any kind.
Mark Hamill!

Sort of...
Jackal puFF wrote:
SHINOBI-03 wrote:I hate that Goku's voice.
Schemmel? or Nozawa?!!
Nozawa, I'd assume.

When will Dragon Ball die?

Dragon Ball will outlive the Sun. 8)
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:59 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:
Forgotten Hero wrote:It is true. Joker is a bad comparison since he's never had a single distinguish and consistent actor of any kind.
Mark Hamill!
Was about to write the same thing. Mark Hamill played the Joker on various animated series for over a decade and is certainly the best of them all.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:16 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:Dragon Ball will outlive the Sun. 8)
Lets hope so.

Hamill is a good call on me, but he hasn't always been the Joker. Even when Hamill isn't the Joker's voice others have done well in his place. I'm not sure anyone could be like Nozawa when she's Goku. The dub, in some right, have proven that no one can be Goku quiet like Nozawa.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:27 am

Well with DBZ Kai and resurgent interest in Japan, Dragonball has acquired renewed popularity. However in answering the original question of this thread, I will give the same answer I give to any "When is the franchise dead?" question.

The only true way a franchise could die would be if all the material the encompasses it, especially the source material (in this case the original manga) where removed from existence. Either forgotten entirely and all copies of the manga destroyed. Barring this tragic scenario however, franchises or series like Dragonball will, at the least, have a niche fan base. The only way it could die for me is if I just lost interest. That is, if I found nothing interesting about the series at all.

However, Dragonball is to me nostalgic alongside other popular culture and I continue to be entertained by the manga and the anime even in adulthood. So I cannot see it losing it's appeal for me in the foreseeable future. I love more than one thing about the series. It's characters, the whacky humor, the drama, etc. There is more to it then just another shonen series to me.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:22 am

Maphisto86 wrote:Well with DBZ Kai and resurgent interest in Japan, Dragonball has acquired renewed popularity. However in answering the original question of this thread, I will give the same answer I give to any "When is the franchise dead?" question.

The only true way a franchise could die would be if all the material the encompasses it, especially the source material (in this case the original manga) where removed from existence. Either forgotten entirely and all copies of the manga destroyed. Barring this tragic scenario however, franchises or series like Dragonball will, at the least, have a niche fan base. The only way it could die for me is if I just lost interest. That is, if I found nothing interesting about the series at all.

However, Dragonball is to me nostalgic alongside other popular culture and I continue to be entertained by the manga and the anime even in adulthood. So I cannot see it losing it's appeal for me in the foreseeable future. I love more than one thing about the series. It's characters, the whacky humor, the drama, etc. There is more to it then just another shonen series to me.
This is a better answer. If there is no interest, or like I've heard God of Chaos say on the podcast; if we can't get new fans then the interest dies and the fans go away. If the fans go away, then there are no money to be had, thus there would be no interest in continuing the franchise. Then Dragonball would truly be dead.