The "Death" of Dragon Ball...!!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

The "Death" of Dragon Ball...!!

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:54 am

Ok, I DON'T like to discuss this, but....

In your mind... What would be the thing that you consider the "Death" of Dragon Ball... like, "It's over for me", "The series won't be the same to me anymore" etc.

Is it when Toriyama dies?! He is the author and creater of the serise. What would happen if he died?!

Or, when all the original voice actors of the show like Masako Nozawa, Ryo Horikawa, Joji Yanami etc. dies? Sure, there were voice actors who died in the past and got replacments, but they were who voiced secondary and minor characters and they were easily replaced... But what about the main ones?!

Would you like it if Goku got a new voice other than the one we've kept hearing for many years ever since the very begening of the show?

I'll take both...

Dragon Ball without Toriyama? Sure we got the movies and GT... and we all know how the general view of them...

And Dragon Ball with 100% new casting?! That's not going to work for me... Unless the new ones worked for an anime that I knew and liked...

Important Notice: If by any chanse ((And let's hope NOT)) someone dies tomorrow after posting this, it's a mere coincidince and it got NOTHING to do with this topic.

DON'T FLAME ME OR BLAME ME IF SOMTHING BAD HAPPENS
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Wed May 20, 2009 3:14 am

New voice actors are irritating, But under the circumstances I suppose nothing can be helped. It must be near to impossible to find an exact replacement for somebody especially those who do main characters which are heard on almost every episode.
If you think back to the Harry Potter movies however; The old wizard headteacher did die a couple of years back and was replaced with a brilliant actor no problem. - So it does happen.

I don't really like to think of Dragonball as ever really dying, I think long after Akira Toriyama does... As Vegeta says about Guru... "Kick the bucket." I think his series will long live on.
You just have to look at how little air time Dragonball Z and Dragonball actually gets these days with the likes of *shudders* Naruto. (sorry) And yet new fans are cropping up everyday with old ones just refusing to budge.

I know if I ever have kids, I want to force them to sit in the room and watch every single episode of the Freeza saga back to back. I'll be like the demon mother Chichi with Gohan studying... But as for the series and manga dying. If it can survive that horrific frenchy AB dubbing it can survive anything.

LONG LIVE TORIYAMA!
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed May 20, 2009 3:32 am

The story of Dragonball is basically already existing from start to finish for me. With the exception of the new special, the manga is the story. Dragonball, Dragonball Z, and Dragonball Kai are adaptions of that story. There's no "death" to me. It's a complete work that I like from start to finish.

Therefore, Dragonball will never "die" in my eyes.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed May 20, 2009 3:40 am

I don't think a story can truly die, not unless it is forgotten completely.

When the rest of the seiyuu begin to pass on, and even the author himself; certainly it will be tragic, and I know I'll feel very sad, because all those people are a part of DB. It'll be like...removing links in a chain. The chain itself is still there, but it would be smaller, and depending on your feelings towards those who are gone, more distant. But the core story will still remain.

In the end I think it is what you make it. The series itself will be around long after those involved are gone. As long as you still remember DB, it won't die.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Wed May 20, 2009 4:14 am

As far as I'm concerned nothing will ever kill it for me. There are things that would be.. weird to have or hear, but I've seen so many versions already it won't shake me up that much. I'll always love the boys as much as I do now regardless of what has to change because damn good characters are the kinds of things that last.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:37 am

I don't think Dragon Ball will never die. Yes, all these aspects can be lost, but It's still Dragon Ball.

And I agree with saiyanprincess, I will force my children to watch DB whether they like it or not! :lol:

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed May 20, 2009 5:13 am

The series is always there, unless every piece of paper, film, DVD, Hard drive etc. containing the anime or manga was destroyed, it's dead. Maybe if all the fans who remembered it died out as well as the author and staff who worked on it. So, if the world was destroyed, Dragon Ball would be dead, I guess.

Unless we sent the film prints and the books to the moooooooon...

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Wed May 20, 2009 7:32 am

When Masako Nozawa passes, I really can't see how they're going to pass the torch to somebody else, I really don't know what they'll do.. I mean, the video game section seems safe, we've got TONNES of old soundclips there, but wow, I really dunno about any form of new footage. They manga would still be strong too.
But wow, just knowing that kind of thing may happen at any time is always on my mind. It's really upsetting.
Question is, will she survive through Kai? What if they decide to make a KAi for the original series?

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed May 20, 2009 9:28 am

Maybe if Toriyama decided to pick the series back up, but as a hentai or yaoi manga instead. It wouldn't really ruin everything else for me, but it would probably make the series a little bit more awkard.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed May 20, 2009 11:09 am

Personally, for me, there will never be a "death" for Dragon Ball. As long as I, and other fans, still remember it, it will long live on even after the death of Akira Toriyama. Of course I'll be sad if Toriyama dies, of course I'll be sad if the voice actors die and a little worried if they bring new ones in and they aren't so good. But for me, Dragon Ball is an everlasting series.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Wed May 20, 2009 11:38 am

Any story that is ever made, as long as it is told, can never die. It doesn't really matter what happens to it. Even if Masako Nozawa passes on, or Akira Toriyama dies, what they did will I've on, if through their efforts, or through us.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed May 20, 2009 1:26 pm

For me, DB will only be dead when the vast majority of the fanbase recognizes it more for a BAD re-imagining/other continuity over the original. In other words, if most people acknowledged something akin to DBE as being the "true" Dragonball story.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Wed May 20, 2009 1:36 pm

I don't really like to think of Dragonball as ever really dying, I think long after Akira Toriyama does... As Vegeta says about Guru... "Kick the bucket." I think his series will long live on.
There's no "death" to me. It's a complete work that I like from start to finish.

Therefore, Dragonball will never "die" in my eyes.
I don't think a story can truly die, not unless it is forgotten completely.
As far as I'm concerned nothing will ever kill it for me. There are things that would be.. weird to have or hear, but I've seen so many versions already it won't shake me up that much.
I don't think Dragon Ball will never die. Yes, all these aspects can be lost, but It's still Dragon Ball.
Personally, for me, there will never be a "death" for Dragon Ball. As long as I, and other fans, still remember it, it will long live on even after the death of Akira Toriyama.
Any story that is ever made, as long as it is told, can never die. It doesn't really matter what happens to it. Even if Masako Nozawa passes on, or Akira Toriyama dies, what they did will I've on, if through their efforts, or through us.
Reading all of your responces, reminded me of a very well-known quote:

"When does a man die? When he is hit by a bullet? No. When he suffers a disease? No. When he ate a soup made out of a poisonous mushroom? No! A man dies when he is forgotten!"

You're all right. As long that we all remember Dragon Ball, even if it was pushed aside by newer series' or labled as an old rusty show from the past... Dragon Ball will keep living in all of our spirits.
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

eienmic
Not-So-Newbie

Post by eienmic » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:33 am

I dunno, Dragon Ball Kai is kinda killin' it.
http://eienmic.deviantart.com/

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:35 am

Sure we got the movies and GT... and we all know how the general view of them...
I see nothing wrong with the movies in general. )One or two clunkers but in general are perfectly fine Dragonball stories.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:44 am

Dragonball will never die. dbe made it alive even if in a negative way still got dragonball more alive.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:46 am

Victator Supreme wrote:
Sure we got the movies and GT... and we all know how the general view of them...
I see nothing wrong with the movies in general. )One or two clunkers but in general are perfectly fine Dragonball stories.
My point is that Toei made the movies and GT with little of Toriyama's guidness.

Some movies were good, some of them were bad, and GT is considered lame.

Toriyama provided Toei with some guidlines and character designs, but the story is by Toei. And it might gives an idea or two of how Toei can handle Dragon Ball on their own without Toriyama in the future.
My Anime List
My Manga List

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:11 am

eienmic wrote:I dunno, Dragon Ball Kai is kinda killin' it.
With all those good ratings it's getting in Japan? Not likely.

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:33 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:
Victator Supreme wrote:
My point is that Toei made the movies and GT with little of Toriyama's guidness.

Some movies were good, some of them were bad, and GT is considered lame.

Toriyama provided Toei with some guidlines and character designs, but the story is by Toei. And it might gives an idea or two of how Toei can handle Dragon Ball on their own without Toriyama in the future.
I think Toriyama contributed more to tbe movies than he gets credit for. Certainly far more than GT.

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:42 pm

If GT was still going now, or lasted longer then 64 episodes, that's when I would say this show is dead.