Lurkers

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Lurkers

Post by SSJ2bardock » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:14 pm

So every now and then a member of the forum that I haven't seen before will make a post, but their join-date will be nowhere near recent, sometimes as early as 2004 or 2005. They'll say they're a "lurker". I just want to pick your brains and get some firsthand perspective on this.

Do you lurk because you simply enjoy seeing what the "common Dragonball fan" has to say? Do you come here just for the news and updates?

I'm actually pretty interested in what you have to say, so what's the deal guys?
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:38 pm

The main reason I joined the forums was for info on releases and new material coming out of Japan. I lurked for a while before joining. I just don't feel it's necessary for me to state my opinion on everything. (As such, I find this post quite ironic.)

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:50 pm

I know I'm nothing like a "lurker" here, but there are other forums that I'm registered on and only visit or post on once in a blue moon. The is my primary station on the interweb, and basically everywhere else I go, I only go to when I'm A) really bored here due to low activity or something B) looking for something interesting or C) going there to say something important.

I'm know your looking for people who aren't frequent visitors here, but I'm sure that for most of them the reasoning behind their ways is that this isn't their main place for discussion, so they only visit on a whim now and then.

Xell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xell » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:05 pm

I do enjoy seeing what fans have to say about Dragonball.

I only really post when I feel I have some proper 2 cents to add to it or if I just feel like posting.

This forum has a great part of the fandom posting on it, going out of their way to post screenshots from boxsets and generally keep people up to date with what's happening. Thanks everyone.

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:51 pm

Xell wrote:I only really post when I feel I have some proper 2 cents to add to it or if I just feel like posting.
It's pretty much the same thing with me. I would post if I had somthing to add to the discussion. But most of the time, somebody has already said what I would say and all I would be saying is, "Yeah! I agree with him!" or "Mondo cool guys!"
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:23 pm

I usually just lurk because I have nothing of great relevance to add to a conversation. (And that's not just here, but on every forum I frequent.)

I like hearing what others have to say because everyone here is usually well-informed.

I'll provide translation assistance or add a quip here or there, but that's the extent, from what it seems.

darkhawk5
Beyond Newbie

Post by darkhawk5 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:26 pm

The reason I don't post very often is that people usually have a similar opinion to mine post first.

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:36 pm

This is definitely one reason:
Drabaz wrote:But most of the time, somebody has already said what I would say and all I would be saying is, "Yeah! I agree with him!" or "Mondo cool guys!"
Which ironically is what I've done just now, but since I was specifically being called out and all (i.e. as a lurker), why not? :)

Addtionally, up until fairly recently, my internet access had been relatively limited in that I was only able to get online at Uni, my local library or if I happend to be at relative's/friend's house who had internet access, so for the most part I generally only had time to read through the various topics, rather than make any meaningful reply to them. Even having the internet at home now, it's through a dongle which I share with my sister, so I don't nessersarily have access to it all the time, even when I want to use it.

With all that said though, it's mainly because I just prefer to enjoy reading the discussions going on, and for the most part I just don't feel the need to post, and it allows me time to lurk in other forums of my other interests (I'm not a big poster in any forum) and visit other websites and blogs.

Mystic

Post by Mystic » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:41 pm

Xell wrote:I do enjoy seeing what fans have to say about Dragonball.

I only really post when I feel I have some proper 2 cents to add to it or if I just feel like posting.

This forum has a great part of the fandom posting on it, going out of their way to post screenshots from boxsets and generally keep people up to date with what's happening. Thanks everyone.
Drabaz wrote:
Xell wrote:I only really post when I feel I have some proper 2 cents to add to it or if I just feel like posting.
It's pretty much the same thing with me. I would post if I had somthing to add to the discussion. But most of the time, somebody has already said what I would say and all I would be saying is, "Yeah! I agree with him!" or "Mondo cool guys!"
darkhawk5 wrote:The reason I don't post very often is that people usually have a similar opinion to mine post first.
This pretty much sums up the way I feel. The same thing really doesn't need to be said 3 or 4 times. It doesn't add to the conversation.

I do enjoy this site, and I thank all you guys for the screenshots, various reviews, and overall enjoyment of the Dragonball Franchise.

- John

FuniYamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by FuniYamcha » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:59 pm

Ironic; I almost wasn't going to reply to this because of everyone having already explained the reasons for lurking.

Besides, I'm here to learn, since I know relatively little about the Dragon Universe compared to most people here.
Not a problem.

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:10 pm

"Mondo cool guys!"

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:14 pm

Well, glad I could gather all of our lurkers here, seems there's more than I expected.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:30 pm

I usually just post when I have an opinion that isn't too long to express. When posts get long, I tend just to say "forget it, I'm too lazy."

Eventually someone comes up with what I want to say, so it gets out there somehow.

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:43 pm

I hardly consider myself a lurker, but the main reason for why I don't always post is simply becuase I have nothing to contribute to a discussion.

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:49 pm

I haven't always been a lurker, but it's just about all I have time for now. Does that count?

eienmic
Not-So-Newbie

Post by eienmic » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:11 pm

Everything I wanted to say has been written above.

Still, yeah it's fun to see what everyone's thinking/saying on these forums but by the time I get around to it, what I want to say has been said.

But if something's just too damn true/funny, I post a blurb.

Wow, I didn't know I was labeled as a creepy sounding "lurker."
http://eienmic.deviantart.com/

trunkschan90
Beyond Newbie

Post by trunkschan90 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:38 pm

Usually I just want to see what others have to say about a topic or if they found something interesting.

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:47 pm

I'm kinda a board stalker. I read a lot of the stuff and occasionally post. I usually have stuff to say but choose not to. Here and Kanzentai are where I go for my Dragonball info.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:55 pm

I've become a lurk. I'm either too busy or too lazy to post most of the time.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:04 am

I lurk because I don't have anything nice to say.

Rather than bash everything and everyone, I keep my mouth shut instead and laugh it off in the privacy of my own home.