Scenes that the english dub does better.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:17 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Sanjiscool wrote:The Ginyu Force was so much better in both dubs.
Brice Armstrong was an awesome Ginyu. "That line really sucked a big one..."
And damn it if he wouldn't have made a great Lord North Kaiô.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:33 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
Sanjiscool wrote:The Ginyu Force was so much better in both dubs.
Brice Armstrong was an awesome Ginyu. "That line really sucked a big one..."
He would have been perfect! They also should have gotten him to redub over the narrator when they made the Season Sets. He was way better than Kyle Hebert.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:34 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote: Brice Armstrong was an awesome Ginyu. "That line really sucked a big one..."
He would have been perfect! They also should have gotten him to redub over the narrator when they made the Season Sets. He was way better than Kyle Hebert.
Truth be told, that's because Hebert has to play that role as the narrator. Armstrong was allowed a different character field...
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:07 pm

Also, I think it was cool how the dub gave Cell's forms different voices. It helped show how different they are from each other.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:42 pm

I always really liked Gohan's SSJ2 transformation better in the dub. The BGM was really dramatic, and I thought his scream/yell was just over the top. The original version is pretty solid but I like the dub's better.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:35 pm

Forgotten Hero wrote:I always really liked Gohan's SSJ2 transformation better in the dub. The BGM was really dramatic, and I thought his scream/yell was just over the top. The original version is pretty solid but I like the dub's better.
His one against Cell, prefer the Japanese, but the one at the 25th Budokai, I prefer the dub.

Sanjiscool
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sanjiscool » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:36 pm

I can't help but also prefer the dub of Movie 7. 13's redneck voice may have been over the top, but I thought 15's voice was much more fitting.

And I got nothing against Masako, but I could never enjoy her playing Gohan with an even higher pitched voice than Goku. Kyle Hebert was great as Gohan.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:40 pm

The death of Cell (Ginyu Transformation really, really fit that scene well).

The "Mr. Satan vs. Cell" movie at the 25th Budokai.
Trunks & Goten forever

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:40 pm

Forgotten Hero wrote:I always really liked Gohan's SSJ2 transformation better in the dub. The BGM was really dramatic, and I thought his scream/yell was just over the top. The original version is pretty solid but I like the dub's better.
So... a standard background piece is more dramatic than an emotional insert song?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Sanjiscool
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sanjiscool » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:41 pm

Thanos6 wrote:The "Mr. Satan vs. Cell" movie at the 25th Budokai.
Oh man, how could I possibly forget. Funi did great with that. Ocean wasn't as good though.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:50 pm

How about this scene? Kid Buu's scream is overly epic. The BGM fits that scene perfectly and I like how Sean handled Goku in that situation. I don't think there could be a better actor than the one who gave the voice to Kid Buu. I dont remember his name though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sQu-cZdjZI
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:00 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
So... a standard background piece is more dramatic than an emotional insert song?
I would think so.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Budokai23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Budokai23 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:28 am

One of the parts that I thought the dub did a lot better was Goku's sacrifice against Cell. Faulconer's music in that scene gives me goosebumps. And I did think that when Goku met Goten it was very heart warming in the dub.
Aka gtadbzman.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:10 am

To expand on the non-joke parts of my earlier post, Movie 5 as a whole was just a treat for me. Me being a Disturbed fan definately helps. I know the songs don't fit Dragon Ball as a whole, but the arrangement of the songs were arguably better than FUNi's use of Faulconer's music at anytime throughout Z. The Super Saiyan scene in the dub always chokes me up as well, even with the superhero schtick in full blast. Schemmel just shined here.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:33 pm

Kirbopher wrote:
Levlik wrote:Babidi's voice
^
This.

Also Kid Buu's death was more epic to me in the dub, but I saw that first so I probably don't have the same appreciation.
I have to disagree with Babidi. The dub kind of changed his character from a childish brat trapped in an old man's body to your typical evil mastermind. And his whiny old man voice in the Japanese version just served to further emphasize that. Dub Babidi doesn't come off as a childish old man like the original did because 1. He doesn't really sound like an old man and his voice doesn't have the whiny aspect his Japanese voice did. And 2. His lines in the dub are more wordy, which has the effect of making him seem more mature than he is in the Japanese version.

But as for what the dub did do better? Not much, but I do remember being impressed with Kid Buu's death scream when I first saw it.