Akira Toriyama's comments on Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Akira Toriyama's comments on Dragon Ball

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:18 am

I always like to have the creator's thoughts about his own universe, characters, how he felt about them, what he liked, what he regretted and all. I like audio comments, and other sorts of comments as well, on a work. Unfortunately, it may be only me, but I find it hard to have much interviews and revelations from Toriyama. The only things I got is his interview from Daizenshuu 1 and some interviews featured at the end of the tankobons sometimes.

So, since there's no part about it on the main website, I thought it would be cool if to have a thread where we could share all that we know about comments of Toriyama on his work, like the fact that he regretted Cell's design because he had to draw all of the numerous "points" on his body, or that he changed Soba's name because he simply forgot he had named him "Soba" first and that he chose one of the two as the final name ("Shu" I think). Well, any info/comment regarding Toriyama's opinion and why he did this and that and how he feels about it, whether you directly quote him or you just explain what he basically stated, like:

ABOUT CELL: [comments]

ABOUT HIS CHOICES OF COLORS: [comments]

ABOUT HIS FAVORITE CHARACTERS: [comments]

ABOUT SOBA / SHU: [comments]

ABOUT THE ANIME: [comments]

ABOUT THE LIVE-ACTION MOVIE: [comments]

etc...

There are guys reading Japanese around, and absolute experts in the Dragon Ball universe, so it may be an opportunity to have access to lots of informations that are unknown to most of us.
Last edited by Cold Skin on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:31 am

He hated the Cell arc.

I'm paraphrasing here, so perhaps it better to say he was dissapointed in it. His favorite character is Mister Satan, and he said that DBE should be taken by fans as an alternate universe.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:13 am

B wrote:He hated the Cell arc.

I'm paraphrasing here, so perhaps it better to say he was dissapointed in it.
Well, he said that it was a pain to write that part of the story because the more he wrote about time travel, the less it made sense. He's also complained about how at the time his current editor and past editor kept complaining about his character designs for the villians, forcing him to switch from 19+20 to 17+18 and then to Cell and his varous forms. All this from Daizenshuu 2.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

hui43210
Not-So-Newbie

Post by hui43210 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:42 am

And then the Cell arc ended. Did you think that everyone felt you would put Gohan into the leading role?
A: I intended to put Gohan into the leading role. It didn't work out. I felt that compared to Goku, he was ultimately not suited for the part.

BULLCRAP!!!!

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:52 am

hui43210 wrote:And then the Cell arc ended. Did you think that everyone felt you would put Gohan into the leading role?
A: I intended to put Gohan into the leading role. It didn't work out. I felt that compared to Goku, he was ultimately not suited for the part.

BULLCRAP!!!!
I think he was being help up at gun-point, while answering this question.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:21 am

Pain wrote:I think he was being help up at gun-point, while answering this question.
Why?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:51 pm

Herms wrote:
Pain wrote:I think he was being help up at gun-point, while answering this question.
Why?
It was a joke. But I've always felt uneasy about that answer, though. :?
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:53 pm

Quite frankly, I don't think Gohan has the balls to be earths savior.
At least, not during the Cell arc. He manned up for Boo, but definitely not when he was a kid/teen.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

hui43210
Not-So-Newbie

Post by hui43210 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:05 pm

Big Momma wrote:Quite frankly, I don't think Gohan has the balls to be earths savior.
At least, not during the Cell arc. He manned up for Boo, but definitely not when he was a kid/teen.

Well in the Cell arc he was the hero and was not in the Buu arc. That's why it is bullcrap.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:56 pm

hui43210 wrote:And then the Cell arc ended. Did you think that everyone felt you would put Gohan into the leading role?
BWA HA HA HA HA

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:12 pm

hui43210 wrote:
Big Momma wrote:Quite frankly, I don't think Gohan has the balls to be earths savior.

Well in the Cell arc he was the hero and was not in the Buu arc. That's why it is bullcrap.
His character went drastically downhill after the Cell Games, quite painful to watch personally.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:36 pm

Zuhalter2000 wrote:His character went drastically downhill after the Cell Games, quite painful to watch personally.
If by "drastically downhill," you mean "became tolerable," then you're right. Seriously during and after the Freeza saga all the way through Cell's defeat, I couldn't stand the kid. He was so whiny and dependent... I didn't care for him.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:33 am

Big Momma wrote:...He manned up for Boo, but definitely not when he was a kid/teen.
Did he really manned up or was he under the influence of an alien godlike person? Piccolo commented how his personality was dramatically changed. Was that really Son Gohan or was he under the control of the Old Kaiôshin?
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:53 am

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Big Momma wrote:...He manned up for Boo, but definitely not when he was a kid/teen.
Did he really manned up or was he under the influence of an alien godlike person? Piccolo commented how his personality was dramatically changed. Was that really Son Gohan or was he under the control of the Old Kaiôshin?
Were he it had been made clear.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:52 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Huh? :? Could you clarify your statement?
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:11 am

I believe he means to say, "Were he, it would've been made clear."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:20 am

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote: Did he really manned up or was he under the influence of an alien godlike person? Piccolo commented how his personality was dramatically changed. Was that really Son Gohan or was he under the control of the Old Kaiôshin?
Huh? :? Could you clarify your statement?
Were he under some mind control--where he wasn't doing what he was by his own will--it would have been made clear.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:44 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Kinda' pulled that out of your ass didn't you? He was just very confident due to the power-up, just as anyone else be (and just has he already had been previously in his Super Saiyan 2 form against Cell).

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:59 pm

Rory wrote:He was just very confident due to the power-up, just as anyone else be (and just has he already had been previously in his Super Saiyan 2 form against Cell).
I think his heart had been calmed by it, too. Kinda like the change in Goku after he drank the Super God Water. I suppose you could say that's the same thing as being confident though.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:09 pm

I don't know guys, lot of people are trying to manage things that they can't find in Dragon Ball and never will..... I like to discussing things about DB, but I'm little tired of all that physical, genetics, astronomic and all kinds of theories, so I will join another thread :?
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88