Is it true that Toriyama now hates DragonBall?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jakez04
Beyond Newbie

Is it true that Toriyama now hates DragonBall?

Post by Jakez04 » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:10 pm

I heard that Toriyama hates dragonball because no one really pays mind to his other cartoon work. Hasn't he made a lot more anime beside Dragonball to? I only know of Dr.Slug but I am sure he made much more to.
Da Name is Jakez -ROC Baby!
[url=http://www.geocities.com/dragonfistgt]DragonFistGT![/url]

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:31 pm

It's not that he hates DragonBall... I think that'd be pretty impossible. When interviewed about it, he said he had both positive and negative feelings about it... feelings that he just didn't want to work on it, anymore. I think that's easy to understand... he spent about a decade of his life working on that darn comic, far longer than he anticipated / wanted to.

Sure, nothing he's done SINCE DB has been huge... but that's also been a VERY conscious effort on his behalf. Most of the things he's written since then (such as Cowa! and Kajika) are single-volumes. He didn't want to write something hugely popular and get roped into working his ASS off for YEEEEARS to come... besides, that's was Eiichiro Oda is there for, now-a-days :D.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jakez04
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jakez04 » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:40 pm

Hey EX,
Umm what is Eiichiro Oda? Is it big in Japan and America?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:06 am

Eiichiro Oda is the author of One Piece, and is quite possibly the biggest Akira Toriyama fan on the face of the planet :P.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:12 am

No Eiichiro Oda is the manga creator of "One Piece". Oda is a big admirer of Toriyama and he created his manga as an homage to DB. It's hugely popular in Japan with an anime as well. There have already been 4 movies with another one coming out there in March! You can also read it's English translation in the American Shonen Jump now. I suggest you check the series out. It's very much like DB I find. It's got a strong, naive hero, really unique heart-warming characters, a really imaginative world, and long running fight arcs. I also find that Oda's artwork is as unique and recognizable as Toriyama's. You'll always know it's Oda's work. If you check out the "Other Artists" section on VegettoEX's site, you'll see a great illustration of Goku that Oda did. :)

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:45 am

Right now, my favourite non DB work by Toriyama is Sand Land. You can find a lot of DB elements in it though; the main character is a young looking demon boy with a chibi Trunks attitude, and enough power to rival a super saiyan.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:06 am

I love Beelzebub! He's so darn cute! Even though he'd hate to hear that I'm sure, and Thief is great fun! :D

Jakez04
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jakez04 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:07 am

O okay so that is what it is. JeseryMilk I take it your really into it uh?(No offenese). I was wonder is Shonen Jump worth buying?

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:21 am

BTW, since I brought up the subject of Sand Land, does anyone have a scan of Beezlebubs father Lucifer? I think I've just about every issue of Sand Land, except the very first one with Lucifers only appearance. I really wanted to see what he looked like.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:25 am

No offence taken. And yes I feel Shonen Jump is worth buying. You get a good amount of manga for your money. I really enjoy the titles in it even if they are more of the better known titles. There's so much great manga in Japan that never sees the light of day over here! Anyway, along with DBZ, there's One Piece, Yugi-Oh!, Shaman King, and my other two personal favourites, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, and Naruto. Oh, and Hikaru no Go just started too, although I'm not sure how well it will due since it's practically an instruction and tips manual on playing the game "go". Since that game is virtually unknown in North America, I don't know how interested people will be. I would love to see that though, if all of the sudden kids all over North America started playing go in the schoolyards and streets! :lol: We've pulled them further in again! Muwahahahahaaaaa! :twisted:

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:26 am

Oh I have that issue Dues. I could send it to you. Actually he looks quite a bit like Darbura. It's frightening. :shock:

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:28 am

Jerseymilk wrote:Oh I have that issue Dues. I could send it to you. Actually he looks quite a bit like Darbura. It's frightening. :shock:
Yes, please please please :shock:

I'm interested to see how Toriyama would draw the king of demons...

and it has nothing to do with writing a possible DBZ/Sand Land cross over fic...>.>

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:31 am

Sure I'll send it to you. And I think a crossover fic would be a neat idea! Hey it was done with Dr. Slump! :D

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:33 am

heheh, that was exactly my thoughts. and Sand Land happens 'in the distant future' of Earth if I remember correctly. It could be that they are really the same world. (Probably not though)

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:51 am

Uh, Dues, could you please give me your e-mail address again? I know you gave it to me once already, but I can't seem to find it. :oops:

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:22 am

Thanks for the address again Dues! I've just scanned and sent you the picture. :)

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:18 am

Is it true that Toriyama is currently working on a sequel to Kajika?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:21 am

Dayspring wrote:Is it true that Toriyama is currently working on a sequel to Kajika?
Not to my knowledge. That's not to say it's out of the realm of possibility, but I don't really see it happening, myself.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:51 am

I agree with EX that Toriyama is simply "very very happy to be done with it" nothing more and nothing less. In his newest interviews though, it is very interesting to see that he has forgotten most of the story which I personally find ABSOLUTELY HYSTERICAL since for years Cartoon Network fanboys have been arguing over what Toriyama would say, when in fact what he has to say in response to most fan comments these days is "I did that?"

And for the record, One Piece honors Dragon Ball by crushing the story in almost every aspect and going further than it ever went bringing the action/adventure manga to a new level.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:07 am

One Piece really is the most perfect "sequel" to DragonBall in every way. When you just take a quick look, it doesn't seem like a story about a group of pirates would be like DB in any way...

But when you look at the character interactions & development, ways of storytelling, focus on friendship and adventure... it really *is* DragonBall... with just so much more. Oda really is the second-coming of Toriyama ^^.

And yes, I find it hilarious that Toriyama couldn't remember who Kame-Sen'nin was. Poor old man.