FUNimation/Viz poking fun at the original

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:37 pm

The one thing I find annoying about Viz is the fact that they have to resort to rewrites or even "necessary" censorship in order to cater to their target demographics or bow to pressure by anime licensors. This pisses me off not only as a fan of the series, but as a fan of manga, period.

So Viz doing this for Dragon Ball and refusing to correct it because it would be too much of a hassle for them is only serving to divide the fanbase further.

I don't need any fancy nuances or "improvements", I just want my damn manga the way the Japanese fans are privileged to.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:45 pm

Thanos wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Oh, I'm sure VS knows I'm not coming down hard on him (in fact, it's less about him and more about the company). They're legitimate questions, especially for a younger guy like him who was really (comparatively speaking) only recently exposed to the show (through FUNimation's version), and while he knows the Japanese version is out there... hey, he knows what he likes, and that's totally cool. I'm just wondering what the reasoning is for that (if there is any), since I'm pretty sure my assessment of FUNimation was fairly accurate for the company they were at the time.
You're right. I guess I read that wrong, as if you were telling him what you thought about him. :P

And that's totally true. It just frustrates me that FUNimation (yeah yeah, the Dragon Boxes are coming out... too little too late) gives such shitty treatment to Dragon Ball. The kind of shoddiness not seen in any other anime (as far as I'm aware of). Their handling of GT was unforgivable. They totally broke all the unwritten rules and conduct for how you handle foreign material (for one, not making it your own and changing storylines and episode format), and to me their sudden "appeal to the median" is yet another marketing scheme. They've already raped dry all the money that can be made by all the younger, gullible audience, so what other property would make the most money? The diehard fans. They'll spend loads of money for this, even moreso than the corporate sheep. So, for this... I am not impressed, FUNimation. Maybe if you had started off (or at least at an earlier time, like, years ago) with this fan-appealing material, I would respect your latest decisions, but honestly, it's the last ditch effort to make some more cash off the Dragon Ball franchise, so humph to you, FUNimation.
I am sorry but I have to add my two cents. I like the original Funimation theme song for GT and any other changes they made to the score for any of the Dragonball series. I am not Japanese so I cannot relate to much of their music from that time period. I will admit that I can get into the stuff found in contemporary anime (except One Piece because it sucks in general) because the music has a contemporary feel to it. I am a fan of Alternative Rock, Rap and Techno (amongst other genres) so why do I or anyone else have to be reduced to slobbering idiots because we like the fact that Funimation did something different with the franchise?
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:30 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:(except One Piece because it sucks in general)
I try to avoid needless violence on this forum. My comments are usually posted to help people, or to give my own genuine opinion!
Today, I make an exception.
Fuck you.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:49 pm

Rory wrote:
I try to avoid needless violence on this forum. My comments are usually posted to help people, or to give my own genuine opinion!
Fuck you.
Fight needless bashing with needless bashing! Just like pappy did in 'Nam.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:51 pm

B wrote:
Rory wrote:
Fuck you.
He needlessly brought it up! Don't shit on One Piece without reason, or anything for that matter!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:54 pm

Rory wrote:
B wrote:
Rory wrote: I try to avoid needless violence on this forum. My comments are usually posted to help people, or to give my own genuine opinion!
Fuck you.
He needlessly brought it up! Don't shit on One Piece without reason, or anything for that matter!
Yes, I know he needlessly brought it up. Hence the sentence, "fight needless bashing with needless bashing." If he hadn't had done it first, it wouldn't have made sense for me to say that. The fact he took the time to do that, when no one was even talking about One Piece, should have lit up A huge, neon sign in your head that reads, "DON'T TOUCH THIS WITH A 20-FOOT POLE."
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:03 pm

B wrote:
Yes, I know he needlessly brought it up. Hence the sentence, "fight needless bashing with needless bashing." If he hadn't had done it first, it wouldn't have made sense for me to say that. The fact he took the time to do that, when no one was even talking about One Piece, should have lit up A huge, neon sign in your head that reads, "DON'T TOUCH THIS WITH A 20-FOOT POLE."
In other words flames usally die when you don't fuel them. I understand your frustration I use to be on a lot of gamer sites(all they do is flame). If you ignore them...they usally go away. So don't waste your breath.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

hui43210
Not-So-Newbie

Post by hui43210 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:42 pm

Dan Dan is pure gack! Grand tour is... well silly but the background music in the show is 1000x better than the constent dan dan in the jap (and canada) version. The best music is the normal jap dbz and Falconer dbz music.

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:44 pm

hui43210 wrote:Dan Dan is pure gack! Grand tour is... well silly but the background music in the show is 1000x better than the constent dan dan in the jap (and canada) version. The best music is the normal jap dbz and Falconer dbz music.
Please don't call it "jap". "Japanese" is not that hard to type out.
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:57 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:I am sorry but I have to add my two cents. I like the original Funimation theme song for GT and any other changes they made to the score for any of the Dragonball series. I am not Japanese so I cannot relate to much of their music from that time period.
Yeah... I'm never quite sure what you mean when you talk about the music not being contemporary. Why should a song that was pleasant to listen to 13-20 years ago be any different today? I know there's such a thing as music trends, but I don't see why a song's age should be that important on an individual level, especially when the songs in question aren't that old. And in regards to the culture part... I could see Americans being unable to appreciate music produced via bongo drums and flutes in some dirt poor country in the middle of nowhere, but Dragon Ball's score? What exactly separates 1980s and 1990s Japanese music from American? I'm pretty sure they use the same instruments, at the least, and many of the same techniques, so I'm not sure of any fundamental differences that divide the two. There's also that old adage about music being the universal language (Or maybe that's just something Buster said in How I Spent My Summer Vacation, I dunno), which I think has a lot of truth. So, what makes you think that your dislike of Dragon Ball's score is influenced by the culture and generation you belong to, rather than you as an individual simply not caring much for the songs?

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:27 pm

While I do love DAN DAN, I can stand the "Grand Tour" rap. It doesn't really suit the feel of the series, but it's toleratable.

If only the dub would have used more than one piece of BGM, though. It literally felt like the same tune throughout the ENTIRE series.(Except the final piece in the last episode...I actually liked that.)
VegettoEX wrote: With GT, FUNimation actively kept telling the fans what this was they wanted, how they wanted it, and gosh darn it, there is nothing else you should expect. You shouldn't want accuracy. You shouldn't want faithfulness. You want lowest-common-denominator pandering, because that's exactly what you are - lowest-common-denominator. You have no mind of your own, and you will gobble up anything the company throws at you. You have no spine to stand up to us, and we are going to hold things back from you because there's not a chance you will speak up.
While I see where you're coming from, I'm sure they were only trying to reach the demographic. Around that time when the GT dub came out, EVERYONE(At least where I lived) was heavily into rap. Heck, even I was into rap back then(I called those my "gangsta" years. I sagged and tossed around "nigga" like it was nobody's business.) And I'm sure none of my friends would have gone for the (as they would have called it) "pussified" whimsical theme of Dan Dan.

I'm glad they changed it for the box sets, but I'm sure that if it would have gotten the original theme/BGM back then, it wouldn't have sold as well. (At least not to all the kids that I hung around with)
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:17 am

The "Grand Tour" rap is horrible... and I don't even hate rap.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:19 am

Kendamu wrote:The "Grand Tour" rap is horrible... and I don't even hate rap.
Agreed. Not only is it COMPLETELY unfitting to anything DragonBall, but it's horrible musically, too.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:57 am

Rory wrote:
Fuck you.
:shock: Wow, because I bad mouthed an anime you would like to do that to me…hmm, I see...

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Agreed. Not only is it COMPLETELY unfitting to anything DragonBall, but it's horrible musically, too.
That is your opinion.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:10 am

Lyrically, Step into the Grand Tour is basic. It kinda goes back to the "lowest common denominator" thing VegettoEX was typing about. I really don't understand why fans of altered DBZ will defend something that was bascially an insult to them.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:00 am

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:
That is your opinion.
Thanks for pointing that out, I'm sure Kaboom wouldn't have known that was his opinion had you not pointed that out. God, what would we do with out you Saiyan Professor?

By the way, you're always talking about how you can't relate to stuff in the Japanese version, and how you're glad FUNimation made the changes they did. Your avatar isn't very hip though huh? People can't relate to that at all, so I went ahead and fixed that for ya. No need to thank me, I'm just a nice guy. 8)

Last edited by Taku128 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
­

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:04 am

That is your opinion.

.....My goodness, this is Dragon Ball series we are talking about here. Since when do the rapping has blending so well with GT? Sure, GT is not a good sequel, but it shouldn't make it worse by giving a rap song. This is why we have gottena proper intro. The rap song was good enough as its own for Cd single dedicated to DBGT, but for an official GT intro just made it worse.

This is the Daizenshuu EX forum, where there are large number of Japanese fans and intellent dubbies, not some random forum. That is why you got thrown a lot of flames from others.
Taku128 wrote:[Hilarious image sniped]
You know, I don't think I have ever laughed over an image before. My hat's off to you. :D
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:12 am, edited 10 times in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:24 am

*sigh* This thread will be locked sooner or later
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:10 am

Taku128 wrote: Image
Thank you! :lol: How did you make this by the way?

Also isn't this the guy in his avatar?
Y'know, the guy who healed Vegeta and tried to give him his scouter before he left for Namek? Or was that the sneaky reptile guy?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:39 am

Rory, maybe Saiyan Professor was referring to the 4Kids dub of One Piece...which sucks in general.