FUNimation/Viz poking fun at the original

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rory
I Live Here

FUNimation/Viz poking fun at the original

Post by Rory » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:57 am

So I was reading voluime 33 of Dragonball today (17 of Z technically, as it was Viz's translated novel), and I was suprised to see a little passage which referenced the original (Yes, I made Herculé sound like a Pokémon because I want to get past that annoying filter):
"The great combatant Herculé-- formerly known as the wrestler "Mr.Satan" has announced he will enter the Cell Game!"
Now, I used to simply think the H word was a way to not annoy soccer moms or something, but here's the S word, in all it's glory in Viz print.
I came to the conclusion that they were poking fun at the original name, since FUNimation has already used this term so long, they considered the original name a thing of the past.

My question! Has anybody here come across moments where either of these American distributors have poked fun, or outright made fun of the original?

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:10 am

New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:13 am

Am I the only person who likes "Step Into The Grand Tour", if only for its absolute lolariousness?
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:14 am

Saiyavenger2941 wrote:Am I the only person who likes "Step Into The Grand Tour", if only for its absolute lolariousness?
Yes. Yes, you are.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: FUNimation/Viz poking fun at the original

Post by Herms » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:36 am

Rory wrote:Now, I used to simply think the H word was a way to not annoy soccer moms or something, but here's the S word, in all it's glory in Viz print.
I came to the conclusion that they were poking fun at the original name, since FUNimation has already used this term so long, they considered the original name a thing of the past.
I don't get the logic here. Yeah, Viz acknowledges his original name a few times (his "who's who" bio at the start of each Viz volume mentions it, for instance), but that doesn't contradict the fact that they went with "Hercule" because of the trouble using "Mr. Satan" would cause. Referencing "Mr. Satan" in passing once or twice isn't the same as having it appear all the time, or having crowds of adoring fans shout "Satan!" over and over again, or Goku saying "Well done Satan, you might just be the Earth's true savior!".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:02 pm

Herms wrote: or Goku saying "Well done Satan, you might just be the Earth's true savior!".
You know, now that I remember that line...I can see why VIZ used Hercule...

...I wouldn't be suprised if there WAS some kind of big soccer-mom outburst after that line.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:17 pm

Hercule sort of makes sense since it's an English/American thing.

I love the "Grand Tour" song; it wasn't the original Japanese song, but I liked it none the less.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:31 pm

Rory wrote:I came to the conclusion that they were poking fun at the original name, since FUNimation has already used this term so long, they considered the original name a thing of the past.
Eh? FUNimation calls him Mr. Satan. They only say Hercule a couple of times. In the broadcast edit he's called Hercule, but in all the DVDs everybody refers to him by his original name.

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:39 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:
Saiyavenger2941 wrote:Am I the only person who likes "Step Into The Grand Tour", if only for its absolute lolariousness?
Yes. Yes, you are.
Wrong. I LOVE Step Into The Grand Tour, regardless of how others feel about it.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:46 pm

VenomSymbiote wrote:Wrong. I LOVE Step Into The Grand Tour, regardless of how others feel about it.
I think you know me well enough by now to know that when I ask these kinds of questions, I'm being serious and honest. Nothing derogatory is being said about you. So here's my question:

Why do you like being told that you're a moron?

Quite frankly, that's what "Step Into The Grand Tour" was, and it's nothing more than that. It was created at a point in FUNimation's existence when plenty of other properties were already being treated with respect... and so were their audiences. Not so with DB (surprise, surprise).

With GT, FUNimation actively kept telling the fans what this was they wanted, how they wanted it, and gosh darn it, there is nothing else you should expect. You shouldn't want accuracy. You shouldn't want faithfulness. You want lowest-common-denominator pandering, because that's exactly what you are - lowest-common-denominator. You have no mind of your own, and you will gobble up anything the company throws at you. You have no spine to stand up to us, and we are going to hold things back from you because there's not a chance you will speak up.

Thankfully, they were proven wrong (see: current DBGT season sets).

So what it is? Just that you're so much younger compared to everyone else, and it's recent memories of your childhood (which you're still in, honestly)...? I don't know that you have the capacity to analyze that in the same way others here twice your age are able to do (again, nothing against you... you're just young, is all).

So... yeah? I don't know...? :D
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:42 pm

I think it's catchy and I like it more than Dan Dan. I know I'm alone on that train. Well, not really, but I'd rather not be on the same train with your typical ill-informed YouTube commenting Dragon Ball fan, since they're the only other ones who like it.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:46 pm

VenomSymbiote wrote:
The Tori-bot wrote:
Yes. Yes, you are.
Wrong. I LOVE Step Into The Grand Tour, regardless of how others feel about it.
It was okay, but not as a Dragonball opening song. Looking back it was just Funimation saying "We know what's HIP!!! We'll throw rap in GT and the kids will eat it up. For good measure, Menza will do the score!". Quite insulting when you think about it.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:49 pm

I've always secretly found it catchy, but it doesn't fit the series at all. Dan Dan is a much more appropriate intro, and a much better song.
­

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:53 pm

Be honest, what would you prefer more: "Step Into the Grand Tour" or "Set Sail for One Piece"? :D

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:56 pm

Narrator (manga): Is this the end of Goku...then how do you explain Dragonball Z!?

Super Buu (Funi): Super Buu...Super Vegetto..we have such great titles don't we? We may as well just call ourselves invincible!

Puar (manga): Kamehameha? Isn't that the name of a Hawaiian king?
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:57 pm

Choujin Daizenshuu wrote:Be honest, what would you prefer more: "Step Into the Grand Tour" or "Set Sail for One Piece"? :D
Actually, both are catchy as fuck, just not fitting of their respective series in the slightest.

Though I would probably pick Grand Tour...

And to get on topic, Oolong talking about tuckered out lil' Goku: What is he, an alien or something?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:07 pm

If Viz is gonna reprint Z again in the future and they still decide to not use Mr. Satan, they can just go with his real first name:

...Mark.

*guffaw*

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:13 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
VenomSymbiote wrote:Wrong. I LOVE Step Into The Grand Tour, regardless of how others feel about it.
I think you know me well enough by now to know that when I ask these kinds of questions, I'm being serious and honest. Nothing derogatory is being said about you. So here's my question:

Quite frankly, that's what "Step Into The Grand Tour" was, and it's nothing more than that. It was created at a point in FUNimation's existence when plenty of other properties were already being treated with respect... and so were their audiences. Not so with DB (surprise, surprise).

With GT, FUNimation actively kept telling the fans what this was they wanted, how they wanted it, and gosh darn it, there is nothing else you should expect. You shouldn't want accuracy. You shouldn't want faithfulness. You want lowest-common-denominator pandering, because that's exactly what you are - lowest-common-denominator. You have no mind of your own, and you will gobble up anything the company throws at you. You have no spine to stand up to us, and we are going to hold things back from you because there's not a chance you will speak up.

So what it is? Just that you're so much younger compared to everyone else, and it's recent memories of your childhood (which you're still in, honestly)...? I don't know that you have the capacity to analyze that in the same way others here twice your age are able to do (again, nothing against you... you're just young, is all).

W-while maybe a little harsh, Mike, I guess I agree. The posts by this user, I've noticed, have definitely fallen into the category of someone with unpopular views and the kind of person FUNimation's wet dreams are made of.

Also, here's something that I thought was a funny little nod to the original (listen to what Boo says):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMCCLQvcQjg#t=0m13s
B wrote:I think it's catchy and I like it more than Dan Dan.
I'm all for personal opinions, but... this is just offensive. :(

I can hear the corporate fakeness and marketing dishonesty bleeding through when I hear the "Step into the Grand Tour" bullshit. Plus it's like... a droning combination of rap/metal. Ick.

Dan Dan is endearing and innocent as hell. It's poppy, which is fantastic, and what should be in Dragon Ball. Fuck FUNimation's metal/rock/rap impositions.
Last edited by Thanos on Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:14 pm

VegettoEX wrote:

Fucking sigged.

You, sir, are a legend.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:18 pm

Thanos wrote:W-while maybe a little harsh, Mike, I guess I agree. The posts by this user, I've noticed, have definitely fallen into the category of someone with unpopular views and the kind of person FUNimation's wet dreams are made of.
Oh, I'm sure VS knows I'm not coming down hard on him (in fact, it's less about him and more about the company). They're legitimate questions, especially for a younger guy like him who was really (comparatively speaking) only recently exposed to the show (through FUNimation's version), and while he knows the Japanese version is out there... hey, he knows what he likes, and that's totally cool. I'm just wondering what the reasoning is for that (if there is any), since I'm pretty sure my assessment of FUNimation was fairly accurate for the company they were at the time.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::