DragonBall VizBig Manga Dissection/Review

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:57 pm

dragonfist wrote:Let's not deviate the topic to anything religious since we don't know who might be offended by comments. As for me I'll just say: The Jew did it! :wink:

This is the internet, my friend.

@Kendamu: I do understand what you were saying, and I do agree. Those beliefs have a huge impact on the media today, despite how we don't see those beliefs enforced/acted upon in most of society.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:01 pm

Big Momma wrote:
dragonfist wrote:Let's not deviate the topic to anything religious since we don't know who might be offended by comments. As for me I'll just say: The Jew did it! :wink:

So are you implying that just because this is the internet is ok to be careless in how a comment structured? By the way just to clear any misunderstandings I was not attacking Kendamu but merely pointing out the fact that people take religion seriously and one should be careful in how we handle said type of comments. That's all.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:09 pm

Big Momma wrote:@Kendamu: I do understand what you were saying, and I do agree. Those beliefs have a huge impact on the media today, despite how we don't see those beliefs enforced/acted upon in most of society.
Those lingering old fashion beliefs leads to unnecessary censorship like this. Viz basically has to do this to prevent some angry mother from calling in and complaining about how there are a few panels with breasts in them. Not that she's ever actually put more than an ounce of brain power into thinking about it. Rather, because those are the "values" that she's been taught her entire life without question.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:46 pm

Rory wrote:I bought volume 1, and was not impressed.
1)They're too bulky, it's an uncomfortable read.
2)Still some greyscale images? Fuck off.
3)MORE censoring? You've got to be kidding
4)Doesn't look impressive when lined up, unlike the Tankobon.

The Tankobon is just better in my opinion, and I have all of them. So I may as well stick with those.
In my opinion the Vizbigs are a superior release and I don`t agree with the bulky notion. They are very easy to hold and read. Or maybe its just me who is used to holding big books. If you are used to "small" books then I understand why it troubles you. Me, it doesn`t trouble me at all. I find their size brilliant. The size of the art is awesome.

However, I do agree they are probably not worth buying if you already have the whole collection in previous editions.

For those of you who don`t have the collection yet, I recommend the Vizbigs, unless, of course, if one or more of the disadvantages I listed are enough for you to want to get another edition.

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:50 pm

Gotta say rereboy thanks for this review of the VIZBIG release. Bummer I already have the tankoubon format. Can I ask what do you mean by author notes in the content?

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:57 pm

dragonfist wrote:
Big Momma wrote:

So are you implying that just because this is the internet is ok to be careless in how a comment structured? By the way just to clear any misunderstandings I was not attacking Kendamu but merely pointing out the fact that people take religion seriously and one should be careful in how we handle said type of comments. That's all.
No...I was saying that, if religion ties into the topic at hand, there's no reason why we shouldn't be allowed to talk about it. I know you weren't attacking Kendamu, and I wasn't attacking you. Also, I'm one of those said people who take religion seriously.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:00 pm

Can we get off the subject of religion, please? Not only does it have very little to do with Dragon Ball in this particular topic, but it's bound to get heated and out of control.

If you'd like to continue the discussion, you're free to take it to PM, but I'd like it if this topic could stick to its initial focus--the dissection and subsequent discussion of the VizBig Dragon Ball manga releases.

Thanks. :)

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:26 pm

dragonfist wrote:Gotta say rereboy thanks for this review of the VIZBIG release. Bummer I already have the tankoubon format. Can I ask what do you mean by author notes in the content?
You`re welcome.

The author notes are little comments that the author does about his life when he was drawing the manga. They are very short (only a few lines) and often about things as trivial as his cat and things like that.

There is one comment like that for each volume. Meaning Vizbig 1 to 4 have 3 comments like that and Vizbig 5 has 4.

I don`t think they are anything new, though.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:32 pm

rereboy wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
dragonfist wrote:It could be much, much worse. Just ask FUNimation 8)
You mean the company who has provided us with completely uncut releases including the Japanese version with some of the best subs out there, not to mention the Dragon Box masters straight from Japan? :lol:
They are finally doing things right. Because up until recently... :lol:
Unless people outright stop buying their manga, Viz will never change.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:09 am

They're pretty good releases, but the censoring really turns me off.

I think it's obvious at this point that the Kanzenban will be released once the Z Bigs are all released. I could see it now...

"COMPLETELY UNCUT AND UNCENSORED! READ IT THE WAY IT WAS MEANT TO BE READ! DRAGON BALL AND DRAGON BALL Z PERFECT EDITIONS!"

A cookie if you can catch the joke.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:11 am

fps_anth wrote:They're pretty good releases, but the censoring really turns me off.

I think it's obvious at this point that the Kanzenban will be released once the Z Bigs are all released. I could see it now...

"COMPLETELY UNCUT AND UNCENSORED! READ IT THE WAY IT WAS MEANT TO BE READ! DRAGON BALL AND DRAGON BALL Z PERFECT EDITIONS!"

A cookie if you can catch the joke.
*takes cookie.* :P

Since I own 2, I can say I kinda like em!

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:08 am

Raki wrote:
rereboy wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote: You mean the company who has provided us with completely uncut releases including the Japanese version with some of the best subs out there, not to mention the Dragon Box masters straight from Japan? :lol:
They are finally doing things right. Because up until recently... :lol:
Unless people outright stop buying their manga, Viz will never change.
Well, even if Viz releases a perfect edition (with everything done properly) after the Vizbigs are done, the Vizbigs will still have one advantage over that perfect edition. The price.

If that perfect edition costs more or the same than the regular volumes individually, then there will be quite a difference in price between the perfect edition and the Vizbigs.

Then there will be the matter of people deciding if they want to pay that extra for what that release has that the Vizbigs don`t have or if they don`t want to pay that extra.

Since the Vizbigs already have a special size and high quality paper, the only thing obvious that will be different will be the censoring and all the color pages.
The Vizbigs have most of the color pages (at least in the first portion of the manga) and there is little censoring.
So everyone will have to decide if thats worth the difference. If the Vizbigs didn`t have a special size or high quality paper or none of the color pages, then that decision would probably be more simple. Since they have, the decision will make people think more (I`m talking about all the fans, not just hardcore ones).

Thats also why I give high remarks to this release. Even if a perfect edition is released, the Vizbigs will still have a place in the market because they will still have advantages.
Last edited by rereboy on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:16 am

dragonfist wrote:
Big Momma wrote:

I get'cha. And, as you can see, I'm not trying to be offensive. I just figured that if people are going to question long-time censorship standards that all they have to do is look at history to learn why we censor what we censor. It's not a perfect way to look at it but it'll give you some answers.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:54 pm

Kendamu wrote:
dragonfist wrote:
Big Momma wrote:
I get'cha. And, as you can see, I'm not trying to be offensive. I just figured that if people are going to question long-time censorship standards that all they have to do is look at history to learn why we censor what we censor. It's not a perfect way to look at it but it'll give you some answers.
Sorry for any confusion stemming from me pointing out what I thought was a very ambivalent comment specifically pointing out a single religion concerning censorship in any given country. I have learned the hard way to keep myself from singling out a particular religion (nasty experience), of course not on this board mine you :wink:

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:58 am

rereboy wrote:It was never released 100% uncensored. Mr. Popo`s lips and the nipples of Oolong`s imagining thought bubble never saw the light of day as far as I know.
Interesting. So they had no problem with Bulma's nipples, but they removed a random, face-less imagination's nipples?

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:33 am

G1Ravage wrote:
rereboy wrote:It was never released 100% uncensored. Mr. Popo`s lips and the nipples of Oolong`s imagining thought bubble never saw the light of day as far as I know.
Interesting. So they had no problem with Bulma's nipples, but they removed a random, face-less imagination's nipples?
I'd prefer this to the other way around though :wink:

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:24 pm

G1Ravage wrote:
Apparently yes.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:39 pm

Speaking of nipples, there's something that's amused me for a while now.

Look closely. Those aren't just bugged-out eyes on Yamcha. Seems Viz's nipple-filtering isn't as thorough as they thought it'd be. Either that, or they didn't think people would catch it.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:50 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Speaking of nipples, there's something that's amused me for a while now.

Look closely. Those aren't just bugged-out eyes on Yamcha. Seems Viz's nipple-filtering isn't as thorough as they thought it'd be. Either that, or they didn't think people would catch it.
Actually I read someone say on this board that he had two versions of the manga and that in one of them the nipples in Yamcha`s eyes were less noticeable like Viz had reduced them or something.

In the Vizbig the nipples are well noticeable.

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:41 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Speaking of nipples, there's something that's amused me for a while now.

That made it onto the Cartoon Network airing, as well.