Anyone skipping FUNi's DB, GT, and/or movies Dragon Boxes?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

vershiris
Not-So-Newbie

Anyone skipping FUNi's DB, GT, and/or movies Dragon Boxes?

Post by vershiris » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:42 am

When the news first broke out (from) Otakon (that FUNimation) had announced Dragon Boxes, my first thoughts were that I was going to sell all my DBZ season sets, buy the Z Dragon boxes and wait for DragonBall, GT, and the Movies to be announced. I'm now considering changing my mind.

I've never owned DB or GT on DVD, and I only own crappy FUNimation singles of movies 8 and 10. FUNimation's Z DBOXes are likely to finish (in) late 2011, and that's probably when we're going to be told whether (or not) there'll be any more. I could be waiting till 2011 just to be told there will be no DB, GT or Movie DBOXes.

Now, I know that the "Remastered" box sets are awful; they're cropped, blotchy, have missing lines, characters' skin colour can look like they've walked out of a Simpsons episode at times... I'm sure you're aware of this. This means that getting Z DBOXes is a treat (considering I have no idea how to use Japan auction sites and I don't even want to calculate how much the singles would cost total). Now as for the new DragonBall sets, they're in the right aspect ratio, colour isn't that bad (you could easily change your TV colour settings to make them right), and the cover art is looking good. GT "Remastered" sets are in the correct aspect ratio, and the quality is near the DBOXes according to some people. To be honest though, I don't mind waiting for GT DBOXes at all :lol:. The Double Features look as if they have very good quality; the remastering proccess was a lot better than the DBZ season sets and steelbook cases are awesome (and by the looks of things they won't be around for long).

So with the DB, GT and Movie "Remastered" DVDs being good enough, why wait till 2011? I still haven't made my mind up yet, but it sure is tempting to nab the new DB sets and steelbooks now.

So, what are you thoughts on this? What do you think I should do? And are you going to hold out till 2011 or later for more FUNimation DBOX releases?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:46 am

You should wait a few years for DBOXes to be announced. If they never come, the blue bricks, green bricks, and double features aren't going anywhere.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Char Aznable
Regular

Re: Anyone skipping the DB,GT,Movies DBOX?

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:57 am

vershiris wrote:I could be waiting till 2011 just to be told there will be no DB,GT or Movie DBOX'es.
FUNimation's press release for the Dragon Boxes stated that they have all of Z and the movies, so barring some unforeseen circumstance a movie Dragon Box or Boxes will be a reality.

Back when the Season One set came out and I learned of all the flaws it contained, I decided not to financially support the season set release. That still holds true up until now, I haven't purchased a single season set. Now, they've gotten better since then, and when the first season set for Dragon Ball was announced I was planning on getting it. That changed when the Dragon Box announcement came about.

The Dragon Ball season sets are very, very tempting to me, but if I was able to hold out for two years to see a proper release of Z, I'm willing to wait one more to see if the other two sets get the same sort of treatment.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Anyone skipping the DB,GT,Movies DBOX?

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:58 am

vershiris wrote:So, what are you thoughts on this?
I think you should actually read through your posts before hitting "Submit".
vershiris wrote:What do you think I should do? And are you going to hold out till 2011 or later for more FUNimation DBOX releases?
Based on everything you've said and described, I don't know how much other peoples' situations and decisions really affect you. It always comes down to personal choice. How much money do you have to blow? How badly do you want something? Does my telling you that I'm getting something change your opinion before it's even out?

Also, this seems like it could have been incorporated into one of at least half a dozen other threads on the same subject, so unless this turns into a new conversation within a few posts, I'm probably just going to lock it for its redundancy.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:00 pm

One thing a DBox: The Movies release would have over the double features would be much better quality on the japanese audio tracks. It's just plain awful on the double features, while it was actually stereo on the Dragon Box.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:02 pm

I will be doing. I see no need for them to miss an opportunity to make money froM Dragon Boxes, so once they've finished with the "Z" boxes, I believe they'll bring us GT, then Dragonball. Because Dragonball comes last.. for some reason. :roll:

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:30 pm

For the series, I really feel like hunting down the DBZ Saga box sets I'm missing (The original ones from 2001-2004) instead of watching the Season sets. I only need Great Saiyaman, World Tournament, Babidi, Majin Buu and Fusion sagas. If I could find the Freeza singles, that would be great, so I would only have to watch the first 2 Remastered sets in my run-through of the Japanese version. It would be the first time I'd ever see the entire series in Japanese, so I'm really excited about that! 8) I know I'll be getting the original Dragonball and GT season sets, because I know that GT is fullscreen, and we pretty much have figured out that Dragonball is, as well.

For the Movies, I only have 4 more of the single releases to get, so I'm not even going to bother with the "Steelbook" sets or the new single DVDs.
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:31 pm

I've bought all the other versions of the dvds so I'm buying these too.

Although these are the [american] DRAGONBOXES so they would be on the list to buy anyway.

Question: Aside from Kai in the US; what else can they really put out?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:04 pm

I'm skipping them. Got most of them already, so no point in buying a newer version. Kinda like how some people may have bought a movie on dvd or vhs years ago, with barely anything extra, then it was re-released in a special 2-3 disc edition. Ain't buying what you already got.

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:50 pm

I have all but two of the Double Features. I'll probably just buy the two I don't have at some point, and maybe pick up the DragonBox movie set if and when I can find it at a reasonable price later on.

I have the first half of GT in the old FUNi single releases. I'm not sure how I'm going to go about collecting the rest. I may just wait to see if we hear anything about a GT DragonBox... If we don't, I may just pick up the the Green Bricks, or just try to find the later half of the single releases.

And, depending on the quality of the Dragon Ball Blue Bricks, I may go ahead and pick those up while I can... Otherwise, I can wait a while to hear about a DragonBox.

I am replacing my four Orange Bricks with the DragonBoxes though. Those are my priority right now.
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:59 pm

Considering my status as a poor college student who has completed the Orange Brick and GT collection (which I do not hate like everyone else) I will be passing on the Boxes. If they were to be released on Bluray, I would more likely than not be jumping on that, but I have all of Z and GT (DB once the Blue Bricks are released) on DVD so there isn't much of a reason for me to spend all that money for a upgrade like that.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

RyujiOtogi

Post by RyujiOtogi » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:24 pm

Even if they don't bring over the DB/DBGT Dragon Box footage, I'll still get the Z boxes. Having some of the Dragon Box is better than having none of it. I'm not gonna settle for the orange bricks just because my collection may not be as consistent if they only release Z. As for Dragon Ball, I'm gonna finish my Region 4 collection. If Dragon Ball gets FUNi-boxes later on, then I'll sell them. I already have all of GT, but I'll double dip if it also gets a D-Box release.
NWO Truth: Educate Yourself
[url=http://www.nfowars.net:443/stream1.pls]Alex Jones Radio Show[/url]
[url=http://www.infowars.com/]Infowars[/url]

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:43 pm

I refuse to skip on any possible Dragonbox release.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

DBAlpha

Post by DBAlpha » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:03 pm

Most likely going to import these from the US when they are released. Instead of buying all of the singles out here, I might as well import something cheaper to save my Yen.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:13 pm

I'm skipping the Dragonball Dragonbox and GT Dragonbox, I'm not buying those series twice especially when we already have a perfectly good 4:3 release for both.

The Z sets looked like shit so I will be picking those up.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:24 pm

Lol, throwing away my beliefs and skimping out on any possible DBOX release of Dragon Ball, only because I've waited forever to own it. I'll settle for the season sets.

GT, I'll hold out for. Haven't pined for it like the OG, so I can wait.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:53 pm

I'm already definitely gonig to be selling my Z Season Sets for the Z FUNiBoxes.

However, I'm happy with the GT Season Sets, so unless any eventual GT FUNiBoxes have some REALLY BIG improvement over them, I'll pass. GT as a series honestly doesn't seem worth it like the others, and the Season Sets for it are really quite good. Video angles and next episode previews aren't that big a deal for me.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:40 pm

I gotta catch em' all.

DBZGokuSaiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZGokuSaiyan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:03 pm

I'm skipping even the Z Dragon Boxes. Now, before you all massacre me, let's just say I prefer the FUNi colors to the Dragon Box colors, as well as a few other things from the older full screen FUNi box sets from 2003-2005. But that's just my personal taste. To each, his/her own.
Get Sponsored. Give Back.

SocialVibe

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:20 am

I'll get anything and everything FUNi releases that are actual "Dragon Boxes"

Let me put this into perspective. I HATE GT with an undying passion.
I will buy and Watch DBGT on sheer principle if FUNimation releases Dragon Box GT.