On the 4 galaxies

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:38 pm

Shoryuken wrote:
Herms wrote:
Shoryuken wrote:The Dragon Ball wikia says that the Japanese word for these gaurdians of worlds are "kami-sama" (神様) does that even equate?
神/kami is the Japanese word for "god", and 様/sama is an honorifc added on to names to show respect. It's used to describe all the various gods in the series, though it's mostly associated with Earth's God. The specific title for the gods of the four galaxies/areas is 界王/kaiou, literally "World King", while the gods who stand above even them are called 界王神/kaioushin, "World King Gods". The dub basically uses "guardian" as a euphemism for "god".
Thanks, although I was actually referring to the Kami's title as Guardian of Earth.
Like he said, 'Guardian of Earth' is a dub only title. It's just to avoid calling him God, which would attract anger from certain religious groups.

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:43 pm

Bussani wrote:
Shoryuken wrote:
Herms wrote: 神/kami is the Japanese word for "god", and 様/sama is an honorifc added on to names to show respect. It's used to describe all the various gods in the series, though it's mostly associated with Earth's God. The specific title for the gods of the four galaxies/areas is 界王/kaiou, literally "World King", while the gods who stand above even them are called 界王神/kaioushin, "World King Gods". The dub basically uses "guardian" as a euphemism for "god".
Thanks, although I was actually referring to the Kami's title as Guardian of Earth.
Like he said, 'Guardian of Earth' is a dub only title. It's just to avoid calling him God, which would attract anger from certain religious groups.
Just that's it's mentioned in the DragonBall Super Exciting Guide that a guardian is appointed for each world so what's the japanese translation of this.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:02 pm

Shoryuken wrote:Just that's it's mentioned in the DragonBall Super Exciting Guide that a guardian is appointed for each world so what's the japanese translation of this.
Does the Super Exciting Guide really call it a 'guardian'? It's just Kami, aka God, plus his assistants (Karin and Mr Popo in Earth's case) who were sent from the afterlife. I'm pretty sure there's nothing other than that.

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:23 pm

Bussani wrote:
Shoryuken wrote:Just that's it's mentioned in the DragonBall Super Exciting Guide that a guardian is appointed for each world so what's the japanese translation of this.
Does the Super Exciting Guide really call it a 'guardian'? It's just Kami, aka God, plus his assistants (Karin and Mr Popo in Earth's case) who were sent from the afterlife. I'm pretty sure there's nothing other than that.
I'm forgetful some times. Reading through the thread related to the guide. They aren't even called guardians, but gods as this quote from Herms proves:
The section on the gods has a chart of the god hierarchy, explaining the role of each station of god. The gods in the living world are chosen from among the inhabitants of each planet, and are given attendants from the afterlife to support them (the God of Earth’s attendants are Karin and Mister Popo). Their job is to oversee their particular planet. The god of the Enma Realm is of course Enma Daio, who oversees the souls of the dead, and passes judgment on them to determine whether they go to Heaven or Hell.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:33 pm

Shoryuken wrote:Thanks, although I was actually referring to the Kami's title as Guardian of Earth.
His title is 地球の神/Chikyuu-no-Kami, God of Earth. The Funi dub calls the character "Kami" and describes him as "Guardian of the Earth", so it gives the impression that his name is Kami, rather than a job title for an otherwise nameless character. As far as I know, "guardian" has never been used in any official Japanese materials to describe the DB gods. It's simply a term Funi uses in place of "god", presumably to avoid controversy.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Fox666
I Live Here

Re:

Post by Fox666 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:00 pm

Herms wrote:神/kami is the Japanese word for "god", and 様/sama is an honorifc added on to names to show respect. It's used to describe all the various gods in the series, though it's mostly associated with Earth's God. The specific title for the gods of the four galaxies/areas is 界王/kaiou, literally "World King", while the gods who stand above even them are called 界王神/kaioushin, "World King Gods". The dub basically uses "guardian" as a euphemism for "god".
Interesting. Kami-sama stands for "Mr. God" them?

At most I prefer to use the japanese terms Kami and Kaio, since it's based on another religion, you would cause confusion in the hierarchy if you translate every term.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: Re:

Post by Rocketman » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:27 pm

Fox666 wrote:Interesting. Kami-sama stands for "Mr. God" them?
"Lord God" would be the better translation.

Fox666
I Live Here

Re: On the 4 galaxies

Post by Fox666 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:35 pm

Wow, I necro-posted and did not even notice. :oops:

mistershin

Post by mistershin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:04 pm

Necro, But its a valid necro.

I stumbled upon this website which has some translation for Daizenshuu 7. Particularly the parts we are talking about.
Galaxies and Areas.

http://magikarp46.dyndns.org/dragonball ... 7-044.html

エリア
Eria
Area
Means each region of the universe, which is divided into East, West, South, North. It is expressed as the "East Area" and the "West Area." The areas divided into East, West, South, North are governed by respective Kaiou.
[Par.] Like the universe, the Demon Realm is also divided into multiple areas.

http://magikarp46.dyndns.org/dragonball ... 7-046.html

銀河
Ginga
Galaxy
A gathering of local planets in the universe. Planets gather and form a nebula, and beyond that, a collection of gathered nebulae is called a galaxy. The four Kaiou who rule over the east, west, south, and north [sections] of the universe actually govern these galaxies. Because the Kami in the Heavenly Realm and the Kaiou supervise the galaxies that exist infinitely in all the universe, the sections known as the East, West, South, and North Galaxies are denominations that came into use through their duty.

I have bolded the part that implies more than 4 galaxies.
"Galaxies that exist infinitely" - meaning a lot of galaxies, effectively a large unknown number of galaxies in the Universe.

The last line pretty much answers are questions on the confusion.
"North Galaxies are denominations that came into use through their duty" - Meaning 'North Galaxy(ies)' is nothing more than a NAME or TITLE (Denomination), it does not mean literally 'a single galaxy in the North'.

Note: This is all under the assumption that the translation is translated correct!!!!!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:24 pm

The website you're linking to is our own TripleRach's stuff. We have no concerns with it :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:38 pm

The thing is, the World View section immediately before the glossary twice refers to there being 4 galaxies. So we've got two specific references to only 4 galaxies, versus one that implies more. Other guidebooks also have several references to 4 galaxies.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.