What part of the series did you start watching first?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:44 am

I'm pretty sure the first part I saw was something from the old Ocean dub of seasons one and two.

I remember it was Nappa and Vegeta stuff. The first bit I remember seeing was when Vegeta and Nappa landed on Earth... And then I remember people fighting Nappa after his armor got destroyed.

And I'm pretty sure that this was the end of Cartoon Network's constant rerunning of the first two seasons, because the next part I remember is early season three stuff, but it wouldn't have been long enough for them to get through the first two seasons again.
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

piccolo-san785
Beyond Newbie

Post by piccolo-san785 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:33 am

I began watching around the Namek Saga

TriforceCaptre
Beyond Newbie

Post by TriforceCaptre » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:00 am

I first saw and became aware of the show during the stuff on Namek, but, I didn't actually start watching and getting into the show until about the time Majin Buu first showed up.
"There's ten thousand reasons to survive, but you only needed one to die." -CKY-

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:10 am

Dragon ball ep 1

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:37 am

I was introduced in Dragon Ball Z before I actually watched a DBZ episode. I really only got into it from the DBZ games, like DBZ Ultimate Battle 22 and DBZ Budokai 2. I didn't have Toonami or any of the channels that aired DBZ at that time, but my friend did. One time, when I went round his house, DBZ was showing on Toonami, and they were showing the episode where Gotenks had finally been formed and Old Kaioshin was doing his dance ritual around Gohan. That was the first full episode of DBZ I had watched, although I pretty much knew the whole basic story of DBZ from Budokai 2.

Although, unfortunately, because of Budokai 2, I was misled into thinking that Raditz came to Earth with Nappa, Saibaimen were around in the story as, like, "henchmen for rent", Dr. Gero had fought against Son Goku and a whole lot of other false stuff. :lol:
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:38 am

The Ocean dub from the very beginning of Z!! XD

Wow, that was a while ago!

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:34 am

I started from the begining: Ocean dub appearance of Raditz.

Though, I still haven't seen all of the Buu Saga. It's a weird feeling. I do have all of the gaps covered though (I haven't seen almost any of the Fusion Saga, but I have the manga volumes of it. I've got it covered).

VFX

Post by VFX » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:57 am

Started at the beginning of Z back in 98.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:06 am

I started watching the series from episode 1 back in '97 or '98 when it first came on Toonami at 5:00 or 5:30. It was moved around a lot, so I'm not sure when it originally aired. However, to my own sadness, I didn't actually start watching the show religiously until episode 2, as I changed the channel not long after episode 1 began. For some reason I didn't care about episode 1. :(

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:15 am

I started watching the series through Dragon Ball Z when the Saban dub used to air on UPN very early in the morning around the time when Pokémon used to be aired around the same time. I don't remember how long I watched this particular version or if I even did it more than a few times, but that's how I remember my first exposure to the series. After that, Toonami started airing their dub of the show, which I'd watch until it stopped airing entirely.

After Dragon Ball Z, I started watching the original Dragon Ball, which was also on Toonami at the time, though it didn't start airing until later on. Eventually they showed GT as well, but I never got to watch it much--whenever it was on, I'd either not be around or I'd be watching something else. I ended up never liking the dub of GT that much anyway, so it was no huge loss in that regard.

Other random exposures to the series include my copy of The World's Strongest and Tree of Might DVD, but I'm pretty sure I'd already been a fan of the series pretty adamantly at that point.

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:21 am

The first episode i saw was the filler episode before namek where they're on that spaceship with all the people who's home planet had been destroyed by freeza. It was on at 7:30 or so right before Mega Man on UPN. Must have been 1997 or 1996.

Did not start watching regularly until Moltar era.

However, as someone who followed video games religiously as a child, this was not the first time I saw DBZ-related media. I remember a couple magazines(Tips & Tricks, Game Players) covering or referencing Dragonball Z in their import section. This was in 1994 or so. I always thought it was a video game series before I knew it was a manga/anime.

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:07 pm

Friend told me how cool a show it was...

So I bought the first few DBZ VHS tapes.

So episode 1 was the first.

Or maybe I should say episodes 1-4(5) as these episodes were put together as a movie.
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:08 pm

Piccolo Jr. saga on RTL II but it was in the middle of fight and I didn't got what the hell is it about and I wasn't interested, some time after it I went ill and switching between channels, there were broadcasting Buu Saga, Goku vs Vegeta on Polish RTL7 channel, French dub. I thought, hey nice, I never thought that fighting in cartoon should be interesting like that, I wonder how it's called? Dragon Ball Z?? That means that it's the same show but different series of that boring stuff I saw on RTL II.....

So there I started to watching whole Dragon Ball on TV and today I think that Dragon Ball is a lot better then Z and from manga I enjoy Goku vs Piccolo Jr. battle most from all those battles.....
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:28 pm

If anyone has the CN schedule for October 14, 1998 then I can confirm that that was the date I saw my first episode of DBZ. I know it was the episode where Vegeta slaughtered that Namekian village (Ocean episode #39, I think). I remember a friend has convinced me to change to CN (I was eight at the time...and I think it was the first time I'd ever seen the channel) and such was that. I remember that I was concurrently watching an episode of Power Rangers in Space ("The Silver Secret"), but from there on I was hooked. When we first began to see promos for the airing of a DBZ MOVIE, man the neighborhood kids were wetting ourselves.

The use of Rock the Dragon also stunned us!! Man, I think I might still have that recording on tape somewhere...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:07 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:05 pm

My first time watching was when Frieza transformed from his 3rd for to his final form. Oh Toonami...
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

email2003
Beyond Newbie

Post by email2003 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:50 pm

I first started watching where Gohan, Krillin and Vegeta were all at Guru's House and Vegeta was talking smack to Nail. DBZ was on WB channel 39 here in Houston and was aired around Saturday mornings at 6 or 7 A.M. back in 1996.

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:26 pm

When I started watching the series, I think it was the Buu arc, because I remember watching the SSJ3 Goku episode, although I do remember watching episodes of the Cell Games and early Saiyajin episodes, and I don't specifically remember if those episodes were before or after seeing the Buu episodes. But oh well. :?
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:40 pm

It was when Toonami was re-airing the Cell games saga. To be specific, episode 181, when Gohan first started fighting Cell. At first, I was only watching it because I was bored, but after seeing the next episode preview for 182, I wanted to see what would happen next and just got more interested. Gohan snapping at #16's death and going SSJ2 is what hooked me onto the show and made me a fan.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:28 pm

My introduction to the series is pretty convoluted, and I don't remember too much of it myself either, but I do know that the first EPISODE I saw was the first half or so of the English-dubbed DBZ episode 1, through an unfinished download I got from some peer-to-peer program long ago. I was somewhat familiar with the series prior to that, through both video games and various internet fansites, though fansubs and the like were much much harder to get ahold of in Norway than America, so I had to do with mostly indirect exposure until the manga got released in Denmark.

I had always known "Dragon Ball Z" was predated by "Dragon Ball" (and I knew this split didn't exist in the manga before I started buying it), and when by a complete random chance I came across a store selling import DVDs, I first asked for "Dragon Ball". Dragon Ball was not available on DVD, however, so I had to do with DBZ, and picked up the earliest material i could find - the English dub-only release of Z episode 5-10. Some time after buying the manga, I got ahold of the dub-only DVD release of the 13 first episodes of Dragonball, and eventually started picking up the bilingual Dragonball DVDs once Funi started releasing them (at this point I believe i had read the manga up to Gohan going SSJ2, so almost all the DVDs I could get ahold of would cover material I had already read. The Z DVDs were like 60$ for 3 episodes, too, so i stuck with the early material.

Dub-wise... those first 19 episodes I bought were on dub-only DVDs, so I had zero choice in the matter, but I do remember buying the "Tournament Saga" and intending to watch both the original and the dub of each episode. I mean, I had paid for them all, it essentially meant getting twice as many episodes, and the DVD set wasn't exactly cheap ($100 or so?). So I watched DB episode 14 in Japanese, my first ever exposure to the original dub of the series. Then I watched the dub of the same episode. And that the point I decided the was zero point in watching this crap any more, and stuck to the original from that point. It was just that much better.

(I still do have a tiiiiny bit of nostalgic affection for Ocean dub DBZ episode 5-10, though. Not enough to actually want to rewatch them, but I can't bring myself to actively dislike them as much as the rest of the English dub, so I kind of see where you dub fans come from)
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!