How will episodes will be arranged in the other Funi Dboxes?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

johnboy1
Regular

How will episodes will be arranged in the other Funi Dboxes?

Post by johnboy1 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:05 am

Assuming, of course, they decide to go full-bore and bring DB, DBGT, and the movies over here in the DBoxes. We know the Z boxes are going to be in sets of 42 (aside from the last one, which will have 39), but how do you think they'll divide up DB and GT?

If they stick with seven boxes to go with the Dragon Ball motif, that'll give us 22 episodes per box with DB (with only 21 on the last box). That's acceptable, but the same arrangement would leave us with 9 episodes per box of GT, with them having to cram 10 onto the last one. That's not much better than the days of the FUNi singles.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:15 am

I think the 'seven sets for seven DragonBalls' theme will obviously only be for DBZ.

I'm willing to bet any future DBox release of GT would contain the entire 64-episodes series in one box, just like the original release. If FUNi's aiming to really please us with that, then the GT FUNiBox would be a near-identical copy of the R2 box in terms of packaging, content, etc. Except in English, obviously.

As for DragonBall, who can tell? Only 22 episodes per box seems... unthinkable at this point. XD I'd bet we'd just get it evenly divided up into 3 or 4 boxes, however the amount works out.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:22 am

I don't know about getting all of GT in one go. 64 episodes seems a tad large for one box set (not to mention the TV Special, but they might stick that on the Movie box). If I had to guess, I'd say they'll split it up into two sets of 32 episodes.

As for DB, three sets would be 51 episodes per box, and four would be 38 per box (with 39 on the last one). I have a feeling they'll go with four, but that's just me.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:42 am

I definitely think they'll go with four sets for Dragon Ball. Three sets means too many episodes per disc. Anymore sets than four will mean a lot less episodes per box than the remastered releases or the DBZ Dragon Boxes.

FUNimation will probably split GT into two box sets like they did with the remastered release, with the TV special on the second Dragon Box. I'd rather have one Dragon Box but I think there's just too many episodes.

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:50 am

Let's not get ahead of ourselves... As of yet, there is no mention of DBox's for DragonBall or DBGT. I'm not saying it won't happen, but don't set yourselves up for disappointment.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:02 am

What are you talking about? FUNimation is our bitch, now. Give them time, and they'll be back for some more hardcore fan luvin'.

piccolo-san785
Beyond Newbie

Post by piccolo-san785 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:04 am

Mountain wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves... As of yet, there is no mention of DBox's for DragonBall or DBGT. I'm not saying it won't happen, but don't set yourselves up for disappointment.
For my sake I hope they do release a GT dbox since I sold my GT season sets a while back.

Hopefully Funi will make an announcement in 2010 regarding a GT dbox or a DB dbox which I highly doubt they will. Since they just began releasing the DB season sets.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:15 am

I kinda think with the Dragon Ball Dragon Ball, FUNi might release it in seven parts. It would be cheaper than DBZ and would only contain a single DVD book and a Dragon Book.

Personally, I'd prefer it if FUNi just sold the seven DVD books individual except for the first one, which would come will the Dragon Book and that awesome red box to put the future DVD books in.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:32 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:I kinda think with the Dragon Ball Dragon Ball, FUNi might release it in seven parts. It would be cheaper than DBZ and would only contain a single DVD book and a Dragon Book.

Personally, I'd prefer it if FUNi just sold the seven DVD books individual except for the first one, which would come will the Dragon Book and that awesome red box to put the future DVD books in.
Dragonball as 7 individual books would mean 3 discs per set, right? Well, except for one. It would have to have 4 discs. At least if they put 7 episodes per disc like the Z sets. Then it would look a little unbalanced.

And did you realize how ridiculous a set like that would be? DVD-book-DVD-book-DVD-book etc, all in one big box? I don't think that would work. Edit: Nevermind. I just read that the first set would come with the box AND the book. Ooh I'm too tired for big posts...

They could get it down to 4 regular sized boxes if they included the movies on the last set, and if they don't put them on the Movies Dragon Box (which is so far, the only confirmation of DBox footage Funi has). Or they could do 3 really big boxes, but since slim ad trim Dragon Boxes seems to be what they're going for, I doubt it'll be 3.

On that note, one big GT box will probably be out of the question. What they could do for that set though... First set=42 episodes, regular set of 6 discs. Second set=22 episodes plus special on 4 discs, Plus one big Dragon Book. Though I'm not sure how the set would line-up. It'd be really mis-matched. So fuck, I dunno lol.

In conclusion, who knows... we'll see. :P
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:51 am

nathantheguitarist wrote:On that note, one big GT box will probably be out of the question. What they could do for that set though... First set=42 episodes, regular set of 6 discs. Second set=22 episodes plus special on 4 discs, Plus one big Dragon Book. Though I'm not sure how the set would line-up. It'd be really mis-matched. So fuck, I dunno lol.
I think it's more likely that they would split the series equally with 32 episodes and a Dragon Book in each set and then the TV special on Dragon Box 2. That way it would be nice and even.

Edit: Plus I think Funimation would want to keep the episode guides in the Dragon Book bundled with their respective episodes.

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:26 am

Do we have any solid sales numbers on DBOX 1 so far?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:20 am

Not that I'm aware of. Would be nice to know.
nathantheguitarist wrote:Dragonball as 7 individual books would mean 3 discs per set, right? Well, except for one. It would have to have 4 discs. At least if they put 7 episodes per disc like the Z sets. Then it would look a little unbalanced.

And did you realize how ridiculous a set like that would be? DVD-book-DVD-book-DVD-book etc, all in one big box? I don't think that would work. Edit: Nevermind. I just read that the first set would come with the box AND the book. Ooh I'm too tired for big posts...

They could get it down to 4 regular sized boxes if they included the movies on the last set, and if they don't put them on the Movies Dragon Box (which is so far, the only confirmation of DBox footage Funi has). Or they could do 3 really big boxes, but since slim ad trim Dragon Boxes seems to be what they're going for, I doubt it'll be 3.

On that note, one big GT box will probably be out of the question. What they could do for that set though... First set=42 episodes, regular set of 6 discs. Second set=22 episodes plus special on 4 discs, Plus one big Dragon Book. Though I'm not sure how the set would line-up. It'd be really mis-matched. So fuck, I dunno lol.

In conclusion, who knows... we'll see. :P
Ah... I messed up the math in my head. Lol.

Perhaps it'll be six boxes. Each box would contain two DVD books with two disks per book (No overlapping! Yay!) and a Dragon Book for the respective episodes. The sixth box set would only contain one DVD book... Unless they had the extras disk from the Japanese Dragon Box! Then it would be perfect and would match the Dragon Box Z.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Shigeru
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shigeru » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:22 pm

You really think they'd release GT in 7 sets? o_o

Maybe 1 or 2 sets...
[b][url=http://twitter.com/ShigeruTurbo]Twitter[/url][/b]
I like the English dub. Kill me.
Fan since 1995.

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:23 pm

Personally, I would easily fork over the extra money to get all of GT Dragon Box in one go. I like the idea of having an entire series in one box, plus, I have a hard time waiting for future sets. Though it probably is unlikely that FUNi would release GT like that, since Remastered Sets had 10 discs in all and the DBoxes had 11 discs, I believe. I can't see FUNi releasing a set with so many discs.

The Dragon Box The Movies, on the other hand, I think they definately should release in one box. Though, I'm not sure how many discs that would be...
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:34 pm

Just as they had to do with Z, where the Dragon Box version was announced a mere *two months* after the release of the ninth/final orange brick, they'll have to do something significant for either DB or DBGT to set it apart from the previous releases.

GT just finished its tidy little two-set release in February of this year. That definitely puts them at a "time" advantage -- we can pretty safely assume that they'll focus on Z for a while before making any further announcements, so GT can have some time to sit before it get a re-re-re-release. It's also pretty safe to say that GT would be the next for a treatment, since DB is only just now getting going with the big "season set" packaging and that'll take a good bit to go through.

Time isn't enough, though. If they were to release two "Dragon Box" sets for GT, that's just not "different enough" from the previous release to justify it. I really think they'll have to do one giant box for that one, if it's ever to happen. Maybe a solid $99.99 MSRP on it, too.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:46 pm

I honestly don't see any possible announcements, if any at all, for GT. The whole reason we even got the DBox for Z was because we had never had a steady, proper release for the series. The Z DBox was obviously intended to cater to the majority of us who BEGGED for a proper 4:3 release that wasn't full of horrible remastering flaws.

GT, on the other hand, has gotten a *near* perfect release this time around, unlike DBZ. Dragon Ball might be in the same picture due to the inclusion of the episodes we never got on DVD in the US.

If anything, DBZ's been screwed with moreso than the other two. I'd say the DBox release is just to try and get us to stop 1-starring their orange bricks on Amazon. :p
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:11 pm

I'd rather one big GT box over two boxes. It would be a better sell over the season sets.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:20 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:23 pm

Complete packaging or not, even touting it as something new or not...

They won't pass up any opportunity to re-release a part of the DB franchise at some point in the future. It's in their best interest *to* market it as different, of course...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

james039

Post by james039 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:30 pm

Tsukento wrote:I honestly don't see any possible announcements, if any at all, for GT. The whole reason we even got the DBox for Z was because we had never had a steady, proper release for the series. The Z DBox was obviously intended to cater to the majority of us who BEGGED for a proper 4:3 release that wasn't full of horrible remastering flaws.

GT, on the other hand, has gotten a *near* perfect release this time around, unlike DBZ. Dragon Ball might be in the same picture due to the inclusion of the episodes we never got on DVD in the US.

If anything, DBZ's been screwed with moreso than the other two. I'd say the DBox release is just to try and get us to stop 1-starring their orange bricks on Amazon. :p
I didn't buy the GT sets, and I'm not buying the blue-box Dragon Ball sets because of the missing Japanese content (previews are still missing from Dragon Ball, and title slates are English only)

There are features they can market to purists to sell Dragon Box versions of these series, easily.