Name Pun Round-up

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Name Pun Round-up

Post by Hujio » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:22 am

Amigo Ten wrote:
Olivier Hague wrote:
Xyex wrote:Viz and FUNi sliced it down to "Kakarot" because, technically, that's what it is.
According to...?
It's just how the name is appropriated into English. Like how "Seru" becomes "Cell", or "Dabura" becomes "Dabra". In Japanese, words can't end on a consonant sound, apart from an N, like Gohan/Goten (I think there's other exceptions, someone else could no doubt explain it better), so it has to be Kakarotto rather than Kakarot.

Exactly why it should be Kakarot rather than Kakarotto when translated is something I'm clueless about, but if it was supposed to be Kakarotto I'm sure someone would have said so by now.
I think people are blurring the line between translation and transliteration. This seems to be something that's brought up a lot and then gets argued about. Kakarot is a transliteration of カカロット (Kakarotto), not a translation. There is no actual translation for the name, because it's a name. You can't just translate a name from one language to another, except in rare cases like Cell or Trunks, where the names are take straight from English. You can say what a name means, but you don't translate it!

Think of it this way. My given name is Heath, which is English, meaning "field of heather". If you were to actually translate my name, and only God knows why you would want to do that, then that's what it would mean. But no one calls me that, because it isn't my name. They call me Heath, because that is my name. The same applies to Japanese names. Take Toriyama Akira (鳥山 明) for example. His name is made up of the characters for "bird", "mountain", and "dawn". If you met him in person, you wouldn't call him "Bird Mountain at Dawn", you'd call him Toriyama Akira or Toriyama-sensei, or if you're a complete ass-hat, just Akira. The same can be said for the fictitious name Kakarotto. In English, Kakarotto, Kakarot, Kakarrot, and Cacarrot are all acceptable transliterations of the name. There isn't one that's really that much more correct than the other. And so, this is where personal preference comes into play and arguments commence.

So, are we all on the same page now? :P
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:27 am

Okay, but is there a reason why it's always transliterated without the to on the end? I can't recall ever seeing Kakarotto on an English language product.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:20 am

Amigo Ten wrote:Okay, but is there a reason why it's always transliterated without the to on the end? I can't recall ever seeing Kakarotto on an English language product.
It could be for two reasons:
(1) Most English words don't really end in a hard vowel sound. Or I should say, it isn't too common, so they just dropped it.
(2) The pun is on carrot, so they decided to have it end the same way, without the "o".

My guess is they did it for both reasons, but maybe just a touch more of the latter one.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:05 am

Hujio wrote:
Amigo Ten wrote:Okay, but is there a reason why it's always transliterated without the to on the end? I can't recall ever seeing Kakarotto on an English language product.
(1) Most English words don't really end in a hard vowel sound. Or I should say, it isn't too common, so they just dropped it.
(2) The pun is on carrot, so they decided to have it end the same way, without the "o".
Most probably, yeah...
And here's a reason why it probably shouldn't have been spelled without the final "to": "Vegetto"
"Kakarotto" (or "Kakarrotto"?) "works" and would make a lot more sense in the end, when the Vegetto thingy happens...

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:11 am

Which is why Viz changed it to Vegerot, as someone said.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:57 am

Amigo Ten wrote:Which is why Viz changed it to Vegerot, as someone said.
Er... Yeah, "thanks"? ^^;
I'm just saying they wouldn't have had to change anything if they had called Gokû "Kakarotto" (or "Kakarrotto") with the final "to".
Last edited by Olivier Hague on Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:08 am

I'm still not sure if I prefer to change to Vegerot over just keeping Vegetto, given that they don't use Kakarotto. Funimation just kept Kakarot and Vegetto (spelled Vegito, but whatever), and I could never work out where the name came from until it was explained to me.

Vegerot gets around that problem, but it's just an unpleasant sounding name.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:07 am

Hujio wrote:

My guess is they did it for both reasons, but maybe just a touch more of the latter one.
Number 2 is probably why they did it, since Kakarot is closer to carrot.

On that subject, shouldn't it be Cakarot because it starts with a "c" like carrot.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:55 am

So, should include fusion characters? I guess I thought they were too obvious to include. Though the main thing I'm trying to add next is technique names.
Olivier Hague wrote:Seriously though, I still have that list of the various alphabet spellings I found on official Japanese stuff... 'Think it could be an interesting addition?
(or maybe you've already compiled such a list yourself... I wouldn't be surprised!)
Sure, why not? I don't really have a list like that myself, though I've been thinking of looking through the Carddass daizenshuu and listing all alphabet spellings used on cards. Maybe I'll just add in any characters if they're not on your list.
SHINOBI-03 wrote:
Herms wrote:Saibaiman combines saibai, ‘cultivation’, and ‘man’, so they should have been “Cultivated-Men” or something like that, if they wanted to translate the name. Maybe Viz simply dislikes names ending in ‘man’, because they think it’s makes it seem like a superhero comic? Another problem with “the Cultivators” though is that they’re the ones who are cultivated; they don’t actually cultivate anything else. So if anything they should be “the Cultivated”.
Hah, I guess when I wrote that I didn't realize that the Viz name for them is actually "Cultivars" rather than "Cultivators".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:34 am

Olivier Hague wrote:
Xyex wrote:Viz and FUNi sliced it down to "Kakarot" because, technically, that's what it is.
According to...?
I was just going with the pun, there. "Kakarot" is closer to "Carrot" than "Kakarotto" is. To me it's a similar concept (not the same, but similar) as to how "Cell" is closer to, well, "Cell" than "Seru" is. Technically they're both right but one is just closer to the punned word than the other.

Of course, this doesn't stop me from using Kakkarotto in my fanfiction. :lol:
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:27 am

@SHINOBI-03:Mira-kun was the original name of the mummy from the Baba arc. That's not really a name change..

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:55 am

RoarkVegeta wrote:@SHINOBI-03:Mira-kun was the original name of the mummy from the Baba arc. That's not really a name change..
The order goes "Viz name" -> "Original Name" in that list.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Herms wrote:Gure:
Possibly a pun on “grape”, or perhaps also the alien Greys, which she somewhat resembles?
Source Spelling:: グレープ/gureepu or グレー/guree
Name Spelling: グレ/Gure
It's eventually Grey, Jake. Thanks!
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:51 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:
Possibly a pun on “grape”, or perhaps also the alien Greys, which she somewhat resembles?
Umm.................................. What...? I don't get it... Does she at some point in the future turn grey or something? Right now the pun is on "grape", but eventually it will be "Grey"? :shock: :?: :!:

*utterly confused, because you make absolutely no sense, as usual*

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:58 pm

Hujio wrote:
SilverPlaqueVII wrote:
Umm.................................. What...? I don't get it... Does she at some point in the future turn grey or something? Right now the pun is on "grape", but eventually it will be "Grey"? :shock: :?: :!:

*utterly confused, because you make absolutely no sense, as usual*
He means that Gure transliterates into Grey, which is false because they have different pronounciations.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:07 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:
RoarkVegeta wrote:@SHINOBI-03:Mira-kun was the original name of the mummy from the Baba arc. That's not really a name change..
*facepalm* Sorry.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:45 am

RoarkVegeta wrote:
SHINOBI-03 wrote:
*facepalm* Sorry.
Why? Can you explain yourself?
I am not agreeing with Shinobi-03, but your post gives no information whatsoever to why you think it's wrong.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:51 am

Nikki's name is correct. That name is from cinnamon NOT diary. Nikki's name is a reference to the Japanese word Nikki (ニッキ, Nikki, in romaji), which means cinnamon.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:33 am

Godo wrote:
RoarkVegeta wrote:
SHINOBI-03 wrote:The order goes "Viz name" -> "Original Name" in that list.
*facepalm* Sorry.
Why? Can you explain yourself?
I am not agreeing with Shinobi-03, but your post gives no information whatsoever to why you think it's wrong.
He's not saying that Shinobi's wrong, but that he was. The "*facepalm*" was him basically saying "I'm an idiot, missed that, thanks"
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:54 am

Xyex wrote: He's not saying that Shinobi's wrong, but that he was. The "*facepalm*" was him basically saying "I'm an idiot, missed that, thanks"
Ah, that clears it up. Facepalm to my face. :D
I've been little bit dense lately. Two finals and lots of credits in between, and classes too. Sigh.