Computer animated DB film?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Computer animated DB film?

Post by SaiyaMel » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:57 am

What would you folks think of a computer animated film (like Avatar) version of Dragon Ball to come out on the big screen - but with elements independent from those of the original manga/anime series and DB Evolution, with its own twist on things..

This is something I would like to see happen, but would you think something like that would be a good idea?
Just Saiyan...

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Computer animated DB film?

Post by Velasa » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:01 am

No. Just.... no. I'm not a fan of 3D computer animation, and I don't think the characters ever really look right in the models they make for things like the games. Something is always awkward in ways that just doesn't show though in the 2D realm. And as for motion capture like Avatar... I don't really think so either. I like my Dragonball cel-style.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

PatPat
Not-So-Newbie

Post by PatPat » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:07 am

I think it would work a lot better than the live action version did.
Super Vegito wrote:
Fox666 wrote:Yeah, I am 21 and stay at my parents house playing videogame and arguing on the internet
I hope that's sarcasm.

yunzabit
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yunzabit » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:07 am

SaiyaMel wrote: with elements independent from those of the original manga/anime series , with its own twist on things..
Why would making a Dragonball film without using the story of Dragonball seem like a good idea to you or anyone else for that matter?
And no I don't care if you have ideas on how to remake Dragonball better.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:13 am

I really don't like the idea. I'm not a big fan of CGI-animation anyway(Besides Pixar) and it seems animation in general has been taken over by this crappy flash animation stuff in the past few years. It just wouldn't work out.

Remember last Naruto's Jump special last year? Yeah, me neither.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:06 am

yunzabit wrote:
SaiyaMel wrote: with elements independent from those of the original manga/anime series , with its own twist on things..
Why would making a Dragonball film without using the story of Dragonball seem like a good idea to you or anyone else for that matter?
And no I don't care if you have ideas on how to remake Dragonball better.
Based off it, like DBE.
And I don't care about nor did I ask for your opinion on that issue.
Big Momma:
Remember last Naruto's Jump special last year?
I haven't seen it.
PatPat wrote:I think it would work a lot better than the live action version did.
Agree, that is the point.
Just Saiyan...

DBZ_1997

Post by DBZ_1997 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:25 am

All I would love to see is a DBZ movie just like Wrath of the Dragon, Bardock: The Father Of Goku, The Worlds Strongest ect. But as an epic movie length feature, also wouldn't mind if it's all renewed like Yo! Son Goku And His Friends Return!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:18 pm

While I do like 3D, not for DB. I'm kind of tired of the 3D openings in the video games, so I don't think I'd really care for an entire feature-length movie in that form; I'd want the 2D. I feel like ever since the Sparking games it keeps being lost opportunity after lost opportunity to make brand new, short animated game openings. :( I loved the openings for Budoukai 2 and 3. The sagas opening was too off-model for me.

I do really want to see a new, 2D animated DB movie though.

No dbe elements, please. >_<
Though I don't think I need to worry about that anyway, I seriously doubt they'll make a sequel to a movie that didn't earn much money.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:10 pm

Like I've always said: If it works and doesn't suck, I'm all for it.

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:57 am

Velasa wrote:No. Just.... no. I'm not a fan of 3D computer animation, and I don't think the characters ever really look right in the models they make for things like the games. Something is always awkward in ways that just doesn't show though in the 2D realm. And as for motion capture like Avatar... I don't really think so either. I like my Dragonball cel-style.
We live with more than just 2 dimensions, physics proves it!

I'd love to see a db movie this way.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:09 am

I'd be up for anything, as long as it doesn't flop like Evolution.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:06 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:We live with more than just 2 dimensions, physics proves it!
Well of course we do, I just don't think Dragonball looks good that way. Perfectly entitled to your opinion though.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:14 pm

Velasa wrote:
Well of course we do, I just don't think Dragonball looks good that way. Perfectly entitled to your opinion though.
It actually can look good if it was in the hands of a decent production team. For Dragon Quest VIII, Level 5 made the best damn "Akira Toriyama style" game models I've ever seen, they totally blow the DBZ models out of the water.

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:55 pm

Oh I meant in 2D like Pixar and the like..
Just Saiyan...

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:02 pm

SaiyaMel wrote:Oh I meant in 3D like Pixar and the like..
Yes, we all know what you meant. I was just replying to Velasa about how 3D models using Akira Toriyama's style can be done right and look good as it was already achieved years ago in the hands of more competent model designers and producers who worked on Dragon Quest VIII. DBZ game developers failed to make a decent transition of AT's style from 2D to 3D most of the time(even in their FMVs), hence Velasa's issue with how it may seem as if it can't be done right.

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Captain-Sora wrote:
SaiyaMel wrote:Oh I meant in 3D like Pixar and the like..
Yes, we all know what you meant. I was just replying to Velasa about how 3D models using Akira Toriyama's style can be done right and look good as it was already achieved years ago in the hands of more competent model designers and producers who worked on Dragon Quest VIII. DBZ game developers failed to make a decent transition of AT's style from 2D to 3D most of the time(even in their FMVs), hence Velasa's issue with how it may seem as if it can't be done right.
Well I mentioned "like Avatar" - which is 3D. I would agree, and would it be possible for the same group that developed Dragon Quest VIII to get involved in it?

I am thinking something like this (if it were to come true) would be best off made in Japan. And I'm pretty sure it will suck if FOX makes it..
Just Saiyan...

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:51 pm

SaiyaMel wrote:I would agree, and would it be possible for the same group that developed Dragon Quest VIII to get involved in it?
I really doubt it. Level 5 are just game developers. I was just using them as an example as they managed to do justice to AT's art style with 3D models. There's also that Blue Dragon game that Akira Toriyama was also involved in regarding the art and designs, that game also more or less managed to capture his style properly, albeit his more current "super deformed" style.

With that said, I really doubt Dragon Ball would make a bad transition to a CGI film if it were in capable hands.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:04 pm

If it's done like TMNT with animation that looks like the ones in the BT intros then I'm up for it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

jaywonder
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jaywonder » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:37 am

Captain-Sora wrote:
Velasa wrote:
It actually can look good if it was in the hands of a decent production team. For Dragon Quest VIII, Level 5 made the best damn "Akira Toriyama style" game models I've ever seen, they totally blow the DBZ models out of the water.

hmm....that could work....

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:22 pm

I disagree with the Dragon Quest example. That was just a PS2 doing its best to emulate a hand-drawn style. If your only goal is to get as close as you can to the hand-drawn art style, why don't you just... hand draw it?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage