Least favourite character

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: Least favourite character

Post by Rocketman » Fri May 21, 2010 10:17 am

Echo64 wrote:Non-canon I would have to say Goten in Dragon Ball GT. In my opinion they completely ruined the character, I know there wasn't a lot of character development in GT, but still. I don't see how a shy character can grow up to be girl hungry
Through the magic of puberty.

And also, that particular character development happened in Z.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Fri May 21, 2010 10:31 am

Y'know I hadn't even considered GT. Goten's bimbo girlfriend was extremely obnoxious and added nothing. I'm changing my answer to her. She was Maron with any slight redeeming value stripped away.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Fri May 21, 2010 11:22 am

I know I threw out Broly rather quickly. So you know he is still my least favorite movie character.

But, I would like my least favorite non-canon anime character. That would be Pan. They totally destroyed her in GT.
She could have grown up being a secure, strong and supporting female character, but they just had to add her into the typical Dragonball female character.
It's like they added Chichi and Bulma's worst flaws, and put them into Pan.

My least favorite character from the manga would be Kid Buu. He is shallowly portrayed, too simple as a character. To be frank, I thought that Toriyama was trying to make his work less by making Buu weaker, smaller and simpler as a character.
He didn't have to make anyone stronger by a transformation, he could just keep them that way.
And yeah, he could reuse the Genki Dama again.
Rage is not cool, rage is not entertaining. That's why characters like Sasuke suck.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Fri May 21, 2010 2:46 pm

Travis Touchdown wrote:Krillin. I don't know why, but the character just irritated me to no end. I deeply enjoyed it when Cell kicked him or whatever.
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Yeah, I somehow found Kuririn deeply annoying too. I think it may have been the ol' "Ooh, a sexy cyborg kissed me, which is a big deal for a sexless moron like me! I won't kill you, even if it results in the genocidal murder of innocent people from a monstrous killing machine!" thing that Kuririn did in the Cell Arc. Yeah, that was what topped it off for me...
Wow.
I realize this stuff was posted almost two months ago, but coming across this, I just couldn't ignore it. This is the first time in a long while I've been this sorely tempted to regress into Idiotic Angry Drama Teenager kenisu. But that's all I'll say.
Rory wrote:In This Thread:
People who have never read Dragon Ball, and do not know the awesome that is Kuririn!
You are my new best friend. 8)
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Fri May 21, 2010 3:43 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I don't dislike Chaozu. I'm more angry at Toriyama for wasting the little potential that character had to be interesting.
Indeed, thank you very much!

I wish he made more out of him. I always get disappointed when I don't see him alongside the others.

Like on Dragon Ball Attack of the Saiyans. Almost everything about that game was perfect. The only thing missing for me was Chaozu as selectable character.
I was also disappointed that he wasn't included in the Dragon Ball Kai 3rd ending theme.

There was Goku, Gohan, Krillin, Yamcha, Piccolo, Tenshinhan, Vegeta and Trunks, but no Chaozu.. but oh well, he wasn't really included in the Cell Saga so it's just me.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri May 21, 2010 3:50 pm

Jaetinh wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:I don't dislike Chaozu. I'm more angry at Toriyama for wasting the little potential that character had to be interesting.
Indeed, thank you very much!

I wish he made more out of him. I always get disappointed when I don't see him alongside the others.

Like on Dragon Ball Attack of the Saiyans. Almost everything about that game was perfect. The only thing missing for me was Chaozu as selectable character.
I was also disappointed that he wasn't included in the Dragon Ball Kai 3rd ending theme.

There was Goku, Gohan, Krillin, Yamcha, Piccolo, Tenshinhan, Vegeta and Trunks, but no Chaozu.. but oh well, he wasn't really included in the Cell Saga so it's just me.
I also wish Toriyama did something more with Chaozu--but then again, what else could he do? Chaozu was basically created just to be a partner (training partner) to Tenshinhan. He never did much in the way of fighting, and his greatest fight to date was against Kuririn, which he still lost. In the world of Dragon Ball, there's not much you can do with a character who relies mainly on his psychic skills rather than his fighting skills.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri May 21, 2010 4:16 pm

I don't know. I feel that's sort of a defeatist attitude that exists simply because that was the way the story DID develop, if you get my drift. Toriyama could have given Chaozu more to do. He could have made psychic powers more effective. He could have chosen not to kill him off or incapacitate him at every possible moment. But he did, and he wrote the story in the directions he chose to, in a way very incompatible to Chaozu; therefore, it's hard for people to see how he COULD have been incorporated. At least, that's how I see it.

It's sort of the same way I feel about the human characters being pushed to the side, and people saying, "Well, it just wouldn't have been possible for them to keep up." Well, Toriyama created ridiculous, ass-pulling, come out of nowhere power ups all the time. There's no reason he couldn't have found a plausible way to keep them effective. He simply chose not to.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri May 21, 2010 4:33 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I don't know. I feel that's sort of a defeatist attitude that exists simply because that was the way the story DID develop, if you get my drift. Toriyama could have given Chaozu more to do. He could have made psychic powers more effective. He could have chosen not to kill him off or incapacitate him at every possible moment. But he did, and he wrote the story in the directions he chose to, in a way very incompatible to Chaozu; therefore, it's hard for people to see how he COULD have been incorporated. At least, that's how I see it.

It's sort of the same way I feel about the human characters being pushed to the side, and people saying, "Well, it just wouldn't have been possible for them to keep up." Well, Toriyama created ridiculous, ass-pulling, come out of nowhere power ups all the time. There's no reason he couldn't have found a plausible way to keep them effective. He simply chose not to.
Yeah, I agree with you. He was more than just "Tenshinhan's weird little friend".
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Fri May 21, 2010 7:18 pm

Don't particularly care for Chauzu's mime appearance. Sorry little guy.. Other than that, I think he's okay. And I don't really mind Mr. Satan. :)
Just Saiyan...

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat May 22, 2010 7:24 am

kenisu3000 wrote:Wow.
I realize this stuff was posted almost two months ago, but coming across this, I just couldn't ignore it. This is the first time in a long while I've been this sorely tempted to regress into Idiotic Angry Drama Teenager kenisu. But that's all I'll say.
My favorite part was when he talks to Trunks about it.

Krillin: So these Androids are bad, right?
Trunks: ...yeah, have you not been listening to anything I've said? They kill all of you, slaughter most of the population of Earth, keep the rest in constant terror, and they murdered my best friend and lifelong mentor and I found his corpse face-down in a filthy ditch. Why'd you ask such a stupid question?
Krillin: The chick is hot and I wanna bone her.
Trunks: *eye twitch*

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Sat May 22, 2010 9:01 am

Seriously he puts the life of some murderer of whom he just met and whom he knows slaughters all of humanity over his childhood friends. Kuririn's a royal prick in the Android arc. He totally regresses back into selfish "let me think about my own needs first" Kuririn from early Dragon Ball.

That being said he's still not my least favorite character.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:27 pm

Bio-Broli. Who is technically a separate character from regular Broli (who I also hate, though not as much as his lab-made counterpart) since he's a clone.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

DBZ_1997

Post by DBZ_1997 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:45 am

I'm gonna say Captain Ginyu.... For some reason his attack of switching bodies annoyed me.

Not much of a reason to hate someone but there it is. :)

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:39 am

I guess Yamacha, just pointless and boring. He was interesting when he was first introduced with the girl fear and all..but meh, in DBZ he's just useless.
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:32 am

I don't know why people are posting in this thread from May when there's an identical, recent one currently active.
-Rachel